• Published 10th Sep 2015
  • 1,898 Views, 134 Comments

Mocha's Story - Mocha Star



"Mocha" was a human in a dangerous deadly war, now he's pony in peaceful Equestria... But the time between the end of his life as a human and the life of peace he now has as a pony was not easy to obtain. War and peace; nothing comes easy to some.

  • ...
41
 134
 1,898

Chapter 7

I trudged along until after the sun set and the stars sparkled above me. I looked at them as I walked and wondered where I was.

How did I get here. Was this death? What do I even look like in this suit? What if it merged with me? What if I’m a zombie, decaying in here. So many what-ifs, nothing to know. I really have to get out of this armor, how much longer unti-

It was at that moment I found a small cliff.

Yeah, laugh it up. Haw haw. It wasn’t very funny to me, you know. I was having a moment and then boom, I’m face first in what seemed like rocks and mud.

It’s not that funny. Sheesh.

Well, glad you’re back. Have a good bathroom break? Glad I could make you laugh till you peed. Right, back to it? Thanks.

So, I fell face first into this muck, hush!

And I grumbled to myself. I looked at my sensors and wasn’t too happy to see a black spot on my armor display. My left knee was nearly broken. The armor, not mine. I pushed myself up and rolled back to a sitting position when I just started screaming and shouting. Letting all the frustration I’d had from the moment I was bombed until I found, her.

So much trouble and I bottled it up.

I lost my world, friends, and now my armor was crumbling around me. I shouted about how much I wanted out of that dumb armor, only to have the front crack open and hiss. The front of my torso was awash in cool fresh air and I took the deepest breath I could. The air was so fresh and sweet.

It was only a little bit, but I was so enthused and excited my frustrations melted away. I felt almost giddy. I wasn’t dead. I wasn’t a zombie. I wasn’t alone. All I had to do was get up and really use my rifle as a crutch and find my team.

“Close the armor,” with a whirr and hiss I was sealed back in, “open comms. Can anyone hear me? Anyone out there?”

A slight static noise and then silence. “If they’re out here they’re alive. Radio static doesn’t just happen like that. System, try to hail anyone else. Use morse code with static if you have to. I’m gonna get to Skippy and start fixing this.”

I got up and crutched myself, and began trudging ahead. I could still move my leg, but it wasn’t easy. My speed was so much slower and I couldn’t risk being out at night without my armor. And now that I had a gap I could Superman my suit open and pee in a bush like a man.

I had renewed vigor and kept going, glancing at the sky this time, not focusing it. I heard random static popping in and had high hopes I’d get a signal soon. Then I got another surprise. I mean, what a first day? So much happened it felt like I was fast forwarding through a movie.

I was surrounded by smiling faces and large eyes. Spears aimed to the sky as I was rushed by my horse friends again. I untinted my visor and looked to them surrounding me. I saw Retila and a few of his pals grinning to see me. I dragged my feet together and stood as best I could.

I had to tell them, even if they knew. I felt the corners of my mouth trembling, pulling down as I remembered seeing her on the ground. I looked around, but for the life of me I couldn’t tell them apart well enough in the day. The night made it worse. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath.

“Lom, Mocha prit…”

“Mocha!”

I turned my head to the noise and saw a horse pushing through the crowd. It stopped before me and I looked at it.

“No way…”

“Mocha, prit! Ynipyut tolnat!” she shouted excitedly.

Oh shit, I’m a racist bastard. I can never mention how I couldn’t tell them apart.

I commanded my armor to open and grabbed my chest with my hands. Risk be damned, I was so happy and sad to see her. I pulled and felt the gears grinding until it clicked past the breaking point and slid open. The hoses and things retracted from my body and, honestly I forgot they were there until that point. Very weird.

The creatures scattered back as I fell out to my knees. A little worse of wear, but I was so happy to see Lom in the flesh. She was, well, confused to see me. First I was this giant thing, now I’m a tinier thing and not as tough.

I looked at her and felt my eye water. “Lom, my friend. I’m so glad to see you.”

She smiled at my voice and looked at my empty armor, standing by itself, then to me again before walking up and nuzzling my cheek. She was warm and soft, her coat smelled like, well horse, I guess. When she pulled back she sniffed me and recoiled. I had been walking in my own sweat for a good couple days, among other things.

She, on the other hoof, hand, had breath that smelled like a fruit smoothie. I hummed in pleasure at the memory of a thick fruit smoothie I’d had a few months before. Cost a lot but damn was it worth it. I heard some giggles and realized their voices were more sweet than I knew. inside the armor there were filters, face to muzzle was so surreal.

“Lom, are you okay?”

She looked at me closely, my eyes adjusting to the dark as best they could. I never really had great night vision to begin with. She leaned into me again and covered her nose with her hoof as she spoke to me again.

“Mocha, ythmloth poohye.”

I broke down into laughter as she and the others backed up reflexively.

“You’re saying I stink?” I asked as I collected myself. “Pooyah, Mocha?”

A round of laughter waved across them. Great, that meant something else.

“Ngng, Mocha poohye,” she leaned in to speak softer, “pooyah Mocha…” she patted my head and mouthed ‘pooyah’.

