• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 1,201 Views, 19 Comments

Forward again, and again, and again. - Zaravan



In which an army of poorly trained, poorly lead, underfed, rabble of clones weather one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after another.

  • ...
9
 19
 1,201

PreviousChapters Next
The eighth entry, or: Making friends always pays off.

We've been training the local volunteers whenever we can, or should i say, whenever we want to. The Zebras don't require too much to start with, as most of our training deals with the basics of firearms. Point, shoot, reload. Not much else to it. So the Zebras get slightly elongated machetes to compensate for their short stature and lack of limbs capable of grasping objects as easily as humans can. The Griffons are a different story, as their claws seem to be as flexible as fingers, give or take the lack of a digit on each claw in comparison to hands. We're training them with basic .32 caliber revolvers. Not much of a punch. But far better than the rifled muskets that they've told us are the norm back in their homeland. Apparently one of their number used to be a low-grade officer, like a lieutenant or similar. So we 'officially' made him an officer and put him in charge of the rest of the Griffons. They took some getting used to with the revolvers, trying to remember that there's more than one bullet to be fired before needing to reload, but they picked it up pretty quickly.

The Zebra that had been a shaman's apprentice has been showing us a number of plants that can be used for medicine. There's one plant that tastes sort of like stale gum, and seems to have the same purpose. Another seems to actually dull pain when mashed up and ingested! These plants are amazing! We might have to have him and Zecora meet if she visits again. Speaking of which, we haven't heard from her in a while. Rather worrying i have to admit. But we can probably send a patrol to visit and check up on her. Now that i think about it, Princess Twilight hasn't returned either. Which is strange, as she seemed very excited to meet us, i'd think she'd take any opportunity, or excuse, to come visit us.

We've been thinking about sending a small group to Ponyville, to see if we could trade for food and such. I'd think they'd like the little souvenirs and baubles we collect. It would probably be a good idea to ask Zecora to help introduce us, as she seemed to be on good terms with the townspeople. Townsponies? Screw it, i'll just call them the 'residents' no need to worry over a trivial fact like proper terms.

Author's Note:

IAF personnel always make the time to become friends or close allies with the more open minded, moralistic factions wherever they are deployed. Though relations can be strained with nations or factions with radically different ideological or moral standings. Oppressive tyrants, corrupt governments, and self righteous, hypocritical religious factions will find themselves almost immediately opposed no sooner than they make contact with the IAF.

PreviousChapters Next