• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 1,288 Views, 77 Comments

The Legend of Spectrum Skies - ShadowStrike11



Spectrum Skies, daughter of Rainbow Dash and Soarin, just wants to become a Wonderbolt. That's all. But when things start to get quirky, how far will she go to ensure that she gets her wish?

  • ...
4
 77
 1,288

Chapter 6: First Day Jitters

First Day Jitters

"Hello, you must be the three new students, Whirlwind, Flaring Mist, and Spectrum Skies, I presume?"

I looked up to see a very pale blue mare in the staff uniform making her way towards us. Her white hair with silver streaks through it was bundled up in a tight bun, giving her a very strict, professional look. Her expression, however, mirrored her voice, which was one of concern.

Of course, I wasn't surprised. I mean, you'd certainly be concerned if three ponies who were said to be new students suddenly show up in the doorway, late, with two of them clinging to one that looked no less insane than the other two combined. If I were allowed to use as much sarcasm as I wanted, I'd say that we made quite the good expression on the whole class.

Thankfully, at that moment, Flare decided to bravely speak up for our actions. "We are truly apologetic for barging into class tardy like that, especially on our first day, and we promise that we will try to make sure it will never happen again."

The mare raised an eyebrow, increasing our nerves by at least ten percent. "It's not common that new students make quite the impression on their first day, but since you so sincerely apologized," - her mouth curved up in a small smile - "we would like to welcome you and introduce you to your first class."

She led us to three vacant seats at the middle of the classroom. Flare filed in first and Whirlwind stayed behind me, leaving me no choice but to take the seat in the middle. As in the exact middle of the whole entire classroom, where everyone could no doubt have their eyes on me, with or without me knowing. My eyes darted around uncomfortably as I set my saddlebag next to my seat and waited.

"I am Professor Cloudy Cirrus, although I'd prefer that you address me by my last name, and I will be your history and economics teacher for this school year," the professor introduced herself. "Now why don't you tell us a little about yourselves?"

Flare took no time to hesitate. "I'm Flaring Mist, but my friends usually call me Flare."

I gulped as I realized that I was next in line. "I-I'm Spectrum Skies, and. . . ," I trailed off when I realized that I didn't really have anything else interesting to say. Trying to ignore the awkward silence in the room, I turned to Whirlwind, my last hope, with pleading eyes.

Whirlwind was inspecting a dent in his cloud desk, completely oblivious to what was going on around him. I gave him a quick jab in the gut, waking him with a start.

"Wha - Oh! Uh, I'm Whirlwind, the son of Fleetfoot and Cal - ," he caught himself RIGHT after he had just 'accidently' let it slip. But it was too late. Not even the strongest glares Flare and I gave him could repair the damage he had caused to our 'secret'.

"Oh, how could I have not recognized you three?" Professor Cirrus butted in, looking at us curiously. Murmurs spread throughout the room, and I even caught a few words such as 'children' and 'Wonderbolts'. If I could be an alicorn, now would be a good time to disappear before I got mobbed by a crowd of so-called fans.

Whirlwind fidgeted very uncomfortably, both under the attention the class was giving him and the glares from Flare and me. "Er, it's not really important. . . ," he tried to cover his mistake. And he failed.

Like we totally did not embarrass ourselves right there.

At that moment, Professor Cirrus grinned very widely and turned to address the whole class. "Well, it seems like we'll be having class with the daughters and son of actual Wonderbolts! Don't forget to give them a very warm welcome during your free time and show them how great the Academy is."

Then, thankfully, her tone became serious again and she moved over to the chalkboard to start class. "Now that we've gotten to know our three new students, we will continue our first unit, the history of Equestria and how it affects Cloudsdale today. It all started when Commander Hurricane, the leader of the pegasi, decided to attend the royal summit along with Princess Platinum and Chancellor Puddinghead, the leaders of the unicorn and Earth pony tribes. . . "

I whisked out my notebook from the jumbled depths of my saddlebags and hurried to jot down several notes as Professor Cirrus explained the history of Equestria. Flare sat straight and listened attentively, although she didn't take down any notes. Whirlwind, however, was having trouble concentrating like always. He kept on getting distracted by little things like. . . the wall, for instance.

