• Published 25th Apr 2015
  • 2,383 Views, 211 Comments

Misadventures of Trixie - Tau22



What is a reformed and apologetic mare to do? Continue being the best travelling showpony around, of course! These are the adventures of Trixie Lulamoon. Foes are faced, crowds entertained and the best kind of friendships are forged. Unusual ones.

  • ...
4
 211
 2,383

Shadow of the Moon

Even after a few days, the corridors of the royal fortress were a maze. Trixie was sure that would change with time, though she hoped her brain would hurry up and memorise the routes. Constantly nagging the guards for directions was a bit embarrassing, after all. Not that getting lost in the place was too bad

The monarchs' castle was simply beautiful. Each chamber, from the majestic banquet halls to the smallest of closets, was decorated and well-preserved. Most windows were stained glass, depicting scenes from both myth and confirmed reality. The most recent one had surprised even her, though.

There she was, staring up at the giant, emerald eyes of what could only be the crystalline dragon Traxex. The image was surprisingly lifelike, so much so that it sent a shiver down her spine whenever she walked by it. She had a feeling she'd never get used to that gaze.

With one last turn, she stood in front of the ornate doors of Princess Luna's private study. She knocked three times, then entered. The chamber, housed in one of the castle's towers, stretched vertically, rather than horizontally. Bookcases lined the walls, connected by a set of hastily-constructed staircases and pathways. Those had been placed for Trixie, since the room's usual occupant could fly. Moonlight streamed in through a few small, strategically placed windows.

Such was the showpony's schedule, sleeping through most of the day and becoming active in the evening. Her lessons began before the princess had to attend to her own duties as caretaker of dreams. It would still take a while to become fully accustomed to it, but Trixie wasn't going to give up that easily.

Luna awaited her within, sipping on a cup of some hot drink. A brief sniff identified it as an exotic tea, though she could not quite place the flavour. The princess shot her a warm smile and greeted her:
"Good evening, my dear student."
"Good evening, Princess."
"I trust your slumber was peaceful?"
"Indeed. The rumours surrounding the comfort of royal bedding are not far from the truth."
"Heh, excellent. Shall we begin, then?"
"By all means."

Her magic took hold of a notepad and quill and they slowly ascended the tower, the princess floating beside her. Movement, luckily for the two, seemed to stimulate both of their minds. It was always nice to find someone with the same learning methods. The Princess of the Night began:
"During our previous sessions, we were able to establish that your control over magic is excellent. There is still room for improvement, of course, but I do believe you can reach your peak even without my aid, especially considering your dedication. I can, however, grant you insight into matters that others have little knowledge about."
"Dreams, if I had to make an educated guess?"
"Indeed. All creatures dream, whether they know it or not. From the simplest of daytime visions, to the most complex, long-term sequences, they are all a manifestation of our subconscious. Not even centuries of research have been able to conclusively say why exactly our minds create them, but they are here to stay. And while we cannot fully understand why they happen, we can learn to understand the figments themselves. This is especially important when dealing with the most problematic of their sort. Nightmares."

Trixie contemplated for a moment, then asked:
"To prevent them from appearing?"
"Precisely," teacher and student met gazes, "cancelling a nightmare is relatively simple, but an elementary spell to provoke a dreamless state. Yet it is also fruitless. My quest, my goal, is always to heal. To remove the source of such dark delusions and free someone from their grasp."
"How does one identify it, this source?"
Luna broke the stare and landed on the catwalks next to her:
"It is rarely easy, to be sure. It requires utmost concentration, making sure to not leave out even the smallest detail. And it shall also be the subject of your very first assignment, my dear student."
"I am eager, if somewhat nervous."
The princess chuckled, just a little, then said:
"Good. I want you to search your memories for one of your old nightmares. Those that no longer ail you. I want you to analyse it, down to the smallest detail. Feel free to peruse any of the tomes within the tower. Tia," she stammered, "I-I meant to say, Princess Celestia collected them over many years. I am sure they will prove helpful. For now, however, I must be on my way. The night is young and its dreamers many."
"Of course, Princess."

