• Published 9th May 2015
  • 3,094 Views, 89 Comments

The Wander Through Lands Unknown - Tomas Lutwig



Lost in a world of uncertainty with prior knowledge can seem like you know what you're doing, but that is almost never true.

  • ...
25
 89
 3,094

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37; A Trap

Reluctantly, I stood up from the soothing warmth of the bonfire. Pulling off a glove I reached back to feel my neck only to be met by the smooth, if slightly hairy, texture of normal skin.

'Almost too perfect' I thought, fingers still searching for some sign of the blisters that had once covered the area. 'Though I suppose I shouldn't look too far into it otherwise, knowing my luck, I'll end up screwing it up'

Turning from the flames and replacing the glove, I started back out of the forest, the ring of fog already in it's place from my trek through the forest to get to the clearing that had served as my home. Stopping at the edge of said clearing I silently wondered if I should take the rest of my things. The worst that could happen being the barracks were still unfinished due to the storm making me return here for the night.

Shaking my head, I dismissed the thought. 'Worst comes to worst I can just grab it tomorrow, I need to start patrolling the town' Turning from the light, I started back down the path leading to the forest's exit.

The Everfree Forest was alive with sound. The calls of birds echoed around me as I walked down the path, enjoying the serenity of the moment. My feelings of happiness and serenity were quickly dashed however, as a smell that could only be described as death reached my nostrils.

A hand went up to cover my nose as I approached the resting place of the one proud, and extremely territorial, beast. Questions of how I had unconsciously avoided the path came to mind as I looked over the corpse, but faded quickly. Time had not been kind to what was left of the manticore; the remains seemed to be little more than meat and bones after it's challengers or perhaps timberwolves had gorged themselves. What little fur remained was no longer the proud ebony, now being a sickly black, a flag signaling it's untimely demise to the forest and it's inhabitants.

The sight of what had been the older, murderous manticore made me turn to see dark marks of the cub's blood on the tree it had been slammed against. My stomach churned uncomfortably as memories I had pushed down of the days prior resurfaced.

Looking up the canopy of leaves and tree limbs covered the area in it's shadow, acknowledging the place as one of death. My hands went to my face rubbing down them as I let out a sigh, stomach only growing more restless as I steeled myself.

Stepping away from the bloodied tree and the remains, I walked through the forest. Brushing aside vines or through bushes that blocked my path. The sounds of the forest seemed to grow quieter as I passed, moving around trees, over rocks.

'Why?' was the singular question that went through my mind, but even though I lacked an answer I continued. The forest was silent as I passed, the only sound being the rustling of flora as I pushed on.

It wasn't long before the aroma that had had met me at the clearing found my nostrils again, sending a shiver down my spine from ambivalent feelings. Pushing on despite the emotions, I entered the clearing only to stop a step inside of the grassy opening.

My eyes immediately fell upon the small pile of dirt, nearly unnoticeable if not for the fact that the grass covering the rest of the clearing had yet to return. I tried to walk forward, but a chill stopped me, wrapping my arms around myself in a makeshift hug I wondered. 'Why do I feel like this? There was nothing I could do, nothing Fluttershy could do...' I tried to reason with myself, to make the feeling growing emptiness stop.

Leaning against a tree I looked at the small, nearly insignificant pile of dirt. 'Such a small, so unimportant'. A fist slammed against the tree sending a small tinge of pain up from the offending appendage. 'No. It could've been something, but I didn't let it. I might've raised it, with Fluttershy's help.'

Teeth clenched in my jaw until they ached as a low growl echoed from my throat. “Damn it!” the shout rang out as tears ran down my face losing themselves in my beard. A dull thunk was heard as an axe blade bit into the tree I had been leaning against. I wrenched the weapon free glaring at the dark indent on the bark only to add another, and another.

Thuds sounded through the forest as anger was worked out through tears. Pulling the axe out, my arm burned. Heavy breaths sounded as I fell to my knees, after a moment I looked up to see the light colored wood that was hidden beneath the bark.

Splinters stuck out from where I had ripped the axe free or where chunks of wood had broken off. I shook my head, disgusted with myself. Looking to the blade of the axe in my hand, sap and small splinters stuck to the blade though were easily wiped off on the grass.

A tired sigh sounded as I rested my head against the tree making my helmet shift uncomfortably. Annoyed I yanked it off and tossed it aside before returning my head to the rough bark and closing my eyes.