My eyes widened as I think I got it. “Oh,” I said then felt my face contort into disgust. That made them laugh louder.

Yeah, I’ll tell you I learned the translation for what I said was literally ‘poop on me’.

Yeah, I said that. But I said I wasn’t a linguist and I stand by it! Anywho...

After a large round of laughs I stood up with pins and needles through my legs, stumbling I caught myself and stretched letting a mighty groan leave me. Maybe too loud as foals ran under their parents who huddled together.

Oh yeah, they may think I’m a monster. Better just yawn, cover it up.

I yawned as I stretched and smacked my lips loudly before looking to a group of huddlers. They relaxed and sighed, their foals still hiding but peeking at me.

Lom began talking to her people about something while I turned to observe my armor. Damn it was banged up. Looked worse than I imagined, but better than I would had I not had it taking all the hits for me.

The armor was dented all over. Paint was just awful. Burns and scorch marks from passing near a sun, and not a single bullet mark.

“They’d be impressed, or disappointed. I hope I get to find out,” I said softly as I felt a bump on my butt. I turned to look and expected Lom, but I got an elder. She was tiny, almost frail looking. I wondered how she was able to keep with the herd if they ran through the forest and all that.

“Mocha, tal’than Brop. Mocha prit Lom?” Lom chimed in agreement. With a nod Brop smiled at me. “Mocha ruoum. Mocha prit Poh’Nee.”

I thought about it for a second and couldn’t help but chuckle. “Pony?”

She crooked her head to the right. “Poh’Nee,” she emphasised by waving a foreleg to her people.

“Ah, Pony,” I said again, “gotcha,” I nodded curtly and crossed my arms like it was my understanding. I saw her roll her eyes and smirk.

At least she didn’t press the issue. I reserve then as I do now, the right to be a smartass. “So, where are we?” I asked openly.

Current location unknown. System said.

A flurry of motion and I was pulled back from my armor behind the horses, who were ready to defend me from the disembodied voice.

Random shouting and the intrel pticks started, but I shouted loudly; roared more like, to gather their attention.

Looking to me they realized their foolish act.

“If I’m here, and I came from that; that must be a part of me, right?”

Some turned back to the armor and poked at the open cavity with their spears, others closed their eyes and swallowed hard. Intelligence varies among these creatures too. Funny how they named their tribe Poh’Nee. Like pony, but they’re not ponies. They’re horses.



“Okay, that’s really been confusing me,” she interjected, “you know the difference between ponies and horses. Most horses live in the deserts to the south, or they emigrated from Equestria during the three race war. Even the city of Saddle Arabia only hosts about twenty and most of them are just ambassadors from other nations.”

I smirked at her again. “Yeah, I know. I was there. The thing I’ll cover in more detail sooner or later is that when I got here, I met horses first. That’s all, I’m not misinforming you or anything. Just stay calm and let me ramble on, okay?”

She rolled her eyes. Eye plates. Grah! Okay, back to the story. Gods I can’t believe what he did.

“Okay, well, as I was saying…



It was a coincidence. What was happening around me was just life returning to normal after that.

The horses gathered into families and huddled together, trying to stay warm in the falling temperatures. I noticed it was getting colder than it had the previous night but I needed to learn something about these creatures.

I walked to a random group who eyed me with caution and non even a little trust as I sat down and crossed my legs. I smiled warmly showing my teeth. Yeeah, they got up and scurried back to another place, leaving me alone like a fool. I let my shoulders fall and I slumped. I felt so weird now.

Nature, in its finest form, was around me. It was dark now and I could see the stars everywhere above, but I didn’t see the arms of the galaxy. I looked to my wrists and let a sarcastic laugh go. “If this was a movie I’d have all this cool tech to talk to my armor. Maybe have it walk over and start a fi-” I hopped up and ran to my armor, spun around and slammed into it.

Automatically it shutting itself around me as I read the displays and readouts. “System, distance to Skippy?”

Last known location would be seven miles on a heading of 230 degrees. I have marked the direction on your compass.

“Any luck contacting him yet?”

Negative. All comms have stopped from his location.

“What?! When?” I asked with a bit more volume than I needed to use at a computer.

When you were last asleep his short range transponder was disabled.

“Well that’s just prime. Fine, I need to start a fire to get this place warm for my new friends. What do I need?”

It was kind of embarrassing to ask a computer for help on how to make a fire; the most basic and needed of all survival skills. I had never needed to know, I always had tech to fall back on. Trainers taught us that when we were kids, but it was more of a novelty since we were going to be spending most of our lived inside buildings with power and all that.

I mean, how many times have you had to make a fire pit for survival while in Manehattan? Ha, that look says it all.

Well, I gathered up sticks and even climbed a smaller tree and broke a few branches off, just incase I needed to make smoke for something like, oh, I don’t know, maybe my friends to see and come to me. The horses were all watching me intently as I piled a mound of sticks and kindling into a small clearing.

I went and cleared a space as best I could to make a safe fire area, and began digging a hole.