******

Codename: 'Collapse at the Crossroads'
Designation: Reoccurring Nightmare
Interval: Weekly basis
Status: Cured

Brief description:
More a reoccurring, painful memory than a true nightmare. Follows the events after my second entry into Ponyville, involving the Alicorn amulet. Nervous breakdown, intense feelings of helplessness and loneliness. Surroundings unnatural, often shrouded in utter darkness.

Hypothesis:
Brought upon due to the trauma caused by rapid realisations and change of worldview. Several years of pent up doubts and suppressed criticisms surface at once. Nightmares always intense, did not lessen up even with improvements of personal skill.

Lessened only after third trip to Ponyville and a rather lovely slumber party. Completely gone after the fourth return.

Cure:
Magic of Friendship+

******

For some reason, the opening page of her first assignment caught her eyes in the pile of papers on the princess' desk. Luna had obviously reread them earlier that day. With a few final glances into 'Memoirs of the Dreamweaver - Techniques and Precautions', a book whose rather strange word choices permeated throughout, the alicorn looked towards her:
"Sorry to keep you waiting. Just need to make sure the incantation is perfect. And you need not worry, because it is. One can never be too careful when it comes to these things."
"Most assuredly."
"Now, please step into the second circle and we shall begin shortly."

Princess Luna's private ritual chamber was a place of strange beauty. Peculiar statues and other exotic items lined the walls, making the whole place feel like some sort of antique shop. Two large circles were drawn on the ground, filled in with extremely elaborate markings. Trixie could identify most of the runes and other protective marks, though some eluded even her understanding. Fearlessly, Luna entered her own circle and the showpony followed suite, though she was a bit more nervous. The princess spoke:
"The spell protects both your body and mind. Now, just as I taught you, say the incantation with me."
It was an ancient dialect, used seldom in the northernmost reaches of Equestria. Teacher and student spoke in eerie unison:
"Tieň, poskytni útočisko v týchto snoch. Nech nás nevidno ani pri hviezdach miliónoch."

She had seen the procedure before, yet was still startled when an unseen force lifted her into the air. They both floated there above the ground, held in place by magic. A necessary safety precaution, as overseeing the realm of dreams meant one's body and mind were somewhat disconnected, though both were technically still awake. Preventing accidents was therefore of utmost importance.
Trixie calmed down, cleared her mind, just like during their training sessions, and closed her eyes. Strange sensations came and went over the following moments. Weightlessness gave way to being extremely encumbered, extreme hunger gave way to a feeling of fullness. Finally, she could hear Luna's voice:
"Open your eyes, Trixie."

It took a while for her mind to comprehend her surroundings. They were floating in an absolutely vast space, stretching as far as her eyes could see. It was not a hollow void by any means, instead, thousands of clouds floated through the area. They were shaped like all manners of things and varied in size, as well. There were still some that stood out, however. Where most were white as snow, a handful were darkened storm clouds, waiting to burst with lightning.
She took it all in, her expression one of wonder and amazement. The princess stood, or well, floated at her side and said:
"Welcome to the realm of dreams."
"It is simply breathtaking," she shook off her trance and turned to Luna, "I think I can deduce what the storm clouds hide."
"Indeed. This night is calm, overall. I have not sensed a greater disturbance. Come, let us tend to our dreamers. Starting with," she glided towards a dark cloud, seemingly at random, "this one!"
"Any particular reason?"
"I have a soft spot for this little colt. Let's see what ails him."

She beckoned for Trixie to come closer. As soon as the showpony was in hoof's reach, Luna pulled her inside of the cloud. They were suddenly in what appeared to be a classroom, though it was all a bit skewed. Chairs and desks looked just a bit too big, with the teacher's desk more akin to a towering fortress than a piece of furniture. Among it all, in front of a filled blackboard, stood a lone colt.

