• Published 9th May 2015
  • 3,094 Views, 89 Comments

The Wander Through Lands Unknown - Tomas Lutwig



Lost in a world of uncertainty with prior knowledge can seem like you know what you're doing, but that is almost never true.

  • ...
25
 89
 3,094

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2; A Familiar Face with Unexpected Results

Light, warmth, these were the first things I felt as I returned to 'the world of the living' as they say. Opening my eyes I felt like I was just waking up, but I couldn't remember going to sleep, looking in front of my I saw a dwindling bonfire, bones and other ash strewn at the bottom of a large sword who's tip was white hot in the ashes keeping the flame alive.

Curled up into a ball more or less in front of the fire my spear tucked into the crease of my arm. I started to dose off for a moment only for a strange noise to grab my attention making me look around eyes wide.

A dark forest surrounded me, the small clearing even completely shrouded in darkness making it look more like a cave than a forest. The light cast only just made it to the nearest trees making the point past the near black colored bark of the trees.

Terror crept into my mind faster than it ever had before. 'Oh dear Lord, please let me be dreaming' I silently prayed. I looked to my hands and found that it was nearly invisible, a lone thing stood out among all the other things though.

The ring of fog sat there on my middle finger. The familiarity of it might've given me some kind of solace, but now it only terrified me more.

'It works...' I thought looking through my hand to the bonfire I sat in front of. Jumping up quickly from my position I let my spear fall to the ground with a dull thud. Looking to the item now on the ground I remembered the foam head.

Reaching onto my back in panic I found the red and black backpack still sat on my shoulders. After fumbling to get it off, since the shield was in the way, I dropped the shield to the ground next to me. The zipper nearly broke as I fumbled to get it open and moving things around I found the spearhead. “Thank God” I whispered to myself, before grabbing the weapon and unscrewing the top. Looking around I noticed that there wasn't anyone around, whatever had made the noise was either hiding, waiting to pounce, or possibly my imagination.

After a second I looked back down at the foam tip I had been frantically unscrewing and unscrewing. Putting the foam one in the bag just in case, I screwed on the real tip. Before putting the small pin into the hole that had been drilled through to hold it in place. Replacing my backpack on my back, I stood holding the spear with both hands.

Looking back down for a second I grabbed the handle of the shield holding the strap as well making sure it didn't catch on anything.

Looking around nerves still firing almost nonstop I looked towards the only place that seemed to be a pathway out of this clearing as the trees were while thin enough to walk through, too thick to make a clear path.

Swallowing hard, I inched away from the bonfire. After what felt like much to long, I reached the edge of the darkness. I waited for a moment to let my eyes adjust so that I could see. The darkness of the forest beyond looked little different from the forests I had seen in passing going through Flagstaff.

Dread continued to seep from me as I closed my eyes for a moment and let out a breath before stepping out into the dark. It felt cool on my face, as I looked around. I tried to shut out my fear, knowing that it was dangerous out here and that fear would only get me hurt.

Taking a few more steps out, I encountered no resistance. Nerves calming slightly, I looked back to the warmth of the bonfire, I felt a pull towards it, knowing it was safe, but I knew I couldn't stay there forever.

I traveled deeper into the forest leaves and branches occasionally crunching under foot, making sure to pay close attention to my surroundings. Trees seemed to develop faces in the hollows and crevices making them look sinister.

An odd crunch alerted me of something behind me, but I turned too late, only in time to catch a large monstrosity pouncing on me. Arms pinned at my side I looked up in horror at the face of a large lion, black bat like wings were only barely visible in the small amount of light that seemed to shine through the leaves above.

A triumphant roar filled the forest followed by the creature looking back down at me. I struggled, attempting to free my arms and even kicked the creature once, but it quickly grew tired of my useless attempts for freedom.

The creature leaned slightly, and I saw in a flash of pain a black stinger quickly descend and return to it's place. My body grew hot quickly and my vision clouded. After a moment I thought of screaming, but my throat had dried too quickly, only giving me a quiet rasp.

I looked on at the creature, my mind too clouded to do anything now. I could only watch is it's mouth opened, and seemingly in slow motion descend upon my throat. There was a searing pain and I found I was unable to breath, lying on the ground gasping the lion creature started it's meal.


