• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 1,302 Views, 77 Comments

The Legend of Spectrum Skies - ShadowStrike11



Spectrum Skies, daughter of Rainbow Dash and Soarin, just wants to become a Wonderbolt. That's all. But when things start to get quirky, how far will she go to ensure that she gets her wish?

  • ...
4
 77
 1,302

Chapter 2: The Obvious Connection Between Reading Glasses and Sonic Rainbooms

The Obvious Connection Between Reading Glasses and Sonic Rainbooms

"Wait, you mean THE Cloudsdale Academy? The most advanced flight school in Equestria?"

"Yep, that's the one," my dad answered casually, obviously expecting my reaction.

I slumped my hooves down on the table, unwilling to believe what I was hearing. The Cloudsdale Academy of Advanced Flight and Academics was only for the best of the best. Most pegasi never even heard of it unless they got accepted. How did I, a regular, everyday pegasus, get accepted into a school for the best?

"B-But what did I do to deserve this? I mean, I'm just an average Pegasus with average flying sk - " I didn't get a chance to finish voicing my thoughts.

"Spectrum, you are anything BUT average," my mother cut in.

Wait, if I'm anything BUT average - "Does that mean I'm BELOW average?" I finished my thoughts for myself.

My mother facehoofed, completely losing her demeanor. "No, Spectrum. You are ABOVE average. There's a reason why you made it into the Cloudsdale Academy. They only take the best of the best. It's not something you take for granted. You have to actually earn your spot there."

I looked down at my hooves, still lost in thought. "But the thing is, what exactly did I do to earn my spot there?"

At this point, my dad decided to interfere.

"Specky, do you still remember the day you got your cutie mark?"

My eyes widen at the mention of my cutie mark. It's been a long time since that subject has been brought up. Of course, that's mostly because I try my best to avoid it. Why would I try to avoid the subject of my cutie mark, when I should be proud of it?

Because I don't feel like I deserve it. Weird, right?

My eyes travel down to my cutie mark. It is a picture of a wide rainbow streak with white energy crackling around it. Something any other pegasus would do anything for. But not me. I had always expected my cutie mark to come in the form of books or some of that nerdy, egghead stuff, as they call it. I hadn't expected a vibrant rainbow-themed cutie mark that had something to do with flight.

Instinctively, my mind wandered back to the day I got my cutie mark. . .


It was just another ordinary day. Or at least that's what it looked like. The sun was shining, the clouds were white and puffy, the birds were chirping - yeah, just like that. Maybe I study too much poetry.

ANYWAY, I shoved the last of my books in my saddlebags and got up. I had just done studying the banishment and return of Nightmare Moon and how the Elements of Harmony defeated her and brought back Princess Luna. It was strange and exciting at the same time to see my mom's name mentioned in the book as one of the Elements. I would have considered myself very lucky to be the daughter of such a famous hero. . . if it weren't for the stares I got everywhere I go.

I was about to take off my reading glasses - yes, I am a semi-nerd so it's okay for me to wear reading glasses - when I noticed the clock. It read 7:58. Something wasn't right there. Since when did time pass by so quickly? School was supposed to start at 8:00, so. . .

"NO! I'M GONNA BE LATE!" I shrieked as I realized how dire my situation was. I had less than two minutes to get to school. And I had never gotten a tardy in all my life, so let's not break that tradition. This means I had to fly fast.

I shot downstairs, calling a quick goodbye to mom and dad, who just stared at me in confusion. Then, I whisked right past Prism, who was just heading out the door. I didn't even bother to stop as I heard him yelling something in the distance.

I dodged cloud after cloud, knowing that each second was precious. Every strong flap of my wings brought me closer and closer to my destination. Time was ticking by constantly, my grades were hanging on the edge.

That was when I noticed that something was missing.

I hadn't taken my reading glasses off before heading out the door. But they were currently not on my face either. With me flying at this speed it could only mean one thing. . .

I made a sudden swerve in my flight and looked back. Sure enough, there were a pair of gleaming glasses in the distance, gradually falling to the ground. My heart started racing like crazy again. My reading glasses were one of my most prized possessions. If I were to leave them behind, I would never forgive myself.

But did I have time to go back and get them? It was only a matter of seconds before the bell rang. Even if I continued flying, there might still be a chance that I would be late for school. My mind was turning like a turbulence.

School. . .

Glasses. . .

School. . .

Glasses. . .

"You know what?" I ripped off my saddlebags and threw them onto a nearby cloud. "Screw school. If I'm going to be late anyway, might as well get something out of it."

With that said, I took off after my falling glasses like a bullet.

I fought the wind, flapping my wings as hard as I could. I was heading towards the ground, trying to keep at an angle that intercepted my glasses. Clouds burst as I whizzed though, for I was not going to let anything get in my way. Not this time.

