• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 11,468 Views, 431 Comments

Bound by Scales - FrostTheWolf



[Displaced][Scalebound Crossover] Normally, dragons are fierce predators. But for one guy, ending up in Equestria causes a powerful dragon to become his greatest Ally

  • ...
83
 431
 11,468

PreviousChapters Next
44- Zero

Author's Note:

This chapter... has a much different pace than the previous ones that had been done before. Because now, we're diving into a new arc. And one that would attempt to challenge Ken more than what he had ever faced before... Especially if he wants to survive against what's coming-.

"Sweet mother, sweet mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."

Well... that was rather ominous.


Thanks again to Brony Parasite for helping me piece this together. And stay tuned for everything else that's in store.
-Frost

Bound by Scales- Zero


Two weeks. That was how much time passed since I had defeated Krosis and in the time that passed, many things had occurred. For one thing, I was able to finally get the chance to spend some much needed time with Pinkis. With the last few months being one insane thing after another, one of the most important things that I was able to do now that everything had settled down for the most part was take Pinkis out on a date. A proper one. Sure, we had been together for a while and my relationship with her was much different than the one I have with AJ, but it still felt necessary.

If you ignore the fact that Twilight was actually spying in a nearby bush and found a way to get Rainbow and Rarity to join her. And her reasons for doing it? She thought that the dinner date we were on was the best way to observe what would happen on a first date, because apparently there were no books on the subject in her castle. At least, that was what AJ told me after the fact.

Unfortunately, not everything that happened was essentially ‘good’. After what happened in the Changeling Kingdom with Pharynx, Zektor and his two nieces, Holly and Maple, had decided to return to the Kingdom to assist Thorax and their kind however they could. Many of the other changelings that were there also decided to go with them, with one exception being Chrysalis since it was still going to be a long while before she can be seen by others as ‘reformed’.

Yet, looking back on everything that Aaron told me, something about all of this just didn’t add up. When he, Rainbow and a few others that were with Starlight and Trixie were in the changeling kingdom, they had an encounter with a mare named Lightning Dust and somehow, she was able to control fire magic. Which, based on my limited knowledge of Ponykind in general, was supposed to be impossible. Yet, there was two things that stood out to me when Aaron explained this.

First, there was somepony that Lightning referred to as ‘Mother’. Not just once, but several times. If what Aaron told me was true, and that what he heard was actually real, then this mother figure tore off Lightning’s old wings and replaced them with what she called Icarus’ Wings. The second was based on something that Lightning Dust had said upon first encountering Aaron.

Well, well, well… looks like one of the marked has come to play…

When I hear the words ‘the marked’, it makes me automatically think of two things. One, you’re seen as either a potential target or someone of interest, and Two, there’s more than one. Given what happened with Aaron, I’m concerned now that more of the people both inside and outside of the hollow might be targeted by this group that Lightning’s in.

And what’s worse… is that I’m worried that either I might be next… or somepony close to me will be.


Present Day

When Applejack asked for me to help out around Sweet Apple Acres for a while, I honestly did not think it seemed much. But it wasn’t until I arrived there early that morning that I realized that instead of actually helping Applejack and her family, I was pretty much filling in for her. She must’ve forgot to tell me about some camping trip that she, Rarity and Rainbow had with Cutie Mark Crusaders as I had to spend most of my morning hitting trees with my bare fists in order to get the apples to come down off of the trees. That and Granny Smith chewed me out earlier, saying that no magic is allowed for applebucking and especially no weapons.

I continued my shift on early in the morning right up until the middle of the afternoon, with a few breaks in between as I got the chance to get some water and some rest. Yet… the one thing that I did not anticipate for me to see was actually Revaan fly overhead. Landing in a clearing not far from the barn as I got up. “Hey Granny, how much longer do we have to work in the orchard.”

“Well, with the haul that you and Mac brought in today, ah say we have quite enough as it is,” I heard her say from the open door frame as she looked back at me. “You’re free to go back to town now.”

