• Published 9th May 2015
  • 3,094 Views, 89 Comments

The Wander Through Lands Unknown - Tomas Lutwig



Lost in a world of uncertainty with prior knowledge can seem like you know what you're doing, but that is almost never true.

  • ...
25
 89
 3,094

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 50; An Incredibly Boring Day

I ran the blade of the newly made knife over a whetstone, counting the strokes in my head before lifting the blade and examining it. Grabbing a small handful of water, I poured it across the surface of the small block of stone before working on the other side of the knife.

A sense of something akin to ease echoed through me as I worked. A feeling of weight having finally been shrugged off after a too long.

I closed my eyes and let out a quiet sigh as I remembered Sundance's face as my story had concluded. A pang of disgust fluttered up at the thought of myself managing to feel better, despite the mare's obvious discomfort. Shaking my head I continued my work absentmindedly continuing the count of the blade on the honing stone.

Lifting the blade I wiped the water from it and ran a thumb against the edge. A half smile came to my lips as my skin caught.

My eyes ran over the entire knife, searching for flaws that I had been taught to watch out for. The nearly pure white horn stood out brightly against unpolished steel blade, the scale still clinging to it's face and spine. While it wasn't as comfortable as a carved handle, the unicorn horn, once lightly sanded and sealed with some beeswax, was pleasant enough in the hand.

Nodding, satisfied with a job well done, I looked down at the scabbard I had carved to house the blade and my smile faltered. The scabbard in question was obviously a rushed job, made from some soft scrap wood with a belt loop made from some cord I had laying around.

I sighed sliding the blade home and tying the sheath to my belt. 'I'll look into carving a new one later' I thought turning towards the door of the small smithy. Splashing some water on my face and wiping the black from my hands on a nearby dull gray towel I opened the door and immediately shaded my eyes from the bright noonday sun.

“Geeze Celestia, trying to blind a poor guy?” I muttered under my breath closing an eye and making my way around the smithy to the barracks out front. The light from the sun seemed as though it was trying to burn it's way through my thin undershirt, threatening the delicate skin beneath it.

A hushed argument made it's way to my ears as I neared the corner of the stone building that served as the Ponyville Royal guard barracks. The muffled voices were familiar, thought I was too far away to tell exactly who they belonged too. As I rounded the corner however, the answer was made quite clear.

Applejack stood not far from the door of the barracks in an obviously heated discussion with another familiar orange mare.

“-Ah understand that after what happened he might need some time ta recover an all, but mah sister's been terrified since she heard he got back. Ah've been needin to have a talk with the-” The apple farmer stopped as she noticed me round the corner, a tired frown already forming on my face. “There ya are! You an me need ta have a chat.”

Sundance turned as Applejack walked past her and frowned as her eyes landed on me.

“Alright, Wanderer, if'n it would be alright with you Ah'd like an explanation as to why ya decided ta try and scare the life outta mah little sister” The apple farmer started, her voice growing more hostile as time passed. “Yer friend here has been blockin me here long enough an Ah'd like some answers”

“Applejack, please-” Sundance's voice sounded as she approached the mare's side only to stop as I held up a hand. She shot a questioning look my way to which I simply replied with a shake of my head.

I redirected my attention back on the apple farmer and opened my mouth to start only to let out a sigh and close it. I leaned on the building and rubbed my eyes.

“Well? Ah haven't got all day ere! Are ya going ta start talkin or am Ah going ta have ta bring mah brother over here?” Applejack nearly shouted, her voice full of anger.

I shook my head silently 'I wouldn't personally, he'd be more likely to beat my skull in, or at the very least beat me half to death' I thought before lowering my hand. “I apologize Applejack, it was not my intent to frighten your sister. She walked up to me with questions as to why I had hit you, back in the forest...” I trailed off looking away from the mare, a pang of guilt still sitting in my stomach. “I explained to her that it was just a knee jerk reaction and I ended up telling her what happened with Tirek”

Looking back at Applejack I found the mare glaring at me. A feeling not dissimilar to that of being scolded as a child formed.

“Ya really need ta learn when ta keep yer trap shut Wanderer, cause mah sister's been too scared ta go into town with us fer days.” She said continuing her glare.

