• Published 25th Apr 2015
  • 2,383 Views, 211 Comments

Misadventures of Trixie - Tau22



What is a reformed and apologetic mare to do? Continue being the best travelling showpony around, of course! These are the adventures of Trixie Lulamoon. Foes are faced, crowds entertained and the best kind of friendships are forged. Unusual ones.

  • ...
4
 211
 2,383

Eastern Sensibilities

The Everfree. Once a constant source of stress, making her consider every step with utmost care. Now, it was almost homely. She hummed a tune to herself as she navigated its twisting trails, unhindered by the locals. Avian beasts made their cacophonies of sound in the treetops above, while grounded creatures of almost nonsensical shapes foraged for food in the undergrowth. Not a single wolf so far, perhaps for the best. No matter how friendly those became, the horrid stench was always present.

A howl suddenly sounded in the distance, answered by a dozen more. A hunt was declared, but on what? The showpony quickened her pace, though dared not leave the trail. As friendly as the locals now were, their home was still a maze. Growls and roars could soon be heard, coupled with more relatable grunting. Her quick walk turned to a gallop. She reached the edge of a crossroad and there saw something quite unexpected.

A silver pony stood alone against the pack, clad in a set of lightweight, crimson armour, obviously designed to not hinder her movements in any way. Her mane, much like her cutie mark, was not visible, hidden under a wide-brimmed, straw hat. Most eye-catching, perhaps, was the pony's armament. A long, thin sword, impossibly sharp. It had to be, considering how easily it cut through the wolves.

The blade floated next to her, illuminated by a pink glow. Within the blink of an eye, she dashed between a pair of the beasts, slicing them in half horizontally, as if they were made of paper. In another moment, she was high in the air and came crashing down on another, impaling the creature's head. Yet where she possessed deadly skill, the timberwolves possessed hardiness.

In mere seconds, their bark regrew, their cuts vanishing altogether. The swordsmare took a few deep breaths, then readied her weapon for another round. She wasn't going down without a fight, that much was obvious. Trixie finally decided to intervene by running into their midst and shouting:
"Stop," where the other mare regarded her with a confused stare, the wolves watched with complete focus. She realised she needed to elaborate further, "umm, she's with me. I'll lead her outside of the Everfree."

A few barks sounded in response. One by one, the wooden wraiths retreated into the shadows, leaving the two ponies alone. They both sighed with relief and met gazes. The mare's eyes were pink, matching her magic. She bowed immediately and spoke:
"Thank you for your aid. I was starting to lose hope."
"That's quite alright, no need to bow."
The armoured mare didn't seem to be paying too much attention to what she said:
"I do not know what arcane technique you used to persuade them. Could you perhaps teach it to me?"
"Woah, woah, calm down. I didn't use any technique."
"But then how...?"
"That is a long story and we can go over it later. For now, however," she bowed slightly, "I am Trixie Lulamoon. And you?"
She seemed horrified as she replied:
"T-terribly sorry. I forgot my manners."
"That's quite alright. But may I finally know your name?"
"Right. My full name is a bit long, but please, call me Lotus."
"Pleased to meet you! Now, come, we can talk on the way. The Everfree is not the most welcoming place."
Lotus finally put on a timid smile:
"So I've noticed."


The forest was silent again. After getting used to the other state of affairs, reverting back to its former state made it even more unnerving. The two nonetheless persevered, following its crooked paths to relative safety. The first question of 'How in the hay did you do that?' proved to be the most time-consuming. The swordsmare remained silent during her explanation, nodding at regular intervals. As soon as Trixie finished, her companion exclaimed:
"Fascinating. Most certainly a strange relationship, but I see it has its perks."
"Quite. And that's enough about me for now, I think. I'd love to know something about yourself. For one, you're obviously not from around here."
"Indeed. I hail from Neighpon, to the far east."
"That's quite the distance. What brought you all the way to Equestria?"
"Wanderlust has always dominated my spirit. Since foalhood, I always wanted to explore new things. As I grew older, my destinations got farther and farther away. And here I am."
"Would you say Equestria was worth the trek?"