“Thanks, Granny,” I replied, before going in the direction where Revaan landed.

“Hey, youn’gun! Town’s the other way!” She hollered back, but I couldn’t get the chance to answer her as I raced over. When I finally got over to Revaan, I let out a breath as I looked back at him.

“Hey Revaan, what in the world are you doing all the way out here?” I asked him upon him noticing me.

“Do you remember the ruins where I found you?” He asked. That question seemed… out of the blue, but all I did was nod as I looked back at him. “Well, not too long ago, I sensed the presence of a powerful dragon. Not that far from here in the Ghastly Gorge.”

I blinked for a moment as I processed this information. Another dragon? Just as powerful as Revaan? “Do you think it’s… another Onyx?”

“Not necessarily another Onyx. The power from this one is much different than that of mine or any other dragon that we have come across before. But it is still just as powerful nonetheless. Perhaps even greater than the ones we have met before.” Revaan’s response made me curious as to who this would be, but also made me feel a little concerned. But hell, if Revaan wanted to go take a look at these ruins, then who am I to say no?

“Are you saying that you want to take a look and maybe see this dragon for ourselves?” I then asked him in response. He nodded his head, before lowering his head and allowing for me to jump on his back. Stretching out his wings as he began to lift us into the air and take off.

When we arrived at the ghastly gorge, we found the ruins to be deep in the valley itself, hidden in the cliffside. At first, it looked as if it was just a huge pile of rubble just sitting there. But with a flap of his wings and a push from his claws, the rocks and stones were pushed aside to reveal a deteriorated gateway with remnants of markings forever lost to time. The hinges had withered to oblivion, which had causes the gate doors to fall inwards into the lightless crypt.

As I took a step inside, I felt something hit my foot as I bent down to pick it up. It was a sturdy piece of wood, which was then fashioned into a torch as I held it in my right hand and turned to Revaan. “Hey, could you-” Before I could finish, Revaan let out a breath of fire as it lit the top of the torch and began to provide a source of light to the darkened tunnels we were about to step forth into. “Thanks.”

Stepping forth, the two of us began our descent into the darkened ruins that awaited us. The first few moments did not surprise us with anything. But… then we began to see what awaited us inside. Bones. The charred and withered bones of dragons long dead. Some that were as big as that of Torch when we saw him while others were smaller, even… Spike or Ember sized.

What was worse though was when we saw what looked like a straw nest, with cracked eggshells over it and darkened stains. “By the ancestors…”

“What? What is it?” I asked, looking back at him as he pointed at the shells.

“These are dragon eggs… and that’s blood,” His response sent a chill down my spine as I looked back at him. “This was a hatchery.”

Turning around, we looked back at the rest of the bones as he looked back at me. “And this was once a home for dragons. But… something happened.”

“A battle, perhaps?” I asked.

“No… with what we’re seeing, it looks much worse,” He spoke, looking at me as if he could tell what happened here. “In battle, dragons are forbidden from killing another dragon’s young. This… this was a massacre.”

We heard something fall much further in, immediately catching the attention of both of us as we slowly began to move towards that noise. Not sure what awaited us as we continued to move forward, passing through more skeletons of dragons that were long dead. Some were even split in half or had their heads severed from their bodies as their bones laid there in the rubble.

However, as we got farther into the crypt, that was when we saw a crack in the ceiling. Pouring in beams of light from outside as it began to fill part of the room. But that was not what stood out the most. Instead, that was what we found at the end. A massive room with a massively long table made out of stone, cracked in two. Beyond that was a single pale human woman from what I could tell, with pure white hair and matching loose clothes. Her back was turned to us, so I couldn’t see her face, but she was muttering something that I couldn’t make out.

What I could partially make out though, was the painting on the wall. That being a faded… human skull. Like that wasn’t ominous or anything. And then… I heard her.

