• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 7,092 Views, 97 Comments

The Rainbow and The Comet - RNBW

  • ...
7
 97
 7,092

A Great Day Together

The city was enjoying another beautiful day beneath the pure blue canvas. The sun was shining brightly and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky to obscure the sun. The air was fresh and the shiny green grass glistened in the sun.

Rainbow Dash, with a gym bag strapped over her left shoulder, arrived at a large park located in the heart of the city after a few minutes of walking throught Canterlot while giving Comet Moonstone a piggyback ride.

"Well, we're here," Rainbow said before she bent her knees down to let the child climb off her back. She turned to look at him with a bright smile. "Okay, where do we start, buddy?"

Comet looked at a set of swings, a small smile crept across his face and sighed. "When my Auntie brought me to the park, she used to push me on the swings," he said before turning to look at the athlete. "Rainbow, can you push me on the swings?"

Rainbow chuckled and ruffled his hair tenderly. "Sure. I don't see why not."

The little kid giggled at the head ruffle and the two walked towards the a set of swings.

Comet carefully climbed on the swing and shifted himself to get comfortable. Rainbow held the chains of the swing, took a few steps backwards and pushed forward. As the swing returned, she gave a slightly stronger push and let him swing back and forth.

"Wheeee!" Comet cheered with a happy smile, swinging back and forth.

Rainbow Dash smirked, deciding to join the fun. She took off her gym bag and walked over to the swing next to Comet and jumped on it. Holding the chains, she moved herself back and forth, but unlike Comet, she was at a rapid pace and steadily going higher.

"Hey, Comet! Watch this!" Rainbow called, still swinging.

Comet stopped his swing and looked at her in curiosity.

Once Rainbow was high on the air, she stood up on the swing, jumped off from it and performed a perfect somersault in mid-air. She landed safely on her feet and gave Comet the victory hand sign.

"Whoa!" Comet rose from the swing and began to clap his hands at her impressive stunt.

"I know. Pretty cool, right?" Rainbow gave him a soft smirk.

"That was amazing! How can you do it?" Comet innocently asked, walking towards her.

Rainbow grinned and patted him on the shoulder. "Fruits and vegetables, kiddo. Fruits and vegetables."

"Oh, okay," Comet said, nodding in understanding.

In their next game, Rainbow was doing some pull ups on the chin-up bar while Comet watched in amusement. Rainbow did the pulls ups thirty times in a row without breaking a sweat.

Rainbow released the bar and landed safetly on her feet. "Yep. Awesome as always," she said, streching her arms.

"Umm, can I do it, Rainbow?" Comet asked, smiling up at her.

Rainbow returned the smile with one of her own and shrugged. "Alright, bud. Show me what you can do."

Comet walked underneath the bar and jumped to catch the bar, but he couldn't reach the bar due to his height.

"Oh, wait. Let me help you."

Just then, Rainbow slided her arms under Comet's armpits and lifted him up towards the metal bar. Comet held the bar and he turned to look at Rainbow with a bright smile. Rainbow smiled as well and gave him a thumbs up in return.

Next up, Rainbow and Comet were at the soccer court of the park. Rainbow walked up towards the center of the soccer court as the child followed behind her. Once they were at the center of the court, Rainbow Dash put her gym bag on the floor and crouched down to it's level. She unzipped her bag, pulling out her beloved soccer ball.

Rainbow turned to look at Comet, holding the ball against her hip. "Alright, Comet, the main rule of soccer is to score by getting the ball into the goalpost. To do this you must use your feet to strike or pass the ball, you can also use your head or torso to do so instead."

"Okay," Comet said, nodding in understanding.

"Ah-ah-ah. Not so fast, buddy," Rainbow said as she waved her finger. "It may sound easy, but it isn't."

"Is not easy?" Comet inquired, a look of confusion crept across his face.

The rainbow haired athlete shook her head. "Nope. There's a player whose role is to prevent you from scoring goals. It's called the defender," Rainbow explained, juggling the soccer ball with her right knee.

"Mhm," Comet nodded, wanting to know more.

