• Published 10th Sep 2015
  • 1,898 Views, 134 Comments

Mocha's Story - Mocha Star



"Mocha" was a human in a dangerous deadly war, now he's pony in peaceful Equestria... But the time between the end of his life as a human and the life of peace he now has as a pony was not easy to obtain. War and peace; nothing comes easy to some.

  • ...
41
 134
 1,898

Chapter 11

A shriek followed by gibberish and a scampering sound with scratching came hurdling toward us as she loosened her hug to look at the noise with me. A small green creature, maybe four feet tall, if it was standing upright with pointy ears was quickly running toward us. A sharp inhale from Lom was all the warning I got before she screamed, whipped her head around and smacked me across the side of mine. Horses have really hard muzzles.

She stumbled back and ran to Retalia, who jumped to her defence while I held my face while laying on my side and trying to hold back a long list of bad words that would make anypony cover their ears.

It stopped by me and gibbered at the puddle Lom had made. I looked to it and rolled to a sitting position and, while wincing through a throbbing face-pain that was starting to swell a bit, it looked to me.

“Holy crap, you’re a goblin?!” I shouted, scampering back. I had read of them, greedy little monsters that were fast with a knife and would kill for gold. It growled and turned, scampering back, giving a roll when it lost its footing. Pretty cool to see it cuz it kept its pace like it was nothing.

It returned a few seconds later with a mop. If my face wasn’t throbbing from getting face slapped by a horse I’d have facepalmed. It was a janitor and was unhappy, as can be expected. I placed my hand on my leg, stood up, then frowned. The moisture in my pants was getting cold fast.

I was tempted to try to wipe it off, for some reason and I did. That was when I swore, a lot. A few creatures came by to see what the… harsh words were for, only to see me looking at my hand like it did something wrong.

The goblin looked to me while mopping the floor and grinned. Cursing under its breath in Goblin it turned, scampered away before returning quickly when it offered me a simple towel. Reaching for it, the goblin pulled it back and reached its hand out, palm up. It’s small green hand, curved fingers, almost sharp to the point angled nails that were at least an inch long.

“Well, I don’t have anything to trade since I’m new here and all I have is on me is this pocket knife.” It reached up and snatched the knife then lowered its hand and glared at me, gibbering again it threw the towel at me then rolled backwards and hopped up on its feet, walking back out of the room.

“That was awkward, and I lost a good knife,” I stated, “are you two okay?”

“Yes, we okay. Goblins hunt us, slave trade, no like them.”

“Slave trade? Didn’t expect that, and how do they get you? You’re bigger, stronger, faster than them.”

They are many. More than us, trade for stuff. Bad creatures,” Retalia hissed with a hint of anger as he glared at the doorway after the goblin left.

I took the towel and wiped it across my butt and lower legs and was shocked. It dried me almost instantly. “Magic towels? Holy shit; I’m definitely keeping this.” I grinned wide and rolled it up, putting it in my thigh pocket. I shouted as it emptied its contents across my leg. Lom and Retalia found it amusing, I didn’t.

So, I found out how it worked; fold it, thirty seconds later it empties… Ya know, to save a bit of time since the next two weeks are pretty mundane I’ll just skip ahead a little bit and cover the basics.

We got set up in a series of rooms adjacent to each other in the dorm. They had a rule against ‘reproduction’, or attempts thereof in Collective so no chances were allowed; that meant no sex allowed.

My armor charged its batteries up to seventy percent and that was its max after all its damage.

Lom and Retalia were schooled using a simple magic book that put basic knowledge into their heads, I did too but, it was mostly language basics.

There were eight languages used on the world that was literally called ‘Home’. There was also an odd development; the recordings I had taken didn’t have magic effecting it in both my armor and my glasses.

Every ‘word’ that was uttered by Lom, the deer, a gryphon I had asked about where it was from was neighs, bleats, elongated caws, nothing was translated into anything I could understand. By the way, gryphons were a lot more hostile back then. If I was anywhere else it would have disemboweled me while using her beak, which they sharpened back then, to split my head open and drink my blood as it squirted into her mouth.