“Sweet mother, sweet mother…” She sang slowly, turning around. Her face was eerily serene, it’s tone matching her garb and hair. Her left arm was mechanical, like armor but fused to flesh if there even was any underneath. But the strangest part of her, was a pink flower that sprouted from one of her eyes. “I’m finally home again~”

Hang on… Mother? Didn’t Aaron tell me that Lightning Dust said something along those lines?

“Ah, the dragon master.” Her voice became stern and commanding, one that matched someone like Luna’s stature. “So you can sense Mikhail… I was afraid that my time here was wasted.”

Mikhail? Was that someone that they knew? More to the point though, who was this woman? “Wasted? Were you… expecting us to come?” I now asked her, stepping forth into the light.

“Hmm~ You are pretty cute, aren’t you~?” She said, a smirk I can only describe as devious appearing on her face. “You’d have made an excellent… no, no. Oh, you asked me something. Where are my manners?” She walked across the room, metal heels echoing through the empty catacombs. “Yes, I was hoping your dragon would sense Mikhail’s arrival. So I waited to see if you’d seek him out, and here you are!”

Revaan now decided to speak instead of me as he approached behind me now. “If this Mikhail that you speak of is the dragon that I sensed… then who would you happen to be, miss?”

“Oh, have I not introduced myself? I am your new Goddess, and you’re the bugs under my heel!” She pronounced. “I am the Intoner, Zero!”

O… kay, that was a bit of a mouthful. “Goddess?” I asked, raising an eyebrow to her. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that this ‘Mother’ figure you were speaking of was a goddess you were praying too… Is that not the case?”

“The Night Mother is indeed important, but she is but a means of communication. You wouldn’t understand.” She continued to smile. “I am but Thor to Sythis’ Odin, and the Night Mother is his and the Brotherhood's all seeing eye.”

The more that she talked, the more that I was beginning to have a very bad feeling of where this might go. But… there was something I got to know. “I believe I have heard of the ‘Mother’ being spoken before by somepony else,” I then said to her camly. “Would you happen to know somepony named Lightning Dust?”

“Oh, sister Lightning. I remember infusing the Icarus Wings into her. It wasn’t pretty, but she’s much better off than you will be.” She drew what looked like a scabbard from beneath a white shoulder cape on her left side, and dragged it across the ground. “You’ve caused quite the commotion here, haven’t you? Made a name for yourself and your dragon.” The ceiling began to vibrate.

“Well, trying to bring back the Onyx Dragonkin isn’t exactly a quiet job.” I told her, before looking at the ceiling for a moment. And just then, it caved as a pale white dragon smashed through it, landing beside Zero, chuckling in a deep voice, though his mouth barely moved. Zero looked downright pissed at this, though.

Revaan though… looked shocked as he saw the newfound dragon. “Y-you’re… one of the Moonstone Kin. But how?”

Let’s just say I got lucky.” Mikhail said, though his voice seemed to originate from within my mind. “I am the last of my kind, though. That, I believe, you may have felt for a short time.

“Asshole…” Zero grumbled, crossing her arms and huffing. Meanwhile, I was beginning to have a hard time trying to process what exactly was being said as I looked back to Revaan and cleared out my throat.

“Moonstone Kin?”

“They were another kin of dragons that were once allies with the Onyx,” Revaan told me. “But after when Nightmare Moon attacked us all those years ago, I had thought that the Moonstone Kin met the same fate as my kind.”

And they did. What you saw on your way in was the result of her crusade.” Oh… god, I feel like I’m going to be sick. “Zero saved me from that fate, however. And I intend to repay my debt in full, through you, if I have to.

Hearing that made me tense up, especially given the circumstances of the bond that we shared and what would happen if either Revaan and I were killed. But why was Mikhail all hostile towards us? Because if he keeps this up, I got a bad feeling of where this might be going.

“Anyways, I’d like to know where Nightmare is…” Zero suddenly spoke up, and I sensed the hostility in her voice.

For a moment, I was unsure what to say… before letting out a sigh as I looked back at her. “Nightmare herself was an aspect that corrupted Princess Luna and made her not herself. Luna is herself again and as for Nightmare…” I paused for a moment, before looking back at her. Answering truthfully instead of trying to hide it from them. “Nightmare’s dead… I killed her.”