'Why?' The question reverberated through my skull once again. Searching through myself for some kind of answer, the only thing I could find was; I was afraid. 'I am afraid' the thought sounded in my head making me shiver again. Laying down next to the tree I looked up at the canopy of trees, and the beams of light that broke through the leaves.

I let out another sigh before a yawn racked my body. My eyelids seemed to rebel against me, falling down across my eyes within seconds, the warmth of the sun sending me back, leaning against a tree with a good book, the midday sun overhead as birds chirped in the tree above me or the other trees in the park.

A scream broke the silence and jolted me from my near slumber. A fog covered my mind as I clumsily tried to rise. 'Wha-?' I started only for the scream to sound again, fright lacing the voice. A familiar voice.

'Fluttershy?' I asked getting to my feet, trying to shake off the groggy feeling. Grabbing my helmet I rushed out into the forest, nearly running straight into a tree. As I ran through the forest adrenaline, or something, cleared my mind of the fog.

Another scream sounded, a lot closer this time making me jerk my head to the left, skidding for a moment on the damp earth before running through a small group of trees.

Not far off the path, I found the screaming mare. Surprise took me for a moment when I saw what was causing the yellow mare's screams though. A small group of four changelings, two of which wore a strange dark blue armor I had never seen on them before, had surrounded the shy pegasus and backed her into the trunk of a large tree.

Fluttershy's eyes found me, fear evident. The simple action of looking at me though had alerted one of the armored changelings making it turn to look at me before, what I can only assume was an order was barked out making the pair of unarmored insectoid creatures face me. A low hiss sounded from one of them, an obvious attempt at scaring me off.

“We don't have to do this, back away from the mare, and we'll all get to leave without any trouble.” I said, readying myself for a fight. I was met with another hiss, though this time from the other of the two.

Silence followed, the two shapeshifters watched me, and I in turn. A whimper from Fluttershy broke the quiet, making me glance up at her as the other two closed in on her.

Movement made my eyes dart back to the two enemies in front of me only to find that one had lunged at me. The other had begun hovering above the ground beginning to circle around. The charging changeling brought his horn up in an obvious attempt to gore me with it's horn. Stepping to the side away from the attack, I swung my axe across, impacting the side of the insect-creature's head with the blunt of the blade. The changeling stumbled, obviously disoriented from the blow before shaking it's head.

The airborne changeling took advantage of it's brethren's disorientation, and my attention flying over it bringing it's back hooves into my cuirass knocking me back a few steps. The changeling continued it's attacks with it's hooves, slamming me with fore and back hooves causing me to raise my arms in a meager defense, wishing silently that my shield hadn't been broken. A hoof slipped through my attempts at a guard slamming into the front of my helmet and as it shifted into my nose. A crack sounded as I stumbled back again, breath hampered by blood which flowed free.

Pain echoed in my mind as I held my face with my unarmed hand, anger soon followed as I pulled my hand away only to find that the blood had stopped. Looking back at the changeling a devious smile was on it's face as it's companion followed behind, recovered from it's head blow.

Tapping into my magic, I reached out for the airborne changeling's head before slamming it into the ground with as much strength as I could muster before lobbing it at the two armored ones who had grabbed a hold of Fluttershy. The other changeling was shocked looking over at it's companion only to turn back at me, rage painted on it's face. Shock soon replaced it though as I buried my axe in it's head, just beside it's horn.

Green goo, not unlike blood, poured from the shallow wound. Much to my surprise the changeling's carapace was harder than I would've guessed. A growl sounded from my throat as I kicked into the bleeding changeling who seemed to be unconscious tearing my axe from it's shell. Turning to the pair of armored shapeshifters who pushed their unarmored companion from on top of them and got back to their hooves, focusing their attention on me instead of the yellow pegasus.

Reaching for my magic again as the pair recovered, I grabbed the one who noticed me and ordered the attack flinging it towards me before bringing the axe point into the changeling's side. The beak of the axe slammed into the carapace piercing a small hole and sending a spiderweb of cracks through the side of the insect-like creature. A cry of pain sounded from it before I threw it off.

Turning back to the remaining conscious changeling, intense pain rocketed through me as it's horn pierced my side. The armored changeling tore it's head sideways tearing out a gash in my hip. A scream of pain and anger flew from my mouth as a hand went to my side only for the creature to spin and slam me in the ribs with it's hind legs launching me into a nearby tree.