I nudged my notebook over to him as he continued to stare at the 'amazing' wall. I always had to lend him my notebook every time he zoned off, so that he could catch up when he was at home. Really, I don't even know how that kid can learn anything if he can get distracted by something so simple as a wall.

And so, two of us spent the next hour listening to Professor Cirrus drone on about how the three leaders and their assistants managed to create Equestria from a bit more than scratch, while one of us continued to drowse in the fabulousness of the mighty wall.


"And that was how Equestria was first created! Any questions?"

I blinked my eyes open. The whiteness of the cloud-built classroom stung my eyes for a second, but I adjusted quickly. I shook my head out, trying to get rid of the dizziness that covered me as if I had just woken up from a nice long sleep. Cause who knows, maybe I actually HAD just woken up from a nice long -

Wait. Did I just fall asleep during a lesson? Now that didn't quite right. I mean, Spectrum Skies, semi-egghead and role model student, falling asleep during class? Heh, like that could ever happen. I do not simply fall asleep during class.

A light prodding at my side caught my attention. "Uh, Spectrum?" Flare retracted her hoof as I turned to her questionably. "You kind of. . . er, hibernated during class."

My eyes almost stretched beyond their limits in panic. "Wait, what?! You're saying I fell asleep during class?"

My fears were confirmed when Whirlwind heard my voice and turned to me with a false smile on his face. "Oh, howdy there! You're finally awake! Did you enjoy your nap?"

. . . SHAME ON ME.

I propped my elbow up on my desk and sunk my head into my hoof. "Yeah, it was totally worth it," I groaned while snapping back at him sarcastically.

"I must admit, that explanation was a tad too long," Flare commented while trying to stifle a yawn that escaped her mouth.

"A tad too long?" Whirlwind raised an eyebrow amusingly. "First of all, since when did you start using phrases like that? Second of all. . . ," he turned to me with noticeable dark circles under his eyes, which made me gulp in both fear and concern. "You now owe me ten sodas."

". . . Why do I owe you ten sodas?"

He groaned heavily and pushed something onto my desk. I took a closer look and gasped. It was my notebook. And it was filled with notes. I couldn't believe it. Out of all ponies, Whirlwind, the usual trouble-maker who always got distracted in class, had taken my notes for me while I, the usual role-model student who always paid attention in class until now, had literally snoozed off during my first class at the Academy. Wow. Just wow.

"Y-You actually did all of this? For me?" I stuttered, not daring to believe what I learned, despite the proof being laid out right in front of me.

Whirlwind tried to do his usual casual shrug, but the effect was killed by the noticeable signs of fatigue he was displaying. "It doesn't hurt to let you take a break for a while, seeing as how hard you usually study. Besides," he paused to yawn. "we can't let our best friend down. . . right. . . ?"

I just stared at the notebook. Sure, the notes were definitely messy and had 'Whirlwind' written all over it (not literally), but they were still notes. And seeing that my friend had torn his very own eyes away from the wall, just to take my notes for me while I slacked off, was more than equivalent to this year's Hearth's Warming Eve present.

I continued to stare at the notebook.

Three. . .

Two. . .

One. . .

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!"

To my horror, my body completely defied my mind as I leapt out of my seat and threw my arms around Whirlwind. I kept in that position for a moment, then frowned when Whirlwind showed completely no response. I was about to question him when another voice spoke up.

"Spectrum, Whirlwind, is there anything I need to repeat?"

I immediately let go of Whirlwind and leapt back into my seat, my face feeling as though it was on fire. "Er, everything's fine, Professor Cirrus. I was just thanking Whirlwind for. . . letting me borrow his pencil," I half-lied, glancing at the pencil that was returned with my notebook. The notebook may be mine, but that was Whirlwind's pencil, so you can't say I completely lied.

"Then you have a strange way of thanking him," Professor Cirrus commented in a serious, yet amused tone earning a few snickers from the students that made me cover my face with my hooves. Then, she turned to the class. "Alright, juniors, we will continue the lesson after break, where I will have an assignment ready for you. Class dismissed!"