An air cone was starting to form at my hooves. Pressure was building up against me like a volcano ready to burst. As mush as it strained my muscles, I pushed on, never backing down.

My reading glasses were nearing the ground. The hard, concrete ground loomed before them, ready to shatter them to pieces. No, I could not let it happen. Not to my reading glasses. . .

The air cone enveloped my entire body. I could no longer hear anything. All I could see was my hooves outstretched in front of me, and my reading glasses just in my line of sight. My teeth were gritting together, tears flying from my eyes. But no, I couldn't give up, not for my precious reading glasses.

Come on, I urged myself forward. Must. . . get. . . glasses. . .

Energy crackled around the cone.

No. . . not my reading glasses. . .

The pressure was getting unbearable, threatening to rip my feathers off.

Never fear, my reading glasses, I will. . . save. . . you. . .

Just as I thought I was going to snap. . .

KA-BOOM!!!

I had broken the sound barrier.

I had done the legendary sonic rainboom.

Waves of vibrant, colorful energy erupted around me as I pulled up with my reading glasses safe in my hooves. I shot straight up into the air, faster than ever thanks to the release of pressure. I allowed myself a glance behind me - to my satisfaction, there was a solid, full rainbow trail extending behind me.

I couldn't believe it. I had done what only my mother had been able to achieve. The legendary Sonic Rainboom.

All thanks to my reading glasses.

I pulled up on a cloud, panting. Immediately, I was surrounded by hundreds of reporters, all willing to get my attention. Some of my friends were there, too. I recognized Flare and Whirlwind, both staring at me with awestruck expressions on their faces. Then, Flare pointed at my flank and mouthed the word 'cutie mark'. I looked over and sure enough, there was a rainbow air cone with energy crackling around it.

A Sonic Rainboom, AND a cutie mark. Best. Day. EVER.

Well, besides the fact that I got my first tardy today.

I tried to stand up, but my energy failed me. The last thing I saw before the darkness engulfed me was my reading glasses. Bent, cracked, and broken, but still safe in my hooves.

"Thank you. . . reading glasses. . . "


"Hello? Equestria to Specky!"

"Ah - Yeah?" I snapped out of my thoughts and into the present world.

My dad's face loomed before my slightly blurred vision. "Yeah. . . you kinda zoned out there."

"Yeah, I know," I replied forlornly, swallowing a bite of breakfast, the image of my poor broken reading glasses still fresh in my mind. "I was just mourning my reading glasses."

"Nah, save that for later," my mom attempted to get us back on track. "I was talking about the Sonic Rainboom. I mean, how many other ponies would be willing to do a Sonic Rainboom just to save a pair of reading glasses?"

Well, that doesn't make me any less upset that my efforts still resulted in broken glasses. But I guess she was right. "Not that I know of," I muttered.

"See?" my father agreed. "It's your determination that counts. You're the type that would go for extreme measures no matter how small the issue. That's what the Academy was looking for."

"Huh," I went over what my parents had just told me. Maybe I did earn my place at the academy. I have always been quite the perfectionist, only I didn't realize I had taken such measures for every little detail to be perfect.

"Although," my mom countered. "We would have preferred that you rescued a pair of shades, instead of reading glasses."

"What?!" My eye twitched. "You saying I'm not cool enough?"

My parents laughed. "No, Spectrum, we were just joking," my mom chuckled. "You are cool in your own way. But you really need to relax and take a joke sometimes."

I nervously rubbed the back of my head and chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you're right." Then, I sighed. The usual sigh. "I'm just a little nervous about going to this new school and all. You know how much I hate being the new kid."

"A little nervous?" my dad raised an eyebrow unbelievingly.

I groaned. "Fine. A lot nervous."

Mom chuckled. "Don't worry. I heard from Fleetfoot that Whirlwind is also coming, and Fire Streak told me that Flaring Mist also got accepted. You won't be the only new kid there."

I almost leapt out of my seat in joy and surprise. Scratch that. I DID leap out of my seat in joy and surprise, smack my head on the ceiling, and splat into a pony pancake on the floor (not literally or that would be just creepy).

"Flare and Whirlwind are coming?" I gasped, so unlike myself. "This is better than I expected!" Well, that's one good thing. At least I don't need to spend the first days stumbling into the wrong classrooms. Then, another question popped into my mind.

"Wait, when did you find out about this?" I inquired, curious to know why they were telling me this now.

My parents glanced at each other uncomfortably. "Er, last night, after you where asleep," my dad replied a little hesitantly, unsure of how I'd take this. Well, too bad for him.

"What?! You just recently received the news? What type of academy sends an important notice at the last minute?" I scowled, not approving of the time they chose to send this.

"I know, right?" my mom agreed. "I'm totally with you on that. But turns out, there was a little competition for the spot, and they took a loooong time before deciding on you."

