• Published 9th May 2015
  • 3,094 Views, 89 Comments

The Wander Through Lands Unknown - Tomas Lutwig



Lost in a world of uncertainty with prior knowledge can seem like you know what you're doing, but that is almost never true.

  • ...
25
 89
 3,094

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32; A Time of Sorrow

A few hours later, the party wound down as the sun set. It had surprised me that the party had gone for so long seeing as how there were only eight guests, but as it seems, Pinkie Pie and Discord were a great pair of party planners.

“Ohhh! This was fun! Though we should invite more ponies when your house is finished for your 'Welcome to Ponyville Party'!” Pinkie said, hopping around in circles, still seemingly full of energy while her friends looked like they were about ready for bed.

I let out a chuckle before shaking my head, “If you say so Pinkie, honestly I was under the assumption this was my welcome party.” I said, about ready to pass out myself, seeing as how after a losing streak I was forced to run around the clearing. While not overly taxing the first few times, after the losing streak only continued I had managed around fifty laps around the clearing much to the amusement of the other guests.

Pinkie Pie shook her head as she stopped bouncing, smile not diminishing in the least. “Oh no no no! This was your 'Congratulations on getting out of jail party'!” She said standing on her hind hooves and throwing her hooves out wide.

I raised an eyebrow at the pink mare. “She did say that before we started” the uncharacteristically calm voice of Discord sounded behind me making me turn to see him laying on the last remaining table, tossing his head up into the air before letting it fall back down to his waiting grasp.

I gaped at the scene for a moment before shaking off the confusion. 'It's Discord, expect the unexpected' I thought. “I cannot attest to the accuracy of that seeing as how I have no memory of it” I said crossing my arms as I watched the strange game of catch.

“Memory or no, when your house is finished we shall hold the grandest of welcome parties. One of such magnificence that you shall remember it your whole life!” Pinkie said, making me turn to face the mare who's smile had spread further across her face. “I'll have to start planning immediately! Quick! What's your favorite color!?”

I stepped back as the mare got closer, “Um, I'm partial to gray and turquoise?” I said, unsure the reason for the seemingly random question.

A hoof came to her chin as she started stroking an invisible beard and muttering to herself. As soon as the strange actions had come to her they vanished, “Well anywhoo! We'll be around when your house is done!” she said hopping off into the forest.

I gaped at the mare, holding a hand out for her to come back as questions started forming in my head faster than I could register them. “I... wha... why?” I started before I felt a hoof pat my hand.

Turning, I saw Twilight with an understanding look on her face. “It's Pinkie Pie remember?” she said simply making my face fall into my hands and letting out a groan into my palm.

After a moment to regain myself, Discord excused himself, offering me a claw-shake which to my surprise didn't have a joy buzzer hiding in it. “I'll see you around Wanderer” he said with a sincere smile.

“Likewise” I said returning his smile. 'Well after all that him and the girls had been through, maybe he's willing to make more friends than just the six of them?' I wondered as the draconequus disappeared in a flash of light, taking the remaining table with him.

Turning around, I watched as the majority of the group vacated. “I guess I'll see you around, I mean you're not as big a loser as I thought” Rainbow said as she was starting out of the clearing only for Twilight to start heckling her about calling others 'losers'.

I rolled my eyes at the fading form of the cyan mare, giving my farewells to the others, stopping Rarity to ask if she could perhaps show me a thing or two about sewing.

“Well... I am actually going to be quite busy with the winter line coming out soon, but if you're really interested, I might be able to put aside some time after before the Hearts and Hooves day sales” She said, hints of nervousness and distaste with the idea showing in her eyes.

I felt the smile on my face falter for a moment, “I understand” I said waving a hand like it didn't matter, “Perhaps another time then”

The emotion behind the words were hidden well as Rarity nodded a civil smile coming to her face, “Thank you for understanding” she said before bowing her head in farewell “Goodnight”

I returned the gesture with a small pang of sadness in my stomach, but pushed it aside giving the others varieties of “Goodnight” or “Have a good one, I'll see you later”. As the last of the ponies left the clearing, I looked back at my things, piled neatly by the bonfire.

'I suppose I can't really blame her' I thought walking over and sitting next to the flames, picking through the things in my bad before deciding I would use my coat as a pillow. 'After the crap I put them through, I would really want to hang around with me much either. Though I suppose that would leave to question if the rest were feeling the same'

I removed the cuirass before going for the coat resting on my shoulders and started folding it up, making sure to remove the metal plates from the shoulders placing them in my bag before putting it on the ground and laying my head on top of it. As soon as my head touched my makeshift pillow, an electrical pulse rocked my body sending me to a sitting position. Looking down at the folded coat I saw what looked to be a small coin that had half a cylinder raised in the middle of it with a small button on top. Picking up the silver item, I pushed down on the top which delivered another zap through my finger making me jerk it back.