“Applejack, I'm sorry it wasn't-”

“Ya should be apologizing ta mah sister, not me! Only issue there is Ah don't know if Ah can trust ya not ta say somthin else stupid ta terrify her more!” Applejack shook her head as she looked down, obviously thinking hard.

“Then what do you want me to do?” I asked simply, my stomach feeling like I had swallowed a bag of cement mix.

A glare was once again leveled at me “Well Ah don't know lanky. Can ya keep yer trap shut and just apologize or are we going ta have ta send ya off back ta Canterlot so mah sister doesn't have ta be afraid yer going ta come in the middle of the night and do away with her family!”

I winced at the apple farmer's words, the weight only heavier at her words making me wish I could push through the wall I was leaning against and away from the mare's scorn. Clenching my jaw I nodded, “I can do that” I said, looking at the ground beneath her hooves.

Applejack's eyes narrowed as she looked me over, after a moment she nodded, her glare returning. “Well c'mon then, like Ah said Ah haven't got all morning. We'd best get on down ta the farm so we can get this sorted out”

The Apple farmer turned and started down the dirt road leading back into town. Letting out a breath I didn't know I had been holding I ran a hand down my face. Looking over I offered Sundance a poor attempt at a smile only for it to falter into a look that begged for some form of assistance.

The mare let out a sigh before walking up next to me as I pushed myself off the wall and followed after Applejack.



“You alright?”

The question broke the silence of my thoughts as we walked down the seemingly too long road out of the small bustling town. Blinking, I looked over at the orange unicorn beside me who was offering a look of reassurance, if tarnished by a hint of worry.

Glancing forward, I shrugged, “I don't know, I guess” I said gripping at my hands.

Silence ruled once again, though the silence seemed to anticipate more, even as Sundance did giving me a curious look.

“It just seems like right as I was starting to feel a bit better, thanks to sharing what happened with you” I said, a small smile was sent her way before quickly vanishing, my eyes returning to the dirt road before us. “More of my stupid mistakes come back to bite me and put me right back where I started. Just makes me wish I could have some time to just lay back, not worry about anything... though I suppose in the end it's my fault for not being able to shut up.”

A nudge at my side caught my attention only for me to find Sundance resting her head against my hip, when she offered a small smile. “Hey, c'mon. We all do stupid stuff, things that we regret. I don't know about Applejack, but to me, the fact that you're at least going to try to make things right means something.” she said her eyes softening to a look that seemed to radiate calm.

The weight in my stomach seemed to lighten, even if only a minute amount. A more playful nudge impacted my side again making me look back to see a more honest smile. “Look at it this way, after this you can just put the whole thing behind you. You tried right?”

I let out a bit of a chuckle at her words. “Well, that is if Big Macintosh doesn't decide to buck me to the moon” I said returning the smile.

“Ah wouldn't worry too much bout Big Mac” Applejack's voice sounded in front of us grabbing both of our attention to the farm pony and nearing farm house. “It's his day for workin the stall in Ponyville”

Blinking in surprise, I felt some small pang of relief even through my growing anxiety at the approaching farmhouse. The normally calming scenery of rows upon rows of apple trees passing by only seemed to add to the growing unease.

'Come on, it isn't going to be that bad. Worse comes to worst, she's still scared of me, even after my apology and saying that I'm just a giant moron. It won't be that bad, I mean kids are scared of all kinds of things! Though I suppose she's not really a kid anymore, more of a young wom- young mare? Either way it's not as though I associate with her on a regular basis, I barely even see her sister. Both of us can just get on with our lives and she never even has to really talk to me again.'

I felt my stomach drop further into my toes even as I tried to talk myself out of the feeling. I let out a sigh through pursed lips as we approached the porch of the farmhouse.

“Wait here for a sec, Ah'll go grab her” Applejack said nodding towards the door before opening it with a light push and walking inside.

The farmhouse's porch was fairly plain, painted a red and white, matching the rest of the house which matched the barn, sans the image of a familiar smiling pink mare and an equally happy sun. I sat down next to the stairs my back facing the closed door, resting my chin on my hands which I propped up on my knees.

