• Published 20th May 2012
  • 7,058 Views, 153 Comments

Payne-full Realization - Ezbok58a

  • ...
8
 153
 7,058

Staring down Death and his wooden fangs

Max Payne and all related materials belonging to it are property of Rockstar Games
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic belongs to Hasbro, I in no way make any profit from this story. This is a story of my own strange mind that I wish to share with the rest of you.

Chapter 3: Staring down Death and his wooden fangs
------
Trouble always seemed to find me, no matter what strange world I seemed to end up in. Here I was stuck in the land colorful small horses, and the group I’m with now faced down three sets of glowing yellow eyes and a growl that could belong to nothing other than a pack of wolves.

At least some things are still the same between our worlds…

“Fluttershy…are those Timberwolves?” Lyra asked.

“Yes…they usually don’t venture out of the forest though…” Fluttershy answered

“Well they’re out of it now, and they’re looking very hungry…” Rainbow added.

The three girls were scared, not that I could blame them. Killer wolves were a new one for me as well; I’m more used to a group of blood thirsty killers coming after me to fill me full of holes than an animal that wants to rip my face off. I watched the tree line carefully as the first set of glowing eyes emerged from the darkness, giving me yet another surprise that I should’ve expected in this cartoonish world.

“Is that thing made of wood?”

“Well…yes…that’s why they’re called a Timberwolves…” Fluttershy answered a little more confidently than before.

“Jesus Christ, does everything in this world’s name have a literal meaning?!?”

Now wasn’t the time for a long-winded bullshit rant about literal meanings as the three living pieces of lumber slowly advanced on us. Saliva or more fittingly tree sap was dripping from their bared teeth as the lead one looked me right in the eyes. All my years spent as a cop and my time as personal security started to kick in, an animal is usually hard to read but this world threw my common beliefs out the window and then crushed them for good measure. The look in this wolves eyes I’ve seen countless times before and its intent was all too familiar.

Without another thought I pulled my gun and held it at my side. I took it as my responsibility to keep the girls safe…an old flaw that’s gotten me into more trouble than I can even remember. I didn’t dare take my eyes off these creatures as I started to form a plan.

“Rainbow, I want you to take everyone back to the tree house…”

“Wait…I might be able to persuade them to leave!” Fluttershy said.

“We don’t have time…we need to move now…”

“No! I can get them to leave us alone!”

The timid Pegasus practically shouted at me, well as loud as a shy Pegasus could shout…her voice was barely above her normal speaking volume. Before I could tell her anything else she started walking towards the Timberwolves, my thumb instinctively went to make sure the safety was off as I watched her.

“Rainbow, I want you and Lyra to get back to the tree house as fast as you can…”

“Whoa, no way am I leaving you and Fluttershy out here with these things!”

“Just do it Rainbow, I can take care of these walking pieces of lumber but I need you two out of danger now!”

“But isn’t Fluttershy good with animals? Perhaps she can talk them out of it?” Lyra asked nervously.

Fluttershy by now was directly in front of the lead wolf, staring down death and his wooden fangs. She might have a talent with animals but I wasn’t about to put my life in her hands, not when I have 15 rounds of 9mm that I trust more.

The creature eyed the yellow Pegasus as if it was sizing up a steak it was about to take a bite of, either Fluttershy wasn’t aware of this or was confident she’d be able to talk them down…either way until the imminent threat of being chewed on by a creature made of wood subsided my gun was staying right in my hand.

“Excuse me mister Timber wolf sir…”

I cocked the hammer back, starting a negotiation with ‘excuse me’ wasn’t a good sign. Although the slightly perplexed look on the lead wolf’s expression gave me some hope that whatever Fluttershy was doing could actually work.

“…I’m sorry to trouble you, but I know you and your friends here aren’t really supposed to be outside of the forest. So if you’d please head back to the forest we’d greatly appreciate it…if that’s ok with you…”

To say I was skeptical was an understatement.

The vibe these creatures were giving me wasn’t good, and Fluttershy’s little speech did nothing to change my opinion that things were going to go downhill real quick. By the nervous expression on the others, I could tell that they shared my skepticism. The seconds ticked by with neither Fluttershy nor the wolves making any movements…Fluttershy might’ve sensed this and decided to do some more persuading of the wolves ‘good nature’.