“Then Luna must pay for what she did to me.” Zero glared at me. I think she knew what I was thinking.

“Luna did not do this, it was Nightmare that took control of her-” I tried to say, before I was interrupted when I saw Revaan’s claw in front of me.

“Ken… one thing that I know of the Moonstone Kin is that they can’t be solely convinced by words alone,” He said, before looking back at Mikhail and Zero. “That if you are to prove something to them, you must do it through actions. And they won’t rest until they see that their task is done.”

“How would you know?” I asked, a little surprised by what he said.

“Because my mother was one,” Woah… that… definitely came out of nowhere. But Mikhail himself really seemed unfazed by that. “My mother, Nahl Vulon, was of the Moonstone Kin and my father, Sulvulaan, was of the Onyx. That’s why I know.”

Hmm… That name brings up strange feelings.” Mikhail looked to Zero, who seemed to be surprised. “Do you recognize her name?

“I’ll… tell you another time. It would only get in our way.” She dragged her armored finger across the blade of her sword. “You will deliver a message to the Princesses...”

A message? By the way that it’s coming off, it sounds like she wants for me to deliver a threat instead.

“And if you refuse to comply… I will use the heads of everyone you love.”

Now that… had me glare back at her. “Leave them out of this…” I don’t know how she would know about my friends, AJ or Pinkis, but I can’t have them get all caught up in this mess.

“Then you’ll stay out of my affairs after you tell the Princesses that Zero and Michael have returned.” She said, a dark smirk forming on her lips as Mikhail stood up taller to emphasize her point. “You can do that at least, no?”

“Wait… Michael?” Revaan spoke up as he looked back at Mikhail now. Eyes widening as he looked back at him. “No… That can’t be right…”

“What’s wrong, Revaan?” I asked him, noticing Revaan back up and raise himself up as he looked back at him.

What I heard him say next was something that I did not anticipate for at all. “That name… it belonged to my grandfather.”

Mikhail seemed genuinely confused, tilting his head. Zero, though, was angered at this. I could see her hands move to the grip of her blade now, rage present in her eyes as she glared at both of us. “Umm… Can we talk about this?”

No… Mikhail, attack!” At those words, the Moonstone dragon lunged towards Revaan and over my head. I didn’t have time to look back as Zero had closed the distance between us and sent her blade into my right shoulder. And it hurt… a lot.

And the pain from my injury transferred to Revaan, who was forced to flinch to the right as Mikhail closed in. For me, I had to get out of this scenario right now. Channeling energy through my right hand, I fired off a wave of energy towards the ground. Throwing myself back as another surge of pain went through me when Zero’s sword was ripped out.

And just when I thought I had the chance to at least get ready, Zero charged at me again. Forcing me to conjure a pair of blades to block and parry the attack, despite the fact that my wound was just only beginning to slowly heal. Revaan looked to be in a pinch as well. Letting out a breath of fire to try and keep Mikhail back, but it did not stop the Moonstone Dragon’s advances.

However, despite my best efforts to block her attacks, Zero was much different than that of previous enemies I’ve faced. She demonstrated more strength, power and combat experience than in the time that I had been here at all. Disarming me of my weapons several times and taking advantages of weak points that she was able to exploit.

As she continued to attack us, Revaan’s fire blast was beginning to have parts of the chamber burn. Providing a minimal amount of light in the pitch black darkness as I tried to focus on Zero. I felt sharp pains constantly throughout my body, like bite marks that sank way too deep for comfort.

Zero was far too fast for me to land even a single hit on her, and I began to think that she was toying with me too. Wanting me to actually put up a fight against her. Well… By all means, let's give it to her. “Denek Sil.” My arm began to glow a light brown as the pair of hatchets that was my second dragon arm began to manifest. And this time, when they clashed with Zero’s blade, they were strong enough to not break on impact.