Without so much as a thought, she answered:
"Definitely. Equestria is such a magical place. Excuse the pun."
"You need not apologise for puns in my vicinity, worry not."
"Heh, very well. But yes, it is an amazing place. Beautiful, ancient. And the ponies! I have never seen so many unicorns and pegasi."
"I hear that often," it was true. Equestria was strange in many ways and its ponies were no exception. Most other countries were made up of primarily earth ponies, with pegasi and unicorns being minorities at most. In Equestria, the three tribes were almost equal in number, "we're not the world's capital of the arcane for nothing."
"No kidding. Back home, we have so few pegasi that only the two largest cities have regulated weather. And unicorns are even scarcer, practically revered by the populace" she suddenly blinked, "not to imply I'm better than anyone else based on that alone."
"You worry too much, Lotus. Besides, you are obviously skilled in your craft."

She glanced down at her sharp companion, then back at Trixie:
"I have trained for many years. It takes great concentration to wield a weapon like this properly."
"I can only imagine, though I know what it must be like."
"If I may, what sort of magic do you wield?"
"Well, let's just say."
Her horn started glowing. Their group of two soon turned to twelve, as a small host of indistinguishable clones marched with them, one half mimicking Trixie, the other Lotus. The Lotus clones said in unison, perfectly copying her voice:
"That I am amazing at costume parties."
The host disappeared and Lotus laughed:
"Most impressive! That's another thing I've noticed. The unicorns here all generate their magic without. That is a rarity back home. Must be the martial tradition."
"I am not sure I quite follow."
"I think this calls for a practical demonstration. I'll show you once we get out of this blasted forest."
"Sounds good to me."


They had settled for a nice, secluded spot at the very edge of the Everfree. Their routine was quite similar, from the way they carefully stacked their clothes, to the way they set up their bedrolls. Lotus' mane was soon revealed as being short and black as charcoal, tied into a rather fashionable knot. Her cutie mark was a crimson shield, partly obscured by pink flower petals.

Lotus stood on a single hind hoof, performing an elaborate exercise of some sort. With a final, elaborate movement of her forelegs, which Trixie was sure would throw the swordsmare off balance, the ritual came to an end. Her breathing was absolutely calm as she returned to a regular standing position on all fours. With a smile, she addressed the showpony:
"I needed that. Now, may I demonstrate?"
"By all means."

"Right. It is quite simple, really. Unicorns here in the west are taught to focus their magic outward. To animate items, create images and affect the world," Lotus assumed something akin to a combat stance, her legs bent as if bracing for impact, "we are taught differently. To keep our power hidden within," Trixie felt a slight tingle as the eastern pony's horn started glowing, "to become one with the flow of magic. Until the time is right."

Trixie could feel power gathering within the swordsmare. For a moment, it almost seemed as though she would pop like a party balloon. But then, she dashed like the wind itself, going from a standing position to the other side of their little camp in the blink of an eye. The sensation of magic was strong in the air. Lotus continued:

"When that moment arrives, we become the wind, slipping past attacks and foes alike," she looked around for a few moments, until she finally spotted a large rock, "we are the tidal wave," with a swift kick of her hind legs, the stone was broken in two and the showpony gasped, "breaking through an enemy's defences. And when the dust settles," she regained her previous composure without skipping a beat, "we are the stream. Calm, collected. Ready to face adversity with a clear mind."

The end of her performance was met with the clopping of hooves. She blushed slightly and bowed, while Trixie shouted:
"That is amazing, Lotus!"
"Oh, it's not, really. I'm just good. You should see what some of my teachers can do."
"Heh, I might have to plan a trip to Neighpon to take a look, then."
"I'm sure you'd love it, it is a beautiful place. Especially this time of year, when the trees blossom," she sighed, "I'm very much looking forward to returning, once my adventures here are done."
"Home sweet home, eh?"
"Indeed. Now, while the moon is a wonderful companion, let us rest. The day was long."
"I wholeheartedly agree."