He was tiny by any standards, his coat primarily a dirty white, but with brown spots here and there, most prominently one around his left eye. In a nervous gibber, he recited:
"A-after the r-return of Princess L-Luna, many ponies t-thought that..."
"What's the matter, Pipsqueak?" came a voice from nowhere.
"Didn't prepare his talk enough, I bet."
"Yeah, teach should give him an F."

The little foal recoiled and sat down on the ground, already tearing up. Luna would have none of that, her horn already glowing with magic:
"Oh, poor little dear," her voice suddenly shifted. Trixie could swear she had heard it in Ponyville before, "quiet! Last I checked, only Pipsqueak was allowed to talk! So simmer down or I will have to have a word with your parents," the voices died down while Pipsqueak made one last sniffle. Luna addressed him directly, "you were doing great dear, don't mind them. Please continue."
With a smile and renewed vigour, the colt complied:
"After Princess Luna's return, many ponies thought that the tradition would be cancelled. But when the princess visited the town of Ponyville, our town, she actually liked the celebrations very much. Since then, she's been visiting us every year and playing with us, and scaring us. She's really nice and smart, and pretty. And that's why I think Princess Luna is the best princess ever and a pony you should look up to."
"Very good, Pipsqueak!" the sound of clopping hooves accompanied the fake teacher's praise.

******

As soon as they were back in the dreamscape, Trixie commented:
"I think I know why you like that one so much."
Luna responded in a playful tone:
"A princess does love her adoring subjects."
"You took a very distant approach, I noticed. Very indirect."

"Indeed," the two met gazes, "I only rarely let a pony know I was watching over their dreams and it is even rarer that I show myself in person, usually when a matter requires immediate attention. For other dreams, however, I only influence the dream itself. In this way, I do not risk shocking or scaring the creature in question, nor do I run the risk of triggering any latent feelings of helplessness or inadequacy. The mind is a complex maze filled with traps, so it is best to avoid them."
"I see what you mean."
"Shall we continue our crusade from the shadows, then?"
"Absolutely!"

Many more dreams were visited on that night, each as mundane as the last, thankfully. Stage fright, general anxiety, assorted minor fears and phobias. They were all dealt with using a dash of subterfuge and magic, turning horrid spiders into jokes on roller skates and filling dark corners with light and laughter. An eventful evening, by all definitions of the word. Most importantly, teacher and student had helped many ponies with bottled-up problems and issues and ensured that they could sleep peacefully.

Trixie was mostly the observer during the ordeal, though she did provide creative input at several instances. Finally, she woke from her fake dream and almost fell over, as her body tried to get used to its weight again. Luna was obviously used to the sensation, as she calmly touched down onto the ground and looked over to the showpony:
"A busy night, but a successful one. You did well, Trixie."
"Thank you, though I will say I did not do too much."
"You observed and contemplated my every move. At this stage in your studies, that is more than enough. Now," Luna smiled, "my sister shall raise the sun soon enough. I would say it is high time for you to rest."
"What about you, Princess?"
"I shall join you in slumber soon enough. I love watching the light gradually wash over the landscape."

With a nod, Trixie made her way to her quarters. Even in the faint light of early morning, she had no trouble navigating the maze-like castle. Not anymore.

******

It was several months into her studies when someone knocked on the door to Luna's library-tower. Teacher and student both turned towards it, surprised. Who could be knocking so late at night? Trixie rose to answer the door. Her horn glowed as she slowly opened it, then immediately smiled when she saw a familiar face.

No longer wearing spelunking gear, the orange mare was dressed in a stylish dark blue ensemble, which Trixie immediately identified as one of Rarity's newest designs. The fashionista was quite popular in Canterlot. Unlike her clothes, however, the mare was a mess. Her charcoal mane was unkempt. Two emerald eyes stared at Trixie, bloodshot and fearful like the first time they had met. The expert greeted her:
"Good evening, Trixie."
"Geodesia," worry was evident in the showpony's voice, "what's wrong?"
"I-is Princess Luna here?"
"Yes," came the Dreamweaver's voice, "please, come in."

