• Published 20th May 2012
  • 7,069 Views, 153 Comments

Payne-full Realization - Ezbok58a

  • ...
8
 153
 7,069

Couple of hours and I’ve already got a fan

Max Payne and all related materials belonging to it are property of Rockstar Games
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic belongs to Hasbro, I in no way make any profit from this story. This is a story of my own strange mind that I wish to share with the rest of you.

Chapter 2: Couple of hours and I’ve already got a fan

------

I waited for the group to enter the library tree first before I followed, cautious of hitting my head on their unusually tall door for a bunch of Ponies…yet it still wasn’t tall enough for a human to enter, unless you ducked.

Inside I got the impression that the Library’s in a land full of Ponies don’t compare to the libraries back home. There were maybe two rooms full of books, and a set of stairs leading up to what looked like a bedroom without a door. There was also a distinct lack of chairs, not surprising considering the residents here were low enough to the ground that they didn’t need chairs.

I casually walked over to the stairs and decided to use them as my chair as I watched Twilight and the others have a little meeting around a table of a bust of a Unicorn. That bust brought more questions to the forefront of my mind, it joined the already staggering number of questions I had about this strange new place I found myself in.

Questions that I found out would end up doubling before the day’s end.

“Spike, Spike?” Twilight called out in the Library.

I wasn’t sure why she was calling out like she was until I heard footsteps at the top of the very staircase I sat on. As I slowly turned around I found another group of questions to be added to my ever growing list. What was standing at the top of the stairs was short, purple & green, and looked like a dinosaur. The coloring reminded me of that god-awful children’s cartoon from a few years ago…the mere image made me want to shoot it on principle alone. Then again doing so probably would wear out my welcome rather quickly, and I still didn’t know where the hell I was.

“Um Twilight, you do know there is a strange creature sitting on the stairs right?”

Then again, shooting it was sounding like a much better option than I initially thought.

“Yes Spike, we are all aware of it. And it’s a Human, called Max…you know if we have any books on unusual creatures in the Library?”

Funny, in my world I’m known as a drunken hired bodyguard with a tendency to screw up and kill people…Here I’m an ‘Unusual Creature’. I can’t say if it’s an improvement or a demotion…

“Um, wouldn’t those be under the mythical section, with the old Pony‘s tale?”

Twilight wandered over to the nearest bookshelf and her horn glowed like it did when she stopped me from smacking myself. Several books on the shelves were enveloped in that same color and flew down towards her. I was fascinated by this display of unknown power that I completely forgot there was a tiny dinosaur coming down the stairs to me.

“So, I’m Spike. Nice to meet you Max…” The Dinosaur spoke as it extended its stubby arm.

I eyed this hand carefully, noting the claws on each end. Suddenly Rainbow’s dismissal of my hand made sense. I cautiously extended my hand to his and finished the shake.

“So what are you exactly, a small dinosaur?”

“Dinosaur, what the hay is a dinosaur? I’m a dragon.”

I was coming to the slow realization that everything in this world is essentially a fairy tale story come to life. Unicorns, Pegasus, and now Dragons…

“A dragon, aren’t you a little small to be a dragon?”

“Spikey-Wikey is adorable baby dragon!” The white Unicorn, Rarity I think she was called, chimed in as she strolled over as the ‘baby’ dragon made his way past me down the stairs.

“Spikey-Wikey, ugh where’s that southern pony with my alcohol?”

As if on cue, the door to the library swung open revealing that very same southern accented pony.

“The name is Applejack, and I’ve got some of that cider right here. Now I ain’t giving all my stock to some new creature, so you’re gonna make do with what I brought ya’…”

On her back, balanced by some unforeseen measure were 4 jugs of my liquid savior. And being this was all like a cartoon they were the stereotypical moonshine jugs with three X’s on the sides. I didn’t know if there was another source of my liquid vice in this land, so I’d actually have to think on how to get drunk…a new challenge for me.

“Well are ya going to sit there and admire them or are you going to take ‘em?”

Applejack asked with a scowl on her face. Obviously she wasn’t too keen on dealing with me, or that she had to give up some of her stock to someone who just randomly showed up in their world. Not that I could blame her.

I leaned forward off the steps and was able to cautiously take all of the jugs off her back and set them down next to the stairs I was still sitting on. I pulled the cork out of one of the jugs and took a swig, not as strong as my usual scotch but it’ll have to do.

“Thank you, Applejack.”

