• Published 10th Oct 2015
  • 805 Views, 283 Comments

The Terror of Nightmare Night - Vanilla Mocha



When Vanilla Mocha tells her party guests she made her annual Nightmare Night party a bit spookier than usual, nopony ever expected what was going to happen.

  • ...
3
 283
 805

Chapter Three

The wind slapped against Breeze's face as she flew through the cold, dark sky. After eating a whole bag of candy in the span of a few minutes, she let her hyperness get the most of her by guiding her though Ponyville like a maze. The other ten ponies followed behind her on the ground, zigging and zagging to keep up with her.

At first they had been walking, but when the mare got out of sight, they had to hurry up and find her. "She's too fast," Frosted Shard sighed, beginning to loose breath.

"And she can't hear us. We've tried calling for her," Garfield added, "See? BREEZE!" He paused for a minute, "Nothing."

"Then I'll stop her!" Paradise grinned, and flew upwards. Flapping as hard as she could, she was getting closer and closer to the pony in the spider costume. The four fake legs loosely hang from the spider body as the sugar-high Breeze flew closer and closer to the edge of Ponyville.


"Just...a little...closer!" Paradise whispered to herself.

"C'mon, Paradise! You can do it!" Her friend Daffodil exclaimed, with a few more cheers from the other ponies following.

Smiling, the pegasus reached forward once more, and caught one of the fake spider legs from Breeze's costume. "Yes!" Paradise Oasis smiled, and then after a moment, she cleared her throat. "Breeze, stop! You can't just fly away-we don't even know where we're going!"


Ignoring the mare, Breeze gasped. Halting, she flew downwards. "Ya' might wanna let go, 'Dise!" She exclaimed before crash landing into the ground.

It was too late for Paradise. Falling on top of Breeze, she sat up. Everypony ran up to them, panting from exhaustion. "Ugh...hmm, where am I...?" Paradise looked around, and after her blurry vision went away, she snapped back into reality.

"Let me help you up," Tacitus offered, and using his magic, he lifted Paradise off of Breeze and set her on her four hooves.

"Thanks," Paradise smiled, "I would've had trouble getting up after being pulled to the ground like that."

Breeze stood up wearily, and smiled sheepishly. "H-hey, guys..."

"Breeze, what were you thinking?" Shadow Wing asked, stepping forward.

She grunted, and rolling her eyes she said, "I was getting us out here to find Mocha because Eclipse said we needed that amulet thingy and it's only in the dragons' cave which the newer one for hibernation is up north but we have to catch a train and go over a bridge to go down south to the historical site in order to get it. There's also a used one on eBay, but I only buy stuff from real stores and such like Amazon. Anyways, the train'll be here in a minute. Get in line and get your tickets!" Breeze said quickly.

Everypony stared at her in confusion. "What's an 'eBay'?" Charming Thunder asked.

"And... An 'Amazon'? What's that supposed to be, dearie?" Quillton added.

"Wait," Galaxy interjected, "I think Breeze is onto something. She did bring us to the edge of Ponyville to let us board the train. If we're getting that gemstone, then we'd better get our tickets to the next train on its way to Dragon's Cove."

"Isn't it Dragon's Cave?" Shadow asked.

"Kinda. Dragon's Cave is in Dragon's Cove," Eclipse explained, "Dragon's Cove is the name of the island they live on. The cave itself is on the island."

"Then what're we waiting on?," Breeze jumped up and began pushing them into the train station, "get your tickets!"

"And you don't need a ticket yourself, dearie?" Quillton asked.

Gasping, Breeze flew in front of them, and got her ticket. Upon receiving it, she waved it around in the air. "C'mon! We need to be the first to board the train!" Smiling, she bounced outside.

"Well... I like trains." Galaxy Nebula trotted up and got his ticket too. Soon his friend Quillton followed, along with Charming, Eclipse, Paradise, and the rest.

Breeze sat outside, rocking back and forth. Galaxy sat down next to her, "So, you like trains too?"

"Eh, I guess. I love adventure!" Throwing her hooves into the air, she smiled widely, "There's so much to explore! I guess I do like trains... They help me get to adventures."

