• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 1,304 Views, 77 Comments

The Legend of Spectrum Skies - ShadowStrike11



Spectrum Skies, daughter of Rainbow Dash and Soarin, just wants to become a Wonderbolt. That's all. But when things start to get quirky, how far will she go to ensure that she gets her wish?

  • ...
4
 77
 1,304

Chapter 3: Congratulations to Us

Congratulations to Us

Oh my gosh.

I just did another Sonic Rainboom to save my reading glasses.

Again.

I tumbled into a heap on the cloudy school grounds, breathing hard. I still couldn't believe what had just happened. It was an exact replay of when I had earned my cutie mark - I saw my glasses falling so I flew to save them and did a Sonic Rainboom in the process. Amazing? Yes. Exciting? Yes. Worth it? To me, yeah. Exhausting?

Unfortunately, yes. Very exhausting. Thankfully, this wasn't my first time, so I didn't black out first thing. But that still didn't change the fact that I was lying on the cloud, my reading glasses slipping out of my hooves, my tattered saddlebag several feet away from me, and my wings aching like CRAZY. I tried to stand up on my hooves, but I barely had any energy left.

I breathed out into a long sigh. I didn't even need to open my eyes. The soft platter of hooves on clouds coming near me was significant enough. I knew it wouldn't be long before I attracted a crowd. In this case, some privacy would be good. But when you show up half-dead on the school clouds after performing a Sonic Rainboom (for a reason yet unknown to public), privacy is the LAST thing you're going to get.

"Is there anything you would care to explain, Ms. Skies?"

Oh no. My eyes fluttered open. I knew that voice. It was the voice of Principal Weatherwing, the principal of the school. Apparently, she is VERY strict on tardies and discipline. And I know that whenever she uses that tone, it means my luck has run out.

I glanced around, trying to hide the embarrassment on my face. It looked like half the school had gathered outside to see me get chastised. Everyone knows that I'm supposed to be a model student, and here I am, late to classs, lying on the cloud in heap of a mess. I was starting to doubt if saving my glasses really was a good idea.

"Well?"

I looked up and slowly got to my hooves. My body was aching all over, and I wasn't in a hurry to use up the energy that had just started to return. Trying to ignore the chatter that spread through the crowd, I answered in the politest way I could.

"Principal Weatherwing, I am truly sorry if I disrupted class in any way. I wasn't keeping track of the time, and when I discovered that I was going to be late for class, I rushed and dropped my, uh, glasses along the way," I explained, looking down at the battered glasses at my hooves. "Then, I flew after them and. . . did a Sonic Rainboom along the way. . ."

Weatherwing failed to catch my last words. "What was that last part?"

I squared my shoulders and took a deep breath, bracing myself for what was coming next. "I did a Sonic Rainboom to save my reading glasses."

The principal gazed at me suspiciously, like as though she was trying to look through to my soul. And when she gives me that look, I have to do all I can to try not to wither. After a few scrutinizing moments, her face suddenly lit up with a smile.

"A Sonic Rainboom!" she exclaimed with pride. "A legendary Sonic Rainboom! You are indeed a daughter of Wonderbolts, Ms. Skies! And how glorious of you to perform your signature move for us! You must really be the performing type, am I right?"

I fought back a particularly loud groan that made it's way from my throat. Great. She just had to bring that up. "Actually, I did it to save my reading gla - "

"Let's give a round of applause for Spectrum Skies, for her fabulous performance of a Sonic Rainboom!" Principal Weatherwing cheered, beaming with pride.

Sigh. Here we go again.

I plastered a fake smile on my face as everypony started showering me with compliments, some giving me encouraging pats on the back. Having no other choice, I accepted all the attention with gratitude and thanks. I know Prism would've loved to be in my place at that time, unlike me, the grump who hated getting too much attention. I was ever so thankful when Principal Weatherwing finally cleared the crowd and herded the students back to the school.

I was slightly surprised, and grateful at the same time, that she didn't chew me out for being late to school. But of course, it's not every day that you get to see a Sonic Rainboom performed by a student from your very own school. Besides, from what I've learned, Sonic Rainbooms have a tendency to increase your happiness by twenty-five to fourty percent, depending on what type of pony you were.