“Please mister wolf. You don’t really want to be out and away from the safety of the forest. What would the others think?”

I could swear that the back two wolves were sharing a look of consideration…if these things were smart enough to consider things like that. This world’s cartoonish properties were starting to annoy me…things aren’t supposed to work this way. However it looked like my human beliefs didn’t work in the land of colorful talking creatures as I watched the lead wolf turn away from Fluttershy. I couldn’t believe her little speech actually worked.

Then, just like that…it went right back to the shit.

While the wolf was turning and making us all believe it was going to head back into the forest his rear legs went back and essentially punted the poor Pegasus right back at us. It seems I couldn’t escape my usual run of luck which has somehow found me in this world.

Great, just when I think I've avoided trouble it rears its ugly head again.

“FLUTTERSHY!”

Rainbow was able to blurt her name out just seconds before the yellow Pegasus crashed right into her. The impact sent both of them flying back down the road leaving just Lyra and myself to face the very angry wood wolves.

If it’s a fight these things want, it’s a fight they’re going to get…

The lead wolf turned back around growling, I could tell it was going to charge us and I had to get Lyra out of there.

“LYRA GO NOW!”

The lead wolf bolted from his location right at me as I saw Lyra turn and hightail it back the way Fluttershy and Rainbow tumbled off too…I didn’t have much time to react before the wolf was ripping my throat out so I did the only thing I could, I jumped back.

As I did the world went into a slow motion blur, something I noticed happen to me in gun battles…never certain as to how or why but it just happened. I saw the wolf bearing down on me as the little white dot I envisioned where my aim was rested on the creatures chest. I only had a few seconds until I was on my back in the dirt so I had to make these shots count.

I pulled the trigger.

The gun kicked back in my hand as I saw the fireball erupt out of the end of the barrel. I saw the bullet creating the shockwave around it as it sailed right into the creature’s chest, it did little to effect it, as it was still coming. One bullet wasn’t going to cut it. The little white dot moved from its chest to its neck as I fired again, with minimal results as before. I was just about to hit the ground back first when I fired one last time. My perspective changed as I seemed to follow the bullet through its midair flight as it smashed into the creature’s skull, the wood splintered and cracked around the entry wound as the life drained from its eyes. It landed at the base of my feet completely motionless…Dead.

Not a moment too soon either as I landed on my back in the dirt, a move I’ve done hundreds of times in the past. The past always seems to catch up to you one way or another, and who thought I'd end up in a gunfight in a colorful world just like this. Although now was not the time to delve into the irony of it all.

The two other wolves were hesitant to move after watching their leader get dropped but I imagined the chance for food far outweighed their fears of death as they bolted past me in the direction I saw the three girls head. I knew they would be in trouble if these two block heads caught up to them, I already had four dead girls and one kidnapped under my belt and I wasn’t going to add to my tally.

I scrambled to my feet as quickly as a middle aged man in my shape could and started rushing after the two wolves. I almost immediately spotted my first clue that the girls had at least made it out of the area, the two indents in the ground that were after Fluttershy’s sudden flight into Rainbow. I also spotted another set of hoof marks near the indents, Lyra found them. At least they were together, their three heads might be better able to fend off the two wolves rather than waiting for my drunken self to arrive and shoot holes in anything that moved.

Thankfully I wasn’t drunk enough to forget the way we came here, and figured they’d head back the same way. A giant tree house library really seemed to be the best location to hide from creatures made of wood, perhaps they’d think it was a relative of some sorts and leave…

One could only hope they would be that stupid.

I heard some commotion in the distance that had to be them…I kept my gun in my hand as I ran towards the source, hoping that I wasn’t going to run into a grisly scene. As I ran down the street the once dark homes started to come back to life. The ruckus my discharging firearm caused probably waking the residents from their sound slumber.

I was closing the distance, the chances of two separate timber wolf attacks going on in this sleepy little town were slim but weirder things have happened in my life. I cut right down a smaller alley as I neared the source of the noise, in hindsight it wasn’t a good idea but I’m more of a dumb idea kind of guy…and running down an alley in a town I only remember through a drunken haze walking through was one of my better dumb ideas.

