• Published 9th May 2015
  • 3,094 Views, 89 Comments

The Wander Through Lands Unknown - Tomas Lutwig



Lost in a world of uncertainty with prior knowledge can seem like you know what you're doing, but that is almost never true.

  • ...
25
 89
 3,094

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 55; The Discussion

“I am so sorry” Twilight's voice sounded as she walked back into the throne room. “I had a talk with Spike about how he should speak of ponies, whether they're around or not.”

I let out a sigh, picking my face back up out of the gloved hand that had replaced the book. “It's fine. I should've announced myself rather than let him continue. I figured a bit of complaining would make him feel better.”

Twilight sat back down in her throne giving me a confused look, “Why would complaining about something make him feel better?”

Shaking my head I held out a hand, “With my, admittedly small, amount of interaction with young ones like himself they tend to complain about things a lot. Be it people, situations, things, you name it. I assumed he'd do the same.”

The alicorn blinked at me, “I suppose that makes sense, though it doesn't seem to have much of a point. I mean, what does complaining accomplish?”

“Nothing really.”

The confusion on the mare's face only seemed to grow. “Then why did you think it would make him feel better?”

I shrugged, “I just did? It's what I used to do at that age, I mean who doesn't whine to their mommy when something doesn't go their way?”

Confusion quickly turned to annoyance. “I believe you'll find that Spike is a bit more mature than that”

I had to restrain myself from rolling my eyes. “I'm not saying he isn't, all I'm saying is that the childish tendencies poke through when even the most mature child is annoyed”

“I thought you said you didn't have much experience with children?”

I rubbed a hand down my face. “Make you a deal here Twilight” I said motioning a hand at her. “Hows about we agree to disagree and let it drop?”

Twilight rolled her eyes, focusing instead on the roots of her old home and the small crystals that dangled from it's many tendril like limbs. Small pinpoints of light shown off the crystals that helped light the room.

Looking back down from the root system I picked up the book again, pulling it out of the hologram of the mountain with the strange skull atop it's peak. Flipping to the last two pages I started reading the message I had sent Sunset and her reply, trying to think of the least damning way to breech the subject with my friend who was also the princess of the land I served.

Good Day Sunset Shimmer,

I understand you may be confused at being contacted through this means, by a stranger no less, but the reasoning for such is quite important to your future.
Saying that, my message is less that and more a simple question-

“Did you say anything to your friends?” Twilight's voice broke the silence.

I looked up from my book, feelings of annoyance still edging my thoughts. “Pardon?”

“I asked if you had talked to your friends. About what happened to you I mean.” The look on the Princess of Friendship's was soft, concerned even.

“I did, talked to Sundance about it a couple of days ago” Looking back down at the book I tried to continue reading.

Are you-

“Do you feel any better?”

I let out a sigh, less out of annoyance than a sudden exhaustion that fell over me like a cloak. 'Today seems like it's just going to get more and more interesting' Looking back up at the mare I put the book back down. This time it finding a place to rest in the hologram of the southwestern sea. “I did actually. Though if I'm honest I don't feel like I should, Sundance was devastated.”

“That's normal, friends are supposed to help and support one another. You had something traumatic happen to you so it would be weird if she didn't feel for you, and wish she could help.” The alicorn's tone was surprisingly motherly.

I let out a short humorless chuckle looking instead at the large map in front of me, “Well doesn't help when you describe in detail dispatching a trio of changelings, only to be captured, tortured, then watching your wife of years brutally disemboweled right in front of you. I mean that would make the strongest of people, or ponies, devastated. I doubt having it happen to your friend is any easier when you see the effects on them.”

Silence hung in the air for a few moments before I looked up to see Twilight looking at me, her face contorted in horror. “Is that...?” she managed to get out.

I nodded, closing my eyes taking a deep breath as I tried to push tears down. “Telling people doesn't make it much easier to remember either, even if the worst of it was fake.”

“How have you been coping?”

Shaking my head I shrugged, “However I can. Mainly keeping myself busy, focusing on this little pet project with Sunset Shimmer.” I threw a hand towards the book.

