• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 6,204 Views, 112 Comments

A New World - Dream Searcher



Due to a failed spell of Twilight, the ponies (and spike) are now trapped on earth.

  • ...
20
 112
 6,204

A Troubled Past

Note: Some people said to me that my dialogue should be better. I will TRY to make it better with some tips that I have read on the internet, let me know in the comments if it got any better. Also, I’m busy with chapter 4 and that chapter has less dialogue and more… normal text.

Light slowly came through the window, the sun slowly starting to warm my cheek. I thought back to yesterday, luckily it was just a dream. Then it struck me, it wasn’t a dream. These ponies were real. I felt a leg grabbing me. It was Rainbow, still sleeping. I tried to move as silently as I could because I didn’t want to wake her up. I finally got out of her grasp and put her foreleg back against her. It was a pretty sight; she was sleeping so calmly like she was already accustomed to my world. I put my clothes on and went into my kitchen. I decided to wake up the rest, Twilight first so she could help me wake up the others. I went to her house and saw it had to be a good day today. I knocked and saw a little purple baby dragon opening the door. I had to lower myself because the house wasn’t the size of an average human.

“Jack, I’m glad you’re here. I’ve tried all morning to wake up Twilight but nothing’s working.” He looked up at me with desperate eyes.

"Oh, I know a way that will work for sure.” I said, having trouble trying not to laugh. I saw that Spike had no idea what I was talking about.

I went up the stairs, sometimes hitting my head against the ceiling and cursing myself for building their houses so low. I saw Twilight sleeping just as peacefully as Rainbow. Well these ponies sure like sleeping. I thought. I came close to Twilight’s ear and began with my joke.

“Twilight, Princess Celestia is here.” I said, knowing she would be awake in 5…4…3…2…1…

She immediately jumped out of her bed and began apologizing. “Princess, I’m so sorry, it has been a rough day yesterday and I… Where is the Princess?” She asked dumbfounded, only to see that Spike and I were having the best laugh in our lives.
When she saw we were laughing a devilish smirk appeared on her face. She levitated two books and smashed them in both our faces, not very hard of course but it still hurt a little.

Now she was laughing and trying to say something at the same time. “That was…hahaha… hilarious.”

I also was still laughing but after a while we both stopped laughing and I asked my question. “Twilight, could you come and help me with waking up the other ponies?”

"Sure." She said while brushing her mane.

We both left her house and went to the cottage of Fluttershy. We knocked at the door but she didn’t open. Twilight used her magic to open the door and we saw Fluttershy sleeping on the couch.

“I know the perfect way to wake her up.” I said in a whisper.

“What are you going to do, you know she’s a very sensitive pony.” She whispered back, almost trying to stop me.

I slowly went to Fluttershy, still minding some attention to the low ceiling. I started to tickle her very slowly and after a while began speeding up.

“Angel, stop it.” She said while laughing a bit. But then it hit her that it wasn’t Angel who was tickling her. “Oh, Jack it’s you. I suppose that’s one way to wake me up.”

“I promise you that you can get some new animals while you’re on Earth. Are 30 minutes enough to get ready and when you’re ready come to the kitchen?” I said while stopping with the tickles and giving a wink at the same time.

“Okay.” She said with a not so shy voice.

Twilight and I went back outside and she looked at me. “What?” I asked, a little bit frustrated.

“You sure know how to wake somepony up.” She smiled at me.

“Well, my 3 best friends used to do it with me all the time.” I answered.

“What were they like?” She really wanted to know more about my life.

“I’d rather not talk about it.” I turned my head away because tears were forming in my eyes. Twilight still saw it.

“Is something wrong?” She asked, very concerned about me.

“I’ll tell you later.” I was wiping my tears away with my sleeve.

We continued walking to Pinkie’s house. We arrived and knocked at the door and to our surprise the door opened.

“Hey guys, what are you doing here?” She asked, bouncing up and down.

“Well we were going to wake you up but it seems that you’re already awake. Can you come to my kitchen in about 30 minutes?” I asked, my eyes looking up and down.