She slowly entered, almost stumbling on the door itself, and walked over to the princess' desk. Those worried eyes looked up at the alicorn and she said:
"It came back. The nightmare."
Luna's eyes narrowed as she asked:
"When?"
"Earlier today. I worked through the night on a few projects, then fell asleep in the morning and it... it was back. Even worse than before. I tried the breathing exercises, the relaxing music, everything. It just kept coming back and I didn't k-know w-what..."

As tears strolled down her face, Luna came closer and wrapped one wing around the earth pony:
"There, there, you're safe here, do not worry," as soon as Geodesia calmed down, the teacher turned to her student, "Trixie, get a quill and some paper. We need to take notes."

******

Trixie sat to the side, carefully jotting down every word with her magic, adding her own commentary on the side. After the process was done, she handed the finished document to princess Luna, who skimmed through it:

"So, you say it is the same nightmare from before?"
"Yes. The cavern, the d-dragon, everything. Except i-it's even worse than before."
"And you say you haven't been experiencing any of your previous emotions? The extreme loneliness, feeling imprisoned?"
"No. Ever since you helped me and I was given this new position, I haven't felt like that."

Current position was assigned by Princess Celestia, head researcher focusing on the nature of the crystal caves below Canterlot and their possible uses. I remember she mentioned it being stressful at times, though she actually loved it. Low possibility of this being the cause.

"No worldly problems? Finances or the like?"
"N-no. The fines were all quite mild, considering, and coupled with the new position, I've been able to keep up with payments. I've made new friends, my social life is... acceptable. Could be better, but no reason to have nightmares over, surely?"

Fines levied due to breach of royal decree and the disaster that ensued. Fines levied in the lowest possible ranges, as Princess Celestia deemed that Geodesia had the wits and will to be useful to Equestria as a whole. The princess also noted that she should perhaps have been more open about the situation surrounding the mines, if only to the academic society.

"No, I do not think so. Geodesia, nothing seems to ail you, yet here you are before Us once again. You are not hiding anything, I hope?"
"No, Princess! I swear!"
"Very well. This matter will require Our personal attention. We shall begin immediately."

******

Teacher and pupil retreated once more into Luna's ritual chambers, while Geodesia was provided a room within the castle and put under a sleeping spell. Her close proximity would ensure that her dream would be easy to access. The situation was so different compared to all the other times, though. If only because Luna seemed worried. Trixie looked up at her, but did not immediately say anything. A single glance towards Luna was all that was needed to communicate the question:
"Yes, I am nervous. I know of only two things that could cause such an intense, spontaneous nightmare. Neither is especially pleasing to think about."

The princess fumbled through the papers on her desk, though she did not contemplate them in the slightest. The student came closer and spoke:
"Something from the subconscious, or an outside influence."
Luna nodded:
"So it is either a horrid memory or emotion her mind had suppressed into its deepest recesses, stirred by recent events. Or it is someone or something with sinister intent. Either way, this will not be pleasant. Trixie... are you sure you...?"
"Yes," without a hint of a doubt, "I have joined you on every dreamwalk in the past months. I am not a pony who breaks her habits often. Especially not when danger is involved. I shall accompany you, Princess."
The alicorn gazed at her for a few moments, then smiled:
"How fortunate I was to have found such a dedicated student."
The showpony smiled right back:
"How fortunate I was to have been chosen by such a wise teacher."
"Let us go, then. A pony requires our help."
"Indeed!"

******

Even among the thousands of cloudy dreams and a handful of lesser nightmares, Geodesia's stood out. The cloud was black as the abyss, bristling with crackles of lightning. With a nod to each other, the dreamwalkers entered.

