• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 1,201 Views, 19 Comments

Forward again, and again, and again. - Zaravan



In which an army of poorly trained, poorly lead, underfed, rabble of clones weather one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after another.

  • ...
9
 19
 1,201

PreviousChapters Next
Another Time, Another Place: Civil Repression

Author's Note:

Mature themes are present in this chapter.

This chapter contains scenes of violent Riot Supression, you have been warned.

To the IAF, the existence of the Multiverse is all but certain. Any who would disagree would be shown very physical proof. Scars, weapons, and looted trinkets give even the average IAF Infantryman's words far more weight.

Of course, with so many vastly different Universes in said Multiverse, it is only natural that there would be those which were very similar, yet very, very different.


We focus on one such Alternate Equestria, here the key differences are that most inhabitants, Ponies, Griffons, Zebras and such, walk on two legs instead of four. Another difference is that, in the land of Equestria itself, under the rule of the Sisters of the Sun and Moon, is it's population. Where there is one Male for Every ten females, this unfortunately, means that the rights of males are greatly restricted 'for their own safety'.

This fact, that is, that males have less rights simply for being male, and these restrictions being made in the name of 'protecting' them, A cause that is known to be a very slippery slope, greatly upset the IAF when they had deployed into this Alternate Universe, as they belive in equal rights, civil liberty and a firm, benevolent government established to serve and be served by the people, etc.

Though the IAF and this Alternate Equestria had their differences, the IAF's superior weaponry, vast legions of die-hard fighting Infantry, and mechanized tactics ended up saving Equestria from a vast invasion from a race of Caribou from their far northern Empire. In this massive battle, the IAF's vaunted 33rd Mechanized Infantry Division, known as the 'Deadmen' faced off against the Caribou's invasion force of One-hundred thousand of their Empire's veteran troops.

It was a massacre. Limbs flew and so much blood and gore soaked the ground of the field in which the Caribou smashed themselves into the IAF's steel-strong defensive line to no avail, that nearby towns began circulating ghost stories of how one could still hear the agonized screams of the attackers. The vast field, long nameless, was christened as 'The Crimson stretch.'

Despite the horror that was wrought, the Equestrians were thankful, and in the gleaming city of Canterlot, a massive parade was held in the IAF's honor. At the Climax of this event, in her fervor, The royal sister of the moon, Luna, announced that, under an ancient law long past, the IAF would be awarded dominion over the City of Manehatten and it's surrounding countryside.

This caused a great amount of consternation among the populace, as well as among the IAF. Celestia herself later admitted, in private, that of all things she had expected to happen, that was not one of them. Of course, Luna realized she had jumped the gun, unfortunately, the clause of this nameless, ancient law was, 'no take-backsies.'

Though unexpected, the IAF took this in stride, and they wasted little time setting up in Manehatten. However, in the following months, several ugly issues reared their head.

The first was that there was a large amount of grumbling among the locals when the IAF forced Manehattan's local government to award more rights to males, this itself did not fester much resentment, but it did lay down fuel for future problems.

The second was that IAF patrols were accosted at least a dozen times a day by the mares of the city, which made the Infantrymen very uncomfortable, and not too little upset, with how they were constantly leered at, eyed like objects.

The third, and most pressing of issues, was the Heat season. the Heat itself was self-explanatory, however the problem was that with the utterly lopsided gender division in Manehatten's population, males were often hunted down and used to the point of injury. The worst part of this issue was that younger, underage males were not exempt.

This fact drove the IAF into a frothing rage.

Approximately one week before the Heat season came, the IAF issued an edict that, before the Heat cycle, all males would be moved into the IAF's main fortified compound in the center of the city. None were exempt.

Despite loud protesting from the average mare, as well as the local government dragging their feet collecting the registered locations of the male's homes, the Edict went into effect.


This brings us several days into the Heat cycle. Now, if one were to focus their eyes in front of the IAF compound, one would see a large line of black armored figures bearing weighted Batons and Steel Riot Shields. This line of one hundred men are of the IAF's MP Division. They are here because a massive crowd of Five-hundred mares are slowly making their way towards the Compound. Besides the Compound's guards, they are all that stands between the mob, and the Stallions and young Colts in the Compound.

All other local IAF forces are tied up trying to restore order in the rest of the city. They cannot fail.


We focus on one of the line, he is as faceless as those around him, sporting gasmasks with black, glossy eyepieces. He stands resolute, even as hundreds of rioters edge closer. He can hear the MP's Commanding officer call for them to disperse through the Compound's PA system, to no avail. He grips his Baton, weighted with a steel core, tight enough that it feels as if the bones of his knuckles would burst from under his skin.

As the mob closes in, the MP Officer calls for Tear Gas to be launched, and, following his words several trails of the dense, chocking gas over his head into the advancing mob. A dozen of the rioters run away, not having expected any resistance. However, hundreds still close upon the Line of MP's. And they are given the order to advance, and forcefully disperse the mob.

A single MP we focus upon again, and one can see him perfectly in step, as his shield is raised, baton in hand. The mob closes in, and across from him the MP can see a young earth pony mare charging wildly with the crowd.

The mob smashes against the line of MP's but they do not falter. And that's when things go downhill, for the mob, and for IAF-Equestrian relations.

The MP smashes his baton across the face of the earth pony mare, leaving a large gash across her forehead. She falls, and across the line the scene repeats itself over and over. Ribs break, teeth fly, wings and wrists alike are broken and twisted as the MP's advance over the writhing, but alive bodies of the downed rioters.

The rest of the mob begins to falter and panic, the shock of such brutality completely unexpected.


Even as the rioters begin to falter, the MP's continue their merciless advance. The nameless MP swings his steel Riot Shield in a wide arc, stunning a Pegasus with a broken board. He swings his baton, catching her in the ribs with a sickening crack. Again he steps over a withing form. Again he swings his baton, this time smashing an earth pony across the jaw, leaving her coughing blood and teeth into the pavement.

Again. He breaks the wrist of a Unicorn.

Again. A Pegasi's leg is bent backward, and she is left screaming in agony.

Again. A Mare's snout is crushed, and she is left writhing.

Again. He leaves a bloody gash across the forehead of another, and she lays still, moaning quietly.


By this time, almost more than a hundred of the mob are brutally put down, and the rest are already running in fright, in shock from the sheer violence of the MP's. The street leading to the Compound is relatively quiet, save for the whimpers and the agonized moans from the broken rioters.

The nameless MP falls behind from the rest of the line as they advance to subdue the rest of the city, he looks upon all the broken bodies. He knows he should feel guilt or such for what he has done. But despite trying, he can only feel pity, and scorn. The MP jogs forward to meet with the rest of the Line.

And a horrified news crew from Canterlot on the top of a nearby apartment building hurredly packs up, having broadcast live far more than they had ever expected to.

PreviousChapters Next