• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,026 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,026

Bonding over Books

One day at Twilight's castle, Anton was walking through the halls with Twilight and Spike showing him around.

"This place is just amazing." Anton said, while marveling at the crystal-like interior.

"Yeah, though if anything I would prefer the old library tree." Twilight admitted.

"Yeah, but on the upside I have my own room now." Spike noted, and Twilight couldn't help but smile.

"Though with all this space and rooms, I'm surprised it's just you two living here." Anton noted.

"Well, we did have somepony living here with us." Spike answered.

"Who?"

"Starlight Glimmer, but she decided to move out and move in with her childhood friend in the Crystal Empire." Twilight explained.

"What's she like?"

Twilight and Spike looked at each other wondering how to put it, until Twilight answered, "She's quite the talented unicorn, even managing to pull off spells even I couldn't do."

"You don't say?" Anton replied.

"Oh, yeah. Stuff you couldn't imagine." Spike added, only to receive a nudge from Twilight signaling him to leave it at that.


They entered the main room seeing the table map, the thrones surrounding it and the root chandelier above.

"So what's this room?"

"This is the Cutie Map," Twilight showed Anton to the map, "Ever since my castle emerged, this map also appeared with it. Whenever there's a friendship problem anywhere in Equestria the map not only alerts us, but also picks the pony or ponies that are best suited to help solve the problem.

"Neat. But is the map really that accurate in who to pick?"

"Some of the girls question why they're chosen for a particular problem, but they eventually discover the true reason why there were picked."

"This truly sounds like a big job."

"Maybe, but problems don't spring up willy nilly. Which is good, less problems there are in Equestria means the more at peace it is." The princess explained.

"If only peace were that simple from my world." Anton sighed.


They walked into a study room with a shelf of books, sofa, and arm chair, "This is where I go to relax and study."

"When you're not doing it in the throne room." Spike quipped, and Anton chuckled.

Anton noticed the literature, "I know the library in the castle is packed with books, though what do you keep in here personally."

"Just certain works for a little light reading."

Anton took notice of a big hard covered book on the shelf that takes up two spaces, "This is light?" he asked dryly.

Twilight giggled sheepishly, before clearing her throat, "Why don't I make us some cocoa?"

"Sounds good to me." Spike answered.

"And me." Anton agreed.

"Be right back." Twilight left the two.

With Twilight out of the room, Spike and Anton got on the sofa, as the dragon asked the boy, "So did ya bring them?"

"You know it." Anton emptied his backpack revealing his comic book collection.

"So who's on the agenda today?" Spike asked.

Anton had talked to Spike about the various comic book superheroes from his world, while Spike himself introduced Anton to the Power Ponies comic book series.

"Well, last time we covered Superman, so today our hero of the week is... Batman!" Anton showed Spike a Batman comic book.

"Wow, so dark and mysterious." Spike marveled at the hero's cover art.

"He's all that and more. Shall I tell the tale?"

"Please."

"Very well. The story of Batman takes place in the dark crime infested city known as Gotham. One night after walking out of a theater, young Bruce Wayne and his parents were mugged by a criminal who took the lives of the parents leaving young Bruce to suffer. Bruce's innocence was shattered and developed a hate for the crime that cursed his city. So many criminals were getting away with their crimes, and cops weren't successful in catching the worse ones. Bruce decided that if the cops couldn't do anything, then he would."

"Whoa." Spike gasped at Anton's narrating.

"For years Bruce had not only trained and pushed his body to its limits, but studied his mind off learning detective work. Then when he was finally ready to take on the criminal underworld he dawned a costume modeled after a bat."

"Question, why a bat?" Spike inquired.

"Bruce had a traumatic experience with bats when he was just a kids. He decided to become what he fears so that his enemies would also share his dread."

"Wow."

"So Bruce became Batman and started cleaning up the streets of Gotham delivering his own brand of justice to the lawbreakers. And did he have a rogues gallery of lawbreakers. He took on petty criminals," he showed a page in his comic of Batman knocking out a common thief, "The mentally insane," he showed an image of Batman fighting Joker, "Freaks," the next page had Batman facing creatures like Killer Croc and Clayface, "And even those with their own little powers." the last page shown was of Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and Scarecrow.

"Jeez, these villains sound even more dangerous than the Maneiac." Spike said.

"Yeah. Batman's one serious hero who's not scared to go to desperate lengths or do things that the police won't do. That's what makes him one of the more popular heroes in my world."

"Oh, let's read the first volume." Spike pleaded, as he scooted closer.

"Sure thing, pal." Anton said, as they were about to read the comic.

Twilight trotted in using her magic to levitate a tray with cups of cocoa with marshmallows in them, "I'm back."

"Hey, Twi. Spike and I were about to read one of my comics."

"Which is it this time?" Twilight asked.

"Were dealing with a dark hero named Batman." Spike answered.

"I hope it's not too graphic or violent for you two." Twilight said while eying the dark cover art.

"Don't worry it's not so bad." Anton assured.

"Well, ok." she levitated the two their cocoa, before she herself decided to catch up on some reading herself.

In between breaks of reading, Anton saw a picture hanging on the wall that had her along with three other ponies. One was a male unicorn, second was a pink alicon, and the third was a baby alicorn.

"Twilight, who're those three in the picture?" he got up and walked to the frame.

"That? Oh, that's my brother and old foal sitter."

"Huh?"

"The unicorn is my brother Shining Armor, he's actual captain of the Royal guards. His wife is my old foal sitter Cadence, and that little bundle they're holding is my niece, Flurry Heart."

"Cadence and Flurry Heart are also alicorns. Does that mean they're princesses too?"

"That's right. Cadence rules the Crystal Empire with Shining Armor along side her. Flurry Heart was born not too long ago, and was actually the very first naturally born one."

"Naturally born? You mean Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and even Cadence weren't born alicorns?"

"I'm afraid not. Like me they also earned their princess titles."

"Wow to the wow." Anton gasped.

"Maybe I'll introduce you to them some time. I'm sure they'd love to meet you." Twilight smiled.

"You think?"

"I do." she stood at Anton's side, knowing how much he had to miss his own real family.


Some time later, Anton exit the castle with his backpack looking full, "Thanks for lending me these art books, Twilight."

"No problem, Anton. Just promise me you'll bring them back when you're done reading them."

"I promise." Anton hugged Twilight, before turning to Spike, "Don't forget next week, Spike. We'll be covering the hero Flash."

"I'll be waiting." the two fist bumped.

Anton went to his bike and got on, "Let's ride, Silver!" he rode off back to Fluttershy's.

Twilight and Spike watched Anton leave, as Twilight thought, 'He really is a good kid.'