“Don’t mention it, really. If ponies knew I had this stuff Berry Punch would clean me out faster than you would I imagine…”

I raised an eyebrow as the cowboy hat wearing pony walked away toward her friends who were currently looking over an ever growing stack of books. I didn’t completely understand what she meant by that, possibly that this land is a dry land…and even having this alcoholic cider is the equivalent of moonshine in the back woods of the Appalachian Mountains. I however, was interrupted from my thoughts on what the Pony version of police would look like by the close proximity of Rainbow’s flapping wings.

“So Max…” She was trying to sound sincere…at least I think she was. To me it sounded like a teenage girl about to ask an obvious stupid question.

“…You mind explaining why you called me a Gay Pride Poster?”

Looks like I was right…although I had no way to tell ages on these ponies, so I gave myself half credit before I answered her.

“Back where I’m from there are Males and Females”

“Well, duh…” Rainbow interrupted. The corner of my mouth curled up into a slight grin…oh how I was going to enjoy this...

“Anyway, when a man likes another man or when a female likes another female, then they’re known as Gay.”

“So, are you saying I’m gay with my friends?”

Good God it couldn’t really be this easy. I was starting to find it hard to keep from laughing.

“It’s not that kind of like, I’m talking about ‘wanting to get married and go to bed together’ kind of like…”

I watched as Rainbows face went from one of confusion to the realization of what I was saying.

“Oh, OH…”

“So, are you GAY with your friends?” I started to chuckle as Rainbow suddenly panicked over what she previously said.

“WHAT, GAH NO! NO WAY! They’re my friends! I wouldn’t- I mean…I never, we never…”

At this point I gently threw a punch into her front shoulder, much like you would do to a buddy after you gave him a good ribbing.

“Hey, hold your horses…I’m joking.”

A wave of relief passed over her as she suddenly decided to stop hovering and land next to me on the stairs. Noticing this, I decided against what good judgment I had left to continue pushing buttons…

“You did hesitate on answering me there you know…”

“No I didn’t”

“Rainbow, I used to be a cop. I know when someone’s lying to me…”

“I’m not GAY!” She shouted.

Everyone in the room stopped and looked in our direction, Rainbow realized just what she did and started to sweat…and blush. If I was a little girl I’d probably find this whole situation adorable, but as a grown man I was just as uncomfortable as she was. Deciding I’ve pushed one too many buttons I took the initiative.

“So, do you actually have ponies that uphold the law here?”

That seemed to distract the group from all the shocked stares and to go back to the research they were doing. Rainbow breathed a sigh of relief. I didn’t actually expect an answer, it was just something to distract them from the mess I apparently got myself into.

“I’m not gay…” She practically growled through clenched teeth at me before she gave me what she thought was an angry look.

“I was joking…you just found out what Gay means; I wasn’t actually calling you gay.”

“But, that still doesn’t explain why you called me a Gay Pride Poster…”

At this point continuing on this conversation would’ve been detrimental to these six helping me, and if I didn’t just mix cider with an unknown alcohol by volume content and my pain killers I wouldn’t have answered.

“These Gay people use the Rainbow colors as their flag. They call it pride, and they use a Rainbow Colored flag…”

Rainbow’s pupils shrank from their usual saucer shape to incredibly tiny…I didn’t think that was actually possible. Then again, what I thought was impossible was slowly getting erased today.

“So…I’m a symbol for gay humans?!?”

“Well, not you specifically just your coloring.”

“Oh that just makes it SOOOO much better…” she snarled.

“We aren’t in my world, so you have nothing to worry about…”

Rainbow’s shoulders shrugged.

“At least they picked something awesome for their symbol…”

“…sure that’s one way to look at it.”

Deciding to end this torturing conversation I decided to move over to the pile of books that hid the others in their attempt at figuring out what I am and if I could even get back home.

“So what’s the good word?”

I asked before I took another swig from the cider jug. Twilight looked up from the pile of discarded books, her ears pinned back against her head, and whatever she found out wasn’t good.

“So it’s that bad?”

“Truthfully, I don’t know…I knew we had books on mythical creatures and old tales, but I can’t find them…and I don’t think the girls are having much luck either.”

I looked across the group of them, seeing nothing but worried faces. It was then that I started reflecting on why I am here…what brought me here? I learned a long time ago that you only have the illusion of having multiple choices in life. The reality is like a forked lightning bolt, it only seems like you have multiple choices when in reality you only have one. And if you didn’t make the choice you did, you’d be someone completely different wondering a different set of ‘what ifs’.

Perhaps it was the recent events in Brazil with the death of my employer at his office and his still missing wife. My own incompetence and intoxication was the cause of this mess, but why would I end up here? It didn’t make any sense. It’s a giant jigsaw puzzle, only with most of the pieces missing. My thoughts were interrupted by the baby dragon’s shouting from across the room.