The area was immediately familiar. Dark, enclosed, its walls and ceiling covered in a legion of crystals. But these were different than the ones Trixie remembered. Jagged, ruptured into various monstrous shapes, they cast intimidating shadows when she cast her light on them. And then, there was their patient, trapped inside of a crystalline cage. The room was eerily silent, though everyone involved knew what was coming. It began with tremors.

The area shook as a titanic form seemed to tear the world asunder, emerging from the ground below. Even Trixie was taken aback at first. The malevolent, emerald green eyes looked so real. The rest of the dragon, however, was hideous, malformed. Many limbs jutted out at various angles, surrounding a crystalline ribcage. Within, a globe of emerald fire burned brightly. The monster roared as Geodesia cowered in her cell. The duo took several steps closer and, for the moment, only observed:
"You thought you could kill me," the voice sent chills down Trixie's spine. It was somehow distorted, at once a roar and a whisper, echoing menacingly through the chamber, "I am eternal! I am invincible! Unlike your little hero, I might add! You do well, to cower, little whelp," crying could be heard within the chamber, "for my dominion shall start with you!"

"Be ready to engage this horror, Trixie, I fear it may..."
It was then that the unexpected happened, for the dragon averted it gaze from the captive pony and looked in their direction. Neigh, not in their direction. The nightmare-dragon gazed right at them and finished its proclamation:
"Princess Luna!"

They were taken by surprise, as tendrils of unnameable magic encircled them out of nowhere. Luna managed to fire off a spell, but it was swept aside like a bug. Trixie found herself alone in utter darkness. Her mind and senses felt numb. Before long, she blacked out.

******

She woke again and, much to her dismay, she did not see the quaint little statuettes of Luna's chamber. Instead, the night sky greeted her, starless and dark. Only the moon shone above, mighty and proud. And a vibrant crimson. Shakily, the student rose to her feet.

Ruins surrounded her. Crumbling walls were dotted with arcane fire of a dozen hues. Once-proud statues lay scattered on the floor in large chunks. Through a shattered, stained-glass window, she gazed at the city below. Canterlot was empty. A decrepit, empty husk of what it once had been, wasting away in the sands of time. She was speechless and for a moment, terror gripped her soul.

No. This wasn't right. She had been... with Luna. She grunted as she forced her mind to work. Trying to fix the problem... the nightmare, when it turned out to be a trap. Set by who, or what? More importantly, where was the princess? With a determined look, she looked at the castle ruins around her. Even in their state, she could make out where in the castle she was and set out deeper inside.

It wasn't too long until she heard a haunting melody:
"On your bed of moonlight. Sleep."
Sobbing followed shortly thereafter. Trixie's walk turned into a gallop as she raced after the sound.

******

The singer just sat there, looking at the pony on the ground. Even now, she was beautiful. So regal and graceful, even after her colourful mane stopped flowing. Even after her coat's colours faded from pristine to darkened white. Even after she stopped moving. Luna let out a frustrated, heartfelt cry. Sincere, like all those times before.

The clop of hooves alerted her to the newcomer. None other than Trixie Lulamoon, her... student and protégé, yes. The showpony stopped and took in the scene for a few moments. It must have been a harrowing experience for her, trudging through the castle ruins. But why was she here, of all places? Was this a new evolution of the dream, or was it actually her? The student spoke:
"Princess Luna!"
"Welcome, Trixie." the tone set the other on edge, the alicorn could tell. Calm and collected, though the sobbing afterwards broke the illusion.
"Please, we have to wake up! This is just a dream!"
"I know," that sentenced disarmed the unicorn completely, "I have been here so many times I have lost count. To this day, I cannot tell if it is but a dream, or a vision of things to come."
"A vision? But you would never...!"
"Would I not?!" her voice lashed out like a whip and she stood up, dwarfing the little pony.
"Princess..."

