• Published 30th May 2012
  • 1,948 Views, 220 Comments

Canterlot: Her Creation and Her Architects - vren55



The untold story of Canterlot Castle's inception and construction after the Rise of Nightmare Moon.

  • ...
3
 220
 1,948

Secrets

Secrets

White Tower could barely remember waking up. She merely became aware of the rough fabric of her bedroll rubbing against her fur and the soft pillow her head was resting upon. Blinking her eyes, the pony rolled the covers off of her and observed her surroundings. They were camped, that was clear, and everypony was still asleep.

Except for Princess Celestia who was facing the east, her horn glowing as she ushered in the rays of a new day. The golden yellow and fiery orange colours danced across the twilight sky, binding White Tower in its glorious spell. An enchantment that was all too brief as the performance ended, leaving the earth pony wanting for more.

“We hope you hast enjoyed watching our sunrise White Tower. Didst thou sleep well?” asked Celestia kindly as she turned to the pony. White Tower smiled and nodded.

“I slept very well your maj-,” White Tower’s eyes suddenly widened, causing Celestia to approach the younger pony.

“Do you remember the events of the last day?” asked Celestia. White Tower wished she hadn’t, but the onslaught of recollections couldn’t be stopped. She remembered... the nightmare and her collapsing. However, she couldn’t remember anything after that.

“Princess, did I say anything?” asked the mare desperately, her hooves clenched tightly around the blanket. The alicorn shook her head.

“Thy past remains a secret from the others young one.” That caused White Tower to relax, but immediately after that, her muscles tightened up. Slowly, the mare began to back away from Celestia, who was growing more confused by the minute.

“You know?” gasped the mare. Celestia internally sighed as she realized her slip of the tongue.

“We have known for some time and we honestly think thou hast nothing to be ashamed of...”

“I was a-!” White Tower was silenced by a gentle, but firm hoof on her mouth.

“Let us explain ourselves, young pony. We are very good at keeping secrets and we can keep this one a while longer. But you must unburden yourself. The longer that you alone shoulders this burden, the greater your surfferring and nightmares shall grow.” Celestia averted her gaze and lowered her hoof. “The last time somepony we knew dearly kept her demons to herself, she was overtaken by them.” White Tower blanched as she realized whom the princess was speaking of and bit her lip.

“I understand, your majesty,” replied the mare. Celestia smiled warmly and turned to the sleeping Golden Triangle.

“Thou should thank Trottingham once he arises. He was the one who quelled your nightmares yesterday. He cares for you deeply, mayhaps like a daughter.” Celestia then gestured to a snoring white pegasus. “And the Lord Barbican was most concerned about thee.” White Tower’s lips turned up in a bittersweet smile.

“I wonder how much they would care about me if they knew.”

“They would only not let you out of their sights!” exclaimed Celestia. White Tower frowned and then giggled as she realized that was exactly what those two foolish stallions would do. But though her heart felt lighter at that prospect, she wasn’t prepared to tell them, not just yet.

“Thank you, your majesty. I will tell them... in time.”

“Soon I hope, and you are most welcome.”

Author's Note:

Author’s Note: Why this chapter is so short? WELL... I got a big one coming up so this will have to do. Enjoy and Merry Christmas! One of my reviewers pointed out that the thou, thine and thee bits in my 'old Equestrian' sentences is actually incorrect Elizabethan grammar. However, my regular proof pointed out that should I remove this, it would be quite a reader shock and the thou, thine and thee, no matter how incorrectly used, give a sense of style and flair to GT's and Celestia's speaking. What do you people think?