“Hey Twilight, you know most of those books have been checked out right?” Spike asked.

“What, who would do such a thing?!? I need those books here!”

“Uh Twi, you do realize you live in a Library right?” Applejack asked…

Apparently that little tidbit of information was not part of Twilight’s knowledge as the realization passed over her.

“Um…right, I knew that. So who took the books out?”

“Do you really have to ask?” Spike deadpanned.

“Spike who do you…wait, you mean…Ugh, not her again!”

“Yep, Lyra has them again…”

“I swear there’s something wrong with that pony. Always obsessing over things that don’t exist…” Rarity was saying before she realized I was standing behind her.

“Oh, right. No offense Max…” She said nervously.

“It’ll take a lot more than that to offend me.”

“Oh, alright then…so Twilight what’s the plan?” Rarity continued.

“Well, probably go see Lyra and see if we can get those books back.”

“Sounds simple enough, well what are we waiting for?” Rainbow asked as she did a few flips in the air.

I tilted my head to the right, cracking my neck in the process before I started towards the door.

“Let’s get this over with…” I said as I grabbed the door handle.

As soon as I grabbed it, Twilights glowing magic kept it from opening on me. I turned back towards her.

“Max, you can’t go with us! You’ll cause a riot, pandemonium, chaos!” She pleaded, with me.

“Look, I have no idea how long I’m going to be stuck here, so I might as well make the most of it. And if they decide to get their torches and pitchforks to get me…let’s just say I can handle myself.”

“Yeah Twilight who wants to stay cooped up in the Library all day, he’s going to have to head outside eventually.”

Rainbow said as she flew up to my side, earning an angry glare from Twilight.

“Um…Twilight…I kind of agree with them…” Fluttershy said quietly.

For the most part the timid little Pegasus stayed quiet and away from me, I couldn’t make heads or tails of her…kind and sweet one moment, and then shy and nervous the next.

“But Fluttershy, think about what all the other ponies will think, what will they say?!”

Twilight looked like she was on the verge of a meltdown, over thinking things tends to have a similar effect on most humans too. Perhaps she would benefit from some alcoholic cider as well…

“Besides Twilight, maybe he could find something to do around town?” Spike added.

It seemed as though I got the majority vote in my favor, Twilight eventually lowered her shoulders in defeat.

“Alright, you win. Let’s get this over with…”

The confidence of the group was high; I on the other hand wasn’t so sure of my decision. Right now the only experience I had with talking small animals was these seven creatures here. What the whole town would make of me is a completely different situation. Let alone this resident who took out these books.

Sure I had my Beretta strapped to my chest, but I only had 3 extra magazines for it, and a shootout with a bunch of pastel colored small horses wouldn’t make me the greatest being to ever cross into town. That and the fact I don’t know what to make of this land’s ‘Princesses’ and what they’d do to me if it came down to that.

I took another swig from my Cider jug before I plugged the top and set it aside. Walking around with something I’d been told not to let any ‘pony’ see I figured the slight buzz I had would do for the trip into town. By the time I set the bottle down by the stairs I already had the group of ponies waiting impatiently for me outside.

“You coming with us Spike?” I asked.

The baby dragon shrugged his shoulders at me.

“No thanks, Twilight wants me to send a message to Princess Celestia about your arrival and about getting you back home.”

“Do I have anything to worry about as far as the Princess is concerned?”

“Not really, unless you go on a rampage while you’re out on the town I wouldn’t worry too much about it”

The words offered little encouragement, if they knew how my luck ran a rampage through town seemed about due. Then again outright panic was far more likely…

I waved to Spike as I closed the door behind me, again outside in the incredibly too colorful world these ponies live in. Twilight was already at the front of the pack, ready to lead her friends into the unknown scrutiny a newcomer like myself was about to bring.

Twilight waited till I walked up beside her before she started walking, leading the group of her friends and myself into town. To say I was apprehensive was a gross understatement.

The streets of this town they called ‘Ponyville’ was rather bustling not adding to my uneasiness. Dozens of pastel colored ponies wandered around what I assumed was the main street. For the most part they minded their own business, not paying any attention to the six foot tall strange creature walking with six other ponies. I caught a few that noticed me and stared for a moment before they turned back to what they were doing.

I felt like I was back in New York, where residents don’t even bother to give you the time of day. Only here it’s more colorful, and…happy. Then again there was the few that did audibly gasp when they saw me, but they did nothing more than that.