The class dispersed, chattering and groaning as they stood up and exited out the door. Several of them stole a glance at us, partially because we were children of Wonderbolts, and also partially because of the little scene caused by me. If I could charge tickets that cost ten bits for every little scene I cause that I DON'T want noticed, I'd be very rich by now.

I turned back to Whirlwind, a snort escaping my mouth as soon as I laid my eyes on him. His head was slumped across his desk, his eyes were closed, and his mouth was slightly agape with a small pool of drool forming underneath. I snickered as a light snore escaped his mouth. Well, I guess now he knows how it's like for me every time I take notes for him.

I turned over to Flare. "Hey, Flare, can you help me get this lump - ," I broke off in surprise.

Flaring Mist was also asleep, only that her head was resting on a. . . pillow, which seemed to come out of nowhere. I flattened my brow. So apparently I was the only one still awake. Well, serves me right for being the only one to fall asleep during class. I sighed and reclined back into my seat. Then, my eyes settled on Professor Cirrus, who was scribbling something on her teacher's desk.

"Professor?" I asked through the silence of the room.

"Yes, Spectrum?"

"Do you mind if we stay here for break?"

"Not at all. I've had plenty of students stay back for break, and I don't see anything wrong with it," the professor answered without even looking up.

I fell silent for a moment as awkward silence resumed. Then, Whirlwind let out another series of light snores, increasing the awkwardness by some. I desperately racked my brains for something good to say, when a question suddenly fell into my head.

"Professor Cirrus, you said that there going to be an assignment."

"Mm-hm."

"Can you tell us what it's about?"

Professor Cirrus looked up from her desk for the first time. "I'd usually prefer not to tell students ahead of time, but since it's your first day, I'll give you a head start to brainstorm ideas. You are going to create a poster sized comic strip on what we just learned."

"When is it due?" I blurted out before I could stop myself.

"On Wednesday."

My mind seemed to generate more questions than my mouth can deliver these days. "Wait, don't we have class tomorrow?"

Professor Cirrus suddenly stood up, as though she had just been reminded of something. "The vice-principal hasn't given you your schedules yet? I thought he had explained it all."

"Er, he said that it will be explained during class," I answered in an uncharacteristically small voice, trying to sound as innocent as possible.

The professor sighed and took out three folders. "That young colt can be a little tricky at times," she growled as she glided over to our desks with the folders. She stole an amused glance at Whirlwind and Flare, who were both still asleep, then placed the folders at my hooves. "Each of these contain your schedules, which you will follow throughout the year."

I opened a folder to take a look at the schedule when I realized what Professor Cirrus had just said. "Young colt? What do you mean by that? If you don't mind me asking," I added, just for safety.

"Believe it or not, Vice-Principal Splashing Flames is the youngest staff member at our school. Why, he just graduated from the Academy as the top student, only a few years ago," Professor Cirrus chuckled, recalling the memory. "The whole school was betting on whether he'd make it, when he filled in the application to replace Principal Stormcloud, who had just been promoted from vice-principal to principal."

"So what happened?" I leaned forward with interest, eager to hear the rest.

"Let's just say that the majority of the students provided quite a filling donation to our school."

I let out a light laugh. "He seemed like a pretty cool guy. I mean, he's not very strict, but he can still keep things under control."

"Yes, that is a very special talent indeed," Professor Cirrus agreed with a smile. "Now you can wake your friends or look over your schedule, because I've got some work to do."

Typical me, always pestering the teachers until they got sick of it. I shrugged and looked over my schedule. Monday was sorted as a 'classroom day'. Looking at the key, I assumed that we were most likely going to be staying in the building today, stuck with history and economics, and later, elemental studies. I looked back at the schedule and saw that Tuesday (tomorrow) was a gym and track day. It didn't take long to guess that we were going to be spending all of tomorrow working ourselves out in the gym and tripping over each other on the flight track.

Wednesday, however, looked different. Instead of just 'classroom day', or 'gym and track day', it merely said 'all courses'. I looked back at the key and saw that it did indeed include all courses. My eyes wandered over to the daily schedule that was placed right on the next page, hoping that it might clear things up a little more.