Pain blurred my vision even as darkness edged it. My breaths were short and difficult as I looked at the changeling warrior who slowly approached, hissing a threat to stay down. Defiance and adrenaline fought to keep me conscious, my hand holding my tore side silently praying I wouldn't bleed out. Taking as deep a breath as I could, I slowly rose, holding my side the blood having curiously stopped, but the pain still racking my body.

Gritting my teeth as the changeling hissed again before charging, I stepped to the side bringing the beak of the axe down into the changeling's neck with what remained of my waning strength. The carapace broke, pierced enough to draw blood. The armored changeling turned it's head sinking it's fangs into my arm. The pain made me drop the axe letting out another yell as the insectoid started trying to pull, attempting to rip a chunk from my arm.

In my hazy attempts at freedom, my free hand found the knife on my belt ripping it from it's sheath before burying it into the creature's bright blue eye. The attack did it's job as the struggles at my arm stopped, a few twitches echoed across the body as it's jaw went limp loosening it's grip.

Straining to keep tears from my eyes, I opened the changeling's mouth pulling the fangs from my arm before clutching the wounded appendage biting my lip to keep from screaming. After a few moments I retrieved my knife, clumsily wiping the green goo on my pants before returning it to it's sheath. Reaching down for my axe, I looked around, hoping the remaining changelings had retreated or were still unconscious.

“F-Fluttershy” I sputtered barely managing to stay on my feet. Only a small portion of my vision wasn't black, and what wasn't was blurry, colors blending together chaotically. Greens and browns were unrecognizable as I stumbled from tree to tree. A light yellow and pink blur was before me after a moment. “Fl-Fluttershy, p-please... take m-me to the bonf-f-fire” I struggled between pain filled breaths I reached out to the yellow and pink blur only for a green light to flash before her, replacing her was a dark blob.

“Wh-wha-?” I managed before my legs gave out, blackness encompassing my vision before I managed to hit the ground.



Green, I sat in a field of grass holding a small bottle. My legs were tucked up to my chest as I watched the sunset. Looking down at the color a smile came to my face as I noticed that the sky was the same color as the amber liquid that swirled around in the bottle. Looking back into the sky stars dotted the blackness, “It's a new moon tonight, so it'll be the best time to watch the stars” I heard a man say as I laid in the back of my pickup truck. The radio announced some giveaway it was having in the next five minutes, and I silently questioned entering, but I shook my head. 'The stars are too beautiful to ignore'. Looking down I watched a light trail across the sky. The blackness swirled, swallowing the points of light before forming a road the headlights of my truck making the bright yellow lines stand out as a woman in a blue button up shirt with a bright golden badge walked up next to my window. “What seems to be the problem officer?” The lady started talking, but it was if someone hit the mute button, silence was all that followed her moving lips.

The world slowly started to spin names sounded around me as I picked up speed, a sound that might be some kind of music echoed in my ear, deep base thumping with electronic sounds following.

Blinking, I was in a chair, a white plate sat in front of me filled to the brim with food, another smaller one beside it held different kinds of desserts ranging from cakes to chocolate covered strawberries. A fork in my hand had a meatball skewered on it with a red sauce covering it.

“Bret!” The voice shook me back to reality. Looking above the plate I saw a young woman, dressed in a turquoise dress, her medium length red hair in a ponytail hanging over one of her shoulders. “Are you alright honey? You barely touched your food”

I blinked “Oh yea, no worries, just thinking about school. You know how that goes” I said raising the meatball to my mouth before relieving the fork of the impaled meatball and chewing it. After a moment my eyes went wide as I swallowed, immediately reaching for a small cup of lemonaid quickly emptying the contents in my mouth before letting out a breath.

“I told you that was hot! Mrs. Flemmings always makes her meatballs spicy” Julia said snickering behind her hand.

I stuck out my tongue at her prompting a giggle that made a few of the others around us look. Most rolling their eyes or chuckling, used to our antics before returning to their food.

Julia seemed to wiggle in her chair for a moment before motioning towards my plate. “Hurry up and try it! It's the first time I made it and I want to know what you think!”

Looking down at my plate, my eyes immediately fell on the item she spoke of; a small pile of lasagna that had fallen apart on my attempt to get it onto my plate. Chopping off a piece with my fork I speared it slowly raising it to my mouth. “I told you Julia, I love lasagna too much for you to be able to mess it up. That and even if you did I think I-” I was cut off as my girlfriend grabbed my arm pushing the fork and contents into my open mouth.