A smile came to my face as I looked around the forest, the faintest sound of laughter echoing through the trees.



Leaves rustling in the wind brought back my consciousness. Opening my eyes, I blinked a few times before my senses came. A calm smile fell across my face as I looked at the stars that shown from the opening in the forest canopy.

'Almost too good to be true' I thought sitting up stretching before running gloved hands down my face in an attempt to rub away the sleep. After popping a few joints that a slight pain echoed from I got to my feet, shaking off the coat before putting it on and strapping the spaulders back to the shoulders. 'Still not quite use to this thing' I thought picking up the old cuirass and looking it over before shaking my head and putting it on. 'I suppose I'll have to go talk to Strong Horn and Iron Arm sometime and smooth things out, if I ever want to make requests for gear that is'

Putting the thoughts of my old mentors from my mind, I looked to my things. After a moment of internal debate, I decided it would be best to leave the backpack at the clearing seeing as how I would be back here later. Pulling out the necessities, I left one of the newly sharpened axes and most of what was in the pack behind along with my spear which I still needed a few tools to finish.

I looped the strap of my shield around my arm a few times, plopped the copper plumed helmet onto my head, and tucked the extra war axe into my belt before starting out of the clearing towards the edge of the Everfree forest.

The forest was quiet this morning, much to my surprise. The memory of being killed by a manticore returning as I passed the section of path where my first death had taken place. I let out a sigh at the memory and the chain of events that had brought me to the point I was as I walked down the forest path.

The memory did remind me that the forest was not to be trusted, a thought which was encouraged by it's fear inducing appearance. Drawing my axe, my eyes darted around, scanning for anything out of place. If there was anything hiding in the shrubbery and trees, it stayed silent and completely still as only the rustling of leaves was heard. Relaxing slightly, I continued down the path, axe still hanging from my hand with the shield on the other.

'Perhaps when I get a forge going I should make another one of these' I thought, looking down at the battered wooden shield with it's dented boss. 'Then again, one of the nicest things about these types of shields is the ability to simply replace the old-'

The sound of the bushes rustling to my back tore me from my thoughts and made me whirl around, weapon and defense ready. The rustling stopped for a moment as I stared at the bush in question before what looked to be a lion cub wandered out of it. My eyes widened slightly as the small cub looked up at me offering a weak roar brandishing a small scorpion tail on it's back and unfurling leathery wings.

As I stared at the creature, I found myself stepping back. 'If a cub is around...' I let the thought trail off letting my eyes dart around again for the parent to appear. The small manticore however was fearless in it's advances, coming towards me even as I made a careful retreat. “Scorpion babies are supposed to be more venomous... I'd rather not find out if it's the same for you” I said to the still advancing creature.

A roar caught both of our attention making our eyes widen, I looked into the forest towards the source of the roar before bolting. After a few steps I found that the small cub was frozen in place looking into the forest where the roar had emanated. Not a moment after looking back, a large manticore leapt from the forest, making me duck behind a nearby tree.

Peeking from my cover I noticed the state of the older manticore. Scars and newly made cuts covered it, matting it's ebony colored fur with even darker spots of blood. The red substance dripped from it's open maw as well as it looked down to the now cowering light brown cub. I watched, my stomach dropping as the elder of the creatures raised it's massive paw and swatted the cub launching it into a nearby tree making it give a weak mew of pain.

The grip on my axe tightened as the older manticore approached the now injured cub, it's tail moving about readying to strike. I looked around quickly to find something to distract the massive creature, a fallen branch being the first thing to come into view. Looking back at the elder creature, I reached for my magic grabbing the straight branch before hurling it towards the creature.

The wood missed it's mark, exploding instead on a tree as it flew above the manticore's head catching it's eye and making it investigate the damage to the tree before looking around for the source.

Cursing silently, I looked around again, this time finding a good sized rock. As I readied myself to throw it at the creature though, the light from my hand caught it's eye making it roar and charge at me. Thinking quickly as the manticore bounded across the path towards the tree I used for cover, I dropped the rock instead grabbing onto some of the loose dirt from the path before flinging it into the approaching creature's face before diving out of the way.

