• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 1,201 Views, 19 Comments

Forward again, and again, and again. - Zaravan



In which an army of poorly trained, poorly lead, underfed, rabble of clones weather one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after another.

  • ...
9
 19
 1,201

PreviousChapters Next
The third entry, or: Wood isn't very flammable without an accelerate.

We've beaten off at least three attacks by these things. Wolves of wood. Since we put up the wooden barricades it's far easier than it would be. There seem to be hundreds of the damn things, all howling and snarling and baying for our blood. They might just be wood, but they're strong, can't let them get close, one of our outer trenches was overrun by the damned things, and of eight men holding it, two got out. One will likely loose the arm, the splinters were so big, and so deep. They're as bad as barbed arrows, tearing the muscle and flesh under the skin. We had to dope him up with morphine to keep him from thrashing and going into shock from the pain. Those damned things are still out there, we can see their sickly, yellow eyes in the dark, glowing bright as the moon in contrast to the pitch surrounding them.


We just have to hold till morning. Damn this forest, damn wherever we are. Once the sun rises, i'm sure these cursed thing will just screw off. Best we can tell, these things love the dark, and hate fire with a burning (Hah!) Intensity. Though, in hindsight, it's rather obvious since they're made of goddamned wood.


My pistol jammed, a first for me. It almost got me killed during the fourth attack. I can see the first rays of the morning sun peeking through the holes in the treeline. Just a little longer now.


I'm almost out of ammunition. two clips left.


Five bullets left. then my knife.

This section is lightly stained with a dull rusty color, blood in all likelihood.



They're howling. They come again. I see the sun. I'm not one to give up easily. I just need to get at least one with my knife. Lost two fingers on my left hand to one that was bigger than the rest, hurts a lot. As if a bunch of sticks are going to kill me!

Author's Note:

'IAF' personnel are infamous for their stubborn attitude. Born of what seems to be a mixture of hate, spite, and outright disregard for the notion of 'moving backwards', many IAF fight to the death just to spite their enemies. Even if it means crouching in a ruined house facing a tank with a revolver, six bullets, and a molotov. It is a virtue, and a fatal flaw.

PreviousChapters Next