I gave her a look that spoke of future repercussions, but it quickly changed to shock as the taste hit my tongue. Chewing for a matter of seconds, I swallowed, looking back at her with the same awe. “That was awesome!” I said after a moment of silence before looking back at the plate. Cutting into the small pile again, I started eating it with reckless abandon, scantly chewing before inhaling the food, a look of bliss on my face the entire time.

Julia raised an eyebrow to my antics before leaning back in her chair a bit. “Looks like you like it at least, though I think you might be a bit biased” she said, a smile forming on her face.

“You know me” I struggled out before swallowing, “If I didn't like something I wouldn't mince words and tell you I did” I lowered my fork again into the pile of lasagna only to find that it had vanished leaving the rest of the meal on the plate.

Looking over the heads of the other potluck patrons, I noticed that there was still some of the meal left in the tray, as I moved to get up though a hand grabbed my wrist stopping me. “C'mon Bret, leave some for the others. If you really like it that much I can make you more later” she said

I wore a look of childish annoyance and reluctant acceptance. “Four layers?” I asked crossing my arms.“Five” she replied making me look up at her with a grin.

“I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I need to ask God so I can do it again!” I said leaning over the table to kiss my girlfriend.


I laid in bed, my arms wrapped around Julia, both of us panting and covered in a thin film of sweat, a smile on both of our faces.

“I told you bed wrestling is the best” her voice rang out. Something inside of me stopped for a moment before I started laughing rolling onto my back on arm still laying underneath her. The sounds of my joviality was quickly followed by her own before slowly tapering off until we were both panting again.

“Julia?” I asked looking up at the ceiling the light casting shadows that resembled shapes I had seen in a game before, the name of the deadly creature escaping me. A quiet “Hmm?” was my only reply as I continued to stare up at the creature, trying to remember it's name. “We've been dating for three years, right?”

Movement made me look down at the young woman who looked up at me with curious eyes, but wearing a smile. “After yesterday yea, why do you ask?”

My eyes returned to the shape on the ceiling. “Well I was wondering. Since work has been going well enough that my boss gave me a raise, well I...” I trailed off, wondering how to ask the question.

“Uh oh, Bret's thinking, I smell smoke” Julia said sitting up from my arm. Her white blouse revealing the line of her pink bra.

After a moment of silence the turned back around to see me looking at her again with softer eyes. “Well I... Aw to hell with it” I said shaking my head. Reaching over to the nightstand next to my bed I rummaged around for a second.

“What is it Bret? Is something wrong? Please, you have to tell me these things. I-” She stopped seeing what I pulled out of the nightstand.

The small velvet box, cruder than the ones found in the stores, but I had made it by hand so it was to be expected. Stepping off the bed I circled around to where she was sitting, my jeans tightened as I knelt down. “Julia will y-” I started, holding the box before me looking into her eyes which filled with tears, nodding before I even finished.

A smile of utter and complete joy filled my face as I opened the box. The ring was made of a copper band with gold bands on either side, a delicately cut emerald sat in the center of the ring flanked by two polished quartz crystals. Pulling the ring from it's box I slid it onto her offered hand before hugging her.

The sound of crying echoed into my ear, making the smile fade. Darkness surrounded me, encompassing me completely. The cold of stone was felt on my back, and a slimy feeling encompassed my arms and legs. I tried moving, but pain in my side launched up into my head forcing my eyes open.

Stone blocks made up the walls of the small room I was in. Looking down I saw a green slimy substance keeping me pinned to the wall. 'J-Julia?' My mind questioned, but reality came crashing down as memories returned to me.

I opened my mouth and let out a roar of pure rage. The metal door at the other side of the room being the only target. My head felt like it would split as I strained against my bonds, pain laced up from my right arm and my hip.

After some time of straining against the green ooze, I let my head hang staring at the floor hoping the pain would ebb away if I stopped. The sound of hooves echoed into my ears before the iron door opened, a green light shining into the room made me squint from the reflection off of the ooze and then from the light itself as I looked up.

“I'm glad you're awake” A familiar slightly off sync voice said before the green lantern was pulled away. Revealing the chitin covered queen herself. “I, am Queen Chrysalis, Wanderer, we have much to discuss.”

PreviousChapters Next