Trixie's voice and gaze were fearful, timid. Immediately, she slapped herself mentally and sat back down, lowering her volume:
"I am sorry, I don't know what," she met gazes with her student and shook her head, "no, I do know. And that frightens me far more than blessed oblivion ever could."
"What are you talking about, Princess?"
"I," Luna took a deep breath, "I am supposed to be freed. Thanks to Twilight Sparkle and her... my other friends. Yet, this nightmare has haunted me ever since. The voice continues to gnaw at my mind whenever I let my guard down," tears streamed down her face anew, "what if I can't control it? What if I lose myself again, what if..."

Trixie interjected, her voice stern:
"You will not."
"How can you know, I am..."
"You are Princess Luna. Princess of Dreams, co-ruler of Equestria. Beloved sister," the alicorn glanced down and could swear the injured pony took a deep breath, "a pony with a troubled past, but a bright future. Kind, beautiful, wise. And perhaps most of all," a napkin levitated closer and wiped most of the tears away, "someone I can call my friend."

Luna just gazed into Trixie's eyes for a few long, eternal moments. She saw not only sincerity and determination, she saw herself reflected on their surface. The true her. She tried to smile, but was interrupted. The voice was strange, something between a shout and a whisper. It assaulted the pair from everywhere at once. Worst of all, she knew it only too well. It was her own:
"Luuuuuuunaaaaaaaa."

The horrific sound echoed throughout the hallways of her mind, again and again. She turned, fearful. The alicorn's fears were, sadly, realised. The moon was nowhere to be seen, consumed by a blanket of unnatural darkness. A wall of a strange, otherworldly substance clung to what remained of the walls. Most alarming, was the figure which emerged from this dark miasma.

For all intents and purposes, it was her, in both form and mannerisms. But the eyes! Their colour matched, yet the other's eyes seemed to almost shine in the surrounding darkness, a beacon into the depths of madness. The creature spoke, its voice cheerful, laced with honey:
"We have missed you so."
Trixie immediately called out:
"Princess, don't...!"

Immediately, the pony was silenced, as another wall of nameless matter formed between her and the princess. Luna glanced back in shock, but soon returned her attention to the doppelganger. It spoke again:
"We will not allow anyone to come between us. Not again."
"Stay away from me!" Luna assumed a battle stance.

The nightmare emitted a chuckle, taking a few steps closer:
"You shun Us, after all those years? How quickly you have forgotten about Our companionship. One thousand years of it," Luna was visibly shaking, "and here we find ourselves once again. Alone, just the two of us."
"I could live without your ilk for a million lifetimes!"
"Oh, how aggressive! How adorable! So strong and determined on the outside," its coat darkened. It was almost black, further bringing out its radiant eyes, "yet fragile and unsure on the inside. Let Us soothe you, Luna."
"Stay away, I said!"

At that point, they were just a few feet apart. The nightmare could almost taste its victory and pressed on:
"Kept in the shadow of the sun, even now. Still unknown to all but a handful of ponies. Still just the cold, lonely moon."

In its gloating, however, the creature did not notice that the princess had stopped shivering. Luna looked up at her darkness and spoke through gritted teeth:
"How dare you."
"What?" the nightmare spoke, incredulous.
The alicorn's voice erupted like a volcano, her horn glowing as a powerful shockwave rocked the area:
"How dare you?!"

The darkness was pushed back and gazed at the princess:
"Luna, We..."
"Silence, curr! You dare show yourself before me once again?! After a thousand years of pouring venom in my ears?! After feasting on my jealousy and despair like a parasite," she looked back at the injured sun on the ground. When she turned back, she bore a furious expression, mixed with tears, "after turning me against the pony who tried to show me nothing but love and care?! I will hear nothing from you, demon!"

The princess spread her wings and rose to the sky. Her horn shone as brightly as a star and shot a pillar of blinding light into the sky. The shadow could not resist and was scattered back to the abyss where it had spawned. The moon was clear again, its light cleansing the entire area. While the nightmare wailed, Luna closed her eyes and bathed in the glow.