My ears drooped down. "So I just barely made the cut." Well, it was at least nice to know that I didn't get things just 'cause I had awesome parents. But while I was grateful for that, I couldn't help feeling disappointed in myself. My parents would have taken the top spot if they were in my place.

"Oh, come ON, Spectrum," my mother cried out loud in exasperation. "You were one of the youngest to get in that school. Most of the other kids probably had years more experience than you, but you have a chance of beating them. Isn't that something to be proud of?"

"Hey, I like being humble," I answered truthfully. Both my parents facehoofed. Apparently humbleness does NOT run in the family bloodline.

"Sometimes, pride can be used to your advantage," my father answered. "Just as long as you don't get too proud."

"Yeah, unlike somepony," I added, shooting a glare at Prism. Then, I recoiled with shock.

Prism wasn't there.

Just then, I realized something I should have realized a long time ago. Prism hadn't said a word this whole time. Since it's impossible for him to keep his mouth shut for more than ten seconds, he must have left a long time ago. If he had left a long time ago, then school must have already started. If school must have already started. . .

"What time does my new school start at?!?" I demanded, jumping up into a stance.

My parents flinched at my sudden outburst. "It starts a little later at 8:30," my dad answered calmly. "Don't worry, you still have ti - Whoa!"

I followed my dad's gaze to the clock. It read 8:28. I am so screwed.

"NO! I'M GONNA BE LATE!" I crammed one last bite into my mouth, not even bothering to chew with my mouth closed, and snatched up my newest pair of reading glasses from the table next to my saddlebag, which I had packed the night before. Then, I tried desperately to slip them in, but they were sealed tight. Having no other choice, I slammed them onto my face and flew out the door with my saddlebag.

I have barely gone ten meters when I suddenly rushed back into the house. "Where is my new school located!?" I half asked, half shrieked.

"You go to your old school first and they'll take you from there," my mother answered somewhat calmly while my dad stared at the scene with a bewildered expression on his face.

I rushed back outside and shot towards my school at breakneck speed. The wind threatened to ring me down, but I held strong. I burst through cloud after cloud, flapping my wings like it was the end of the world. Well, at least I did the weather team a favor this time, I thought as I wiped out a ring of clouds.

That was when I noticed that something was missing.

I had slammed on my reading glasses before heading out the door. But they were currently not on my face either. With me flying at this speed, it could only mean one thing. . .

I made a sudden swerve in my flight and looked back. Sure enough, there were a pair of gleaming glasses in the distance, gradually falling to the ground. My second pair of reading glasses. About to face the same doom as my first pair. I could not let this happen again.

But today was the first day of my new school. I didn't want to make a terrible first impression by being late. I weighed my options, my mind lost in a turbulence.

New school. . .

Glasses. . .

New school. . .

Glasses. . .

I guess I don't need to tell you what happened next.


"Dashie, I still can't believe you kept her back on purpose," Soarin shook his head, although an amused smile found its way to his face.

"What? I just wanted her to make a good first impression," Rainbow Dash answered innocently.

"By good first impression, you mean getting her late to class."

"Nah, I just wanted to see what tricks she'll pull off this time."

Soarin chuckled lightly, knowing very well that he could do nothing to argue against the logic of his beloved. Although she still tended to show it in a reckless way, he knew that she just wanted the best for their daughter. Of course, the same could be said for their son.

He still hadn't gotten over the fact that Spectrum Skies and Prismatic Blitz had two of the most different personalities he had ever seen in anypony, other than the Streak brothers. Spectrum was a serious, intelligent hard worker who was also quite an introvert and a perfectionist. Prism, on the other hoof, was a loud, wild socialist who tended to be lazy in his work. How the two of them happened to be related, he could never figure out.

"We've certainly come a long way, haven't we?" he said, putting an arm around his wife. She relaxed at his touch and smiled.

"I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you, you big dope," she poked him playfully. Then, she stared into each his eyes for a moment, savoring the memories hidden deep in those shining emerald orbs.

"I love you, Soar," she said, leaning in.

"I love you too, Dashie," he replied with an equal amount of love, leaning in.

Just then. . .

BOOM!

A shockwave exploded through the air, sending the couple rearing backwards. Energy buzzed in the air for a few seconds. A dazzling spectrum could be seen from through the windows, radiating outwards like colorful flames.

The two of them ran to the window, enjoying the beautiful view. From afar, a rainbow streak could be seen shooting upwards from the ground. Rainbow Dash then turned to Soarin, her eyes glowing with pride.

"See? Told ya she could do it."

Author's Note:

Whew! Another chapter done. Now you know the obvious connection between reading glasses and sonic rainbooms. Gotta admit, Spectrum is a little crazy sometimes, especially when it comes to glasses.

Also, the image of her cutie mark in this chapter is drawn by me.

So what did you think about this chapter? If you were Spectrum, would you do a Sonic Rainboom to save a pair of glasses? There is no right or wrong. I still haven't decided what I would do, yet.