Yeah, she said that and I had no reason to doubt her. So, I made the choice to avoid gryphons when outside my armor. I had used a bit of tree bark to patch a few holes in my armor and done some wrench work to get my armors knee sort of working again. It wasn’t gonna be great but it looked less broken.

I could trot, I mean walk in it easy enough but running was out. Jumping wasn’t a choice and if I fell down another cliff it’d break again. I was by no means a mechanic but there was basic repair stuff in the computer's memory and a couple tools. So, that was the gist of it.

What languages were there? Well, there was Goblin, used by most trolls, orcs, goblins, ya know, those kinda creatures.

Next was Equish, that’s what you and I are speaking. Call it Celestian if you want but it’s called Equish. Horses, earth ponies spoke it.

Next was Avian, which was used by gryphons, hawkins, many pegasi at the time…

Yeah, pegasi had a different language. Next was Mystic used by unicorns, chimera, the rare hippogryph, and the like.

Next was a language few could speak called demongogian which was used by demons and creatures of pure evil.

Centaurian was used by centaurs.

Mind, which was a psychic language, was rarely used since it was a language that wasn’t taught, but was instinctive; something they’re still born with. Those that used it were often times secret users or used in trade negotiations between nations and held in high regard, some unicorns could tap into this with their magic too.

Lastly was dragonese. It’s actually the first language and was the base of all other languages here. So, that’s the basics of language back then. Now, though, Equish is the common language amongst almost all creatures and is easy enough to learn. So, may I continue? Thanks.

So, two days later Lom and Retalia were talking with verbs! It was so exciting, but hard to keep going. They did have a life of speaking one way, afterall, so I didn't press the issue. Math was another issue. Base four was almost too difficult to learn, and teaching math was something I couldn't do. I only knew the basics of adding and subtracting but multiples and division were almost impossible without a calculator.

Best of all, potty training was starting and Lom was taking to it very well, or so I was told. She was scolded harshly several times for making a mess so she took to it quickly.


“Ya know, it’s getting really late. Let’s call it a night and go to our rooms and continue this in the morning.”

She looked a bit nervous. “Well, you see, I didn’t think this would take so long. I didn’t get a room, I had planned to get on the last train home.”

“Wait, you don’t have a room? Can you get one, they’re always ready to take new travelers at these places and it was pretty cheap.”

“I don’t have enough bits. I-I guess I’ll just find a place outside, maybe in a bush or under a cart. Wouldn’t be the first time,” she said.

I groaned and raised my hoof to the side of my head. Sure, I could loan her the bits, but that’s inconvenient since she’d owe me. Crap, only one choice. “You can sleep here, I’ll sleep on the floor.”

“You’d do that for me?” she asked hopefully, “I guess if it isn’t a bother.”

“Nah, it’s better than having a cute mare like you sleeping out there.”

She blushed again. “I’m not that cute, I’m just normal.”

“Green has been one of my favorite colors for a while,” I said calmly. I was trying to assure her that she was in safe hooves while here and that I wasn’t going to let her be taken advantage of. Yeah, like my words had any effect besides turning her on. Crap, what’s wrong with me?

“Okay,” I said before yawning loudly, “I’m gonna crash, see you in the morning.”

She looked to me and nodded. As we got off our chairs and walked to our respective places of sleep we said our goodnights, she turned off the lamps with her magic and covered up, snuggling into the bed. I laid on the floor and quickly fell into a deep asleep.

Always the heavy sleeper I didn’t notice her pick me up in her magic and move me into bed with her, wrap me up in the blankets, and turn over. We slept together, in the same bed. But that’s all that happened.

I woke up the next morning in bed and forgot she was there. I yawned softly and stretched, moving the covers off me slightly to see a problem only certain males experience early in the morning. Standing at full attention was… you know. So, I groaned. I didn’t wanna get up yet, I liked traveling cuz I get to sleep in.