Sundance plopped down next to me as I looked out into the orchard, the sun shining down as birds chattered in the trees. A gentle breeze blew across me, causing some of my hair to tickle lightly at my temple. The sweet smell of apples permeated the area with hints of other scents, freshly turned earth, sweat, even the normally unpleasant smell of manure.

“It's beautiful out here” the unicorn mare's voice rang out, and the calm that had started seeping into my chest agreed.

I let my eyes close offering a quiet “Mmm” as I felt another breeze, appreciating the cool of the early autumn. I had always loved farms, the serene tranquility that the suburbs, let alone the city, could never quite match. The suburbs could be quiet, peaceful even, but never the same as out, away from other people. The feeling was akin to camping, surrounded by nature, but with a man's touch. A slight order to things that would normally had grown tall and strong over years without any hindrance.

The feeling of slipping away was tugged out from under me as I heard the door to the farmhouse behind us shut. The calmness and peace that had taken up residence in my chest was quickly evicted when I saw the fearful amber colored eyes staring at me.

Tucking my legs up underneath me, I turned around to face the young mare. Even sitting on my legs Apple Bloom was a hand shorter than me, the peak of her bow reaching just over my head, though I could still look her in the eye.

Guilt bit at me as I looked at the amber orbs before me before I blinked, “Apple Bloom, I wanted to apologize. You sister informed me that what I had said earlier greatly frightened you and I didn't mean for it to come across that way.” I paused, hoping for some kind of response. The only one I got was to notice that her ears were pointed in my direction and the look of terror in her eyes had calmed to strong uncertainty.

“I have a bad habit of not knowing when to stop talking you see” I continued, “By now I should have tamed it, as it has a tendency to get me into trouble. I only hope that you can forgive me, and maybe that we could put my foolishness behind us and perhaps be friends?”

With a slow movement I offered her a hand palm up, fingers extended, an obvious gesture.

The young mare looked down at the hand, looking between it and my face a few times. She seemed to steel herself for a moment before offering her hoof and a bit of a shaky smile. “Ah suppose I could give ya a chance, jus don make me sick mah big brother on ya”

I gave her hoof a shake offering a smile of my own. “I wouldn't dream of it Apple Bloom” A hand rose to my nose.



'Well that went significantly easier than expected' I thought walking down the road towards the Everfree forest, Sundance keeping a steady pace to my steps. “Still feeling down?” the unicorn mare asked giving me a knowing grin.

I rolled my head from side to side looking at the top of my head. After a moment of silence I raised a hand with a finger held centimeters from my thumb, “Maybe a little bit” I said with an uncertain smile.

Sundance's smile vanished as she raised an eyebrow in question. “Everything alright?”

I tilted my head back and forth. “If I'm honest it just kinda got me thinking about what's happened the whole time I've been here. Yea there have been a lot of mistakes, but...” I trailed off holding a hand out in front of me, trying to grasp at the words, before I let it fall back to my side.

The sound of our footsteps on the packed dirt ruled for a while as I tried to find the words to express the turmoil that I felt. “But?” The question rang out from the mare beside me to which I could only answer with a shake of my head.

A chuckle rose from my throat causing another questioning look. “It's just funny. I said that I wasn't going to make you my psychiatrist, and look at me now. Spilling my guts, just like I said I didn't want to.”

I felt the mare hit me on the leg making me stumble, “Now hold on a minute-”

“Thanks, by the way.” I said smiling playfully, interrupting her before she could continue.

Sundance shot me a dirty look before rolling her eyes. “Yea, yea. Don't mention it.”

As the two of us continued walking, a more comfortable silence settling around us, the Everfree forest finally started coming into view, along with a familiar small cottage.

'Hm, haven't seen Fluttershy in a while.' I thought remembering the last, rather short interaction I had had with the shy pegasus. A frown formed at the thought of the less pleasant interaction that came before that. Nodding to myself I decided I might pay her a visit.

“Hey Sundance, do you know Fluttershy?” I asked making the unicorn look up at me and blink.

“The Element of Kindness?” She asked to which I nodded, a hoof rose up and rubbed at the back of her neck. “Not really, she didn't talk much when we were trying to find you and mainly stuck with her friends. I don't even think she said anything when we were trying to...” she trailed off shaking her head. “No”

“Ah” I said nodding “Sounds about like her. Listen I was thinking about visiting her, you want to come?” A finger pointed out towards the cottage.

