• Published 11th Oct 2015
  • 2,013 Views, 75 Comments

Legend of Zelda: Hero of Equestria - Klearsky52



Part of a legend long erased from history, Link travels the land in search of answers. During his quest, Link meets many creatures of old, telling him tales of a darkness. With the darkness returning, can Link fight back to bring peace?

  • ...
1
 75
 2,013

Training and Legends

Sling!

Slash!

Whoosh!

“Again, your second strike wasn’t as fluid as it should be.”

Sling!

Slash!

Whoosh!

“Again, your second strike is still not fluid while your third strike was really slow. Be faster.”

Sling!

Slash!

Whoosh!

“Again, just because I said so.”

Storm and Sturgeon was right. Orca’s training was hard! It didn't help that Orca was also a perfectionist. Link hated those at school.

“Break time!”

And when those heavenly words came out of his mouth, Link gracefully flopped to the floor. He was panting with sweat shining all over his body.

“Ah come on! It wasn’t that hard!” Orca said. He slapped Link on the back, causing him to groan. His whole body was sore and in pain. Link remembered the conversation he had with Orca about his training.

XFlashbackX

“Your natural abilities with the sword hint at an affinity to a very old fighting style you could learn. Your average unicorn swordspony won’t use it due to its difficulty. I couldn’t even learn it because it was only for unicorns, but I do know how to teach it.”

“What is it?” Link asked. Orca shook his head.

“It's true name was lost a long time ago as it was handed down in my family for generations. All I can tell you is that it consists of both holding the sword with magic and your hooves. You can use your hooves to enhance your attack while using magic can grant some special effects when you swing. We can add to it since you will be using a shield as well.”

“It's that old!?” Link exclaimed in astonishment. Orca nodded.

“I'm green with envy,” Sword said as he stood by Storm. Steel Sword was a grey unicorn with a spiky black mane. His mark showed off a chipped sword in a slashing motion. He was also the unicorn that attacked Link that night, but immediately apologized for it once he found out. He didn't remember any of it either. Lyra still didn’t forgive the both of them though. “When I asked Orca about that, he said I didn’t have the natural affinity for it.”

“What’s up with affinities to fighting styles anyway?” Link asked. Orca just chuckled.

“Everypony has a certain affinity to certain style if they want to learn to fight. Some might use dual knives for more in the defensive-counterattack side while some can use their bare hoofs to just attack and block objects.” He explained. Link looked up, deep in thought.

“Does that mean if I don’t have a certain affinity to style I want to learn, I can't learn it?” He asked.

“No, it doesn’t. It is extremely hard to, but you can learn it. I'm afraid you can't truly master it unless you train every single day for a long period of time. It isn’t impossible, but extremely difficult and time consuming. It is recommended to learn your natural style.”

“And you got a good one Link,” Storm piped up. “The style you’re about to learn is really good.”

“I have to admit, I did not expect you to get this style.” Orca murmured, surprising Link. “That style is really complex. It combines both fluid moves gracefully and fierce at the same time and uses a lot of flexibility. It can also conduct magic into some of its basic attack schemes as well as rely on the user’s speed to dodge the attack. The counterattacks to this thing is what truly makes it stand out though. Each counterattack hits a certain place that can definitely be a weakness in every creature. It took me a while to understand this pattern before I could be able to teach it, which I couldn't do because everypony either had a different affinity to something else or will not want to fight.”

“Wow,” Link said once Orca’s explanation was done. He was going to learn all that!?

“Don't you think that it will not be easy,” Orca warned. Link looked up at him, confusion evident on his face. “Because you have shown this affinity, we will most likely have to train you longer than our planned month. This sword style is one of the hardest there is which should motivate you to work harder. Understand?”

“Yes sir!”

“Then what are you waiting for? Train!”

XEnd FlashbackX

It had been one week since he heard his analysis and he tried really hard. He did! But he just couldn't meet up to Orca’s standards. He wondered if he ever could with the pace he was going at.

“Don't give up!” Orca had barked at him when he saw Link’s fallen expression one time. “What kind of swordspony do you want to be with that weak resolve?! Continue!”

So Link would continue. He slashed, parried, blocked, and counterattacked. It certainly wasn't easy and he certainly did get new bruises everyday, but he continued. It was almost like routine to him now. With each day in passing, he felt his confidence go up more and he was able to stand on his hooves longer when he sparred with Orca or Sword.

Lyra also visited him occasionally. She always said something about how she owed him and gave him lessons on how to use the Goddess Harp, but he didn't buy it. He got better at it under her teachings and even played a short song with her for the village folks, to which they were generally happy about.

That’s another thing: the town itself. Link was initially surprised when everypony welcomed him. It was no surprise to them when Orca said he was teaching him. They were surprised at how young he was, but quickly dismissed it. It was just like the Apple reunion all over again.

