• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 1,305 Views, 77 Comments

The Legend of Spectrum Skies - ShadowStrike11



Spectrum Skies, daughter of Rainbow Dash and Soarin, just wants to become a Wonderbolt. That's all. But when things start to get quirky, how far will she go to ensure that she gets her wish?

  • ...
4
 77
 1,305

Chapter 1: It All Started With a Dream . . .

It All Started With a Dream

Cheers erupt as I fly into the stadium. There are thousands of ponies out there, all cheering for me. Every eye follows my every movement as I wave to the audience, flashing smiles at the cameras. I had never felt so excited in my life to be out here, dressed in my Wonderbolt attire, my flight goggles on and ready to go.

Why? Cause today is the day. The day of my first performance ever as a Wonderbolt. In less than a minute, I would be achieving my lifelong dream, flying alongside with my fellow teammates while the crowds roared with delight. I know I deserve it, for I have worked so hard for all my life to reach this goal. And I know my reward will be anything but small.

My heart beats faster as my teammates pull up beside me. I looked at each of them and grin. They grin back, ready to give it all they've got. Feeling much more confident, I turn to the pegasus on my left.

"You ready, Flare?" I ask, my voice brimming with determination.

Her creamy orange and blue mane shining in the sunlight, Flaring Mist responds with a smirk that could rival one of my mom's. "I was born ready!"

Okay. Here goes nothing, I thought as I get ready for the signal. I have worked hard for this all my life, and this is my chance to shine. And it had to be perfect. Screw up just the tiniest bit, and you're over.

3 . . .

I go over the whole routine at the speed of lightning in my mind.

2 . . .

Every little detail, every speck of it, has to be perfect, nothing less.

1 . . .

My heart feels like it's going to burst if I wait any longer . . .

GO!!!

KA-BAM!!!

I take off with a blast that echoes throughout the stadium. Waves of energy blast outwards, giving me a burst of speed. A grin spreads over my face as the roaring of the crowd reaches my ears.

A perfectly executed Sonic Blast-off, passed down from father to daughter. Success.

Now that phase one is complete, I concentrate on the task before me. Glancing to my left, I see my best friend, Flare, coming in to join me. We accelerate higher and higher, bursting through rings of clouds. Behind us are our teammates, Whirlwind and my brother, Prism Blitz. They follow my lead, their trails overlapping like colorful ribbons in the wind.

Come on, guys, I think as we near the stunts that require teamwork. We can do this.

Flare and I shoot through a column of clouds, each containing the props we need for our next stunt. I emerge with my hooves crackling with lightning, while Flare has her body enveloped in bright flames. The energy bounces all over my hooves and up my legs, begging to be released.

Whirlwind and Prism start flying in circles, creating a tunnel of wind. It's like a slow tornado, with just the right amount of wind to keep it from going wild. Prism paints the tunnel with his rainbow streak, while Whirlwind, the "whirlwind master", directs the tunnel to spiral down towards the stadium.

I allow myself to smirk for the briefest of seconds as I imagine the shocked looks on the faces of the audience. From where they're sitting, it might look like a catastrophe of storms. But here, we've got it all under control. I do the countdown in my head as Flare does the same in her head.

Three . . .

Two . . .

One . . .

"Woohoo!" I can't resist hollering out loud as Flare and I burst through the tunnel of wind. The torrents of air threatens to drag me down, but I fly strong and beat my wings hard. The lightning crackles all over me (I'm surprised my mane didn't wilt), it's energy at it's peak. I see a blinding flash of bright yellow and orange out of the corner of my eye. Flare is literally a living rocket at this point, I can tell.

Suddenly, we all burst out of the tunnel. All four of us, thrown in different directions like a firework. The lightning zaps off me as the force of the explosion carries it outwards, blinding the view of the audience. Wind, lightning, fire, and even some water from the clouds all combine to create the biggest shockwave Equestria has ever seen.

Once again, I apologize for any blindness, deafness, or heart damage caused by this show.

No refunds yet, cause we've still got a grand finale coming up.

The four of us shoot down towards the stadium, just barely skimming over the awestruck faces of the audience. I'm not sure which is louder, the noise from the explosion, or the cheers that greeted us as we descended to the ground.

I motion for my teammates to take their places quickly. Our grand finale required quite a bit of preparation, but I didn't want to keep the audience waiting. I gather up a herd of preheated clouds with my speed while my teammates take their places around the stadium. Once the clouds are ready to go, I direct them higher and higher until they rise above the stadium.

My teammates join me, coming in from different directions. We all mix in with the clouds, soon leaving contrails of white, orange, and stormy grey behind. I can feel waves of energy radiating outwards. Many thanks to those ponies who put some sort of "secret ingredient" in those clouds.