"But it's not only the defender. There's also the goalkeeper whose role is to protect the goalpost so you can't score goals," Rainbow continued further with her lesson. "When you strike the ball into the goalpost, the goalkeepers will either catching it or directing it away. Also, the goalkeepers are the only players who can touch the ball with their hands or arms."

"Whoa, you're an expert on this, Rainbow," Comet said with a innocent smile.

Rainbow let out a light hearted chuckle. "Well, I'm just that awesome. Check this out."

When the ball was on the air, Rainbow Dash jumped and gave the ball a mighty kick while doing a perfect backflip. The ball head straight for the goalpost at the other side of the court like a bullet and striking it with fierce force.

Comet stared at Rainbow with wide eyes, surprised at the play that she performed.

"And that's only the beggining," Rainbow Dash gave him a confident smirk. "I'll be right back," she said before sprinting towards the goalpost to pick up the ball.

Time passed by as Comet Moonstone has the time of his life playing soccer with Rainbow. Since Comet was just a little child, Rainbow decided to go easy on him instead, even going as far as to let him score a goal.

After how Comet had it rough with his so-called father, Rainbow Dash couldn't help but smile warmly at seeing how happy Comet was now. In just three days, the two already developed a close mother and son bond and Rainbow simply couldn't wait to adopt Comet as her son.

Their match ended in a 3 - 3 draw, but nevertheless they had smiles on their faces.

Rainbow and Comet were sitting at a bench nearby the soccer court and drinking bottled cold water. Then Rainbow got up from the bench and stretched her limbs as Comet did the same.

"Well, Comet, that's all for today. But don't worry, we can have more fun tomorrow," Rainbow said with a gentle smile.

"Okay, Rainbow," Comet nodded.

"Rainbow Dash!" suddenly, a young female voice called out.

Rainbow immediately recognized the voice and turned to look at the source with a friendly smirk. Comet, however, was startled by the new voice and hid behind Rainbow.

A ten years old girl was coming towards them, riding on a scooter. She had short purple hair, purple eyes and orange skin. Also, she was wearing a short sleeve black leather jacket with cyan lining, green baggy shorts and black boots.

"What's up, Scoots!" Rainbow greeted as the two shared high five followed by a fist bumb. "How's my little sister doing?"

"I'm doing good, big sister!" Scootaloo replied with a cheerful grin. "Watcha doing, Rainbow?"

Rainbow casually wrapped her arm around her. "Meh, nothing much. Just hanging out with my little buddy."

A look of confusion etched across Scootaloo's face. Before she could ask about the "little buddy", Scootaloo saw the child hiding behind Rainbow's leg who had a look of shyness.

"Rainbow, who's the little guy? Is he your little brother?" Scootaloo asked.

"Oh, him? Nah, he's just a friend," Rainbow smiled softly at Comet and stepped aside to reveal him. She placed her hands on his shoulders. "Comet, I want you to meet Scootaloo. She's my awesome surrogate little sister," Rainbow then looked at Scootaloo with that same smile. "Scootaloo, this little buddy is Comet Moonstone. I'll be taking care of him for a while. Say hello, Comet."

Comet gave a slight wave, smiling lightly at her. "H-Hi, Scootaloo. I-It's nice to m-meet you too."

Scootaloo hopped off her scooter and gave the child a friendly smile. "Well, hey there, Comet! It's nice to meetcha! You don't need to be scared of me, any friend of Rainbow Dash is also my friend," she greeted before looking at Rainbow. "I didn't know you worked as a babysitter, Rainbow."

"Actually, Scootaloo, I'm not working as a babysitter," Rainbow corrected as she wrapped her arm around Comet who had sad frown.

"Huh?" Scootaloo tilted her head in confusion.

Rainbow looked down at the kid with a sad look. "Comet, it's alright if I tell her?"

Comet gave her a simple nod in reply.

"Well, Scoots, the truth is..." Rainbow explained to her surrogate little sister how she meet Comet. As well how his mother and auntie died and when he was abused by his father.

After Rainbow explained the child's tale to Scootaloo, Comet allowed small tears to roll down his checks. Rainbow Dash placed a comfoting hand on his shoulder and began to softly rub it.

Scootaloo's feeling were mixed. She was shocked to hear of what Comet went through and at the same time she felt bad for the little colt.

