• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,027 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,027

Opening up

Rainbow Dash was flying the sky's above Ponyville keeping an eye out for Anton, "Come on, kid. Where are you?" she looked around until she spotted him standing by a tree around the park, "Gotcha!" she flew down for a close up.

She got closer but noticed her wasn't aware of her presence yet. She watched as he was picking up nearby sticks and twigs and breaking them in half before dropping them in a pile. She saw he looked very upset as he was snapping the sticks in half

She finally decided he had enough space and approached, "Anton?"

Anton looked back and saw her, "Oh, it's you, Rainbow Dash. What're you doing here?"

"Looking for you is what. The girls were worried about you when you ran off. You even gave me and Fluttershy a scare too."

"I see. Sorry about that." he looked down feeling guilty.

Rainbow noticed the pile of broken sticks, "Do I wanna know what you've been doing?"

"Hey, I break sticks when I'm upset. I'm sure everyone around here has their methods with dealing with frustration."

"I'm not judging." Rainbow calmed him.

"Sorry, it's just I was having such a nice first day at school, and then some jerk comes out and has make me feel like a loser."

"Who is this jerk?" Rainbow demanded, "Tell me who it is, and I'll teach 'em a lesson in picking on others."

"As tempting as I'd like that, Rainbow. You shouldn't do it. I can't have others coming to my rescue over something like that."

"Still, he had no excuse to go and treat you badly." Rainbow replied.

"I'm use to it." Anton replied.

"Use to it?" Rainbow asked in disbelief, as Anton nodded, "Look why don't we get back to Fluttershy? She's worried more than she usually is," she spread her wings, "Hop on."

Anton was surprised at her offer, "Really? I mean are you sure you can carry me?"

"You're looking at one of the strongest ponies in Ponyville." she boasted.

"I thought that was Applejack?" Anton joked, until Rainbow scowled. Anton laughed, "That was a joke."

Rainbow smiled, and spoke, "Come on, kid," So Anton climbed on her back, "Hang on." Rainbow took it to the sky, as Anton made sure to hold on. She flew around the sky, as Anton started cheering from the thrill of flying. He looked down seeing all of Ponyville.

"This is so cool!" he cheered.

"And awesome, right?" Rainbow asked.

"Very awesome!"

Rainbow smirked, as she performed some aerial maneuvers much to Anton's already heated excitement. Rainbow smiled seeing Anton was happy again. She looked down seeing her friends, the CMC, D.T, and S.S looking around Ponyville for Anton.

"Hang on, Anton. We're going down," Rainbow flew down before landing on the ground, "Sup, guys?"

Anton got off Rainbow Dash, and was met with a embrace by Fluttershy, "Oh, Anton, I was so worried about you!" she nuzzled him as if she was nuzzling one of her animal friends.

"Fluttershy, I'm ok. Really I am." Anton answered, feeling ready to suffocate from her smothering.

Fluttershy released him and he regained his air, before Applejack and Rarity trotted over, "Are ya ok, Sugarcube? Applebloom and the others told us what happened at school." Applejack said with concern.

"I simply cannot believe somepony would say such things to a well respected boy like yourself." Rarity added.

"Well, he did. All because I was the new student and he wasn't anymore." Anton answered bitterly.

"Jealousy is a very powerful force," Twilight began, "It can really bring out the worse behavior in a pony." the girls glanced at Twilight recalling how she felt like that before.

Rainbow spoke, "Anton told me he's use to this kind of behavior from others."

The older ponies looked at Anton in confusion, but deep down knew why. The fillies however were confused truthfully, "What do you mean 'use to it'?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Anton seeing how they were all curious about what he said, knew he couldn't keep it to himself forever, "All right. I'll tell you. But can we do this elsewhere?" he asked seeing they were too out in the open.

"Let's go back to my place." Fluttershy suggested.

"Good idea." Twilight agreed, as the group headed off.