“How has that been going then?” the alicorn asked, almost seeming too frightened to continue the previous conversation.

A smile threatened my lips as I allowed a small chuckle 'I guess that one's a bit too harsh for idle chatter huh?'. Picking the book back up I flipped to the last written page rereading it for a moment. “It's been I guess. I'd honestly rather go into detail with Princess Celestia here as she's the one I'm bouncing my idea off of.”

Curiosity took over the mare's face as she looked at me. “Oh, well she should be arriving before too long” she said her horn igniting for a moment before nodding. “Yes it's about eleven fifty three, normally the Princess is early on top of that so...”

I slouched back in my seat allowing the book to lay open in my lap. Twilight seemed to take it as an indication to stop talking and subsequently silence fell over the large chamber. 'I just pray she show's up quickly because waiting for her and thinking is going to drive me insane.' I thought looking up at the large mass of roots and hanging crystals above us.

Moments later the sound of armored hooves on the carpeted crystal behind me could be heard. Twilight perked up as she looked around the throne I was sitting in before getting up and walking out of view.

“Princess Twilight, it's so good to see you again. Though I do wonder where my other friend is, wasn't he the one who asked to speak with me?” the same motherly voice sounded behind me.

A mental sigh sounded as I put the book on the table and got up, a sudden weariness threatening to take the strength from my legs. “Princess Celestia!” I said saluting as I spun to face the solar diarch, my face the forced stony that the royal guard were known for.

Celestia looked no different from the last time I had seen her. Her mane and tail still flowing in some ethereal breeze that only it felt. Her coat the same pristine white it had been since my earliest memory of her. Her eyes still the same shade of pink. I felt odd thinking something would've changed, perhaps due to the subject matter of her little visit.

“Oh come now James, do we really need to observe such formalities when only in the company of friends?” She asked, flashing a questioning grin. Celestia approached as I let the salute drop and wrapped a hoof around me as I can guess she had for Twilight. “How have you been? My sister has told me you have been having trouble with nightmares”

I returned the gesture, wrapping my arms around the mare's neck with a gentle firmness. “I've been I suppose.”

After a few heartbeats we parted the Princess taking a step back to look me over properly. “I cannot disagree with that, however it doesn't look like you've been particularly well.”

Looking down at myself I raised an eyebrow at the mare, a sense of playfulness coming back. “Well geeze, if I looked that bad why didn't you say anything Twlight?” I said offering the alicorn in question an offended look.

The mare blinked at me for a moment, “I wha-?”

A smile crossed my face as I turned back to Celestia who's face wore a gentle smile. “It is good to see you again”

“The feeling is mutual” I said with a sincerity that surprised myself. Leaning back I clapped my hands together, the tiredness seeming to fade. “Now, shall we?” I motioned towards the circular table and thrones.

“Ah yes, I believe you wished to speak of my old student Sunset Shimmer correct?” the tall alicorn asked as she sat down in the throne depicting the trio of blue diamonds. Her voice was significantly less enthusiastic as she spoke, waiting for Twilight and I to take our respective seats, or Pinkie's in my case.

I nodded sitting down and motioning to the book in front of me. “Right, I believe it may be time to bring her back to Equestria.”

A thick silence seemed to fill the room as Celestia looked at me. Twilight looked between the two of us confused finally looking at the Princess. “What has made you come to this conclusion?” Celestia finally asked, her voice having lost what remained of it's cheer and good humor.

“I don't mean offend anyone here Celestia, but she's causing havoc over there. She hasn't lost her ambition for your throne.”

The alicorn blinked slowly, looking me over again, though this time without the friendly humor she had. “And may I ask how you came to this conclusion? Is it from your knowledge of our world?”

I nodded before picking the book up. “Part of it is. The confirmation is in here. Flip to the last page that's been written on” I said holding it out.

A golden aura surrounded the book taking it from my grasp and levitating it back over to her. Opening the book and reading for a few moments she closed her eyes and let out a sigh. Putting the book down she gave me a look. “I cannot say I'm too happy with you for going over my head in this James, I wish you would've contacted me beforehand.”