"Hey! Hey, Spectrum!"

A VERY familiar voice greeted my ears. I whipped around to see two ponies gliding towards me. The one who had called was a turquoise pegasus colt with brown-highlighted teal mane and tail. The other one was a pegasus filly with a cream-colored coat and flaming orange mane and tail with electric blue streaks running through them.

My heart instantly lit up at the sight of them. "Sup Whirlwind! Hey Flare!" I called back, waving at them.

Whirlwind flew around me once before getting all up in my face. "Dude, did you actually do a Sonic Rainboom JUST to save your glasses?!?"

"Er. . . yeah, you could put it that way," I could almost give myself a pat on the back for my umpteenth display of pure honesty that day.

Flare landed before me and addressed me a little more formally. "I must say, I am very impressed with your performance," she complimented me, before an amused smirk made its way to her mouth. "But seriously, by how you treat your glasses, I wouldn't be surprised if you suddenly proposed to them."

"In. Your. Dreams," I replied with a deadpan expression as I continued to try to put what was left of my poor glasses into my saddlebag without breaking them completely.

"Hey, you guys mind hurrying up?" Whirlwind called back to us from several yards ahead. "We're going to be late for the ceremony."

"Ceremony? Why am I always the one who never gets to know anything?" I half-pouted as I caught up to Whirlwind.

"Maybe it's because you spend too much of your time buried in books and study," Flare answered casually, gliding alongside me. "There's going to be a ceremony dedicated to us and how we exceeded the expectations for our grade level, and are therefore, permitted to rise to the Cloudsdale Academy of Advanced Flight and Academics. Then, the principal of our new school will come and take us to see our new school, where we will spend the first day touring and learning about schedules and how the academy works."

Leave it to Flare to make a grand one-hour speech about the origins of vocabulary.

"So are we the only ones from this school who are getting promoted?" I asked.

Whirlwind scratched the back of his head, thinking. "Looks like it. I mean, we are the best fliers at this school, AND related to Wonderbolts."

"I don't think the 'related to Wonderbolts' part matters," I answered with a hint of annoyance. "We got in because the staff at the academy recognizes us for our hard work and skill, not because of our parents."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Whirlwind responded mindlessly.

I couldn't blame him for that. Whirlwind, Flare, and I had known each other since we were young foals. This was partially thanks to our parents who had endured many epic adventures together, and didn't hesitate to introduce us to each other once we were old enough. But this was also partially thanks to Prism, whom I had to drag away while apologizing to Whirlwind and Flare, then managing to strike up a conversation and become friends with them.

Whirlwind has a very strange personality. In fact, he actually had two personalities that never seemed to clash. While he was alone with his friends, which would be Flare and me, he was talkative, mischievous, and a bit silly, just like mother. But when we was in public with ponies he didn't know, he turns shy and quiet, like his father. I sometimes wonder if he even is the same pony all the time.

Flaring Mist, or Flare as I prefer to call her, is a reincarnation of her parents. No, her parents are not dead, I am merely saying that her personality is nearly identical to that of her parents. She is kind, polite, and overall IMPOSSIBLE to hate. . . although she does have a rather mischievous side to her that arises occasionally when the three of us are together. She does have a tendency to answer formally - I'm guessing she got that from her father - but she is better at carrying out a conversation than me, which I have to bow down to her for.

I sometimes wonder how in Equestria she grew up with a mother who can't hear anything she says, AND has the ability to use complete sentences and big words in her speech. She told me that she learned sign language at a very young age, enabling her to communicate with her mother. Her father, however, helped her improve verbal speech, which explains why she is our group's walking dictionary. Kind of strange to me, but she really is a miracle sometimes.

I thought back to some good times I've had with my friends. At first, we were skeptical of each other, but as time went by, we soon became like the inseparable trio. I was beyond grateful for them, since I didn't have any other friends at school. They were the ones who loosened me up when I was stressed out and kept me from becoming the pathetic, eggheaded loner I would have become if it weren't for them. Besides that, I had to admit that we had great teamwork skills and got along with each other pretty well -

"If you're zoning out again, Spectrum, can I please smack you on the head?"