DAILY SCHEDULE
8:30 - Start of school
10:15 to 10:45 - 1st break
12:30 to 1:15 - Lunch
3:15 to 3:45 - 2nd break
5:30 - End of school

So I guess that did clear things up, didn't it?

I looked at the rest of the week. Thursday was a 'classroom day', and Friday was a 'gym and track day'. I looked down at the rest of the month and saw that it followed the same pattern; Mondays and Thursdays were 'classroom days', Tuesdays and Fridays were 'gym and track days', and Wednesdays were 'all courses' days. I guess that explained why the new assignment was to be due on Wednesday.

I glanced over at the clock and saw that it read 10:30. Fifteen minutes passed and fifteen more to go. I guess it wouldn't hurt to start brainstorming ideas. But here's the joke: apparently, it's not possible to brain ideas, and therefore, it's not possible to storm ideas, either.

So, long story short, I spent the next fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to brain and storm ideas at the same time.


"Alright, class, welcome back to history and economics. During this session, I will be assigning you a new assignment, which you will start and work on for the next hour and forty-five minutes."

Professor Cirrus' voices rang out loud and clear and echoed throughout the classroom. I jerked my head up to see the rest of the class starting to file into their seats. Glancing to both sides, I saw that Flare and Whirlwind were still asleep. Oh joy. Seems like I get the honor of waking them up.

I prodded Whirlwind in the ribs. He let out a particularly loud snort but didn't wake up. I frowned, then raised my hoof up. . . and brought it down across his face. He awoke with a start. "Mom. . . ?"

I groaned and smacked my hoof over my own face. "Class is starting, doofus."

"Oh. . . ," he muttered with a dreamy smile. I don't even want to know what he dreams about.

Shaking my head slowly, I turned to Flare. I flattened my brow so that the slope was exactly at zero (yes, I do algebra), when I saw that she was still asleep. Not wanting to wake her like I woke Whirlwind, I gently tapped her shoulder. She stirred a little but didn't wake up. I sighed, then reached to tap her sensitive spots on the tip of her wing. And I immediately regretted it.

Fwoomp! Her wing shot out with no warning whatsoever, almost knocking me clean off my seat. I quickly grabbed the desk before I could hit the ground. I would've cursed myself first for forgetting that Flare has extremely sensitive wing tips, but I guess saving myself from breaking my head on the ground comes in top priority at the moment.

"Oh! Are you alright?" I looked over to see Flare staring at me with wide eyes, both of her hooves over her mouth. I immediately felt sorry for her. After all, it's her parent's, mostly her mom's fault that she has sensitive wing tips, not hers.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I reassured her, messaging the spot on my forehead, where her wing had smacked me. Well, that's gonna leave a mark. I didn't dare linger on the subject any longer as Professor Cirrus came by our desks and gave us each a large, poster-sized piece of paper.

"Your assignment is to create a comic strip on how the three leaders formed Equestria. You may use colored pencils, crayons, markers, paint, anything as long as it doesn't appear messy. Your final work will be graded on the accuracy of the information, and how much effort you put in. Any questions?"

Nopony dared to raise their hoof.

"Okay, good. You have the rest of class to work. Whatever you do not finish is homework, which will be due by Wednesday. Start working!"

There was a lot of shuffling as the students hurried to get to work. I dug into my saddlebags and pulled out an eraser, a pack of colored pencils, and a box of markers. Using a pencil, I divided the poster into eight boxes. Just then, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Yes, Whirlwind?" I answered without even looking up.

"Could I borrow some supplies?"

"Surrrre. . . ," I sighed, pushing the supplies a little closer to him. He answered with a 'Thanks.', and simply grabbed the markers off my desk. I raised an eyebrow at him, wondering why he would use markers before drawing the outline with pencil. I'm no artist, but even I could tell he was going to regret this.

Five seconds later. . .

"Aw, ponyfeathers! Spectrum, did you bring any white-out?"

Author's Note:

Well, I can't believe I actually forgot to write this author's notes when I published this chapter. But anyway, here it is. The ultimate FleetWind shipping, something like that. Hopefully this was a good time to reveal that piece of information. If it wasn't, you can blame Whirlwind, not me.