• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 2,699 Views, 40 Comments

Sunata in C (For Champagne) - BluesyTreble



Although many prefer solitude in their darkest times, meeting someone who'll go through those struggles with them is what they truly need. Sunset Shimmer runs into an evicted Sonata Dusk. Story's after Rainbow Rocks but before Friendship Games.

  • ...
7
 40
 2,699

3 - Salacious and Somber

Dismissal time, Sunset swore, had to be school's equivalent to "rush hour", with students of varying build, clothing and demeanours jostling, pushing past one another to get to the exit, the corridors a myriad of multi-coloured fabric, voice pitches and talk-topics, all heading one direction to disperse at the school gates. It was strange yet amazing that one could hear their peer amongst the dozens or even hundreds of conversations going on at the same time, a thousand different voices, but each and every one a stalwart, steadfast Wonderbolt. Brushing aside the thought, she simply rode the current, figuratively, for she felt nothing like a surfer at the moment, shoulder to shoulder with students she didn't know. At least the school had warmed up to her considerably after the Battle of The Bands, something she had recently grown grateful for.


"C'mooooooonnnnn Rarityyyyyy!" a bored Pinkie Pie wailed, slumping into the fashionista, who winced upon impact. Rarity fished out her stylishly-bedazzled mobile from her purse.

"She already replied me, darling, a true lady possesses patience." She chided the drummer. "You've got to lady up someday, Pinkie, you'll scare off the guys!" Checking her nails, she continued, "See how my refined ways have netted me such a decent handful of suitors!"

Putting her arm around Rarity's shoulder, Pinkie extended her other hand to stroke her friend's jaw, her eyes growing half-lidded. "Oh yeah?" The pink girl smirked, leaning over to place her forehead over Rarity's.

"I don't think they'd be so direct with their moves to gift you with books of such a... "come hither" sort, hmmmm?" She purred into her ears. "Those you conveniently placed under your bed...?" She let out a bubbly giggle before being shoved aside by a blushing Rarity.

"I take my words back," She exclaimed, her face beginning to heat up. "I-I have no such books!"

Pinkie then whipped out a purple leatherbound hardcover, and began to read. Aloud.

""Oh my, dear Blueblood, such proportions never fail to cater to my choosy tastes!" The noblewoman gushed, her eyes travelling down his masculine, sculpted form, her gaze narrowing downwards to meet at his-"

"UNHAND THAT THIS INSTANT, PINKIE PIE," Rarity practically had steam shooting out her ears. Getting up, she attempted a clumsy swipe at her book in Pinkie's hand, then fumed as her novel's captor slipped the book under her shirt. Growling a promise for vengeance, Rarity flopped back into her seat, arms crossed and still-blushing furiously. A pink arm extended and dropped the novel into her lap.

"Aaaaactually you can have it back, Rarity!" Pinkie grinned. "I've read it like, four times over, but I just don't understand what the characters were saying." She inquisitively rubbed her chin. "What's so fun about polishing Blueblood's walking stick?"

"THAT'S FOR ME TO KNOW, PINKIE, AND FOR YOU TO FIND OUT WHEN YOU GROW UP!"

"Looklooklook there's also one I don't get about -"

"OH LOOK PINKIE, HERE COMES SUNSET."

Sunset Shimmer pushed open the glass doors to Sugarcube Corner. The Rainbooms had a rather interesting new tradition to follow. As Mondays, however inevitable, would slug most hapless students with a miserable case of its blues. As a remedy, the band of six would meet up at said Sugarcube Corner, a small-time bakery/cafe that Pinkie worked at. The trendy and upbeat establishment proved itself popular with Canterlot High students thanks to it being relatively close by, and agreeably the best in town. The girls, depending on who was free, would meet up, discuss school matters, swap gossip and whatnot to kick-off the week on a bright note.

"Where's the rest?" The fiery haired girl asked as she pulled out a chair.

"Oh! Applejack has to stay for Algebra tutoring, Fluttershy's on her way, and Rainbow Dash has detention!" Pinkie brightly answered, counting off her fingers. "Also Rarity has this really strange book! Let me- OWW! I-I-I-It's nothing actually!" She rubbed her pinched thigh under the table.

Not gonna tell them about Sonata then, I want a day when everyone's present to get things through clearly.