Sundance followed the finger to the cottage and raised an eyebrow. “You don't have to, I mean you probably have things you need to do and all”

“Nah today's my day off”

I blinked looking down at the mare before folding a hand over my chest. “And you decided to spend it with me I'm t- Oof” I was interrupted as an orange hoof impacted my stomach.

Sundance retracted the hoof with a smile on her face that said all that was needed. “Sure, we can visit. My only other plans for today were to write back home to the family and laze around.” She said looking to the cottage. “I can do the former anytime and better to help my friend than waste time sleeping or reading”

I rolled my eyes at the mare's ribbing smile. 'At least I'm getting to spend time with one of my friends' I thought as we approached the cottage. “To be fair if it wasn't for Applejack, I would probably be doing the same” I said shrugging.

Sundance shot me a raised eyebrow. “What about that knife you were making? I'm surprised you wouldn't still be cooped up in that smithy of yours”

A hand went to the small knife, still hanging on my belt in it's wooden scabbard, bouncing it a couple times to catch the mare's attention. “Already finished.” I said looking down at it. “Just need to make a better scabbard, but the pine or whatever wood it is will work for now.”

“Hmm, color me surprised! I guess you work quicker than I gave you credit for. I assumed after our... little talk, it would take you longer.”

I ducked around one of the lower hanging birdhouses that nearly impacted my face. “Well hollowing out the horn and setting the blade in there didn't take long. Carving the scabbard actually took longer, even though it was kinda rushed” I said looking down at the knife again, a small frown coming to my face.

I shook my head as we reached the door, knocking a few times to hopefully get the occupant's attention. A muffled voice could be heard from the other side quickly followed by another.

I blinked, confused. 'Well that's strange, someone at Fluttershy's?' I thought, wondering if I was interrupting something, along with who it could be.

After a moment of thought one being came to mind only for the door to open, revealing a tall rather annoyed looking spirit of chaos.

Discord blinked at me before looking at Sundance, who was staring at the dragonequus with eyes the size of plates. “Can I help you with something?” he finally asked looking between the two of us, his voice laced with no small amount of venom.

I opened my mouth to reply only for the door to shift as Fluttershy pushed past her friend. “Discord, that's no way to treat guests.” she said before focusing her attention on us. “Oh! Wanderer! Um, Sargent Sundance. Can I help you two with anything?”

Fluttershy shrunk back from the guard mare though Sundace was too busy staring at Discord in disbelief to notice. “I uh, well actually I was just stopping by to say hello. I apologize, I didn't know you had company” I said offering an sheepish smile.

“Yes, yes, hello Wanderer. Now that the pleasantries you mortals seem to enjoy so much have been exchanged, maybe you and your very stare-y friend here can make like the bees and go away” The tall spirit said trying to shut the door though the pony beside him blocked it open.

I blinked in surprise even as the pegasus scolded the dragonequus. “Discord! That was very rude!” She said staring up at the spirit who simply grumbled floating off deeper into the cottage muttering to himself. Fluttershy turned back to us with an apologetic look. “I'm so sorry, he's been having a tough time recently with something Princess Celestia asked him to do.”

After I regained my composure I shook my head, putting up a hand. “Ah, I understand Fluttershy. Sorry for bothering you”

Glancing over at Sundance, she had come back to her senses though was now trying to look over the shy pegasus' shoulder to try to see the dragonequus. I nudged her in the side only for her to look at me. “Was that really Discord? I'm not just seeing things right?” she asked before turning to Fluttershy who shrank back and nodded. “Interesting! I've heard quite a lot about him, would it be possible for me to ask him a few questions?”

A familiar talon appeared in a small flash of light holding what looked to be a light blue sticky note which it attached to Sundance's face. The word 'Come Back Another Time' were written in bright red ink. The talon then started pushing on Fluttershy's chest with enough force to make the small pegasus slide back into the cottage.

“Oh my. Well it was nice seeing you again Wa-” the quiet voice was cut short by the talon closing the door, in our faces.

I blinked and opened my mouth a few times confused before looking at Sundace who was looking over the sticky note grinning nearly ear from ear. “It's not a 'No'!” she said showing me the note.

PreviousChapters Next