So Link would train and go out occasionally, conversing with the village folks he met by. They weren't too picky on his personal information. They didn't even ask about his parents, which Link was grateful for. Previously, he was scared of talking to all the adults, thinking they were more mature and intimidating than him, but he soon found out that some were more like him than he thought and he was pleasantly surprised to find that he shared a few passing interests with some.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Orca pulled him up in standing position.

“Break time’s over,” He said with a smirk. Link inwardly flinched at himself when he noticed Orca's somewhat sadistic gaze. He didn't notice the time pass by so quickly, even though break period wasn't really long in the first place.

“Aw come on!” Link complained as he got up. He could barely feel any magic inside him. Orca just shook his head in disappointment.

“This style may be better than most, but it also requires more attention and training because of it. We also need to teach you some of the weaknesses of it. Every style has a weakness and it’s best if you learn most of them if you want to face against future opponents,” Link grunted in acknowledgment and raised his sword with his hoof this time. “Let's work on your parries and blocks.”

And they trained some more. Link blocked and parried with his sword and shield while Orca delivered the attacks. Hours had gone by while Link and Orca still trained, Link being really tired and sweaty. Sounds of metal clashing against each other filled the air as they continued. Orca called a halt when it was evening.

“You’re progressing faster than I expected. That’s good because if you keep up at this rate, you may be able to finish by the end of this month.”

“Yes!” Link shouted, pumping his hoof up in victory before he immediately started to groan and slumped down on the dirt. He sustained a fresh batch of new bruises every time he trained, this session being no exception. He hoped that the end of the month came soon.

“Come with me,” Orca suddenly said as he walked towards the door. Link groaned even more.

“Why should I come?” Link whined as he remained on the floor. He would sleep right then and there if he could. Anything to get away from this pain. Orca walked over to him and yanked him up once more.

“Because it is unbecoming of you to just lie there. No honorable swordspony of mine is going to just do that,” He answered, dragging Link along with him. Link mumbled something about stupid teachers and reluctantly followed after him.

“I need to get some groceries and would appreciate it if you would help,” Orca said. Link nodded absentmindedly. All he was trying to do was to stop thinking of the soreness of his muscles. He then noticed a mare walking by him, holding flowers. She kept her head down, but Link saw the tears that flowed through her eyes as she trudged by him.

“Why’s she sad?” Link asked when he knew she was out of earshot. Orca’s face turned grim.

“Her husband was a royal guard like Storm. He died in a bandit attack not too long ago, before you came. I think her husband’s ceremony was over and she’s going to pay her final respects at the graveyard.”

“This place has a graveyard?” Link asked, astonished. He walked around here a lot but he didn’t see a graveyard anywhere. Orca shook his head.

“It’s on the far side of town and not many people go there to see it. I don’t recommend you go, Link. It wouldn’t be good for your young mind,” Link frowned at that but said nothing afterwards. They continued to walk towards the marketplace when Link heard a familiar voice shout at him:

“Hey Link!” Link saw Lyra walking towards him. “I didn’t see you there. You’re always cramped up in that house. I can hear you training even from here!”

“Hey Lyra.” Link greeted as Orca nodded. “How’ve you been?”

“Better.” She said, waving her hoof passively. “ I just wanted to tell you that I’m going back to Ponyville tomorrow morning. I don’t want to keep my friends waiting.”

“Oh.” Link said as he realized that he didn’t want her to go. She made his days here somewhat bearable, even though he wasn’t here long. “That’s...great."

“How’s the harp?” Lyra asked, oblivious to Link's dull response. Link shook his head and smiled.

“It’s fine. Not a scratch.” Link said. Lyra sighed.

“I wanted to thank you again for back in the forest.” she said softly. Link just looked at her with a confused expression on his face.

“Why? That was so long ago and you already did,” Lyra just shook her head.

“You don’t know how important my life is to me. Everyone’s life is important to them. You may think it’s no big deal, but it sure is a big deal to me,” She sighed again. “And I brought down the mood again. That’s no fun. Want to walk with me and talk more?” She offered. Link looked at Orca, who nodded his approval.

“Go ahead. She’s leaving here and you may not see her again in a long time. You deserve a break,” Orca said with a smile. Link smiled back before he walked away with Lyra.

“Are you sure you don’t want the harp back?” Link asked, hesitating. He never did like taking things from other people. It was also her special keepsake for goddess’ sake!

“It should be enough payment for what you’ve done for me. In fact, let me tell you a legend about that harp.” Lyra said as she looked towards Link.

“There’s a legend to that thing?” Link asked. Lyra laughed.

