• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,027 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,027

An Artists Opportunity

At Fluttershy's cottage one afternoon, Fluttershy and the rest of the girls were outside enjoying some tea and biscuits, "Now this is a perfect day for chillaxing." Rainbow told the girls.

"You said it." Applejack, answered before eating a biscuit.

The group suddenly saw coming down from the sky were the royal sisters themselves. Upon seeing them Twilight went into full panic mode, "Oh my gosh! Did I forget to reply to a letter from the princess, or did I forget they were coming today. Oh, I hope I'm not in trouble!"

Spike smacked the back of her head, "Better?" he asked.

"Yes, thanks." she answered in sarcasm.

The two sisters landed, and the girls and Spike greeted them, "Good afternoon, princesses."

"Good afternoon, everypony." Celestia greeted them.

"Sorry if we've intruded on your private time." Luna apologized.

"Not at all, Princess." Fluttershy replied.

"What brings you two all the way here?" Applejack inquired.

"Got some threat you need us to take care of?" Rainbow asked, while getting psyched.

"Do I have some unexpected Princess duty to attend to?" Twilight inquired.

"Actually, we're here to see Anton." Celestia answered.

"Anton?" the girls asked.

"Yes. We have something very important to discuss with him," Luna explained, as she and Celestia looked around, "Is he here?"

"I'm afraid he's out with his friends," Fluttershy began, "But I'm sure he'll be back soon."

The group suddenly heard cheering and hollering close by. Rainbow smirked, "Like right now."

They saw Anton, Rumble, Pip, Featherweight, and Button Mash running down the path leading to Fluttershy's. They ran down the path cheering and hooting before pulling to a stop and laughed, "Man, oh, man. Those fillies run faster when we get the drop of them." Anton told his friends.

"No kidding." Rumble chuckled.

"Another successful day out, eh, boys?" Pip asked, as they high fived/hoofed.

The boys turned to the group, "Hi, mom. Hey, girls," Anton began until they saw the royal sisters, "Princess Celestia! Princess Luna!"

"The Princesses?" Rumble and Featherweight gasped.

"Princess Luna." Pip said in awe.

The boys quickly bowed down to show them respect, until Celestia spoke, "You may rise, boys." The boys got up as Luna gave Pipsqueak a wink, making the little colt swoon.

"What brings you two all the way from Canterlot?" Anton asked.

"Why you of course, Anton." Luna answered.

"Me?" Anton looked at his friends before looking back at the sisters, "Look whatever it is, I didn't do it!"

Celestia chuckled, "It's ok, Anton. You're not in any trouble at all."

"That's a relief. So then why did you want to see me?"

"There is an event being held in Canterlot soon, one we think you may be interested in." Luna levitated a flyer into Anton's possession.

Anton's friends looked over his shoulder, as the boy read from it, "Canterlot Art Exhibition this weekend in Canterlot. An art exhibition. That's definitely right up my alley."

"Keep reading." Celestia insisted.

Anton continued, "Anypony welcomed to display their artwork is welcomed to participate. Artwork will be judged by renowned artist Art Nouveau."

Rarity gasped, "Art Nouveau is indeed one of Equestria's best artists. His artwork filled up an entire museum."

"Seriously?" Anton gasped, and Rarity nodded.

"We thought you would like to know about this if you were interested in participating." Luna tempted Anton.

"Wow. Anton this could be a big chance for you." Featherweight noted.

"To display your own art with the top artists." Rumble added.

"I know. But am I allowed? I mean I'm going out on a limb and guess there will be more adults than anyone my age participating."

"So surprise them," Rainbow suggested, "Show them you have what it takes to have your artwork be displayed with theirs."

"But would my artwork be able to hold a candle to professional's work?"

"Even if they don't, at least you'd take a chance." Applejack said.

"And we've seen your artwork," Twilight reminded him, "And we'd love to see them on a bigger display."

"We sure would!" Pinkie grinned.

"But we won't force you, Anton. That'll be up to you." Fluttershy assured him.

Anton looked back at the flyer pondering on what to do. Finally he looked at the sisters and spoke, "Mark me down as a participant."

The girls smiled along with the sisters, as Celestia spoke, "A wise choice, Anton. We do look forward to seeing what you will submitting." Celestia and Luna flew off.

"Bye!" Pinkie waved.

Anton's boys looked at him, as Pip asked, "Well, Anton, what're you going to do now?"

Anton looked at his short friend, "Well, it's obvious isn't it? I got get started on what I'm gonna make. There's so many possibilities. I mean it can't just be anything. It has to be exhibition worthy." Anton continued to ramble on, while Spike turned to Twilight.

"And I thought you loved to be prepared."

Anton spoke, "I'll need to ponder on this. Guy's, I may be unavailable for awhile." he told his friends.

"Say no more, Anton." Button Mash answered.

"You just focus on what you're gonna do." Featherweight said, as they trotted off for home.

"Would you like some help, Anton?" Twilight offered.

"Don't worry, I got this," Anton assured her, "Yes, sir. I'm all over this."


Two days later, Anton was in his room surrounded by crumpled up pieces of paper, "I don't got this." he groaned. Nick crawled up to him and tried to give him comfort. Anton patted his head but didn't feel any better.

Fluttershy came in and saw the mess, "Anton, is everything ok?"

"Not so much, mom," he answered, "I just can't get with it. The exhibition is in four days, and I haven't even begun. I don't know where to start."

"Well, where do you normally start at?" the pegasus asked, as she cleaned up the paper balls.

"It all starts with inspiration. An idea, if you will. But I'm just fresh out of them." Anton sighed, while dropping his head.

Fluttershy knew she had to get her son out of his funk. Then an idea popped into her head, "You know what I do to clear my mind?"

"Surround yourself with all the animals?" he guessed.

"Yes, but in your case why don't you go for a walk? You could really use it."

Anton looked intrigued, "Huh. You're right. I have been in my room too long. A little fresh air may be what I need." He got up and headed out.


Out in Ponyville, Anton was walking around and relieving himself of the stress he worked up, "Well, I'm calmer now. But I still don't know what I'm gonna submit," he took a look around seeing the various ponies going about their daily lives, while also noticing various ponies running their business establishments.

"Being artistic may be a great talent, but sometimes I see everyone's jobs or careers aren't as difficult as trying to come up with a passable work of art. They all work just like it's their place in Equestria. Where they belong. Like their cutie marks they're like symbols," Anton suddenly got curious, "Place. Symbols..." a smiled grew onto Anton's face as he shouted, "I got it!" he suddenly saw everypony had stopped and looked at him awkwardly. At first Anton felt sheepish, until he brushed it off and ran off cheering.

Among ponies who watched him leave included Lyra, Bonbon, Derpy, and Doc. Bonbon turned to the three and asked, "What was that about?"

Lyra and Derpy were unsure, until Doc answered, "I guess he's got it."


Anton returned to the cottage and barged in surprising Fluttershy, "Mom!"

Fluttershy who hid behind her couch in fright peeked out to see Anton, "Anton, you're back. Did you clear your head on the matter?"

"All that and more," he answered with joy, "I finally know what to make."

"Really?" Fluttershy asked, "That's great."

"Yeah. I gotta get started right away! And thanks for the advice." Anton hugged her before heading to his room.

Upon entering he saw Nick curled up on his bed. When the fox saw his best friend return, he got up and went to the edge of the bed, "Hey, Nicky!" Anton ruffled his pets head, "I'm back and I'm booming with a new idea. Now I just need to give it form." he turned to his paint canvas. He smirked knowing it was time to get to work.