Even more so that when I threw one of the hatchets at the ground below her, the earth began to shake shortly before returning to me. Problem was, that did not cause Zero to let up on her attacks.

Alright then… let's try something different. Switching weapons, I changed out my dragon arms to Norok as the pair of gauntlets began to channel flames around them as I punched the ground. Releasing a powerful wave of fire and flames as it quickly began to spread throughout the chamber.

Zero, though, summoned a giant lance about the same size as herself and jammed the tip into the ground after leaping into the air. She held onto it with her armored arm, suspending herself upside down, safely above my fire. “You better try harder, you’re not impressing me or Mikhail~!”

Who said I was trying to impress anybody!? “Ruuvak Iiz.

As I called back the flames, the dragon arms on my feet took form and with a stomp of my foot, rapidly sent ice through the ground and up the sides of the lance that Zero was holding onto. She quickly caught on and leapt off of it as her sword reappeared, and she…

SHNK!

… Threw it at me! Oh god, why did she aim for the stomach!?

“Ken!” Revaan shouted, before flinching in pain himself as I staggered backwards. Trying to bear with the pain as I looked back at her and attempted to pull out her blade.

Tuz, horvutah~!” She cooed, her voice sounding filtered. I screamed as I felt metallic barb-like wires wrap around my arms and torso. They tightened as Zero sauntered over towards me, a confident smirk tracing her lips. “You disappoint. Let this be a lesson, knave…” She took ahold of her blade and twisted it a little.

Grr… Damn it… What can I do right now?! I’m in severe pain and can’t move an inch with a freaking blade in my chest. What can I do?

Hang on though… there is one thing. “S-sorry Revaan…”

“Ken, don’t you dare-!”

“-For not telling you about this sooner…” I coughed as my arm began to glow. “Sulvulaan.”

Immediately, a grey metallic substance began to twist around my arm. Severing pieces of the chains that were around my arms and then shooting out towards Zero. Barely missing the flower that was around her eye as I attempted to pull the blade out of my chest. Wrapping around my right arm as I looked back at Zero.

In pain… and in agony right now… I could only say three things. “I-i’ll… tell them…”

“Then I’ll leave you two to lick your wounds.” She gripped the handle of the sword, “Tuz, gaar~” The binds receded into the blade, and she removed it from my stomach, which hurt a lot. Like worse than anything I’ve felt so far. And this is coming from the fact that I’ve been almost blown up, shot at, set on fire, stabbed and pretty much anything else that would kill a normal living being.

Mikhail spoke up next, “You would do wise to aid him, and quickly. Wouldn’t want you both to fade so quickly.” There was a bit of malice in his voice as he moved back to Zero’s side, who swiftly mounted upon a saddle I didn’t notice before. “For your sake, pray we do not meet again.

For a moment, Revaan said nothing. Staying quiet as he watched them lea… ve-e… Oh god, I think I’m gonna pass out-

THUD!!


Point of View: Revaan


“Ken!!” I shouted just as I heard him collapse against the ground. I had felt all the pain that he was being forced to go through, but somehow, he wasn’t dead… Because if he were, then I would be crashing on the ground right next to him.

Picking him up gently with my front claws. I fired off a volley of fireballs to open the roof and open up a way for me to escape. Once in the air, I immediately raced back to the Hollow. Ken needed medical attention and quickly! Any time I waste would mean less time that either of us would have to live.

“Revaan, you’re back-” Oh dear ancestors… I got someone’s attention. It’s Shayne and Aurox… Oh dear ancestors, it’s Shayne and Aurox. And Pinkis is with them. “What the-!? Ken!! How did-?!”

“Look, I don’t have time to explain here-”

“Come on, can’t you at least say something-!?”

“I don’t have time to explain why I don’t have time to explain to you, Shayne. Ken needs help! Get any soul shards you find and grab Dr. Cross right now!!”