Not surprisingly the alleyway dead ended with a small waste high fence that ended up overlooking the tree library that proved my hunch right. At the front door of the library Lyra and Fluttershy were busy knocking furiously hoping to get Twilight’s attention while Rainbow stood her ground between them and the advancing Timberwolves. I admired her bravery and loyalty to her friends, even if it ended up getting her killed.

The wolves were a good ten feet away from Rainbow and they were staggered which gave me a great angle on them, only I was at least twenty yards too far. I had to think of something otherwise I’d be looking at another massacre on my hands.

Then my luck went from bad to worse as the front door of the library opened.

“Girls what is all the commotion-AHHH!!!”

Twilights scream seemed to motivate the wolves even more as they looked at each other. I knew that they were moments away from charging them, if I was going to act it had to be now.

I caught sight of the clothesline currently drying sheets that hung from the corner of one house over to the lamppost that was halfway between it and the library. I wasn’t sure if it was close enough but I didn’t have a choice...I turned back and ran a short distance down the alley before I ran as fast as I could towards the fence. I only had one shot at this so I had to make it count.

I jumped and then used the fence as an added boost, propelling myself further up as I grabbed the sheet with my left hand as I started sliding towards the lamppost as I watched what the wolves were doing, unfortunately I wasn’t paying attention to how quickly I was approaching the lamppost until I crashed into it. I hit with enough force to start toppling it over…

“God-dammit!”

I didn’t have time to think, the commotion was enough to get everyone’s attention so I just had to do what I do best. The fall with the lamppost slowed as it had before when the lead wolf charged me. I drew a bead on the nearest wolf and watched the white dot cross its chest before I pulled the trigger. Unlike the first wolf, I wasn’t going to watch my ammo, I was shooting until they were both dead. I watched in the slow motion fall to the ground as I fired five rounds at the first wolf, impacting it in its body and neck. I then switched to the further wolf and continued firing. The nearest wolf was already out of action as three rounds tore into the remaining wolf. The fourth round I fired I watched the slow rotation of the bullet as it zipped through the air and smashed into the wolf’s skull. It joined his companion in a heap on the ground leaking fluids all over the grass.

Just as I finished firing the lamppost smashed into the ground and sent me rolling up to the four shocked ponies. My gun still gripped in my hand as I fell onto my stomach in front of them, all completely shocked of what I did to the wolves that were chasing them.

“Oh my goodness, Max are you alright?!” I heard Twilight practically scream at me.

I can’t say I blamed her for yelling, but it wasn’t doing my splitting headache any good.

“Yeah, I’m fine…I could use a drink though…”

“What did you do to them?” She continued as she looked at the dead Timberwolves.

I still couldn’t believe the literal names they have here. Timber wolves actually made of timber…what the hell’s next, these princesses of theirs control the sun and moon? Do they control the weather here too? I wasn’t sure how much of this I was going to be able to take…at least sober.

“…you…you did it didn’t you…” I heard Fluttershy ask.

I looked up at her and immediately wished I didn’t. The quiet Pegasus had tears in her eyes, her lower lip quivered as if threatening to burst out into tears. I could see similar looks on Lyra and Rainbow as I slowly got to my feet.

“I didn’t have a choice…”

“Wait, what didn’t you have a choice for? Max what’s going on here?” Twilight asked.

She was still trying to figure out what happened, and judging by the ever growing crowd outside the library so was the rest of the town. My welcome may officially have been worn out unless they can see things from my perspective, then again if they did there would be many more unhappy, drunk, bitter and angry ponies in this town then there was. And I highly doubted there were many in this town as it was.

I could read the looks on all their faces, they wanted answers and I wasn’t in the mood to give it to them. Frankly I had enough for one day in this place, I needed a drink. Without acknowledging the growing crowd of ponies or Twilights curious looks and turned towards the Library, passing Lyra, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash as I did.

