• Published 30th May 2012
  • 1,950 Views, 220 Comments

Canterlot: Her Creation and Her Architects - vren55



The untold story of Canterlot Castle's inception and construction after the Rise of Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
3
 220
 1,950

Intermission: Character Creation Series

Important Author's Announcement:

After every 'arc' of sorts, I shall be having brief intermissions where I will explain my thought process behind the creation of my characters. No spoilers will be in these chapters, so sorry for those who want them and don't worry for those who don't want them. This is akin to what the author of Rurouni Kenshin and Naruto did for the first few volumes of their manga.

Intermission: Character Creation Series

Subject: Princess Celestia

WHAT HYPOCRISY IS THIS? YOU DIDN'T CREATE PRINCESS CELESTIA, LAUREN FAUST DID! May be what you readers may be thinking. In that case let me change the subject.

Subject: Princess Celestia, 1000 years before the events of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Nobody knows, except possibly the actual writers and producers, how Princess Celestia would have acted around this time. In my initial plans for the story, Celestia was not a major character. In fact, I wanted to avoid writing her as much as possible for several reasons. I wanted to avoid any flames about my portrayal. Also, I was seriously thinking about EQD submission so I needed to reduce the possibility of me being rejected based on an Out of Character portrayal. Most of all, I wanted to avoid writing too much Royal Canterlot voice.

However, that changed when I decided rather abruptly to make Vaultaire a friend of Princess Celestia. I also realized that Celestia would take a personal interest in the choosing of the architects. Additionally, I found it fun to explore how Celestia would think in this era. Unfortunately, since I wanted Celestia to be in her own character, it made me have to think about making sure her portrayal was reminiscent of canon seasons, yet suited to the situation in my world.

In order to turn the clock on Princess Celestia and make her fit in the universe of Canterlot: Her Creation and Her Architects, my fan interpretation of Princess Celestia borrowed quite a bit from Luna in Season 2 Ep 4 ‘Luna Eclipsed’. Mostly the Royal Canterlot voice part. She’s more insecure and less stable as I hope you readers have noticed, but has the same mischievous mind and manipulative habits. Good Celestia fanfiction such as ‘My Little Alicorn’ and ‘Bringing Up Blueblood’ by InsertAuthorHere, may have provided some sub-conscious inspiration, but I probably did take most of my Celestia character from Celestia-featured episodes (A Bird in a Hoof). All in all, I hope I achieved a recognizable Princess Celestia.