Galaxy chuckled. "Yeah, I like adventure too."

Quillton trotted towards the two ponies. "Adventure?" He shook his head, "'Adventure' is such an overused word. How about 'exploration', 'trek', 'expedition', or 'peregrination'?"

Breeze laughed. "I like the word 'adventure'!"

Galaxy opened his mouth to speak, but before he could say anything, a bright yellow light quickly shined upon them from afar. At first it was a small dot, but within seconds, it was blinding them as it approached. The Ponyville Express screeched as it halted to as stop.

"That's our train!" Galaxy exclaimed, standing up. As the conductor stepped out, the eleven ponies climbed aboard.

"I'm the first one to the snack car!" Breeze flew off through the train.

Sitting down, Paradise shook her head. "She's gonna get lost." Her friend Daffodil took a seat next to her. "Don't worry, I've only seen how she is tonight, and I can tell that she somehow knows where to go."

Paradise shrugged. "I guess that's true." Looking up, she saw Eclipse. Waving over to him, she said, "Hey, Eclipse... Wanna sit over here?"

Sighing, the stallion sat down by the window. "Sure..."

"I miss 'Nilla too... I'm pretty scared for her right now." Paradise told him.

Eclipse only looked out the window at the dark night sky.

Frost took a seat by Eclipse.

Paradise looked over at her friend, and then glanced at Vanilla's colt friend. Daffodil knew she should say something, and putting a smile on her face, she said, "I know this is kinda... Different than most Nightmare Nights we've had, but we'll get it all taken care of, you'll see. Vanilla Mocha will be back with us."

"This is all probably just a prank. Who knows, maybe she wanted to give you a scare, too." Frost added.

Paradise Oasis nodded in agreement. "Daffy and Frost are right. We've just gotta stay on the bright side and she'll be back before midnight."

Eclipse sighed again. "I guess..."

Galaxy Nebula, whom was sitting behind Eclipse, looked over his seat. "Hey, you know I won't let anything bad happen to my sister."

Eclipse perked up. "She never told me you two were siblings.... You don't even look alike."

"Well... Not biologically. We're just close friends, and we consider each other brother and sister." Galaxy smiled.

"Mmm-Hm," Eclipse glanced at him, "Sure..."

"It is. Our non-biological sister is a pegasus named Crimsion Ink," Galaxy continued. Obviously Eclipse wasn't buying it. "Hey, it's true. That's why I supported her not-so-scary party yet offered to make it better." Galaxy added.

Paradise lifted an eyebrow. "When did you offer to make it better?"

"Last year. I told her to start being a lot more.... Dark, you know, like with more real Nightmare Night things. I like how she used the spider webs and bones this year as decorations, along with the stars- they look just like her cutiemark! Oh, I also liked the invitations, they were so spooky looking, and-"

"Can you stop talking about her?!" Eclipse snapped, angered yet saddened at the same time. After realizing he almost yelled, he looked up at Galaxy Nebula. "Sorry... I don't know what just happened... I-I just miss her... A lot..."

Galaxy, who had slumped back in his seat, raised his head up. Looking behind him, he sighed. "It's fine, I miss her too."

Eclipse turned his attention back to the train window, staring into everlasting darkness. There were no stars in the sky, and not even the moon was lit. All there was to see... was nothing.

Paradise put her hoof on Eclipse's shoulder. She opened her mouth to talk, but then Daffodil nudged her, and put her hoof over her own mouth. Paradise nodded in understanding, and agreed it was best to not say anything.

Eclipse looked completely towards the window; nopony could see his face. For minutes, there was only silence. Then, there was sniffling.

Galaxy peeked over his seat again. "I'm sorry... I miss Mocha as much as you do, and I'll do my best to get her back."

Eclipse then turned to face the four ponies, his eyes and nose pink, and a tear trickling down his cheek. "I-I'm so worried right now...." Sniffling, he picked up the mirror. He couldn't see his reflection. All he saw was blackness; empty, dark nothing. Whispering, he asked, "Vanilla Mocha... Where are you...?"

There was no reply.