“I have to say, I’m quite surprised the town isn’t in a massive panic…” Rarity said, looking around at all the other ponies.

“Apparently we underestimated how the residents would react. Then again there have been some crazy things happening in this town so…” Twilight trailed off.

“So who has these books again?”

“Lyra, Lyra Heartstrings…she’s a little infatuated with some pony myths. Constantly saying things like ‘high five’, playing a ridiculous game called ‘rock, paper, and scissors’ and rambling about hands…” Twilight trailed off as she gave me a completely surprised look. She caught what she was doing just a bit after I did, I gave her a smirk.

“Doesn’t seem that farfetched now does it?”

To further amuse myself I held my hand out just at Twilight’s eye-level.

“High-Five!”

I was rewarded by Applejack and Rainbow chuckling while Twilight rolled her eyes before she continued on ahead.

“What, you going to leave me hanging?”

I was suddenly surprised when Pinkie Pie appeared in front of me and met my comedic attempt at messing with Twilight with a hoof right in the palm of my hand. I have no idea how she was able to just appear, but judging by the non-interested looks of her friends it was par for the course. Shaking my head I just continued after the Purple Unicorn.

I must admit the ability to poke fun at someone without the threat of getting shot was rather refreshing. I sure was making at least two of the fellow ponies happy with my antics. Little did I know how happy I’d make a completely unknown to me pony.

“Hey Twilight, I can see Lyra over by Sugar Cube Corner!” Rainbow pointed to a building in the not so distant, distance.

The building itself looked like a giant ginger bread house, I half expected to see Hansel and Gretel being lured in by a green skinned witch.

Outside of the confectionary building my eyes were drawn to one pony in particular…the only one who seemed to notice me.

It was a Unicorn, and going off of the name I heard Twilight say it was a she. Minty green coat, with the same green and white mane & tail. The mark on her side directly corresponded to her name, a trait that I’ve noticed more and more on our walk into town. I could tell by the shocked look on her face that she couldn’t believe what she was seeing, but I also saw the unbridled excitement in those big golden eyes.

I’ve only been in this world a couple of hours and I’ve already got a fan.

Within seconds of noticing me the Mint Unicorn was upon me. Speaking at such a frantic pace I couldn’t understand a word she was saying. A glance at the surrounding group revealed that they couldn’t understand her either. Even the over hyper Pinkie Pie was dumbstruck by how Lyra was acting…

Eventually it took Twilight and her purple field of magical energy to pull her away and procure a paper bag so she could control her hyperventilating.

“Well Max, seems you have a number one fan here. Welcome to the club!” Rainbow said as let out a laugh.

I didn’t pay any attention to her at the moment, Lyra had myself captivated. I can’t say exactly what it was about her, maybe a strange creature in an unknown land having someone else who’s a big fan of what or who you are drew my interest.

I couldn’t say for certain, and I wouldn’t know if I’d actually feel like this when I talked to her. But knowing no matter what I have someone I can rely on gave me some added comfort.

After a few moments the Mint Green Unicorn was able to coherently speak…

“ohmygoshIcan’tbelieveitsahuman!”

Well, almost coherently.

“Lyra, BREATH. He’s not going anywhere…calm down and try that again…” Twilight said calmly.

Another deep breath and Lyra looked like she was composed enough to talk.

“Sorry…it’s just so exiting! I mean a real human here in Equestria! I’m just so exited, and I just can’t hide it!”

The groans I heard around me told me that the ponies also caught the pun, adding another question of ‘how the hell do you know these things?’ to my list of weird and unknown shit to ask these ponies.

“Yes, we can tell. And that’s why we’re here.”

Twilight was doing a very good job of talking the other Unicorn down from her excitement. I’m sure the NYPD would love to have her as a Hostage Negotiator with her ability to act calm, cool and collected under pressure…well except for that one time she was about to lose it. Hey, apparently not even Ponies can be perfect.

“Here, wait…why are you here to see me? I mean I’m honored to meet a human being as I thought that I’d never actually see one. But why are you here to see me?”

“You checked out all the books on Pony Mythology and Legends, and we actually need to look through them to get a better understanding of what a human actually is.”

“Well why can’t you simply just ask him?”

A couple of hairs stuck out of Twilights mane as one of her eyes began to twitch. The question obviously struck a chord with the book smart Unicorn.

“Yeah, why the hay didn’t we just ask him? Why did we need these books anyway?”

Rainbow added as she hovered upside down beside Twilight, if anything her addition made Twilights eye twitch a little more.