A roar of pain sounded as the manticore's eyes were clogged with dirt. It stopped it's charge trying in vain to rub the dirt from it's eyes with it's massive paws. I came around behind the blinded creature trying to be as quiet as possible only to step onto a fallen twig catching the creature's attention. I ducked below the tail of the manticore as it swung down at me, just barely avoiding the venomous tip.

As the tail came around for another swipe, I brought my shield up into the tip chopping down into one of the segments of the tail making the monster roar in pain again. A large paw quickly came around and hit me in the side sending me, like the paw's last victim, into a tree to loose my senses.

I rose unsteadily to a kneel, bracing my arms against the tree beside me. While my armor had taken most of the impact, my helmet had collided with the tree hard enough to make splotches of colors and white lights flash across my vision. As it cleared and I looked to the manticore, I saw it blinking through teary eyes as it looked at me, utter malice and contempt in it's eyes.

I rose to my feet with my shield arm against the tree. 'Gotta... end this thing quickly... Get to that... cub' I thought trying to raise my axe, which I had only just managed to keep in my grasp. The weapon felt like it weighed a ton, but with a shaking arm, I brought it up to rest on my shoulder.

The manticore took the act as a challenge, though it seemed more cautious the pain from it's still teary eyes and nearly severed tail a reminder to not underestimate me. My eyes caught the rock I was going to use before and I started to tap into the magic once again only for the manticore to charge brandishing it's rows of teeth in a snarl to rip me apart.

As the beast closed in on me, I pushed off the tree before using what strength that had returned to brign the axe into the side of the creature's head, the sharp beak opposite of the blade finding it's mark in the side of the manticore's head with a sickeningly wet 'thunk'.

The effects were immediate with the large manticore slumping as the continued momentum carried it straight into the tree I had been bracing myself on moments ago the spike's hold wrenching it from my grasp.

I fell to my knees as the manticore started convulsing lightly, loosing the confectionery treats I had partaken in last night. After a moment of coughing I wiped my mouth, unsteadily rose to my feet and went to the injured cub. I stumbled to my knees before the cub, it's side showing it was still breathing thought just barely, but four long gashes oozed blood that congealed in it's fur. I let out a breath nodding to the cub, some of my balance returning to me as I went to the elder creature to retrieve my weapon.

After being forced to shatter the skull with the before seen rock to break the suction that the gray matter had formed on the beak of the axe, I pulled it free before tucking it into my belt unceremoniously. Returning to the cub, I gathered it up, righting myself before starting at a brisk pace towards the only equine I hoped could help.



My breaths sounded no better than the injured manticore cub when I reached the edge of the forest. Eyes darting around, searching for the cottage I knew should be there. A small plume of smoke from over a hill showed to the location. Pushing my tired body, I jogged towards the hill and over it finding the reason for my search.

A pink tail stuck out from the entrance to the chicken coop and a muffled voice could be heard from inside, but I didn't catch any of what was being said. “Fluttershy!” I shouted with what remained of my breath as I stumbled down the hill, managing to fall on my back stunning my diaphragm, but keeping the injured cub from becoming any moreso than he was.

A squeak followed by the sound of surprised chickens was heard as I lied down on my back, trying to regain my breath. The sounds of chickens became louder as wingbeats approached. Finally able to breath again, I rolled over on my arm and pushed myself up to see the waiting butter pegasus who wore a look of absolute horror. “There... was an attack...” I managed to sputter out showing the injured cub in my arm.

“Oh my... Oh no oh no oh no!” I heard the quiet pegasus say as she gently took the bundle from my arm. I watched as Fluttershy rushed back into her cottage, nearly a pink and yellow blur. Bracing myself with my arms, I regained my breath before looking myself over.

My cuirass was dented rather substantially where the manticore had hit me and looking at my shield, I found that it was barely handing on, the metal rim around it being the only thing keeping it from splitting and falling apart completely. Rising to my weak legs, I slowly made my way to the pegasus' cottage. My balance slowly returned, allowing me to keep from falling down onto the unforgiving ground anymore than I had already. Pain laced up my side making me reach over and fumble at the buckle only to find that it had been bent to a point where it wouldn't move. Switching my attention to my other side, I undid the buckle before undoing the one at my shoulder allowing the cuirass to slide from it's place and onto the ground with a clack as the metal impacted the earth. My hand clutched at my side as the pain intensified, looking down at the hand at my side, I was glad to see there wasn't any blood spilling from a wound, though I knew there was some major bruising.

'I think I know why they worse such thick gambesons with the chainmail on top of that before they put plates on' I thought squeezing my eyes shut at the pain that shot up my side even to take a breath. Turning to look back into the forest I shook my head. 'Make sure the stupid reason I'm injured is going to survive first' I decided turning from the dark forest and towards the cottage.