"Oh yes, Sunset, great work jamming last night," Rarity began. "Also during Chemistry..."


"Starswirl's saggy butt! The door's locked!" A hungover Sonata hammered on its painted hardwood surface. Apparently Sunset had forgotten to pass her spare keys. Turning to slam her back against the unyielding front door one more time, her knees buckled and she slowly slipped down the door into a sitting position. There she hugged her knees and sobbed.

Her head heavy, her sight dim. Fortunately she could still make out the numbers on the clock.

Six-thirty, evening.

The day had gone by slowly and painfully, filled with the weight of the loss of her two sisters, and the realisation that the only two people who had accompanied her into this realm never really cared for her. When she finally could not sleep off the thought, the uncertainty of the future stacked upon her recent loss of family and voice would hit harder than the spell from the elderly mage that had sent her here in the first place. She also at the same time struggled to understand why one of the Rainbooms would take her in so readily. The thought on its own was alien enough. A lifetime of cheating and seduction served to convince her that their singing as Dazzlings was the only thing that brought them help when they needed it, luxury when they desired it, and dirty work done when they saw fit. But this was an initiative made to an enemy out of goodwill, not a magic-powered husk of a minion.

She appreciated the gesture, and during her time spent brooding, had come to trust Sunset Shimmer. Although very little had happened, the Rainboom had still invited what had been a dangerous enemy into her home to stay. Sonata was safe for now.

But centuries.

Centuries she had squandered, not noticing the nagging feeling in her ancient heart. Although they were family, but she never really felt as if she belonged. To them, she kept telling herself, for she knew it was true, she was only an extra. Her individual voice carried strong and soulful, but they preferred to simply keep it as a backing vocal. Without an avenue to even display the full extent of her voice, it had already been torn out of her. It was as if they deliberately suppressed her own song to put theirs in place, causing centuries of bottled up emotions - that she did not even realize existed, to lay stored in her.

And to have that figurative bottle broken was as good as literally shattering the empty champagne bottle that lay before her, and pushing in the glass shards into her heart, one by one, as each painful memory, each push, insult, put-down was recalled, and viewed at in an agonisingly clear perspective, the contents of the shattered bottle forming a deep black bottomless void that sank her pierced heart faster than a destroyed Viking fighting vessel.

Aria would comment on how weak her will was. Adagio wouldn't even bother.

The negative thoughts finally too much to take, the distraught Siren simply threw back her head and screamed, a raw hoarse scream fuelled by anger and anguish at herself for allowing herself a life of self-deceit, of false hope and trust. She lay there, pausing to catch her breath, her chest heaving, her breathing itself audible. She screamed again the moment her breathing stabilised enough to stop gasping for air.

She barely noticed the front door swinging open, her fading scream muffled as the Siren let herself be swept up into Sunset's kneeling embrace.

"You could've told me something was wrong!" Sunset cried. Sonata began to sob again, the sound prompting Sunset to tighten her hug. Sonata could feel her heart beating, squeezing her eyes shut as she wrapped her own arms, with their cold, sweaty palms about Sunset, clinging to her for support as she cried into the Rainboom's shoulder.

"Let it all out," whispered Sunset, her voice soft and soothing. She ran her hand over Sonata's disheveled hair before resting her chin on her head.

Exhausted, Sonata simply lay into Sunset, her eyes still closed, her blue face tear-streaked and tired.

Placing her hands on Sonata's shoulders, Sunset gently pushed her upright.

"Look at me, Sonata," She coaxed gently. The Siren complied, opening her wide blue eyes, the deep purple eyes displaying an emotion Sunset never thought to see. The Dazzling's eyes usually reflected a playful, almost aloof innocence on the surface, but when gazed into for longer, revealed a mix of ancient knowing and confidence, but not this time. Her eyes quivered with an unexpected vulnerability and neediness.

"It's a little past seven. I'll make some dinner and you'll me what's going on, hmm?" She waited for the Siren's nod before pulling her close for another quick hug of assurance, then got up and headed towards the coffee table, stopping short to gawk at the empty bottle laying on its side.

"S-sorry..." Amidst the tears, Sonata still managed to give an embarassed giggle.

Sighing deeply, she helped Sonata up on the couch before discarding the bottle.

Author's Note:

Should I stick a "Sad" tag here? just wondering. :/