“I’ll be there.” She said and closed the door.

Twilight and I just stood there until I said. “She sure seems is an active pony.”

“You haven’t seen half of it.” She replied, giggling a bit.

Our next stop was Rarity. When we arrived we again had a surprise because here also the door opened.

“Hi Rarity, can we come in.” Twilight and I both said together, smiling a bit at each other

“No, you can’t. Just tell me why you two are here.” She said very quickly, a bit of sweat dripping from her forehead.

“Well, anyway I wanted to ask you if you could come to the kitchen in about… 25 minutes.” I was a bit surprised why she was so talking so quickly.

“Okay, okay.” And she closed the door.

“Didn’t that seem a bit strange to you, Twilight?” I asked her because I knew that she was also surprised about Rarity’s reaction.

“Very strange indeed,” She said, still deep in thoughts. “We’ll ask her later.”

Our last stop was Applejack’s little farm because my farm was the main farm. We saw Applejack already working in her soon-to-be apple orchard.

“Hey Applejack, what are you doing? I asked her because it seemed she was playing with the ground.

“Hey there Jack ah’m just plantin’ some apple seeds.” She said very busily.

“Well I’ll leave you to it then, but I’m expecting you in my kitchen in 25 minutes.”

“Ah’ll be there, Sugar.”

Twilight and I began walking to the kitchen until she asked me a question I didn’t want to hear.

“I really want to know what happened with you and your friends, tell me and you’ll feel better.” She said, making me stop walking.

“Twilight, I already said I didn’t want to talk about it.” I said while looking down at her with an angry expression.

“I’m sorry,” She began. “But I’ve just known you for one day and I know there something on your mind, I speak about it with me you’ll feel better. I care about you.”

Those last words did it. “Alright then,” I said, sitting down on the grass and looking at the sky. Twilight sat next to me, her eyes watching my every move. “It was just one year ago.”

Flashback: (search ‘dead island soundtrack’ on YouTube to add emotion.)

“I think this is going to be the best camping trip ever.” I said to John, Thomas and Hugo. They were my three closest friends.

We were in a forest not far from what is now my farm. We organized a camping trip because everyone managed to pass their finals and on this trip we were discussing our future. I chose to be a farmer because my parents were also farmers but they died when I was a kid. John wanted to go to Los Angeles and become famous. Thomas chose to study at a university and becoming a doctor and Hugo had the biggest dream of us all, he wanted to see the world.

“Yep, it’s definitely going to be awesome.” Thomas said who was setting up the tent.

Everyone did their part and soon it was already 4PM. Hugo and I decided to search for some fruits and to look at a magnificent view because our tents were close to a giant cliff, the cliff had a height of 433 feet (132 meters). But then the inevitable happened, Hugo was standing too close to the cliff and a piece of it broke off. He fell down but luckily I was standing close to him so I grabbed his arm. The others didn’t come because they didn’t hear us.

“Don’t let go, hold on.” I yelled at him, struggling to keep myself on the cliff.

Hugo was trying to climb up but it didn’t work because he was too heavy. “Let go.” He said.

“What? Never!”

“You have to; I’m not going to drag you down with me.” He said while he was trying to struggle loose.

He managed to break free from my grasp and I saw him falling. He was looking up at me, smiling and waving goodbye. I turned my head away because I didn’t want to see him die, the only thing I did was wave back. I don’t know if there is a God or not, but if there is then Hugo definitely deserved a place in heaven. He stood by my side the whole time, like when I was sad he cheered me up or once he bought me a car because I became 16. He was my best friend and I’m not going to forget him. At his funeral I decided to buy the farm that was close to his cemetery, so I would never forget him, but I blame myself everyday that I wasn’t strong enough for him to help him climb back up.

Back in the present

Now I was crying just as much when I lost Hugo. Twilight, who also felt bad, came closer to me hugged me very tightly. She had some tears in her eyes but wasn’t crying as much as I was.