Sweat poured down my face as I pushed open the door. The kitchen stood before me, the quaintness might've brought warmth to my heart if the pain didn't shut it out before it could appear. Fluttershy was bandaging up the small cub, tightening the white strap around it's chest making the cub mew softly in pain.

“Oh I know it hurts, but it's going to be alright, I cleaned it out and got your bandaged up, you'll be fine as long as you rest here” I heard the shy pegasus say to the injured cub.

I looked at the scene before me, blinking sweat out of my eyes before slowly approaching. “Is... is it going to be alright?” I said making Fluttershy jump, her muscles tightening as she readied herself to flee.

She turned and I saw her muscles relax a bit before she noticed I was holding my side and positively drenched in sweat. “Oh my! A-are you alright?” She started coming to me going for my side before I put a hand on her hoof that was coming up to check my wound.

I shook my head as I looked at her, “There's nothing you can do unless you can do healing magic” I said simply, trying to keep the pain from adding an edge to my voice, I let out a ragged breath before motioning towards the cub with my head. “Is it going to be alright?”

The repeated question made her turn to the cub, though keeping me in reach, “He's hurt, but it's not too terribly. Whatever hit him like it did wasn't trying to kill him, just play with him” she said, pain sounding in her voice from the thought before I watched a shiver run over her. “There's a few broken ribs besides the obvious cuts, but in a few weeks he should be healed up enough. What happened?”

I shook my head again, returning my gaze to the small manticore who's breathing seemed to of evened back out. “I was coming back out of the forest, to report to the barracks as I was ordered” I started, putting more pressure on my side. “It wasn't long before this little guy hopped out of some bushes and I can only assume tried to play with me. After a moment, a huge nearly black mantacore came out covered in blood and scars, I had assumed it was this one's mother, or father perhaps, but I was dead wrong. It swatted that little one into a tree and was about to kill it before I intervened.”

Worry showed on Fluttershy's face as she looked at me again, face pleading for me to tell her it was all a joke, but I shook my head.

“After I managed to kill the beast, I came here as quickly as I could” I finished as the pegasus' face fell, “I understand how you feel on the matter Fluttershy, but this... this wasn't like when you met Twilight. The beast was out for blood”

The pony's face fell, and I saw dark spots appearing on the floor beneath her face making a pit open up in my stomach. I reached out to put a hand on the pony's shoulder, but dark marks of blood from the manticore stopped me as the hand came into view. Instead I kneeled down with a grunt of pain, putting my face at the mare's level. “Fluttershy, there's no need to cry. The reason I stopped that manticore was so that it couldn't do that to anything else, be it ponies, or any animals” I said, trying to console the mare.

Fluttershy shook her head though, wiping her eyes with a hoof. “No... that's not it” she said sniffling. “This manticore cub, lost his parents, the one y-you... killed... had most likely killed this cubs parents to expand his territory”

I blinked at the mare, the meaning eating a hole in my stomach as I turned to look back at the cub who was lying on the table seemingly sleeping. “I... I don't have the means to take care of him either” the shy pegasus' voice sounded again making me turn back to her, tears welling back up in her eyes. “M-manticores, t-they're one o-of the alpha hunters i-in the Everfree Forest. E-even if I tried he would g-grow up and h-hurt my other a-animals, a-and he wouldn't be afraid of p-ponies anymore be-because I h-helped him” she stuttered, chocking on her tears.

My stomach was burning inside as I looked at the crying pegasus, pain only intensified by the actual wound. I wrapped my arms around Fluttershy, trying to console her the only way I knew how. She seemed stunned for a moment before letting loose. I felt her head resting on my chest, as she sobbed, spots of wetness forming on the coat and shirt beneath it.

The feelings I had for the cub were nothing special, I felt slightly protective, especially after learning of the inevitability of what would happen and having saved the cubs life, much to the detriment of my own.

We stayed like that for a while, until the pegasus seemed to of cried all of her tears and my knees ached from sitting on them. I felt a hoof pat me on the chest, a silent request to release her which I did without a word. The mare's eyes were bloodshot, trails of tears having formed under them, she looked over at the cub sniffling lightly.

“If you want, I can take care of this for you” I said softly a hand returning to my side.

Fluttershy nodded silently, turning to look away from the cub her eyes threatening to tear back up if she looked any longer. Nodding myself, I stood back up before walking over to the cub I picked it up and cradled it in one of my arms, doing my best to ignore the throbbing. The creature was dead asleep, it's side rising and falling slowly with it's tail curled between it's legs for it's forepaws to clutch it against it's chest. I felt a pang of sadness as I realized what I would have to do, but bit down the bile that had begun rising in my stomach.