“Now you know why I didn't tell you…”

That’s all I told them, not even caring if they wanted to talk to me. I’ve had enough talking. I closed the Library door behind me and grabbed another jug Applejack left for my consumption and started to drink. I sat down on the stairs as I set the jug back on the ground, only then did I realize I still had my gun in my hand. As I went to slide it into the holster on my chest I caught sight of movement at the top of the stairs.

It was Spike, looking at me with the same expression all the ponies outside wore.

“Max, what’s going on?”

“You’ll find out tomorrow Spike…I’m going to bed…”

The dragon looked at me completely unconvinced, he was probably going to go find out seconds after I found somewhere to fall asleep.

“Well, alright then. The one wing of the Library is open, Twilight got some blankets and pillows for you…”

“Right, thanks…”

I sure stepped in the shit this time. I figured if I was going to be hanged in the morning I might as well try to get some sleep. Maybe I’ll get lucky and wake up back in my apartment in Brazil. As I was to find out, luck wasn’t on my side…then again it never was…

-----

“What in the name of my sister happened here?”

Princess Luna’s night was usually pretty uneventful, something that she was glad for most of the time. Nothing bad has ever happened at night for the past two years she’s been back, so for something of this magnitude to happen was not only a change of pace, but completely unexpected.

She heard the small explosions from the throne room, mostly because of her hearing and because the night was so quiet such a noise was easily heard even if she and her sister didn’t have their better than the average pony’s hearing. Now she was standing just outside of Fluttershy’s residence looking down at the lifeless body of a Timber wolf. She arrived in Ponyville moments after her guards did, they were busy getting information and making sure no pony got too close to the bodies. It was something the guards rarely had to do and she knew it. And now they had three dead Timberwolves from a yet unknown source and at least four shaken up ponies, not to mention the questions and concerns the townsfolk had. This ‘quiet night’ was now anything but.

One of her Night Guards approached her, bowing his head as he came to a stop near her.

“Lieutenant Night Wing, what have you found?”

The Lieutenant rose back up before he addressed her.

“Princess, one of the Unicorn guards found these nearby.”

He lifted up his left wing to show her the three brass cylinders. Luna used her magic to grab the cylinders from his wing and moved them up to her face to closer examine them.

“Hmm, brass cylinders…with what look like burn marks inside and…is this engraved on the bottom?”

“We believe so Princess, we also heard word that there are more of these at the second location where the other two bodies are.”

“And these other two bodies are by the Library?”

“Correct, we still have the four witnesses inside the Library…so far it seems like there’s another creature responsible for this.”

“I have heard the murmurs Lieutenant, something about a tall creature that walks on two legs?”

“They say it’s called a ‘Human Being’, and it has a name.”

Luna knew about the human being in Equestria already. She was part of the meeting her sister called when she received both of Twilight Sparkles letters regarding the human’s arrival. And this isn’t exactly the first time a human has come to their land…although only the two princesses and a handful of guards who’ve seen them. Some of the cases of these humans arrival have been mysterious, but this most recent one showing up wasn’t a real surprise to Celestia or herself. But that’s something between them…and maybe this human…

Luna turned the cylinders around to read the bottom of them;

‘9mm Luger’…I’ve seen these before…

She looked back at the dead Timber wolf, noticing the only hole was in the back of its skull. And it was much too large to be an entrance wound going off the size of the casings. That would also go against all the evidence they had as far as hoof and paw prints at the scene were concerned. She had a general idea of what happened here, and at the other site even though she hadn’t even been here on scene very long. Part of an Alicorn's intuition if you will.

“Three of these, yet only one hole…what appears to be an exit wound at that I believe?”

The Lieutenant nodded in agreement.

“May I turn it over?”

Night Wing nodded his head as he stepped back to give the Princess of the Night some room to turn the remains over. Her blue glow covered it as it slowly rotated to show its underside. Sure enough once the underside was exposed the two entry wounds in the torso were visible to them.

“Whatever was used to kill these wolves came from these casings Lieutenant, and I’m betting that these two are still inside.”

“I’ll have the medical staff at the Castle extract them once the bodies are on their way.”