The stallion sniffled again, then put the mirror against his chest, by his heart. As he clung onto it, tears ran down his face. He closed his eyes and faced the window once more.

~~~

"So, where's the food? It's been, like, forty-five minutes since I've ate. Celestia, I'm starved!" Garfield the cat walked through another passenger car with Charming and Breeze.

"Food car's up here," Charming replied, "And you can't be starving. It's been less than an hour!"

"You don't know me, do you?"

"Apparently not."

"Guys, look!" Breeze opened the door to the next train car to reveal what looked like a mini food court.

Garfield jumped from excitement. "Where's the lasagna?!" He ran into the car, followed by the batmare and unicorn.

Grabbing a plate, the orange cat filled it with lasagna, hayburgers, hayfries, ketchup, spaghetti, breadsticks, waffles, peanut butter, toast, caramel, apples, pears, bananas, pineapple, and even more lasagna. "Mmm!" Licking his lips, he made is way to the ice cream bar.

"I'll take one of each flavor on the same cone, in alphabetical order."

A young unicorn mare behind the counter raised an eyebrow. "Your voice is awfully low to be a kitty princess..."

"I'm a male cat, and I was forced to go as a princess!" Garfield grumbled. "Make fun of me and I'll throw you into a volcano!" The mare only stared at him in puzzlement. Folding his arms, the orange cat smiled. "Good. Now, I'll take one of each flavor."

The yellow furred mare behind the counter sighed. "You know that there's sixty two favors," the red maned unicorn replied.

"Yeah. The more the merrier!"

She sighed again. "No, I meant, it's impossible to layer them all up like that- much less eat it all before everything underneath melts!"

The orange cat chuckled. "You haven't met Garfield- that's me. Now please, my order? C'mon, you're a unicorn! Do some magic on there!"

Grumbling, she did as Garfield wanted. "There you go...."

"Thank you!" He took the cone with a smile and opened his mouth wide. Throwing the ice cream into the air, he made is smile wider, opening his mouth as far as it could go. The tall snack fell into his mouth as he swallowed it whole.

The mare's jaw dropped in awe. "H-how is that possible?!"

The cat rubbed his stomach. "Mmm..." He then proceeded out of the train car, leaving the astonished mare with many unanswered questions. "I know I should've volunteered alongside the conductor instead of here..."

~~~

The train chugged through Griffonstone, wheezing out hot air with every stroke. It was only 9:30, but in order to find the Thaumaturgy Gemstone they needed as much time as possible. The large cat-bird hybrids flew into their nests to prepare for bed as the locomotive passed through their village. Not celebrating the Equestrian holiday Nightmare Night, it was only another night in their kingdom.

"I hope we get to Dragon's Cove soon," Tacitus said with a little bit of worry in his voice, "Even though we're on the express, this could take a while, seeing how far it is from Ponyville anyways."

Quillton and Galaxy sat across from him while he and Shadow sat on the same bench seat.

"We will. I travel all the time on the train- Quillton can tell you." Galaxy looked over at his best friend.

"Yes, Galaxy Nebula rides a lot of trains."

"See?" Nebula smiled.

Shadow sighed. "That's great. But have you ever been to Dragon's Cove?"

Galaxy put his hoof to his chin. "Well.... No, but I have been to places just as far."

"He has." Quillton added.

Tacitus cleared his throat and pointed out the window. "Look, dragons!"

The other three stallions turned their heads towards the glass. In the dark of the night it seemed impossible to see the flying creatures. However, the place was illuminated in lava pools and flaming torches, lighting their island in bright orange flames.

At this time, Charming Thunder, Breeze, and Garfield entered the passenger car and sat down. Eclipse, who had stopped crying, put down the mirror and looked out the window. Paradise, Frost, and Daffodil also looked out the windows, watching the mighty animals. The train pulled into the Dragon Cove station with a screech, and within moments, the ten ponies and cat were walking on foreign, dragon soil.

Author's Note:


This might help for this chapter. :twilightsmile:

Yes, I thought of the names "Dragon's Cave" and "Dragon's Cove". Trying to be more creative than "Dragons be here"... And I may or may not use their lair.