“Probably because I’m too focused on how to get drunk and if I could get back home…”

I didn’t think I needed to say what I did, but Twilight looked like she was about to blow a gasket. I know what that looks like in my world and how to appropriately deal with it. Usually two to the head…I don’t think that would work here. And being she was a Unicorn a lot more were endanger from her loosing it than just me.

“Well, he does make a point there. So Lyra, you think you can bring those books back to the library? We do need to go over them after all.”

The southern-like drawl of Applejack, strange but it was actually rather soothing to listen to now. I’m so used to Guido assholes wanting to put a bullet in me that an accent like hers was refreshing. Also, much unlike my time in Brazil I could actually understand what was being said.

“Oh of course! I’d be glad to help! He’ll be there too right? It is a he isn’t it?”

I buried my face in my hand; apparently leaving the cider back at the library wasn’t a good idea after all. It wasn’t their fault; they’ve never seen me or my kind in the flesh before. But all these questions…questions a child would ask…God did I need a drink. And making it last was going to be a problem.

“Yes Lyra, it’s a he…and he will be there. Won’t you Max?”

I chuckled slightly; apparently Twilight was picking up on my growing annoyance.

“Where else am I going to go? Besides, I got my booze there…”

“Booze? What’s booze?” Lyra asked scratching her head.

“It’s something that Berry Punch likes to have, let’s put it that way.” Rarity chimed in.

“Oh, alright…I’ll be at the library in a flash!”

Surprisingly there was a bright flash of gold light and Lyra was simply gone. Yet the only one baffled by the scene was me.

“I hope Lyra perfected the teleportation spell, last time she found herself in an interesting situation.” Twilight chuckled to herself as we slowly turned back towards the Library.

“You mean that time she teleported herself fifteen feet above the lake? Or the time she teleported into the shower with my brother?” Applejack asked.

This bit of news brought the entire group to a standstill.

“Wait, you mean Lyra actually TELEPORTED into the shower of your house while Big Macintosh was showering?!?” Rainbow asked rubbing her head.

I heard a subtle laughter slightly behind me, and when I turned I certainly wasn’t expecting the shy Fluttershy to be the one laughing…judging by the red in hers and Rarity’s faces, the two of them were trying very hard to contain their laughter.

“Yep, she sure as sugar did. Ah, I can still hear them both screaming out of sheer shock and embarrassment now…”

Applejack actually took her hat off as she laughed to herself, as if mourning the passing of a dear friend. Or in this case, some dirt to throw on her brother. Sibling Rivalries, something else this world and mine had in common.

“Well, at least they didn’t have to take a cold shower afterward…”

My attempted joke went over as well I might’ve expected. Doing nothing but bring blank stares.

“I don’t get it? Is humor something you don’t quite grasp where you’re from?”

The cheerful voice of Pinkie Pie. Too bad it didn’t actually cheer me up at that moment.

“Trust me Pinkie; if you’ve seen what I have…you’d have the same sense of humor.”

“Well, you’ll just have to explain it to me tomorrow!”

“Tomorrow, Pinkie you’re not coming back to the library with us?” Twilight asked.

“I would love to spend more time getting to know Max better, but the Cakes have a big order to fill and I promised I’d watch after the twins!”

Pinkie seemed slightly sad, although it was hard to tell. The pink pony didn’t stop hopping since we left the library. I said my goodbye as did the rest of the group before we started walking back to the library, the group staying mostly quiet for the trip. I wasn’t surprised when Applejack and Rarity split from the group, one tending to the farm and the other her boutique…I didn’t even know Ponies here wore clothes, hell I didn’t see anyone wearing clothes. So how the hell does she stay in business?

As we entered the Library, I noticed that the giant mess of books Twilight left behind was now gone, stacked back up on the bookshelves. The place was actually sparkling clean.

I made a beeline for the jug of cider and quickly downed a few mouthfuls of the stuff, relishing the soothing burn and it went down my throat. I quickly determined that in order to survive in this world I would have to find some more alcoholic substances to keep me functioning.

The bright gold flash at the top of the stairs caught my attention, and sure enough Lyra appeared at the top of the stairs…and four feet off the ground.

“Hey Twilight I-WHOAAA!!!”

It was very comical to watch the Unicorn unceremoniously tumble down the stairs and land in a heap at the bottom.

“So you didn’t perfect Teleporting…”

Twilight sighed as she made her way over to Lyra and helped her to her feet…or hooves…

“Do I even want to know where you appeared when you left the town square?”

“Oh, it wasn’t as bad as that time with the lake…”

Lyra nervously laughed it off, I could tell she wanted the conversation dropped, but the wound was already opened and the fresh blood attracted the sharks to come in for the kill.