“Very good Lieutenant, although I believe that the human has more of these that we can examine. For now Night Wing, walk me through the scene…”

“Very well Princess…”

Being one of Luna’s Night Guards was more than just fancy reptilian eyes and Bat-like features…Luna required her guards to be overly observant amongst other things. Figuring out a crime scene such as this was something that would allow her to see how well her training protocols were being followed since most of the guard have been trained while she was otherwise preoccupied…on the moon.

“A few hours ago three mares left the Ponyville library in order to head home, this ‘human’ accompanied them.”

“And as to why the human was accompanying them?”

“The fourth mare, Miss Twilight Sparkle said it was to make sure they all got home.”

She nodded her head at Night Wing as she started walking off towards Ponyville. Night Wing was soon by her side, and another of her guards soon appeared at her other side.

Normally she didn’t need her guards to escort her around, but given the events of the night it was understandable that they wanted to protect her against any similar experience.

“They proceeded to this home when the Timberwolves showed up, a scuffle happened that involved one of the mare’s getting kicked into another, and then charging the group.”

“And whatever weapon the human had was able to stop the threat of mauling…”

“Correct Princess, it appears as though it managed to fall down either before or after the initial scuffle. The ground is matted and otherwise disturbed in that area there.”

“Alright, so the human fell and managed to kill one of the Timberwolves and after that they all ran back to the library. Is that correct Lieutenant?”

“Actually no Princess…”

Luna allowed a slight smirk to appear at the corner of her mouth. She’d have to thank her sister on keeping up her training protocols while she was away. The guard, especially her guard was always taught to explain the facts even if what the Princesses said to the contrary of the facts was incorrect. It may seem like insubordination to those outside the guard circle, but it’s how they were trained.

“…The other mare went off after the two that were taken out by the first Timber wolf; we believe this was on the human’s insistence to get them out of harm’s way.”

“A very noble gesture this human exhibited.”

“Quite, anyway it is in this period where the first wolf was taken down. And the remaining two wolves chased after the three mares back to the Library. There they tried to get inside before the wolves got to them when the human again showed up and dispatched the wolves.”

“Very astute Lieutenant…good to see you haven’t lost your touch.”

“I’ll admit it’s been a while Ma’m but it does feel good to have something happen where I can resort to my training. That and no pony was hurt.”

“Always looking for the silver lining aren’t you Lieutenant?”

Luna chuckled as Lt. Night Wing gave Lt. Dark Cloud a cold stare, something his fellow Lieutenant ignored. They were the guard, but that didn’t mean they had to be serious all the time. Something else she’d have to thank her sister for.

That’d have to wait till later as the three of them walked up to the Library. There were a few towns pony’s still milling around, although most left by now. All that remained was another small grouping of guards watching the scene and a few more probably inside with the four mares.

“So Night Wing, if the human arrived here again how exactly did he arrive?”

“Allow me Night Wing; you’ve explained enough for tonight. I got this one.” Lt. Dark Cloud said, earning another glare from Night Wing.

“Night Wing, why don’t you go check on Library, make sure every pony’s comfortable…”

Night Wing sighed.

“As you wish Princess…”

Luna and Dark Cloud watched as Night Wing walked into the library and closed the door behind him.

“Honestly Dark Cloud, must you keep annoying your fellow Lieutenant?”

“Annoying? Princess I’m quite frankly shocked and disgusted you would accuse me of such a thing. Night Wing takes things way too seriously…he needs to lighten up a bit. It’s not all doom and gloom you know?”

Luna raised an eyebrow at her Lieutenant.

“Ok, so tonight is doom and gloom but he’s like this every night…”

“I know Lieutenant, I know…but now isn’t the time to discuss how uptight your fellow Lieutenant is.”

“Right, sorry Princess…”

Luna turned to look away from Dark Cloud, only so she could let her smile show…although she caught sight of a light post that was toppled over.

“Lieutenant, why is that light post on the ground?”

“That, Princess is how I believe our human showed up on the scene.”

“Well, walk me through your theory Cloud.”

“Gladly…There was a clothes line hanging between the lamp post and that house there. I believe the human made a wrong turn which landed him in that alley way looking over the Library. It was just in time to witness the wolves approach the mares so in an act of quick thinking it leapt onto the line and slid it down to the post and took out the wolves there before rolling off the lamp and in front of the mares.”