All Shayne did was nod as she raced off to get what I asked her too as I laid Ken down on the courtyard floor. Using a talon to tear off the shirt that he was wearing and twisting the cloth so it can be applied to slow the bleeding. Pinkis took this chance to help by applying pressure. The blood from his wound seeping in as his former shirt began to turn red.

After a few moments, Shayne and Aurox arrived, carrying as many soul shards as possible over to us. I instructed them to crack them open over the wounds and let the magic from the shards seep in as they began to slowly heal the injuries that he had sustained. However, even with his wounds healing, he wouldn’t be conscious just yet. At this point, all he would need is-

“Okay, just who the hell decided to do this to him?!” I looked to Shayne, just as I shook my head.

“Zero…” I said, looking back at her and Pinkis. “Zero and Mikhail… of the brotherhood. We found them, and they forced us to-”

“Brotherhood?” Pinkis tilted her head. “You don’t mean… the Dark Brotherhood, right?”

“All she mentioned was that of some… Night Mother…” I said, before looking back at her. “Why…? Do you know of something?”

“M-maybe…” She looked away.

“Pinkis… I’m sorry, but I can’t settle for maybe’s…” I told her. “This woman nearly killed Ken, has a dragon as an ally that’s my grandfather and forced us to comply with her demands…” For a moment, I let out a breath. Before looking back at her. “Please tell us… for Ken’s sake.”

Pinkis sighed. “I’m not repeating myself… all you need to know for now is that they’re far beyond anything you’ve dealt with. And they’re something that my friends and I are afraid of.” She rubbed her temples with her hooves. “Call everyone you trust or think needs to hear this. I think Twilight’s on the top of that list.”

“Celestia and Luna as well,” I added. “From what I could tell, the one who attacked us seemed to know who she was… and is hellbent on murdering Luna.”

“Uh… why-?”

“She thinks she’s still Nightmare Moon and the one responsible for murdering all of her dragon’s kin.”

“Oh, so like you and Ken, but psychotically evil-?” I glared back at Shayne, rising over her as she took off. “Okay, getting everyone now!!”

“I’m sorry for withholding this for now… I just think it’d be easier to tell everyone at once.” Pinkis said, clearly feeling awkward in the tense situation we’re in. For me, I felt… bad for her. So, sympathetically, I placed one of my claws gently around her shoulder as I looked back at her.

“Everything will be okay… If you and Shayne had not gotten here when you did, I think the damage would’ve been much worse,” I said, looking back at her. “I’m grateful for this. Thank you-.”

“What in the HAY HAPPENED!?!” Oh dear ancestors, give me patience. I turned my head to see a shocked Pinkie Pie along with some of her friends as Shayne was waving her hands to get my attention.

“I brought back as many as I could find!!”

“Shayne, I thought Pinkis told you to get everyone.”

“Yeah, you did. Twilight’s still writing letters to everypony.” … Well, that at least makes some kind of sense. “Somehow, she doesn’t know any spell to send off multiple letters simultaneously to somepony.”

That… just caused me to blink. Really? All that magical power and being the Princess of Friendship and she can’t be able to send off multiple letters at once in a crisis like this… Really?

“She also accidentally sent off the notes that she took while spying on Ken and Pinkis during their date.”

“What…?” Pinkis snarled, her eyes twitching.

“Yeah, apparently Rainbow said that she was having trouble with trying to have a first date and such, but she thinks it’s because she’s so nervous about getting laid-”

By the ancestors, I will do literally ANYTHING in order to get out of this!!!

“I’ll kill them later…” Pinkis seethed through gritted teeth.

“Can we all just take a moment to please calm down?” I now heard a purple alicorn arrive as she had Celestia and Luna standing right behind her. “I know that this is an emergency, but shouting doesn’t help any of it.”

“Oh thank the ancestors you’re here,” I said, before noticing something. “Hang on… where’s Applejack? Twilight, where’s Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow.”

“Oh, they’re camping in Rainbow Falls.”

“Seriously?” Shayne then asked. “You were able to send off many letters individually to one another to almost everypony else and you can’t be able to send it to three ponies who are camping?”