“Not really a legend. Just a story my grandma told about the harp when she gave it to me. It went like this":

XxX

Three golden goddesses descended down from the heavens and shot across space. Their names were Din, Nayru, and Farore. They were told as the three most powerful beings of the universe. Din, carrying the flames of life, burned the land anew and created the red earth. Her power was raw and untamed as she banished the black world this once was into the land it is now today. Nayru, with her infinite wisdom, created the souls and laws of the universe this world would follow. Farore, with her everlasting courage, created the vessels the souls would inhabit and inspired them with bravery, making them go to new heights in discoveries and exploration. They created the lands and realms this world keeps within and went back to their rightful birthplaces in the heavens above, never to be seen again.

XxX

Lyra finished with a dramatic pause before she looked over at Link. Link was wide eyed and his ears was up, drinking the words spoken to him. “So, what do you think?”

“I think it’s amazing!” Link exclaimed. He then looked confused. “But what does it have to do with the harp?”

“My grandma said that the goddess’ used this harp once in order for them to aid in their creation of the world and it was left here as one of their gifts.” Lyra said. “Why else is it called the Goddess Harp in the first place?” Link nodded, satisfied with the answer. He looked up at the sky to find it getting dark.

“It’s getting late now. I should probably go,” Link said as he looked back at Lyra. Lyra smiled.

“I hope I get to meet you again. Bonbon wouldn’t believe that I got saved by a mere foal! See you later!” She said, waving goodbye. Link ignored the playful jab and waved back as he walked by back to his cliffside. He then slumped his head down. Time for him to go back to training. He almost wished he went back with Lyra.

(Applejack’s POV)

Applejack was sweating by the time she was done bucking apples. She watched as the sun steadily went down and was slowly replaced by the moon. It was a signal for her to get going. She didn’t want to miss her granny’s cooking. She would start ranting to her about manners and how she should be early about everything again. She looked back at the orchard and hurried over to the barn.

“Yer almost late again.” Granny Smith said as she waved her cane over at her when she entered the barn. “That ain’t like you.”

“Sorry Granny,” Applejack said as he lowered her head. “Ah lost track of th’ time. Cider season’s about t' start and we still have all these apples to go through.”

“Y' work too hard child,” Granny chided. She slowly rubbed Applejack’s mane affectionately. “Y' need to rest more. Do you want ah repeat of what happened last time?” Applejack winced at that. She remembered how she screwed the whole town over because of her pride. She definitely did not want a repeat of that.

Applejack snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a large thump on the roof of the barn, followed by a yelp and another thump near the door. Applejack rolled her eyes. It must’ve been Ditzy. Rainbow wouldn’t be flying this late outside. Granny Smith opened the door.

“Hi Ms. Smith! I got a letter for you!” Ditzy said, her eyes still spinning from the two hits. She rummaged through her bag and handed over an envelope towards her.

“But we have a-” Applejack tried to say before Ditzy clumsily zoomed off. She saw her hit herself on a lamppost before shaking it off and flying once more “-mailbox.”

“Crazy one, she is.” Granny Smith chuckled before opening the letter. She pulled out the piece of paper and started to read. Her reaction while reading it worried Applejack.

Granny’s eyes started to get wider and wider before tears started to come from her eyes, dropping onto the paper. She started to weep openly. Applejack immediately started to comfort her, not knowing what was going on. Her Granny almost never cried, so what was on the letter to make her do so?

“What’s goin’ on?” Applebloom asked as she walked downstairs. Her eyes widened when she saw Granny Smith crying. “Why’s granny crying like that big sis’?”

“I don’ know Applebloom,” Applejack murmured before Big Mac came into the room also. He said nothing to the both of them as he slowly started to read the paper. His eyes became wider and wider as well before he just sat there, staring at the paper with a thousand-yard stare. Applejack had never seen these reactions on them before. She took the letter from Big Mac and started to read it herself.

Dear Ms. Smith

We regret to inform you of the tragic event of what has happened to your second son. He has passed away due to many stab wounds. It is suspected that he was murdered two nights before as it was reported from Caretaker, also reported to be one of his close friends. We also regret to inform you that Link, who we know has been adopted into your family, is nowhere to be-

The letter was too botched up by Granny’s tears to be read any further, but Applejack could tell what the rest of the words were. She felt herself going into shock as Applebloom took the piece of paper from her hoofs and started to read it for herself.

Author's Note:

This chapter has been edited as of 1/28/17. If there are any more mistakes or suggestions, please PM me as soon as possible.

This chapter is a lot shorter than I want it to be and I didn't like it as much so I'm really sorry for that. I will try to make up for it as soon as possible if I can.

Tell me any mistakes you see and I will fix it as I don't have time to get an editor sadly. I will see you next chapter. (I also absolutely hate writing accents so sorry If I butchered it)