“How about the time with Big Macintosh and the shower?” Rainbow asked with a slight smirk.

“Oh, heh-heh…you heard about that?”

The Green Unicorn was now rubbing a leg behind her head; I could see the sweat start beading on her forehead.

“Um Rainbow…perhaps…just maybe…”

Fluttershy’s voice was nearly lost under the wing beats of Rainbow Dash who still hovered in the air.

“So, where did you end up this time Lyra?” Twilight deadpanned as she lifted the bags off of Lyra’s back.

“Oh, no where special…just behind…..” Lyra trailed off leaving all of us guessing.

“I’m sorry what did you say?” Twilight asked

“It was just behind the…” Again she trailed off.

“Look where did you teleport behind? It can’t be that embarrassing…”

I stepped in figuring that the one outright fan of my species wouldn’t be as timid or embarrassed as her peers.
Lyra’s mood change was drastic, apparently I thought right. Her body language changed from tension and on edge to one of relaxation. Apparently my alcohol consumption did nothing to damper my cop instincts and ability to read people…well Ponies in this case.

“It was behind the bookcase…I teleported behind the bookcase.”

“Well, not the worst place you’ve teleported to now is it?”

I reached down and ran my hand through her mane much the same you’d do to a dog that curled up at your feet seeking attention. Only here it had a profoundly different effect...She fainted.

Fluttershy rushed up to the fainted unicorn while Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and I looked on completely dumbstruck.

“Well…didn’t see that coming…”

“Smooth move Max…and I was going to ask her about Big Mac in the shower…”

“RAINBOW!”

I shook my head; the last thing I needed to hear was girl gossip from a bunch of ponies. Such an image would make me sick to my stomach.

“Look, you can ask her in all detail about that later when I’m not here…I hear enough of that shit at home I don’t need to associate it with a bunch of pastel colored ponies.”

It took Fluttershy only a few moments to bring the downed Unicorn back from the unintended nap; the yellow Pegasus certainly has some skills when it comes to handling a fainted Unicorn.

“It’s ok Lyra…just try take it easy…”

Even her timid voice was perfect for this kind of thing. I figured I should probably use this time in this world to get to know these ponies around me…at least then I’d feel more comfortable around them then I currently did.

“Oh my…I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to faint…but it’s just so…”

I held my hands up, causing Lyra to stop and just watch me.

“You don’t have to apologize to me; I understand this is completely new to you. Trust me it’s new to me as well. Just take it one piece at a time.”

That was enough to get her to understand, now actually talking to me seem to wear off the sheer joy of seeing something she once though existed only in a book. Now with these 4 here with Spike could they better understand what a human being actually is, according to their mythology anyway. You’re probably wondering why I didn’t just tell them all there is about humans myself. The reason for that was quite simple, I hate explaining things. I’d rather my gun do the explaining for me. I was never a person who told stories or tales, I lived here and now, what happened in the past is just that. Apparently the phrase ‘Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it’ was a key moment I seemed to have glossed over.

I took my seat back on the stairs as I watched the two Unicorns use their glowing magic to pull the books out of the bags. One book for each of them, this worked out better than expected…I had a feeling I wouldn’t get a chance to rest, but answering the questions that those books would probably bring up. So long as it was simple yes and no answers I was completely fine with that.

--------

As it turned out, I couldn’t actually get away with a simple yes or no answer for their questions. If anything I could count how many single word answers I gave on one hand…at least I would if I wasn’t in my more typical drunken state.

Some of the things put in those books were absolute bullshit…or in this case horseshit. Can humans breath fire, can they fly, can we breathe underwater…there was no simple answer to those questions…they all involved complex answers I wasn’t too keen of giving. But after I finished off the first jug of cider I was inebriated enough to answer them in detail that would satisfy the two bookworm Unicorns.

In fact I went so in detail with my explanations that it was already dark out. I didn’t really pay attention to the time, there was no clock that I could see in the library and I was drunk enough to not care. I was just finishing up my explanation of what a helicopter was when Twilight noticed the time.

“…and it’s got these angled blades up top…rotors I think they’re called. And they spin fast enough to generate lift. And that’s one of the means humans use to fly…other than jets of course…”

“Ok, so you have motorized carriages you call ‘cars’, trains, planes, boats and helicopters? Those sound so AWESOME!!!”

The fact that Rainbow Dash was so enthralled by my explanations of motorized vehicles was understandable, she liked to fly…and with a name like ‘Dash’ I’d assumed she liked to fly fast.

“Oh my, it’s already dark out!”