"Jeez, buddy, I'm sorry you had to go through that," Scootaloo gave him a sympathetic look.

"I-It's okay, S-Scootaloo," Comet said, wiping his tears and smiled softly at Rainbow. "I-I'm living w-with Rainbow now."

Rainbow Dash chuckled and gave him a warm smile in return.

Scootaloo walked up to Comet and patted his shoulder with a grin. "Trust me in this, Comet. Rainbow Dash is the best friend you ever find. Although you probably found it out already."

Comet smiled and pulled her into a hug. Scootaloo returned the hug without a moment of hesitation.

'You have no idea how right you are,' Rainbow thought to herself, smiling at the two. "Well, Comet, say goodbye to Scootaloo. We need to go back home."

"Okay," Comet nodded at her before looking at Scootaloo. "G-Goodbye, Scootaloo. It was nice to meet y-you."

"It was nice to meet you too, Comet," Scootaloo said, ruffling his hair. She then looked at her older sister. "See ya tomorrrow, Rainbow."

"See ya tomorrow, Scoots," Rainbow said as the two shared another fist bumb.

Scootaloo got on her scooter and rode away from them as Rainbow and Comet watched her go.

Rainbow Dash looked down at the little colt with a smile. "Alright, bud, let's go home. Once we arrive, I'm going to make you the dinner. How does that sound?"

"O-Okay, Rainbow," Comet replied with a warm smile before wrapping his arms her waist. Just then, four warm words came from Comet's mouth which melted Rainbow's heart completely.

"I love you, Rainbow."

Rainbow stood there, wide eyed and shocked, but she gave the kid a bright, motherly smile. Without hessitation, she kneeled down to his level and wrapped her arms around him.

"Rainbow loves you too, Comet," she softly whispered into his ear.

Rainbow turned around to face her back toward the child, motioning him climb on her back. Comet carefully wrapped his arms around Rainbow’s neck as she stood up, gently lifting him up from under his legs. With that, the two began their trek back to home.

As Rainbow made her way towards her house, the blue sky was sinking into a light crimson hue. During the trek, Comet felt asleep on her back, just like the day when they meet, which made Rainbow chuckle.

Once she arrived at her house, Rainbow opened the door and entered. Without distubing the sleeping child, Rainbow carefully placed him on the sofa. She took off her blue jacket and put it over Comet like a blanket, leaving her clothed only in her white tank top and the pink and white skirt with the short black leggings underneath.

Rainbow gave him a soft kiss on the forehead before walking towards the kitchen to prepare the dinner. Suddenly, her cellphone started to rang from the pocket of her skirt.

Rainbow pulled out her cellphone and looked at it. It was a call from Sunset Shimmer.

She pressed the call button and held it against her ear. "Sup, Sunset?"

"Rainbow, I got some news," Sunset's voice came in the other line and it sounded urgent.

"Huh? What kind of news?" Rainbow inquired, raising an eyebrow as she entered the kitchen.

"Umm, how do I put it?" The other line was silent for a few seconds until Sunset started to explain the news to her. "The police have found Comet's father and now he's on jail."

Rainbow's eyes widened and felt a twinge of excitement at the news. "Really?"

"Just as you heard," Sunset said. "However, you and Comet need to be at the trial. Maybe you can claim his custody once trial ends."

Rainbow smiled, remaining silent for a moment before coming up with an question. "When is the trial?"

"Two days. Don't worry we got your back, Rainbow, and Comet's too," Sunset said in determination.

"Thanks, Sunset, but I need a lawyer for this,"

"Oh, that. Don't worry. We already covered that," Sunset said reassuringly. "I heard he's good at this."

Rainbow Dash felt relieved. "Okay. Again, thanks for this, Sunset."

"Hehe, don't mention it. I hope everything goes well," Sunset said, her voice sounded a little happy.

"Me too."

"Well, see ya tomorrow."

"Same."

Rainbow hung up her phone and let out a soft sigh.

'I really hope everything goes well. Most importantly for Comet.'

Author's Note:

Enjoyed? :rainbowkiss:

Next time on The Rainbow and The Comet... Can Rainbow be the mother that Comet needs?