'Cause today, we are going to paint the sky with our symbol.

I start by flying in a zig-zag pattern. Stormclouds trail behind me, creating the image of a lightning bolt. I pull out of a dive and fly back up, creating an identical lightning bolt connecting at the bottom. Then, I finish by drawing a line that connected the two lightning bolts at the top.

There. A masterpiece of a lightning bolt created by artist Spectrum Skies. But that's not all . . .

Flaring Mist and Whirlwind fly outwards from the sides of the lightning bolt, spraying bits of cloud everywhere. Their clouds spread outwards like feathers extended from the base. Soon, my lightning bolt had an extension:

A masterpiece of a lightning bolt with two wings extending from it. But it wasn't quite finished yet . . .

Prism Blitz flew across the picture, showering sparks all over it. The symbol glowed with light, little sparks of lightning dancing all over it. He then joined us at the sides to admire the masterpiece we had put together.

It was the Wonderbolts' symbol.

Our symbol.

The lightning bolt with wings extending from the sides, showered in sparks of lightning, was our symbol. Memories of my team came rushing back to me as I stared at it, admiring the beauty of our work. It reminded me of all the hard work I've been through to become a Wonderbolt, to fly alongside my friends as the crowds cheered thunderously below. Years of determination, hours of pain, spent into this grand masterpiece, as well as many, many more to come.

Tears welled up in my eyes. I furiously blink them off. Now was not the time to get all sappy. We've still got a show to end and many autographs to sign.

Flare, Whirlwind, Prism, and I burst through the symbol at once, causing sparks to fly everywhere. We did several more loops and turns before descending down to the stadium. The cheering of the crowd could be heard across Equestria.

I had never felt so proud in all my life. Our first show, a success. Ponies cheering for me and my team. It was everything I've dreamed for. I could only conclude that it was a dream come -


"HEY SIS! WAKE UP!"

I leapt out of bed, landing in a pile on the floor. Groaning in pain and frustration, I shoved the blanket out of my face and stood up gingerly. Prism just HAD to wake me up like that. The next time I see him, he'd better be prepared.

What confused me more than why Prism had a voice was the dream. I'd been having that same dream for a week now. Every night, I'd disappear into the stadium and perform tricks with my friends. Every morning, I'd wake up and realize that it was all a dream. It's not that I'm annoyed by the dream, it's just. . . why did it seem so real?

Was the dream trying to tell me something? I know I still have a long way to go before I can even get the courage to fly in a stadium. But somehow, it felt so satisfying and epic at the same time, so unlike myself in the real world. I would've died of stage fright, let alone perform one of those extremely advanced tricks.

"NERDY SKIES! ARE YOU STILL BURIED IN BOOKS?" My brother's ear-shattering voice rang out again, breaking my thoughts to pieces. "I'M TELLING - "

"OKAY, OKAY!" I yelled back, stomping a hoof against the ground. "I'm coming, sheesh!"

Geez, what a tattler. It's not illegal to read, you know.

As I tried to walk out of my room, I caught a glimpse of myself in the large body-length mirror standing in the corner. The next second, I was beyond thankful for the fact that I didn't continue walking outside.

My hair was a mess. I know I don't own the neatest mane in Equestria, but this morning, it looked like it had been zapped by lightning ten times over. I remember a time where I was younger, when I accidently strayed too close to a thundercloud. Not only was it shockingly painful. My mane looked like a multicolored half destroyed birds nest, just as it looked right now.

I groaned and tried to straighten out my mane and tail with a brush. It was exceedingly painful, one of the only things I would allow tears for. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a million knots in there.

Many ponies say that my mane and tail are extremely rare. At first, I thought it was because of the multicolored-ish-ness (or something like that). But later, I realized something that set it apart from everypony else's.

My mane and my tail don't match.

(Dun, DUN, DUUUUN)

Sounds a little crazy, doesn't it? Well it is strange that I am the only pony so far who doesn't have a matching mane and tail. Even my mother's mane has a full rainbow in it, just like her tail. I, on the other hoof, have the red, orange, and yellow in my mane, and the green, blue, and purple in my tail, both coated with strands of my father's cobalt blue. It's kind of annoying that I have to fly a certain way in order to create a FULL rainbow contrail, instead of just green, blue, and purple.

Scratch that. VERY annoying.

After another minute of agony, I finally managed to put all my colors back in the right section. Tossing aside the brush, I stood up to admire my work. Unfortunately, I chose the completely wrong time to do so.

"HA! Caught you posing in front of the mirror again!"

I turned to see a pale blue colt with a full rainbow mane and tail standing in my doorway, wearing a very devious smirk. Great. More trouble. I shook my head and walked over.