“Oh my goodness, I have to get back to feed my animals!”

“Well, we should probably call it a day; I’ve got to clear the sky tomorrow after all.”

I raised an eyebrow quizzically. Most of the afternoon was spent getting to know humans, I still didn’t have much of a grasp on how things work here, other than unicorns had magic and Pegasus could fly. Then again it looked like I might be here a little while so I’d have all the time to figure this world out…with my luck I’d know everything there is about this place just as they find a way to send me back home.

“Oh, I could teleport you guys back if you want?”

Lyra asked enthusiastically. The response was practically unanimous.

“NO!!”

Laughing at their outbursts I cautiously got to my feet, an idea already in my mind of what to do…

“Come on, I’ll walk you ladies home…”

Judging by the dumbfounded stares I was getting, I don’t think they expected me to offer that.

“But Max, you don’t know your way around!”

Twilight did have a point, but the town itself didn’t look overly complicated for an armed drunk like me to navigate.

“I’ll be fine, just look for the giant tree that’s also a Library. No problem”

Judging by the looks they were giving me they didn’t really buy it.

“Maybe I should head with them, you know…just in case.”

“That’s a good idea Rainbow, you sure it’s no trouble?”

“No trouble at all Twilight, easy-peasy…”

With Twilight satisfied that I was being chaperoned there and back she walked us up to the front door.

“Max, just please be careful…we don’t need you causing an incident…I don’t even know what Princess Celestia will have to say about this whole thing. So please, please stay out of trouble.”

“You have nothing to worry about. I’ll be back before you know it…”

“Probably have to sleep off your hangover after all…”

Rainbow muttered loud enough for me to hear. She had her back to me, which made my retaliation even easier. I simply put my hand up and flicked the back of her left ear.

“OW! What was that for?”

“I heard that…”

Without much drama we slowly exited the library and started our way through town. Once the sun dipped below the horizon the place transformed into a ghost town. Strange how a simple change in the day can change the whole aura of a town. I’ve seen it before, but it instills a feeling of evil foreboding that keeps you on edge.

“Um…Max?”

The quiet voice of Fluttershy caught my attention. Being I had hardly heard her said a word the entire day I was surprised I still remembered what her voice sounded like.

“Yeah?”

“I…I’m just curious…you told us all about all the great things Humans did…but…well…”

She trailed off again, either too nervous to finish or not sure how to word what she was going to say…

“…well, we still don’t know a lot about you?”

“Well, what exactly did you want to know about me?”

I figured it was a matter of time before this topic was brought up again. Keeping what I do for a living under wraps from this world of bright colors and happy residents can only last so long, like all secrets people start to notice that somethings off the longer it goes on. It was the only smart thing I did up to that point, I could have kept dodging the question and kept the charade going on for as long as I could. But thanks to my renewed drinking the ability to dodge the question was getting harder by the second.

“Well…basically….everything…if that’s alright with you…”

Everything…that was a loaded question if there ever was one, being I didn’t want to do this walk in an awkward silence I decided to just answer the question. It was the least I could do for the shy yellow Pegasus.

“I used to be a police officer, someone who protects people from other people who do bad things…”

The three of them nodded their heads in understanding…It made me wonder about the throw away question I asked Rainbow earlier in the day. Did even had a police force or a ‘police pony force’ in this land?

“…anyways I was married and we just had a kid. Then my wife and child were killed by some drugged out junkies sent by my wife’s employer because my wife was nosing around in what the company was doing…”

The ears flattened out against their heads, I seen it just a few times that day but I could tell that this was a sign that they were rather upset. Granted someone telling you their family was killed is not something you’d listen to without feeling some level of remorse.

“After that, I joined with my friends division and went undercover to find who was responsible for putting the drugs the junkies that killed my family were high on at the time.”

There was a little lie in that. Only because I didn’t want to get sidetracked explaining to them what the DEA was and how it functioned.

“That led to me watching my friend getting killed right in front of me, my cover being blown and then going on a murderous killing spree that ended with the person responsible for killing my family getting crushed by a mast that fell on their helicopter…”

To say the group of ponies was surprised was an understatement. They were shocked. From there they just silently listened as I continued my sad dark tale that was my life. From meeting Mona, to the incidents with Vlad, the culmination of losing my job and eventually my drunken escapades in Hoboken right up to me working protection for Rodrigo Bronco...there I was hoping they could see the pattern of events that seemed to follow me wherever I went. From Fabiana getting kidnapped to the events at Bronco’s office that for me was the day before I got here I told them everything…which judging by their expressions was not a good thing. The three of them stopped walking around this time, allowing me to walk further ahead of them…probably frozen in fear of what I might do to them. I can’t say I blamed them, just finding out this seemingly nice newcomer is actually a stone cold killer with little regard for human life does have a profound effect on someone.