I nodded, “I can't fault you there, however the problems she's causing there are quite severe and could possibly get worse. Where I come from there's a saying, 'It's better to do and ask for forgiveness than to get permission.'”

Celestia looked at me again before looking back at the book. “I understand the sentiment, but please don't do something like this again.” she finally said looking back at me.

“Princess Celestia?” Twilight's voice took my friend's gaze from me offering a nod to continue. “I don't understand. Your letter said your student was dismissed for 'an unhealthy amount of self worth' and 'thinking she deserved to rule Equetria'. What does he mean bring her back?”

The princess offered me an annoyed look before turning back to Twilight. “Sunset Shimmer was the student I had before you, as I said. She was a brilliant mare, skilled in magic, academics, and more than passionate to learn about the things she didn't know about. She was also unfortunately overly ambitious, hostile, and proud to a fault. Hoping to teach her a lesson about curbing these vices and to look into making some friends I showed her a magical mirror. She only saw what she wanted to see however, and something else. Her passion for learning caused her to question me for weeks on what secrets the mirror held, growing frustrated at my constant refusal she went over my head and searched the library. Do you remember the wing of the library I told you that you were not to enter without my express permission?” Twilight nodded prompting the princess to continue. “It was there that Sunset not only learned more about the mirror, but she also learned of the spell that turned you into an alicorn. The guards warned me of what she was doing so I confronted her about her actions. She accused me of holding her back, of keeping her from what was rightfully her's. 'I deserve to be your equal, if not your better!' I remember her saying” Tears started forming in Celestia's eyes as she continued. “I was forced to expel her from my tutelage until she learned humility and the value of friendship. Rather than leaving from the castle as I had told her however she ambushed the guards and ran retreated into the magical mirror. The mirror, having been created by Star Swirl The Bearded, leads to another dimension.”

Twilight sat in silence staring at her mentor. 'Well she did just drop a pretty big bomb on the girl.' I thought.

“I am sorry for keeping this from you Twilight, but I cannot help but see her erring as one of my greatest failures. I should ha-”

“Celestia, stop.” I finally said silencing the larger alicorn. “You couldn't of known. As far as you saw, she was a promising young unicorn who was in need of some guidance, which after you tried to offer it to her she smacked it back in your face. You did everything you could for her back then.” The solar diarch looked down at the magical book before her and sighed.

“Princess Celestia, I don't mean to interfere with business that's not mine, but I think Wan- er, James is right.” Twilight finally said causing us both to look at her in shock. “Wouldn't it be better to bring Sunset Shimmer back, if not only to stop her from causing the other world problems, but also so that you can help her understand the magic of friendship?”

A gentle smile formed on the alicorn's face as she looked at her old student, “I see you are taking the charge I asked of you admirably Twilight Sparkle.” The smile faded as she looked back down at the book. “I believe this however may take a bit more than my own abilities.”

“Well you know that I'll be willing to help in any way I can Princess, and I'd be willing to say that the girls would be willing to do the same.” Twilight smiled up at her old mentor a familiar hope in her eyes.

I chuckled to myself seeing their little exchange, reaching out with my magic I grabbed the book from in front of the princess and started looking over the message that Sunset wrote. “Looks like we're all going to have our hands, and hooves, full if we do decide on bringing her back. I do ask though Celestia, what should I tell her? If I offer no response she's likely to make our lives even more hellish than if I go over there and drag her back kicking and screaming.”

Looking back up, shock was obvious on Twilight's face and Celestia's was an uncomfortable disapproval. “James, I don't believe that will be necessary. I do believe that a message is in order however, as I don't think Princess Twilight, nor my sister will be too enthusiastic about giving their roles to Sunset Shimmer. Would you?”

The mare in question however was still looking at me confused, “You can do magic?”