Trixie gazed up, slack-jawed. Moonlight itself seemed to gather around the princess, forming a suit of beautiful, ethereal armour. It was as if the moon itself had descended to bless the world with its presence. When Luna opened her eyes again, they were two azure fireballs. Magic gathered around her as she turned to her darkness one last time:
"I am Luna! Princess of the Night! Dreamweaver! And you," the spell was almost ready, "you are finished!"

An arcane beam of impressive magnitude engulfed the darkness. It writhed, it screamed, it roared. Its very form began to unravel and contort, turning from a pony to a nightmare without definite shape. A dozen limbs flailed about in agony as a single eye, black as the void between worlds, stared at the princess in a mixture of terror and fury. With a final, pitiful screech, it was consumed by the attack. Light erupted from where the abomination had stood, engulfing the entire area.

The nightmare was over.

******

Trixie woke from the trance and landed gracefully, despite the previous, breathtaking display. A loud thump sounded next to her and she turned. Luna was on the ground, panting heavily. Her mane seemed to flow slower, as if exhausted itself. Quickly, the student hopped to her and said:
"Princess Luna, are you alright?!"
The Dreamweaver's voice was shaky, but sounded almost happy:
"Y-yes. Just a bit... tired after that ordeal. Whatever that creature was... its intentions were obvious, though its motives confusing."
"Do we have a course of action?"
"For now, that can wait, ah," Trixie helped her stand back up, "I am exhausted right now and we are safe. For now, I have a request, dear Trixie."
"Of course! Anything!"
"I seem to be in no shape to 'walk' anymore," Luna put on a heartfelt smile, "would you please attend to my flock for tonight?"

Trixie stared at her for a few moments, wide-eyed, then answered:
"I will do my best, Princess."
"I know you will," the alicorn slowly made her way to the chamber's door, then glanced back, grinning "dear Dreamwalker."

Trixie did not think about the minutiae at that point. Was it an official academic title? Was Dreamweaver up for grabs? Would her sleep schedule ever be the same? These questions did not bother her. There was a dreamland to patrol and she would not fail.

The other realm seemed to have calmed down immensely. She could sense Geodesia's vision somewhere in a sea of white, now calm and peaceful. With renewed vigour, she turned her attention to the darkened ones. Oh, no.

Poor little Pipsqueak again?

******

The castle was always so beautiful at night. The stars and moon toyed with the stained glass in such wonderful ways. Several guards had stopped on their patrols to ask if she was alright. She must have been quite the mess. Her answer seemed to perplex them further:
"I am now, worry not."

Finally, she traversed the defended hallways and stood before an ornate door. Its wood was as old as the castle itself, protected by magic even older than that. Elaborate carvings, depicting the passing of seasons, could be seen. They had carved those together so many moons ago.

Luna's horn glowed as she delivered a very different kind of knock. For a moment, she was a young filly, sneaking around the guards in a late-night game of cat and mouse. She listened to a reply and, much to her relief, one came. The briefest tingling sensation at the end of her horn.

The ancient door creaked open. It always astounded the princess how good her sister looked at any occasion. Whether it be an official appearance, the middle of the night, or amidst a horde of enemies, the Princess of the Sun was always a sight to behold. Celestia spoke in a mischievous whisper:
"Well, if it isn't," as she took a better look, she grew concerned, "Luna, are you alright?"
"Do not worry, 'Tia. Just had a rough night."
"And what brings you here, then?"
"I know this may sound strange, but, ummm," she looked around, as if to make sure no one was in ear shot, "could I, maybe... sleep with you tonight, dear sister? Like... before?"

The tone was back immediately:
"Why, Princess Lulu, that would be a rather large breach of court etiquette and might be deemed as improper by some prudes. Of course!"

The two giggled as Luna was allowed inside. After a bit more incessant giggling, the two finally lied down. It was then, snuggled next to her beloved sister, who just so happened to have an uncharacteristically non-regal snore, that Luna let all worries rest for a while.

In that moment, the world was perfect.

Author's Note:

I moonlight as a reader of cosmic horror.