So they returned to Fluttershy's place, where they all sat down having some tea. Twilight spoke up, "Ok, Anton. Talk to us."

"Yeah. How can you be use to being ridiculed?" Diamond Tiara asked in concern.

"Did you get a lot of it from where you used to live?" Silver Spoon wondered.

"Yes, but it wasn't by everyone. Just two people." Anton sighed.

"Talk to us, sweetie," Rarity beckoned, "We're here for you."

Anton feeling confident to go through with it spoke up, "All right. You see after my father died, my mother and I went to live with my aunt Katrina and cousin Rodney. My uncle Ron used to be there, but he divorced my aunt and left her."

"How come?" Applebloom asked, only to be shushed by Applejack.

Anton continued, "My mom and I were glad we had a place to stay, but who were staying with didn't make us feel happy. Uppercut's behavior towards me reminded me of my cousin Rodney. He'd always pick fights with me over petty and biased reasons. Sometimes he'd drive me past the point of tolerance forcing me to defend myself. But when I do my aunt always comes in and takes his side making me out to be the bad guy. There have been times he'd tell me the only reason me and my mom were allowed to stay with them is because it's their duty as 'good people'." Anton did air quotes.

"Doesn't sound like good treatment to me." Sweetie Belle replied not liking the way Rodney treated Anton.

"Me either." Diamond Tiara agreed.

"But didn't your aunt ever do anything when he treated you so badly?" Pinkie asked feeling sad for the sake of not spilling their secret.

"No. She always took his side. In fact even if she did know he started it she probably wouldn't care." Anton answered.

"How come?" Scootaloo asked.

"Because she's the second person who made me feel worthless." Anton answered with anger.

The fillies gasped, as Fluttershy spoke, "Why would she do that?"

"Because she's always been jealous of my mom, her sister," Anton explained, "My mom was the first to marry before her and loved more than her. But I never bought that second part. She was just an attention hound who wanted it all. She always treated my mom like dirt making her feel as if she was a bad parent and wasn't raising me right. Because she treated everyone around her as if they were beneath her Uncle Ron left and we never saw him again. She had my mom so intimidated she could never argue with her and believed she was always right."

"Sounds worse than my mother." Diamond Tiara said.

"When mom died, my aunt was planning to turn me into a servant and raise me in her methods of raising kids. I couldn't stay there anymore so I ran away never wanting to see any of them for the rest of my life."

"Oh, Anton." Fluttershy gasped. Even though they heard it from Luna already, hearing it from his own mouth made it sound sadder.

"That was a mighty big move to make, running away." Applejack noted.

"I know. But I'd rather be anywhere than back there." Anton answered.

"We're really sorry you had to put up with such bad caregivers, Anton." Twilight apologized.

"There's nothing to apologize for. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with those two again. But now I got some pony counterpart worse than my cousin who knew absolutely nothing about me come out and make me feel like I had no place here."

"But you do have a place here," Fluttershy replied, as he looked at her, "You belong here with me, with all of us. And nopony has the right to tell you otherwise."

"Fluttershy's right, Anton," Rarity agreed, "You're not alone anymore. You have us now. And we will never treat you the way your aunt or cousin have treated you."

"You all promise?" Anton asked hopefully.

"We Pinkie Promise!" Pinkie began, as everypony around performed the ritual, "Cross my Heart and hope to Fly. Stick a Cupcake in my Eye."

Anton was confused at this promise ritual, but knew if it was anything like the pinky finger cross promise back home he knew they meant it. He smiled and spoke, "Thanks, girls. I really appreciate this." the ponies gathered around Anton for a group hug, "And don't worry. If Uppercut continues to be mean to me, I won't let his words get to me."

"That's the spirit, Anton." Rainbow replied.

Twilight thought to herself, 'Princess Celestia and Princess Luna will be glad to hear Anton's starting to open up to us.'