Letting out a breath to calm myself, I looked back at the shy pegasus, making sure to keep the cub from her sight. “Fluttershy, could you get me a shovel please?” I asked as gently as I could. The pegasus nodded looking at me for a moment before heading off outside to do as I asked.

I followed the mare, the cub tucked into the crook of my arm. 'God, please help me' I silently prayed as the guilt already started building inside me as I covered the small bundle of flesh and fur with my other arm.

Fluttershy returned not a few moments later with a small spade clutched in her teeth, the morning sun reflecting off the blade and silhouetting her against it's light. I nodded in thanks before heading back towards the forest's edge.

“Put him somewhere nice” I heard the pegasus say, heartbreak evident in her voice.



The search was not a long one. A beautiful clearing showed itself in the morning light that managed to cut through the forest. Blue flowers surrounded the clearing giving off an aroma that was unlike any I had ever smelled before. A small pond was at the edge of the clearing which a few water lilies floated on, undisturbed by my presence or by anything else.

The dread that had been building in my stomach was threatening me once again, having been able to put it down when I had been searching, but with the search over, it had returned twofold. I looked down to the bundle in my arm. The manticore cub had nestled itself against my coat and the crook of my arm and seemed content with where it was laying.

While the scene may of brought a smile to my face in any other situation, now I was looking at it through foggy eyes. I choked back the tears wiping my eyes with a glove before putting the manticore cub down on the ground. The cub was relatively unaffected by the new location, as it laid down on the grass of the clearing.

I started digging a hole, silently hoping that the cub would get up and wonder off, but as I finished, nearly neck deep in the hole, I looked out only to find it was still laying in the grass. My stomach hurt, despite the fact that I had rested at the bonfire earlier to relieve myself of the pain in my side and make me able to deal with it as painlessly as possible.

Climbing back out of the hole, I shoved the spade into the mound of dirt I had made before pulling out the axe on my belt. The weapon shook in my hand making me put down my shield, gripping it with both to try and steady the shaking blade, it didn't help much.

I let out a few calming sighs remembering what the shy pegasus had said 'It won't be able survive without someone to help it, and if someone helped it, it would grow up and not fear the ponies, preying on them when it needed' I thought closing my eyes.

Opening them, I looked down to line up the blade with the animal's neck, lightly resting it against the soft fur. Raising the blade up in the air I let out a breath and closed my eyes before bringing it down with all the strength I could muster. The thunk as the axe hit home seemed to reverberate through the forest.

I slowly opened my eyes, staring upwards at the canopy over the clearing, the light of the sun reflecting off the water, and onto the leaves above. I swallowed hard, closing my eyes again for a moment before opening them and forcing myself to look down. The axe had done it's job, blood painted the grass around what was once a living being.

I let out a shaky breath, pulling the axe from the damp dirt it had buried itself in, the sickening smell of blood finding it's way to my nose making bile rise up in my throat once more, threatening to make me lose what was left of the contents of my stomach. The axe pulled free with a slurp that made my stomach churn making me heave before throwing the axe to the side. I looked at the cub, sorrow and disgust filling my chest.

'At least... he won't hurt anymore' I thought picking up the small corpse before lowering it into the pit I had dug. Rising to my feet, I grabbed the spade once more before starting to cover up the dead.



After washing myself clean of blood in the pond, I washed it from the axe, though there was a stain I couldn't seem to remove. After a few moments of scrubbing, I stopped, looking at the stain before simply wiping the water from the blade and tucking it into my belt again. The walk back to Fluttershy's cottage was a quiet one, the whole forest seeming to be silent, as if honoring one of it's own that was slain.
After explaining where I had found to bury the small manticore, I wrapped my arms around the yellow pegasus again as she started crying. “I think he would've loved it” she said tears starting down her cheeks once again. I felt tears rolling down from my eyes as well, but I hid them from the grieving mare.

“If you need anything Fluttershy, just ask, alright?” I said after I had pulled out of the embrace. She simply nodded wiping a tear from her eye before giving me a bit of a forced smile and wishing me well.

My heart ached having seen Fluttershy like that, but it hurt more after having to kill something so innocent.

After grabbing the cuirass and slinging it over my shoulder, the dented portion making it nearly impossible to wear, I started towards the guard barracks across town.

Author's Note:

The Title sounded a bit off to me, but due to an inability to think of something better, I just went with it. Well unless "Killing Innocence" sounds better.
It may change as time goes on.

PreviousChapters Next