“You…you’ve ended lives?”

Fluttershy was shaking where she stood, Lyra had a blank stare on her face and Rainbow stopped flying and was now standing on the ground. Clearly what I told them had an impact.

“Believe me, it wasn’t a choice I was proud to make…”

“B-but…it sounds like you’ve…killed….killed so many…”

“What can I say…trouble seems to follow me wherever I go…”

It didn’t matter what I did or where I did it, somehow trouble knew my every move and decided to show up when I least expected it. I’d let the cat out of the bag, these three knew what I really was...A killer, a sad pathetic man who had everything he ever loved taken away from him and then went on a bloody rampage to get justice. Justice was such a hollow feeling…sure they bad guys were brought down, but it’d never bring back what you lost.

“So you’ve…you killed, willingly…” Rainbow took a step back.

“I didn’t have a choice. Humans are more complex than you think…we do things that are completely foreign to you. We don’t always choose the path we’re on, sometimes life just seems to say screw you and ruin everything you ever wanted. Not every human is a good person, a lot of them are backstabbing bastards looking to ruin your life the first chance they get. We aren't as happy, cheerful and colorful as you are here. My worlds dark, full of violence, death, anger, depression...That’s why I am the way I am. I’m the result of the shit hitting the fan on several occasions...and trying to pick up the pieces afterward...”

I turned away from them as I continued on my rant, unsure of what exactly I was doing or why I was doing it. Could they have really made this much of a impact on me in just the short time I've been here?

"...This isn't a world for me...I haven't been in a place where everything's so goddamned perfect in my life. I never thought I'd miss the horror show that became my life but for Christ's Sake I'm missing it now..."

Rainbow Dash’s ears came up off her head as did the other two. Apparently what I said was making some sense to them but I could see they were still hesitant. Then, much to my surprise Fluttershy stepped forward from them and came right to my feet, rubbing her head against my leg much the same a dog would.

“You’re not a bad pony, you’ve just been forced to make some bad choices…”

Now it was my turn to be dumbstruck, my little drunken speech was able to take easily the most terrified one of them on to being the one to support me? Either I drank too much or not enough for this to make sense.

“After all that, you’re the one who still supports me? Why?”

“I take care of animals…all animals. I’ve seen some mean creatures come to me who need help…I don’t really understand them, but they know I’m the pony to go to if they need something patched up…”

“So, you’re the unofficial vet of Ponyville? How does that relate to me?”

“…Creatures that have come to me, have had to make some tough decisions, I can tell in their face and how they carry themselves that they had to do something’s that they didn’t want to do, but they have to. I see those same things in you Max.”

It was comforting to here, I didn’t know how much of it I believed or if it even made sense to me…at that moment I really just wanted to have this trip come to an end.

Fluttershy’s actions seemed to be something the other two could agree with as I soon found them right up with her giving me the same puppy dog eyes. It was a tender moment if I ever knew one…and I haven’t known one in quite a while.

Like all tender moments, this one had to come to an end. I still had to escort these girls back to their homes before I eventually returned to the library. The journey took us to Fluttershy’s cottage first, Lyra wanted to stick with me, I could only assume she like the others were touched by my speech and wanted to see it through to the end.

The forest butted right against Fluttershy’s home, that same forest that I showed up on the edge of earlier this morning. Only now the forest looked even more menacing than it did earlier…

I kept watching it, expecting something evil with an urge to kill me comes jumping out of the darkened forest and rip my face off. I was only vaguely aware that the three of them stopped after we crossed the small bridge leading to the front door.

“Well, it looks like we have made it without any incident.” Lyra breathed a sigh of relief.

“Yeah, for once I’m glad nothing happened…” Rainbow added.

The howl of a wolf from the nearby woods froze everyone in place. My attention went from the three ponies back to the forest. Why I took my eyes off the forest I still don’t know, maybe I was distracted by the quaintness that was a cottage made out of a tree near the forest, who knows…

All I did know was my lack of judgment has again put girls in danger, good move Max...at least I'm on par for every other terrible incident in my life…

The three of them turned towards the sound faster than I did, and all three were not looking any better than they did when we heard the howl. My first sign that things had gone from bad for worse…only how worse I didn’t know.

The wood line was much the same as before, except for the three sets of seemingly glowing yellow eyes staring back at us, and the growl that could only belong to a wolf.

“Shit…”