Opening my eyes slowly, I found myself sitting in front of the bonfire once more. Stumbling back in shock, only one thing came to mind. 'I had just died' I thought sitting up and looking at the bonfire. Looking out into the forest once more, I saw something, a glimmer of light in the distance, and after a moment I saw it. The creature seemed to be walking around the shimmer as if angry at my disappearance.

A thought came to mind that made my blood run cold. Quickly taking off one of my gloves I looked at it in the firelight. My skin had turned a sickly shade of pink, looking at the back of it I noticed the bones poking out to an almost ridiculous degree. “No...” I said falling to my knees.

All that I had read returned, The curse of the undead, hollow, everything. Anger filled where previously had been despair. Looking out into the forest, I noticed the monster was still pacing.

Returning my glove I looked to my weapons that laid near where I had fallen. Retrieving them I snuck out into the forest lusting for blood of the lion creature that had spilt my own.

Despite my attempts to keep quiet, it seems that branches were scattered everywhere. Cracking one under foot was enough to turn the creature's attention to me. Staying where I was to keep from making anymore noise as it approached I readied to attack. Moving my spear perfectly in line to where I planned to attack the monster closed in on me.

After a moment I lunged the spear taking it right in the eye. My weapon was wrenched from grasp as the creature reared back for a moment. As it came back down, I slammed my shield into the butt of the spear sending it further into the lion's eye and brain. A small mewing noise escaped it before it collapsed a strange flow of something seemed to come into me, but it was barely noticed.

Pulling the weapon from the creature's socket seemed to be a tedious endeavor as the two wings below the head were trapped in the skull. Growling in annoyance, I untied my knife and started to cut away at the flesh and try breaking the bone.

While this had eventually released my spear, it had also coated me in the monster's blood. Anger fading from the task, I found confusion replaced it as I looked closer at the lion like creature.

“A manticore?” I questioned looking it over once more. “How queer...” I said before a sparkle caught my eyes.

Looking towards where I had died not moments ago, I found a puddle of blood from the wound that had killed me. A strange, yet soothing light emanated from it. Reaching down to touch it the light seemed to rush into my gloved hand, making me feel as though something had returned to me that had been missing.

Looking behind to the bonfire, I shook my head. 'I need to get out of here' I thought following the path that seemed to be stamped out from the grass around it.


The forest was populated by creatures of different kinds, I saw a chicken headed creature that I recognized as a cockatrice which sent shivers down my spine. Another was a pack of wolves that seemed normal enough chasing what looked like a deer of some kind through the forest until one was barreled into a tree causing it to shatter into pieces of wood that reformed and followed the rest of the pack making my heart sink lower. Timberwolves...

I passed a familiar looking hut made from a strange looking tree, though the light from it showed multiple bottles hanging from nearby vines, as well as a single mask that was propped up against one of the roots. A heavy sigh escaped me, perhaps here would be best.

Sneaking up to the window, I listened carefully. A small amount of noise was heard from inside, not far from boiling of water and the pouring of liquids into another. Readying myself I took off my ring, placing it the bag on my belt before putting the shield over my head and onto my backpack.

An idea came to mind before I knocked on the door. Going to my knees I laid my spear on my thighs, reaching up I knocked three times before lowering my face to the ground to hide it.

“How strange, nopony has bothered this late before” I heard the say before light shined on me, “Who are you that kneels as if poor?” she then asked.

I answered without raising my head, “Pardon my rudeness, as well as my appearance, I wish to request a sanctuary if you will” I said trying to think of something to rhyme. “I understand if you wish not, but I mean no ill” I finished, glad I could think of one for once.

“I cannot offer this sanctuary if you hide. Please rise, that I can tell if you may abide” she replied.

Retrieving my spear I stood before looking at her. The zebra looked perhaps four foot, though being a the top of the stairs gave the illusion of extra height. Stripes lined her otherwise light gray body. Multiple gold bands were around her neck as well as a number on her right hoof. A striped mohawk stuck from her head similar in color to her coat, if the gray a little lighter. In her eyes shown fear as she looked at me no doubt terrified of the blood coating my hands, clothing and spear, but also of my no doubt worn and decrepit looking face.

A scream echoed through the forest before I turned and ran away from the hut replacing my ring on my finger, a sigh sounded from me unheard by all besides myself.

PreviousChapters Next