Luna blinked a few times as she processed that information.

“That sounds like something out of a movie Dark Cloud, are you going to tell me he slowed down time to?”

“Don’t give me that look Princess, the Unicorns on the scene found tear marks on one of the sheets that was hanging from the line, the fence over there is worn from some pony stepping on it and all of those brass casings were found around the lamp post. It may sound farfetched but all the evidence points that way.”

“Well, truth can be stranger than fiction…”

Luna turned back from the fallen lamp post to where the two other Timberwolves lay. She was thinking over what Dark Cloud said, not surprisingly the theory held water. The line of sight was good, and with the way the wolves were laying out there it made sense the human would use his weapon to bring them down where they stood. It also added another part to the theory, one that could be confirmed by talking to the ponies in the Library.

“Ok Lieutenant, let us go interview the ponies involved.”

“Gladly Princess, what of the remains and the clues we’ve found?”

“Have the remains sent back to the castle, have Dr Silver Scalpel take care of the Autopsy on the three. The casings bring back to the main room of the castle, my sister will want to have a look at them.”

“As you wish Princess…”

Lt. Dark Cloud went off to tell the other members of the guard what she just told him. She watched him head off before she walked to the front door of the library and knocked. As soon as she finished the door opened allowing her entrance.
Inside two more of her guards watched over the four mares and one dragon. They were tired and looked scared, but they were safe.

Lt. Night Wing approached her with a displeased look on his face.

“Did Dark Cloud tell you his preposterous theory as to what happened with the light post?”

“He most certainly did Lieutenant and for your information he’s right.”

“I knew he-wait what?”

“His theory of the human using the clothes line and knocking the lamp down makes perfect sense…did you not see it yourself?”

“That wasn’t what he told me! When I get my hooves on him I’m gonna-“

“Now isn’t the time Lieutenant, now how are they doing?”

Luna wasn’t in the mood for Night Wings hard attitude, perhaps Dark Cloud was right about him…but now wasn’t the time to think about that. Night Wing sighed before he continued.

“They’re calm; they were making small talk with Private Updraft over there when I came in. I was just about to give him a scolding about breaking protocol when you came in Princess.”

“Honestly Night Wing, you really need to loosen up. Now let me talk to them, you and Updraft wait outside.”

Night Wing ground his teeth as he frowned he motioned for the Private to follow him as they both stepped out of the library.

“Twilight, how are you and your friends doing?”

“Ok I guess Princess…is what your guards said true?”

“You’ll have to be more specific Twilight. What did my guards tell you? “

Before Twilight could answer Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“It wasn’t his fault, he was just protecting us!”

“It’s true, he wanted us to leave so he could cover us…whatever that means…” The mint green Unicorn said…

Fluttershy remained quiet.

“He?” Luna asked.

“Yes Princess, his name is Max Payne…we don’t know how he got here and we were trying to find out how to send him back
home…” Twilight said.

That name, Luna knew that name…

“Where is this Max Payne now?”

“He went to bed…” Twilight said sadly.

“No need to be sad Twilight Sparkle, I shall talk with this Max Payne in the morning. In fact, I’m going to need you all at the castle tomorrow.”

“What?” The four mares said.

“Yes, all of you, including your other friends Twilight. We have much to discuss.”

“Princess, we aren’t in trouble for looking after Max are we? Oh please don’t banish us!”

The room became deadly silent as Fluttershy, Lyra, and Rainbow Dash stared daggers at Twilight…who only now just realized what she said.

Apparently tonight was also a night for Luna to chuckle at many things, because that’s exactly what she did.

“No Twilight, you’re not in trouble. We need to talk about this Max Payne, and at the castle we could better figure out how to send him home.”

Relief washed over Twilight and the others.

“But wait, we each have so much to do, all of us…” Fluttershy said before she realized everyone was looking at her.

“..But we can go its fine…”

“Not to worry dear Fluttershy, I have an idea.”

“You do?” Twilight asked.

“Just have to run it by my sister, but it should be fine. Now I’ll see you all later, I’m sure you want to get some sleep after this experience.”

The Mares nodded, Spike for his part, was already on his way upstairs to his bed.