- most of the time.

"No, Whirlwind, you may NOT smack me on the head," I glowered at him while Flare giggled at us.

"Aww. . . ," Whirlwind tried to put on sad puppy eyes and failed.

"I hate to break up your rather romantic affair, but we've arrived at our destination," Flare announced rather loudly, earning a few snickers from students passing by, as well as a glare from me. I wonder how many more evil smirks she could be hiding underneath that sweet, innocent smile.

Though she was right about one thing. We HAD arrived at the auditorium, where most announcements were held. Hundreds of students had arrived before us and were already gathered there. We tried to weave our way through the crowd without getting too many injuries. Fortunately, I only got tripped once and caught myself before I landed on my face. It would really ruin my impression as a new graduate if I landed on my face, right?

A loud tap coming from the stage caught our attention. We craned our necks, trying to see above the crowd. It wasn't long before the clear voice of Principal Weatherwing rang through the auditorium.

"Welcome, students and staff. We are gathered here today to honor three students who have shown excellence in academics and skill. I suppose you have all heard of the Cloudsdale Academy of Advanced Flight and Academics, and the three students the staff has been looking for over the past few months. Well, the principal of the Academy has finally made a final decision. It is my pleasure to announce the three honor students. . . ,"

Here it comes.

". . . Whirlwind, Flaring Mist, and Spectrum Skies! In an hour, they will be leaving Cloudsdale High to proceed to the Cloudsdale Academy of Advanced Flight and Academics, the most advanced flight school in Cloudsdale, where they will pick up where they left off at our school, and continue their journey to success. Now, may the three chosen students make their way to the stage to receive their recognition?"

"Wait," Whirlwind whispered to us. "How are we supposed to make our way through this crowd?" He motioned to the line of ponies in front of us for emphasis.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes a full three hundred sixty degrees. "We can fly, you know."

Whirlwind grinned sheepishly. "Oh. Right."

"Believe it or not, I feel like putting on a nice airshow for them," Flare spoke up surprisingly. "What do you say we do arrow formation?"

I leapt into the air, putting more distance between myself and the students below, and unfurled my wings. Flare and Whirlwind followed right behind me in arrow formation, Whirlwind on the left and Flare on the right. Don't ask me how I learned that. I've been allowed to watch my parents and the other 'Bolts practice when I'm on vacation, and that's the same with Flare and Whirlwind. Most ponies aren't supposed to learn the formations until they've actually made it through the tryouts, but that's one of the perks of having Wonderbolts as your parents.

I don't think any of our parents know this yet, but we've been secretly practicing traditional Wonderbolt formations and stunts when we've had the chance. And I'm not willing to let them know anytime soon, because if three-fourths of my family knows, then the last fourth, also known as Prismatic Blitz, will also find a way to know, and that will just ruin everything.

Anyway, as we landed on the stage next to the principal, a few cheers rang out. I glanced at Flare who winked back. You can't blame her for always knowing how to make a good impression. Our attention was then given to Principal Weatherwing, who had turned to address us.

"Congratulations, you three. You have worked hard to prove yourselves worthy of attending the Academy, and we wish you best of luck for your time in your new school. Now we shall proceed to the individual recognitions."

Then, the principal turned to Whirlwind, holding a certificate in one wing and a medal in another. "Whirlwind, both Cloudsdale High and the Academy recognizes you for your speed and strength, as well as your ability to cooperate with your team. We hereby permit you to advance to the Academy to continue your studies."

With a smile, she presented the certificate and the medal to the excited looking colt, who took them without hesitation. I could almost swear I saw him mouth 'shiiiiiny' as he observed the medal with great interest.

Next, she turned to Flare, holding another certificate and a medal. Flare's eyes lit up in anticipation, but she managed to keep a calm and professional posture. "Flaring Mist, both Cloudsdale High and the Academy likewise recognize you for your aerobatic skills, as well as your charisma and your ability to communicate thoroughly. We hereby permit you to advance to the Academy to continue your studies."