Then I felt a leg drape over me and a rustle behind me, followed by a nuzzle and sigh. The memory of me falling asleep on the floor, not the bed. She moved me to make me comfortable and here I was, eyes wide in shock as her rear leg draped over my flank and came dangerously close to touching… it.

Gods, what do I do? Crap, crap, crap. Don’t move your legs, don’t move your legs, I tried to will her; just then she moved her legs and pulled me closer. She was a sleep cuddler, just what I didn’t need.


I decided to break a cardinal rule of mine, to save a lot of trouble and awkwardness. I focused and teleported a few lengths away just outside the bathroom. She woke when her legs hit the bed, where I was, and she looked at me as I was jumping into the bathroom. I know she saw me moving but I don’t know if she saw my ‘problem’.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, just gotta go. Morning and all,” I said as calmly as I could as I stood in the bathroom, willing it away to no avail. I decided to try to go, which I did. Thankfully that worked and away it went. With a grin I washed my hooves, splashed some water on my face, then left the room.

She was sitting in the bed still, reading the last few pages we completed and mumbling to herself.

“Well, good morning and thanks for the bed, but really, it wasn’t necessary.”

“Oh no, it’s okay. Since my roommate kicked me out I’ve been sleeping alone and she’d at least comfort me once in awhile.”

“Oh, so you’re…”

“No, not often. It was more just a casual thing when we were in heat.”

“Ah, I see. Well, breakfast?”

Yeah, I wasn’t surprised. Females were more populous and often times would join in temporary unions. Marriage was uncommon but not rare among ponies of any gender relationship but when it was decided it only took less than three months to make that commitment. Anyway, breakfast was fine, then we got back to the room and back to my story.

This was going to be a long story. “Are you up to traveling with me? This story is going to cover a long period in your long past history.”

“Um, sure? Where are we going then?”

“Well, I have some business to get done in the south, then I have to go north and do a few deals along the way before going home. We might be done in a few days if we go constantly.”

“A few days? Well, I have no life now, so sure. I’ll have to borrow bits, if that’s okay.”

“Sure thing, I have more than enough bits and bars to make it.”

“Bars?! You have that many bits?”

“Yeah, business is good.” I said with a hint of joy in my voice.

Incase you didn’t know there are bits, bars, and bricks. A bit is one, a bar is fifty, and a brick is a hundred. They don’t use any other denominations, well, there’s the block work a thousand, but they’re too heavy to move easily and usually used to make major land purchases. Mostly made from gold, they is a mixture of silver and a gem shard in the center, size depending on the worth, made from acanacite with palladium crossed through it.

Absolutely unforgeable and, thanks to the gem, impossible to reshape. Acanacite is a gem found under Canterlot castle, guarded by Celestia and more spells than even Discord could get through if he had a millennia to try.

Anyway, I tangent a lot, I know. But, at least I think it’s interesting stuff, so there.


“Mocha, you use many words and we do not, why?” Lom asked in her sweet voice.

“Well, I guess it’s cause my people have a long history of war, and that makes it more important to talk. More words means more ways to win.”

She nodded, I could tell she didn’t get it and even I didn’t have a clue about what I was talking about. I was just rambling an answer hoping it made sense. It wasn’t too bad, I guess.

“Hoo-nym."

"Call me Mocha."

Retalia smirked. "You war a lot?"

That was an answer I could answer.

“No, most wars are made by our leaders and we do as they say.”

He grunted in agreement. “I know, many times defenders must go with gatherers instead of have fun,” he said dejectedly, “but, I follow Lom to keep safe, so not always bad.”

We shared a smile, his was a bit subdued, but still a smile. He didn’t trust me enough yet, but friendship was something that was easy to come by. Close friendship is what takes a while to earn.

It didn’t take long for us to get bored with the place. It was only a library after all.

With a trade of a few blank rounds to a goblin in the market under the guise they would scare a monster the size of a dragon away with one pop. A test round fired when the goblin came by my armor in the storage area proved my point. I got a significant amount of rations and some gems that were tradeable across the lands.