“I’ll have a few of my guard’s escort you home, and I’ll send for a carriage to take you all to Canterlot tomorrow. Try to get some sleep girls.”

Luna exited the library and motioned for Night Wing and Dark Cloud.

“I want a guard to escort each of them home just to be safe, I also want two guards here all night.”

“Understood Princess.” Night Wing said.

“We have the remains loaded up and both scenes cleared of any evidence, Silver Scalpel should be ready for an autopsy in the morning.” Dark Cloud added.

“Excellent, tomorrow I want a carriage sent here to pick up the elements, that green Unicorn and the human and take them to Canterlot Castle. My sister and I will be having a word with them there.”

“Not a problem” Dark Cloud said, earning a scowl from Night Wing.

That scowl told Luna what she needed to do, sure her sister would go along with her idea but with Night Wings attitude it wouldn’t hurt to let them know of it now.

“And being that these ponies will be away from their jobs and families, I’m going to have the guards fill in for them in their absence. Starting with you two…”

“WHAT?!?”

Both Lieutenants had shocked expressions on their faces, clearly not expecting that twist.

“It’s only fair, these ponies step away from home time and time again to save Equestria so it is your Royal duty to make sure things don’t get tougher for them once they come back.”

“But Princess I-“

“No buts Lieutenant Night Wing, we’ll discuss this later. For now we need to head back to the castle…”

Night Wing hung his head and sighed, making Dark Cloud grin at his partner’s miserable state.

“Lighten up Wingy, could be fun…”

Wingy? Dark Cloud when we get back-“

"Enough bickering Lieutenants, you have a job to do.”

“Sorry Princess, you heard her let’s get moving!” Night Wing said.

Luna shook her head, she hoped that this plan of hers would help with lightening up the more ‘serious’ of the guards. Being by the book all the time does wear on a pony. It didn’t take the two Lieutenants long to pass the orders to the other guards as they soon rejoined her.

“Orders relayed Princess” Dark Cloud said.

“Very good, now let us return to the castle.”

“As you wish…” Night Wing said.

Normally when a Princess travels they usually use a carriage with two Pegasus ponies pulling it, however being this was a sudden incident she decided to forgo the carriage, she could get there in the same amount of time by herself. Without missing a beat the three of them took to the air, both Lt’s were on either side of her as they flew high above Ponyville and started towards the castle.

“Princess, can I ask you a question?” Lt. Dark Cloud asked.

“Sure thing Dark Cloud, what’s on your mind?”

“You weren’t really in the library that long to talk to them, is everything alright?”

“Everything is quite alright Lieutenant; I just received some information that was more insightful than I anticipated.”

“What kind of information Princess?”

“All will be revealed in the morning Dark Cloud, just be patient.”

Indeed, she didn’t spend a lot of time with Twilight and her friends finding out their side of the story. However what she did get was all she really needed.

Max Payne…

She knew that name, she’s seen the dreams…this was who was in Equestria. This is who she brought to Equestria. There are things going on all over the kingdom that needed an outsiders touch, the wolves tonight were only the tip of the iceberg. She knew why she brought Max Payne to their world, but her sister did not. This was going to take some convincing on her part, especially since there were three dead creatures to muddy the issue of her having him assist in some of the discoveries they’ve made.

The rest of the flight back to the castle went smoothly, upon touching down she bid her guards farewell and did express to Night Wing the repercussions of strangling a fellow guard…she didn’t actually think he would follow up on his threats but reminding him of how ‘against’ the guards code it was made sure it didn’t happen.

She walked slowly down one of the many hallways to her sisters chambers. Nodding to her sisters own detachment of guards standing right outside her door she brought a hoof up to knock on the door.

“Come in!”

Celestia’s voice was cheerful as usual. Luna carefully made her way inside her sister’s room, seeing her sister laying down on one of her large throw rugs with a stack of parchments and scrolls by her side.

Even at this late hour her sister was still up going over some form of paperwork needed to keep the kingdom running smoothly she surmised.

“Ah Luna, what brings you to my room at such an hour?” Celestia asked.

“Oh we have much to discuss dear sister…”

“…Much to discuss.”