"Prism, it wouldn't hurt to take care of your looks once in a while," I said, taking notice of his mane, which had bits of hair sticking out in various places.

"I don't need to take care of my looks!" he retorted, striking a(nother) ridiculous pose. "I look better than all the burning stallionly souls combined!

I rolled my eyes all the way and barely managed to walk past him without tripping. "I don't know what you've been learning from that Wonderbolt - was it Air Bag? Air Sack? - but all I know is that it's ridiculous."

"HEY! IT'S NOT RIDICULOUS!" He lunged at me, but I easily sidestepped the attack, causing him to crash facedown into the sturdy, cloud-coated floor. "Ha! I meant to do that!" he bragged, jumping back up on his hooves like nothing happened. "A true stallion needs to learn to take a few hits once in a while!"

"A true stallion has ten times your brains and twenty times your guts," I muttered as I unfurled my wings and slowly glided downstairs, hoping to avoid another commotion. I guess I got lucky, since I managed to make it downstairs without getting crashed into.

Or at least I thought so.

"HYAAAAH!"

I barely had any time to think before a large object crashed into me, knocking me all the way to the kitchen. I let out a yelp as the large object, also known as Prism Blitz, landed on top of me, nearly destroying all my oxygen supply. We skidded to a halt at a leg of the kitchen table in a pile of feathers, legs, and tufts of rainbow hair. Sigh. So much for straightening my mane and tail.

"Whoa, what happened here?"

Juuuust my luck.

I lifted my head to see mom staring down at us with a glare that could turn a cockatrice to stone. Dad came just a second after and stopped at the sight of our very deformed pile. Thankfully, an amused smile stretched across his face.

"Did you guys get in a fight again?" he asked while smiling and shaking his head.

I turned my head and glared daggers at Prism, before knocking him off me. He hit the ground with an 'oof' before leaping back up and pointing at me. "She started it!"

"Wha - No, I didn't!" I retorted back truthfully, unlike somepony. "I seem to recall you crashing into me at the bottom of the stairs!"

"You were the one posing in front of the mirror! You were lucky I walked in before you started putting make-up on!"

"First of all, what does that even have to do with you crashing into me? Second of all, I. Was. Not. Posing! And I don't use make-up, either."

"Then why did I find a pack of lipstick in your drawer?"

"That's a pack of glue sticks. I needed it for a project. And what in tarnation were you doing in my drawer?"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!"

We both flinched as mom's loud, scratchy voice cut through our argument. Prism opened his mouth to retort, but the look on mom's face told him otherwise. She sighed and walked over to us.

"Guys, this isn't the first time you've landed in a pile at the kitchen. I know I'm probably asking the impossible of you, but you both really need to start getting along. Got that?"

Prism crossed his arms and huffed. "Fine."

How stallionly of him.

I made a better impression by replying with a complete sentence. "I will try to get along with him with hopes that he will also try to get along with me," I replied very sincerely.

My dad chuckled at my impression. "Relax, Specky. Foals will be foals. I think your brother learned that the hard way, didn't he?"

Prism shot up as soon as he heard the word 'foals'. "I'm no foal! I'm the stallionest stallion alive! I'm handsome, gutsy, cool - "

"You know what? I'm going to breakfast," I announced, pushing past him and taking a seat at the table. "I don't know about you, Blitz, but I don't want to be late for school."

Suddenly, my parents stopped as though they were reminded of something. Furrowing his eyebrows, my dad turned to my mom while keeping an eye on me all the while. "Should we tell her, Dashie?"

My mom gave me a quick glance before replying. "I guess. I'm sure she wouldn't want to miss out on a chance like that."

Huh? What were they trying to tell me? There was obviously something going on that I should be knowing about. My ears perked up in curiosity. I slowly took a bite of pancake while awkward silence resumed. I knew it had to be something big, or why else would they be so hesitant?

Then, my mother spoke.

"Spectrum Skies, you have been accepted into the Cloudsdale Academy of Advanced Flight and Academics."

The Advanced Cloudsdale Academy. . . the most advanced flight school in Equestria next to the Wonderbolt Academy. . . where only the best of the best could go. . . where even some Wonderbolts have been known to graduate from. . .

"WHAT?!?"

Author's Note:

Note that the Cloudsdale Academy mentioned in this chapter is a separate school from the Wonderbolt Academy.

Just so you know, this is my first attempt at writing comedy. I'm not a very social or talkative person, so it was a bit hard for me to write this, even from Spectrum's point of view. The comedy tag is just for several crazy scenes. Trust me, I am not a comedian.

Still, you could help by commenting on what you like or what I could improve on. Thanks for reading!