The next day at school, Fluttershy was once again walking Anton to school before meeting up with the CMC, D.T, and S.S. Before they went inside, Cheerilee came out and went to the boy.

"Anton!"

"Ms. Cheerilee?"

"Anton, I want to apologize for the behavior of Uppercut yesterday."

"You saw that?" Anton asked, and the teacher nodded.

"And you don't have to worry. I gave him a strict talking to as well as letting his parents know about his behavior. He won't be giving you any trouble any time soon."

"Wow. Thanks, Ms. Cheerilee. I don't know what to say."

Cheerilee smiled, "You don't have to say anything. As a teacher it's my job to not only educate the young minds, but to also ensure that my students are not treated poorly by other students." Anton smiled, as he and the girls went inside for class.

Throughout the day, Anton paid no mind to Uppercut not caring about what he might've been feeling against him. Even during recess the colt didn't even come near him.

After school, Anton was walking with the CMC, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Pipsqueak, Featherweight, Rumble, and Button Mash.

"So how was your second day here, Anton?" Pip asked.

"Not bad at all. I really am getting to like this place." Anton answered, as he looked up at the school.

"Hey, you!"

The group looked over seeing Uppercut come by, "Oh, great." Anton sighed, but knew he was going to have to deal with him sooner or later.

"Just ignore him, Anton. Let's just go." Applebloom said, as they wanted to leave before worse things could be said.

"No. I got this," he stood his ground as Uppercut stopped before him, "What do you want, Uppercut?"

"An apology."

The kids were confused, as Anton asked in equal confusion, "Apology for what?"

"Because of you Ms. Cheerilee kept me after school until my parents came and told them what happened yesterday. And thanks to you I've been grounded for two weeks." Uppercut explained angrily.

Anton frowned at his words, "How is you getting grounded for ridiculing me my fault?!"

"Yeah, tell us?" Diamond Tiara challenged him, as the others waited for his response.

Uppercut answered, "I don't know. It just is!"

Anton just looked in disbelief, "Wow. Could you be anymore pathetic?"

"What did you say?" Uppercut frowned.

"Look at yourself. You're blaming me for getting grounded because you got caught insulting me. And you don't even have a reason why it's my fault. You just wanna blame everything you do out on others, and pretend that you're a perfect child. Well, get this, Uppercut. You are far from perfection, and you will never reach that status if you keep treating others like that." he turned and started walking away with the others.

"Hey! You get back here! I'm not done talking to you!" Uppercut called out.

"Well, I'm done listening to you!" Anton called back without even turning to face him, "You're not worth it, Uppercut. You never were."

Uppercut frowned at Anton's response before seeing every other school pony around turn their faces away from him in disgust having not forgiven him for his attitude yesterday. They all walked off leaving him alone. He frowned until he looked down in humiliation and walked away knowing no pony at school was going to pay him any mind now that they saw him for what he truly was.


As Anton and his group of friends walked, Applebloom spoke, "We're really proud of ya, Anton."

"Yeah. I almost thought you were gonna do something to him." Scootaloo added.

"Believe me, I was almost tempted to punch him right in the muzzle." Anton answered.

"Ooh, that would hurt." Featherweight cringed.

"I know. But if I did that it wouldn't change anything. So I just let go of my anger and walked away."

"And if he tries anymore of that to you?" Button Mash asked.

"I'll just keep on doing what I did until he realizes he's only kidding himself."

"And if he never does?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Then he'll just be the loneliest guy there is, and the only thing he'll have is the pity from others."

"That's deep." Silver Spoon gasped.

"I know."

"Hey, enough of all this downhearted talk," Sweetie Belle spoke up, "Let's go get something at Sugarcube Corner."

"Sounds great." Scootaloo agreed.

"Me too." Anton smiled.

"Let's go!" Pipsqueak called, as the group ran off to their chosen destination, while unaware of the Mane Six watching them from afar with smiles on their faces.