So, I got some blankets and bedding, as well as a small pup tent for us to sleep under, as a gift from the deer and with that we set off. Like a fool I didn’t ask for a map in my haste to explore the lands and search for my friends but that was easily fixed with a probe sent up as soon as we saw the sun above us. The terrain was a bit hilly and rough around the edges, but wasn’t a problem. The trees came to an abrupt end about twelve miles to the east to a plains.

I took the lead and turned on some music at low volume while I walked at a steady pace. My armor was moving a bit better than I’d expected out in the open and not in a storage room in a tree. It was really calm, just like at the library. The sun was rising when we left and was almost at its apex when we stopped for our first break.

The horses actually preferred to graze while I dipped into my share of the rations.

“Mocha,” Lom asked me while I nibbled on a bread type thing that was pretty bland, “why you not eat with us? Floor food is yummy,” she said smiling with grass in her teeth. I swear I saw a bug too, but averted my eyes.

“I can’t eat grass, my tummy isn’t made for it. I can eat bread though, so I’m gonna eat this now. Thanks for the offer.”

She nodded and turned, prancing back to Retalia, and began munching on berries on a bush, branches too. Crunching and grinding it between their teeth was actually kinda cool. I usually hate hearing others eat, always, but I guess I enjoyed the sounds of company.

Since my freak out I only had them to keep me company, and I was so grateful when I realized that they’d stayed with me of their own accord. I imagine, even now, that it must have been a bit of a hard choice to leave their herd for some weird creature they had met a couple days earlier.

At the time I didn’t understand, now I do. I’ll get to that later, too.

The next few days were pretty calm. It rained from the third to the sixth day, we ate our rations by the fourth day, and we talked. I listened mostly. Now, as you can tell, I’m a talker. But, what could I possibly talk about that they would understand? The only things we had in common were basic living stuff like food and shelter, the latter they weren’t really dependant on.

On a side note, it turns out I did teach their clan how to make fire. I just took the old two sticks method that night and showed them. At first it was done by a random defender, who screamed in terror and, with the rest of them, scurried away into the forest until I coached them out. I imagined, at the time, that they were all making friendly fires and had started a nice forest fire that would undoubtedly never stop burning.

(I shrugged dismissively as she looked at me with narrowed eyes.)

We reached the edge of the forest and looked out at the plains ahead of us and I got out of my armor to talk to them, face to muzzle. Taking a knee I asked them the big question.

“We have to decide, go forward, into the unknown for us both, or walk along the forest edge and see what we find. What do you think?”

“Hmm, I want to go new place with Mocha,” Lom beamed. Retalia was sitting with his left side to us and he simply nodded.

“Well,” I said slapping my knee and stood up while Retalia looked to me quickly. “Time to get moving. You can graze while we go and since you don’t like my music I’ll just listen to it myself,” they both nodded in agreement.

I honestly thought Lom would at least like some of my tunes, but that’d be too hopeful. She said almost every song I played sounded like a hive of screaming bees. I still take some offence to that, even the classics like Mozart or Eddie Murphy were torn to shreds by her hearing.

Apparently my music didn’t translate either. It sounded almost the same but at a much, much higher frequency and the reverberations from it exiting the suit were making it inaudible to them. Oh well, more for me, was my thought on that subject.

I mean, their songs weren’t bad, but it was more of humming since they didn’t want to attract predators with chanting or singing. Pretty bland by my standards but they liked it enough to keep them occupied on the trip so far, so whatever.

Climbing into my suit again I looked at the map I’d been given. Still a bit of a way to go before the map cut off, give or take, but it was gonna be an interesting trip.

Two horses that were almost up to my neck in height, and a human in a robotic exosuit beginning an adventure, of sorts, into the wilds of an unknown land. Possibility of thousands of miles of nothing, death by any number of things, including starvation or predators.

A few miles past the treeline and we walked, face first, into a wall.