“I’m drained from all the other letters I’ve already sent. What, do you think I have infinite magic or something?”

“Best not ruin their trip with worry.” Pinkis added.

“Can everypony please take a moment in order to calm themselves down?” Celestia now spoke up. Moments afterwards, the room went quiet as I looked back at both of the alicorn sisters as she looked to me. “Revaan… Please explain what happened-”

“Zero and Michael have returned.” The words I spoke had the expression on Celestia’s face cease to exist. Her eyes widening as she stared at me, a look of horror upon her face as she looked back at her sister. However… Luna’s reaction was much different to the situation than I anticipated.

“Who? I… don’t remember anypony by those names at all.”

“I do though…” Celestia replied back. “I knew her a long long time ago… You can say that she was one of the first ones to arrive here before Ken or anypony else. Very playful, kind, adventurous. Didn’t want to seek conflict with anypony she met. A friend of the dragons and one who represented them… B-but when Nightmare…” She paused for a moment, looking at Luna before continuing what she was saying. “... happened, I thought she was lost among the lives of all the dragons who were slain that fateful night.”

“Well… Turns out, she’s alive… and is part of something much worse…” I said, before looking downwards. “But before we go any further, we should wait for Ken to wake up.”

“No telling how long that’d be. I’ll let you relay everything once he’s awake.” Pinkis said. Not arguing there, I suppose. She stepped in front of me, and inhaled deeply. “I think you all know I’m not… from this universe.”

Mostly everyone nodded, including me. Aurox just shrugged and agreed with them as well.

“I lived in a dimension where Displaced had formed a society. A big one. And with size comes instability.” Pinkis looked sideways. “A gang sprouted. It grew, and grew, until it was a major threat to the security of… well, everyone. They were systematically targeted, and in a questionable move, so were their families. But a few survived and fled, forming the Dark Brotherhood.”

She continued, “Brutalight was tasked with hunting them down before things got hectic. She said they’d become almost cult-like, worshipping a being known as Sythis, and travel through the multiverse seeking other Displaced vulnerable enough to recruit.” Pinkis chuckled, though it was humorless. “They send Displaced to a world, begin recruiting locals and establish themselves as a group of hired cut throats and assassins. They’re well organized, and once they establish a sanctuary, they’re almost impossible to sniff out… and absolutely impossible to snuff out, if they send a strong leader.”

“And now they’re here…” Celestia replied.

“And Zero’s their leader… their Listener.” Pinkis added. “Have any of you heard the name ‘Night Mother’ at all? Or ‘sweet mother’?”

Aaron, who just happened to be standing next to Shayne now, raised his hand and spoke up. “I have… a pony named Lightning Dust was saying it and said how she got something from that same mother called Icarus Wings and looked happy about her old wings being ripped off.”

“And Zero said she was the one who put them on personally.” I added.

“Then she, and anyone she interacts with, are assassins. The wings thing is new though.” Pinkis scratched her chin. “She’s most likely their recruiter. Getting her before she recruits more will be important.”

“Yeah… there’s a slight problem with that,” I added on. “When she told us to carry the message, she told us to do it or else she would personally mount everyone's head on a pike. And she has the power to match that claim. We were barely able to hold our own against her, and if she’s recruiting others… I can’t imagine how powerful they might be.”

“Then we’ll need help too… at least to get Ken strong enough to face her without alerting the Brotherhood.” Pinkis groaned. “I’ll… talk to Brutalight to see if she has any ideas on how to deal with them. I’ve never met this Zero, but she was hand picked by the Brotherhood to set up base here. Her power and knowledge of this would leaves us at a disadvantage.”

“Perhaps I should take a moment to explain what I know from our encounter to fill you in.” I offered. “I think you might find the information useful.”

“Please… Tell us what you saw,” Celestia then spoke, causing me to let out a breath as I looked back to her.

“It all started after I felt another dragon's presence coming from the Ruins of Sonsu Gaard…”


End Chapter 44

PreviousChapters Next