The room was silent, empty save for a young, dark blue filly. She was not crying, despite having plenty of reasons to. A candle was placed on a table in front of her, burning away like the precious seconds of life. It was in no way special, except for the fact that it was for grandma. The most special pony in Equestria.

With a sigh, she took the frail flame into her hooves and carried it towards another small table. Pictures were on the table, showing various ponies. Grandma, grandpa, her parents... and her. She was a prominent feature in almost all of the new ones, always smiling. She placed the candle there, her hooves shaking slightly.

With the main part of the ritual already over, all that remained was to spread the ashes on a meadow or field. To become one with the sun, then be reunited with the earth below. The Equestrian way of burial. She turned to leave, but could not help looking at the pictures one last time.

Finally, her sorrow washed over her and she broke down crying.


A not-so-gentle nudge woke her from her dreams. In the dark of the night, she could make out Lotus, standing there in full armour. She looked worried. Trixie mustered a response as she drowsily rose:
"W-what's going on?"
"We are not alone."

That woke her up rather quickly, her senses going into overdrive. There was movement in the tree line all around them. The two ponies stood rump-to-rump, gazing into the night. The hunters appeared together, a dozen strong.

At first sight, it seemed to be a number of swords, very similar to Lotus' own, floating in the air. A closer look revealed the true enemy. Frightening, shadowy claws gripped the weapons, attached to strange, chaotic bodies standing on two legs. One of the apparitions hissed and the rest readied their weapons. Lotus muttered under her breath:
"Tsukumogami."
"What?"
"Spirits that possess items," Trixie could already feel energy gathering within the swordsmare, "break their swords!"

Not letting the enemy engage first, Lotus charged forward, leaving Trixie with a neat half of the group. She gulped, but braced herself nonetheless. With a united hiss, they charged, swinging their weapons at various angles. After a flash of light, they struck nothing but air. While they paused in confusion, she charged a spell from behind them. Her repertoire of attack magic was not the widest, but she did remember one that she hoped would do the trick.

A swift bolt of magic struck one of the blades. The blade suddenly started vibrating at an incredible pace, the vibrations differing depending on location. It literally shook itself apart as the shadow slowly vanished into nothingness with a horrific wail. The others hissed in fury and charged once again. Some ghosts would never learn. As she displaced herself once more, she glanced in Lotus' direction.

Rather than avoiding their attacks entirely, she parried and danced between her foes. The deadly waltz was interrupted when she rose high into the air and brought her blade down in a mighty slash. One of the spirits raised its own weapon to meet her, and it was shattered like glass. As soon as she landed, she locked blades with another two, as a third crept from behind. Trixie shouted:
"Behind you!"

She quickly darted to the side, letting her foes clash with themselves, then nodded in her direction. The showpony turned her attention back to her own share of attackers. For all their skill and intimidating presence, the creatures did not seem to know how to handle such an elusive opponent. They were soon reduced to four and they spaced out, trying to cover every possible angle of attack. They were only mildly successful and after another spellcast, their job was made even harder.

The battle continued for a few more minutes, until only a single shadow remained. It stood there, clutching its blade, though it did not seem phased by the loss of its comrades. The two ponies, panting heavily, shared a look. Trixie said:
"All, hah, yours."
"Got it.”

With a final charge, the battle was over. They stood there, panting for a good minute among now-shatered blades. Trixie was the first to speak:
"What was that all about?!"
"Assassins," Lotus said matter-of-factly, bending down to examine one of the swords, "these are finely crafted," she returned back to full height, "there is trouble back home."
"Wait, assassins? How do you... why would there be assassins after you?"
"Perhaps it is time I tell you my full name," she sighed, "I am Lotus Windrider the Third, heiress of the Empire of the Rising Moon."