Sunset Shimmer sat up in her bed, an annoyed grimace forming over her face. 'What could those idiots want at this time of the morning?' she thought reaching for her phone on the small nightstand next to her bed. Pulling the offendingly bright object in front of her face she looked for the notification that she had received a message. The same picture of her namesake that was the phone's default wallpaper shown in her face.

She blinked the sleep from her eyes looking at the phone again only to hear the buzzing again. “What in Tartarus?” she muttered to herself as she looked around the room for the source of the noise.

Across the room a pinkish purple light shown for a few moments with the accompanying buzzing sound before the light died. Getting up out of bed the teenager pushed her hair from her eyes before walking over to the offending object, her phone acting as a flashlight in the darkness illuminating the dingy brown cover with the two toned sun on the front.

A few moments passed before she realized what exactly was going on. Picking up the book she flipped through the old assignments and conversations she had with her old teacher to the most recently added portion. As she found it the letters shown for a second before going out, and with it the book ceased it's magical convulsions. To her confusion however, the lettering was different from the last message. Turning back a few pages she realized why the lettering looked strange.

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

It has been many days since I have contacted you, many more than I would have liked. My dear Sunset, I cannot express how much I have missed you, despite the arguments and disagreements we had while you were in my tutelage.

I had hoped you would have learned through your time on the other side of the mirror, but as your message shows, you still hold on to your pride.

Please Sunset, come back. I had hoped you would return on your own, that you would have decided that you have ponies waiting for you here that care about you.

Princess Celestia

Sunset Shimmer blinked. A lesser mare might have started weeping. Her mentor was asking her to come back, to work together again as student and teacher.

Gritting her teeth she felt a growl forming in her throat 'if 'Princess Celestia' thought I would give in this easily, then the old mare must be going senile' she thought. Walking into her living room with the book under her arm.

With a flick the rather boring room was flooded with light, and the same as it always was. Her things were sitting on the counter where she had left them beside her helmet. Digging through her bag, she grabbed a pen and slapped the book down on the counter top and started flipping through to the last page.

'Though maybe...' she started reading and remembering some of the lessons her teacher had taught her. Some of the good times they had had together. 'We used to do everything together didn't we? Everything from teaching to having fun.'

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

You did wonderfully on the transfiguration spells! I still don't think the royal gardener has recovered from the bushes changing colors, or when the trees started singing!

This week I would like you to study up on the effects of the paralysis spells and their effects on ponies and non-ponies. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me, my doors are always open my studious student.

I have also heard from some of your professors that you are having problems with the other students. Please be nicer to them, maybe even try to make some friends?

With care and affection,
Princess Celestia

'Ah... That's right. She just wanted me to make friends with all those other ponies.' Sunset rolled her eyes, the annoyance and anger at her former teacher resurfacing. 'Ponies should be lining up simply to kiss my hooves! Why should I try to make friends with somepony who doesn't even recognize their better when they're being spoken too?'

Dear Princess Celestia




“Honestly I think we should've tried to be a little more deceptive. What's wrong with making her think something stupid about getting to rule Equestria and when we get her back just pull the rug out from under her and disable the mirror?” I said lounging as comfortably as possible in the throne.

Twilight and Celestia looked at me with more than a little disappointment on their faces. “Because it's wrong and she wouldn't be willing to listen to us afterwards if we did that?” Twilight offered.

“Yea but you two are trying to reform her like you did with Discord, I just don't want her causing too much hate and discontent over there.”

The two mares rolled their eyes. “I think it sounds perfect Princess.” Twilight's voice sounded making me groan internally.

“Thank you Twilight, I just hope she's willing to listen to me. After so many years it would be nice to get to see her again”

'Oh yea, that reminds me' “Hey Celestia? Was there ever any fairytales about Star Swirl The Bearded banishing some Sirens or something like that?”

The princesses blinked at me for a moment, “Yes there was, well in a way. He did banish three sirens out of equestria, he couldn't stop them from reeking havoc with their music. He described it as his greatest failure ever.” Celestia said, “He was very distraught after it happened, why do you bring this up?”

“I ask because there's a good chance that those three sirens are in the same world that Sunset is right now.”

PreviousChapters Next