Flare stepped forward to receive her award, somehow also creating a speech in the process. "Thank you, Principal Weatherwing. I am honored to have been a student at Cloudsdale High, and I am anticipating that my time at the Academy will be just as prodigious. I would like to thank you for the encouragement that led me to this prestige, for I without it, I would not be standing here on this stage receiving such recognition. Once again, I am much obliged."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Whirlwind mouth 'show-off' to Flare, who waited until the principal had turned away. . . then stuck her tongue out at him. Yep, that's the secret side of Flaring Mist. I was so busy trying not to crack up right on the spot that I almost missed my own recognition.

"And lastly, Spectrum Skies, both Cloudsdale High and the Academy recognize you for your many flight and aerobatic skills, as well as your intelligence, hard work, and determination, not to mention the stupendous Sonic Rainboom you pulled off earlier. Of course, this doesn't mean you get a free tardy off," she added with a hint of amusement as ripple of light laughter spread throughout the auditorium.

Oh well. There goes my grade.

"Nonetheless, we hereby permit you to advance to the Academy to continue your studies," she concluded with a kind smile. I stepped forward to receive my award with much gratitude.

"Thank you, Principal Weatherwing," I added just to be polite, NOT to begin a long speech. Behind me, Flare flashed me an indignant expression, which I returned with a smirk. Yeah, take that, Flare.

"Let us hear another round of applause for these three talented young ponies!" Principal Weatherwing called to the crowd, which clapped and stomped their hooves in return. I couldn't fight back a small smile that crept its way to my face as I heard the ponies calling out encouragement and compliments. Maybe fame isn't so bad after a -

Wait. I cannot think that that. No, I must stay humble, and I will stay humble no matter how much I want to jump into the crowd and toss out signed autographs. I was the only pony in my family with a speck of humbleness in my blood, and that is too precious to lose. And I don't brag about my humbleness either, I just happen to be an extremely humble pony who leads a humble life in a not-so-humble world.

But again, it didn't hurt to leave the smile on my face as Flare, Whirlwind, and I walked off the stage in a rather orderly fashion. We stood at the side of the stage while the principal continued her speech for another minute, before finally bringing it to a conclusion.

"So as you go back to your own classes, keep in mind that the Academy is always looking for the best fliers that push through every obstacle that comes at them. Maybe one day, some of you will also be able to join these three, so never give up!"

With that, the students all parted to their homeroom classes. Well, all except for the three of us. Several students came by to congratulate us before being herded away by their teachers. One even tried to sweet-talk Flare into persuading the principal into letting him join, but Flare very politely turned him down. So, we waited there for our fates, unsure of what pleasant horrors we would have to face next.

Okay, maybe not 'pleasant horrors', but you can never be too sure of what's gonna hit you next.

And I mean LITERALLY hit you next. As in 'I barely had enough time to react before a turquoise hoof came right across my right foreleg, leaving a stinging mark'. I turned and scowled at Whirlwind, who surprisingly wasn't smirking this time. I looked over to where he was facing and my questions were answered.

Coming towards us were two ponies, both clad in dark blue uniform. One was a middle-aged mare with a grey coat and short dark blue mane, who wore a stern expression. The other one was a younger stallion with a light sapphire coat and dark blue mane with light orange highlights. Unlike the mare, he wore a friendly, welcoming smile as he waved at us.

I gulped. Just loudly enough for Flare to shoot me concerned glance. I didn't even need to ask to know that this was the principal and the vice-principal of the Academy. Which meant that I had to make a perfect first impression, nothing less. Unfortunately, nothing could help sooth my nerves as the mare walked up to us, still wearing the stern glare.

I sighed inwardly, knowing that first impressions were out of question.

This was going to be a tough experience.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed that one! Now that I've introduced Flare and Whirlwind, you can probably guess who their parents are (although I think I might have mentioned that in the last chapter already). Hint: they are both couples from PtH. Does that make it any more obvious? xD