Trixie was sure her jaw would have hit the floor, but stopped somewhere on the way. Lotus seemed flustered, nervous and just watched as Trixie's brain reset and processed the available information. Finally, the blue mare exclaimed:
"Oh. Oooooooooooooooooh."
"Please, do not be angry."
"Angry? Why would I be?"
"I didn't exactly tell you the truth."
"And I understand why. Travelling with credentials like those attracts unwanted attention. Don't worry, though," she smiled, "your secret is safe with me"
Lotus smiled right back and closed in for a hug:
"Thank you," she cancelled the hug, her face suddenly serious, "had you not been here, I," she blinked and shook her head, "may I ask for your help in this matter, as well?"
"Of course. What are friends for?"
"It is an honour to be considered such. I need to return to Neighpon. As fast as possible."
"You are in luck," she allowed herself a grin, along with some stage presence, "the Great and Powerful Trixie has connections within this land!"


Having a castle sure would be great, said oblivious ponies. Perhaps when one had a large numbers of servants to take care of everything. Not her case. Sure, she gladly hired some cleaning ponies to keep the place in good shape, but she had been against accepting part of the EUP guard as her own.

The princess didn't truly know why she was so against such an arrangement. Perhaps it would just make the place seem less... homely? Like it was just some military post or something. Besides, the constant patrols would undoubtedly ruin her concentration during late-night study sessions.

With a frown, she made her way down the spiral staircase, which was much too large to be practical in any way. The whole place was just too big. Castles just weren't for her, it seemed. She finally reached the bottom, as the knocking came once again. She could almost imagine this being one of Pinkie' s or Rainbow's pranks. A bit grumpily, she called out:
"Yes, yes, I'm coming," after undoing a few arcane locks, she finally opened the mighty, unnecessarily large gate and peeked outside. Immediately, she stuffed her whole head into the opening, "Trixie?"
"Hello, Twilight," she pointed one hoof to her armoured companion, "I have a friend in need."


Showpony and swordsmare embraced each other one last time, bathed in the rays of the morning sun. Lotus spoke, her face troubled, but with a smile:
"As soon as things get sorted out, I'll come see you, I promise," she turned to the alicorn, who stood not too far, "and princess Twilight, thank you for the help, as well."
"It's nothing, really. I hope everything goes well."
"I wish I could be so optimistic. In any case, goodbye for now, friends."

She walked towards the prepared carriage and nodded towards the two pegasi at the front. In moments, they rose to the sky. The two magicians watched in disappear in the distance, silent as a pair of stones. Finally, Twilight said:
"You sure seem to have a knack for attracting strange things."
"Oh, not really. Considering how many of my travels were uneventful, events like this are but a fraction."
"And so are the events in Kost, I imagine?"
For a moment, Trixie looked surprised, but then merely commented:
"Well, that did let me meet your brother. Handsome stallion, that one."
"And happily married." the princess added with a smirk.
"Unfortunately."

Twilight suddenly hopped a little and started digging in a small bag at her side:
"Oh, that reminds me. You've caught many eyes over in Canterlot. I have something for you, from princess Celestia."
Her knees almost buckled. It felt just like her first case of stage fright as she blurted out:
"P-p-princ-cess C-celestia?"
"Uhuh! Now where... ahah," she pulled out some sort of golden ticket and handed it to Trixie, "surprise."
She gazed at the letter, immediately forming a smile:
"An invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala?!"
Twilight sighed:
"Me and the others will be there, too, after a two-year hiatus. It's not as great as everyone makes it sound, let me tell you."
"All the same, this is simply wonderful. Oh, horseapples," primal fear took over, "I have nothing to wear!"

Twilight put on a knowing smile:
"That can be remedied, my dear Trixie."