“I’m sorry for asking,” She began, we both stopped crying. “Now I know why you didn’t want to talk about it.”

“It’s alright, I actually feel a bit better.”

“I’m going to give you a present this night.” She said, I looked at her, my head filled with questions. “Now let’s go to the kitchen.”

We went to the kitchen and I saw that Rainbow was also awake but Pinkie Pie was teasing her because she slept with me.

“Pinkie Pie, quit it.” I said while I was walking towards the refrigerator. She stopped but still with a smile on her face.

Rainbow walked towards me and whispered something in my ear. “Thank you.” I gave her a wink. “Well, what do you guys want to eat? I’ve got eggs, bread, bacon…”

When I said bacon everyone looked a bit surprised until Twilight spoke. “Um… we’re herbivores; I think some carrots and salad will do.”

As we ate I still thought of what Twilight had said. I’m going to give you a present this night. What did she mean? I hadn’t much time to decipher it because breakfast was finished quickly. Everyone went back to their houses to do what they wanted to do except for Rainbow Dash. She wanted to help me with the farm and I gladly accepted. My to-do list today was to clean up the barn and make sure I had enough hay. We both got to work and time flew by, it was already 8PM.

“Well Rainbow, you did a great job with those hay piles.”

“You think? Well I placed them very well if I do say so myself.” She said, full of pride.

While we were chatting and laughing, Twilight came into the barn. “Are you ready for your surprise?”

I turned around to look at her and said with a sigh. “Twilight, not this again.”

“I’m going to let you talk with Hugo.”

My face was full of amazement but it instantly turned to an expression that didn’t want to accept Twilight’s surprise. “No Twilight, I don’t want this. It still hurts too much.”

Twilight didn’t take no for an answer and used her magic to levitate me in the air, using all her magic and we left for the cemetery where Hugo lies, just 5 minutes away. Rainbow Dash didn’t know what was going on and decided to follow Twilight, this raised the attention of the other ponies and so they also followed. When we arrived at the cemetery I was so pissed at Twilight.

“Twilight, I said I didn’t want this.”

But she ignored me and let her horn glow until I felt something touching my back. I turned around and saw Hugo standing there. “Hugo? Is that really you?”

“It’s really me, my friend.” We hugged each other, a tear rolling down my cheek.

“It’s good to see you, I really missed you.” I said, stopping with the hug and smiling.

“I missed you too, tell me, how are Thomas and John?

“Thomas is now in Harvard, studying to become a doctor and John is in LA, he’s an actor in a small TV-show. They made their dreams come true, unlike you.”

“I don’t mind, I have enough to worry about in the afterlife.”

That made me think about a question I’d always wanted an answer for. “Is there a God and a Heaven?”

“That, my friend, I can’t tell you. You’ll have to find it out by yourself when you die.”

“Well that’s a pity, but why did you let go of my hand in the first place?”

“Because I didn’t want you to die and because I had only 2 months left to live.”

“You… only had 2 months to live?” I asked, shocked because he never told me that.

“3 months ago I was diagnosed with cancer; the doctors told me there was nothing they could do. I decided not to tell you because I wanted to live my life to the fullest, doing crazy things with John, Thomas and yourself.” He said smiling but with a tear in his eye.

We talked for 2 hours under the sky and it’s numerous stars. The ponies listened to us, sometimes crying or sometimes laughing.

“Well Jack,” He began. “ I think I need to say goodbye, I can feel death calling me.”

“Will I ever see you again?”

“Only when you’re dead because the spell your friend over there used can only be used once.” He gave me a big hug and a high five. “Goodbye” That was his last word.

“Goodbye.” I said smiling but also crying and he disappeared, only to be seen again when I’m dead.

I turned to Twilight and gave her a big hug, thanking her for bringing Hugo back for 2 hours. We went back to the farm and everyone went to their houses, Rainbow following me inside my house. We both went to bed.

“You sure have a troubled past.” Rainbow said, hugging me. “Do you want to tell me any more about it?”

“Another time, Rainbow, another time.”