Quickly others joined in. I had my night vision on and could see almost as well as they could and the looks of determination while digging was impressive. Took about seven minutes to dig a five foot deep pit. I stopped them and called Lom over and knelt down to look at her. She was dusty but didn’t seem too tired after helping dig.

“Lom, Pony back up.”

I gestured with my arms to the area and she took the cue. Communicating was getting easier. She shouted and they all backed up giving me a wide area. Not enough though, I motioned and they backed up more. I thought about seeing how far I could push it but I decided that was enough.

I grabbed a large armful of twigs and stuff and threw them into the hole and waited for them to settle while keeping the others back. I did make sure to keep a sharp eye on my rifle while I did all this by the way.

Well, I loaded a flare into my arm cannon and aimed it at the fire pit and shot. Boom, fire exploded in a giant mushroom cloud and announced my arrival to the land. I stood tall over it and bellowed in a mighty royal voice. “I bring thee fire from Mount Wannahockaloogie, bow before…”



“Oh, c’mon! Can’t I do some dramatic inflation?” I was standing on my hind rear leg while my right was on the chair. My left foreleg was on my flank and my right was holding a pencil like a sword.


She looked at me like a cow looks at an oncoming train. Just like I was the most annoying pony ever, at the moment.

“If I wanted to have somepony make stuff up I’d listen to my old roommate explain my hobbies,” she said. Suddenly she looked defeated and I lowered myself to all fours and went to her side.

“Listen, I like you. And I believe in you and what you’re doing. Please, don’t be upset. Look, I’ll do my best to remain calm and serious. I can’t promise anything but I’ll do my best,” I reached and brushed her cheek in just the certain way without thinking and she instantly gasped and blushed.

“Oh, Celestia I didn’t mean it like that, really!”

Yeah, I kind of accidentally just made a sexual pass at her.

She turned to look away and let the pencil fall to the floor as she buried her face in her hooves, trying to compose herself. I backed away and felt my heart race a bit. I had been with my wife for several years now and I couldn’t have another. Plus this one is kinda nuts, don’t fall into the trap.

“Look, I’m already with my special somepony, I didn’t mean that like that. It was a mistake, okay?”

My reassuring worked and she looked to me, her blush receding a bit.

“Y-you know, you should be careful with that hoof of yours. It’s softer than it looks… Oh my, now I’m doing it. I’m sorry,” she took in a deep breath and placed her hooves in her lap and looked to the ceiling, exhaling forcefully but slowly, gathering her wits. “No pony has touched me like that for a while, sorry.”

“It’s okay. Besides, I have enough in my herd,” I joked. She giggled in a really cute way and covered her mouth again.

“How many is that, now?” she asked sweetly.

“Well, there’s me as the stallion. My first mare is Light Eyes, she’s a Bat-Pony. Then there’s Vanilla Mint, she’s a unicorn from Long Isle. Then there’s,” she looked at me with growing awe, “Amber Sap, another unicorn. She’s my favorite in so many ways. She’s creative, smart, funny and the one who loves to travel with me on my adventures. Also the only one I married.”

“So, you said you had a wife, not a herd,” she said sweetly and starting to show signs of interest in me.

Not what I need. Not what I need. Not what I need. Not what I need.

“Well, with a ratio of 4 mares to every stallion in Equestria I have a pretty small herd. No foals yet, though.” Shit, why’d I say that?

“Well, if there’s ever a position that I can fill in your herd… Oh, Celestia no! That’s not how I meant that to sound, really.”

Now I was blushing. Deeply. I actually felt the heat of my breath leaving my muzzle.

“I need fresh air,” we both shouted at the same time. Looking to each other we shared an awkward laugh and we agreed to take a break, outside. In public.

“So, this’ Ponyville? I know a lot about it, but not as much as I thought. What with Nightmare Moon coming back and all I kind of stopped paying attention and focused on keeping my herd safe. You know how it is.”

“Yeah,” she said softly, “ever since that whole thing, Princess Luna coming back, there’s been more danger and adventure happening every week. Most of us locals take Saturdays off and go out of town,” I chuckled to hear her say that. Saturdays were always the best day off for me.

“On occasion the trouble follows them so we have to keep an ear out to know what their plans are in advance. I once went to a wedding and was attacked by Changelings.”

“There’s no safe place around here anymore. But, don’t be to hard on the Changelings. Just like any other creature, they’re just trying to survive in the only way they know how,” I looked to the stars and admired how beautiful the night was. How much beauty Luna brought to the canvas.

“If nothing else, we have to find way to help them to not die without hurting them or us. Queen Cryssy isn’t so evil, just trying to live.”

She turned to look at me in a slight reverence. “You have a unique look on things. Why’re you not famous, or a teacher?”

I looked at her and had so many things to say. “Let’s get back to the story and I’ll fill you in on the why’s.”

Author's Note:

Lom Lives! Booya, take that. Told ya this story isn't gonna be all cliche. Well, a lot's going on so far and it's only been a couple hours into his story. There's a long way to go and I thank you for enjoying the start so far. Comments are down there. Don't care if it's September of 2015 or July of 2020, comment and let me know what you think!