• Published 25th Apr 2015
  • 2,383 Views, 211 Comments

Misadventures of Trixie - Tau22



What is a reformed and apologetic mare to do? Continue being the best travelling showpony around, of course! These are the adventures of Trixie Lulamoon. Foes are faced, crowds entertained and the best kind of friendships are forged. Unusual ones.

  • ...
4
 211
 2,383

Simplicity

Author's Note:

This chapter features elements from a short side-story written within this little universe of ours:
When Things Were Simple

While reading that one is not necessary to understand anything, really, I need to shamelessly plug this stuff somewhere.

You're welcome.


Canterlot Dungeon. Two words that did not seem to go together at all. Nonetheless, even the most glorious city had its seedy underbelly, filled with thieves, smugglers and other never-do-wells. Seeing as the capital's guards were extra vigilant, it was natural that many such elements were exposed and captured.

Then they got tossed into the dungeon, though the name was a misnomer from less civilised times. A high-security facility with more guards per square metre than one could shake their shackles at. Patrols were plentiful and orderly, regularly checking every corner for possible disturbances. The incessant clop of their hooves had been maddening at first, but now it was almost calming.

One developed a routine not too long after arrival. For some, it invariably included causing more trouble, but others stayed far away from that. Get up, get some grub, do your assigned work, grub, free time, grub, sleep. And for what it was worth, the grub wasn't too horrible, either.

One stuck to the same groups of ponies, the ones they knew wouldn't cause trouble. Trouble meant problems and no possibility of a shorter sentence. It was therefore extremely surprising, when her routine was smashed with a sledgehammer one morning during roll call. The guard checking her cell called out to her:
"Nova Strike!"
She immediately tensed up and replied:
"Yes?"
"You are to report to the warden's office immediately. I shall escort you there. Understood?"
"Y-yes," her light brown eyes betrayed a sign of fear, though she did not ask any further questions.

Being led there was an almost traumatic experience, not least because of the stares from some of the cells. Most were curious, but some shone with an almost sadistic vibe. She looked like a mess, too, having not kept her short, azure mane in the best of conditions. Her green coat wasn't too far behind.
Every step of the way, she just hoped there was just some misunderstanding. The arcane shackles around her horn felt extra limiting. She mustered the courage to ask the guard:
"Can I ask what I did?"
The guard shot her a smirk:
"Nothing, luckily for you. From what I've been told, you're due for a change of arrangements."
"I am relieved, but still utterly confused."
"That makes two of us."

The rest of the way, they were silent.

The warden's office was a bizarre space. On one hand undoubtedly an office, with filing cabinets and assorted boring furniture, on the other it almost looked like an armoury. The warden, a tall, tough-looking mare, famous for her fierce looks, was apparently an avid weapon collector. Or maybe she was just paranoid about potential uprisings within the prison. Nonetheless, her brown coat and black mane did not attract Strike's attention.

The other pony in the room most definitely did. The beautiful mane of pearlescent blue could not be forgotten, much like those piercing, violet eyes. And that awkward smile brought back memories, as well. The Shatterer, Hero of Canterlot, and other such stupid titles, waved in her direction:
"Ummmm, hi."
"H-hello," Nova's gaze immediately met with the warden's, "what is going on here?"
"It may be your lucky day, Strike," her voice was deep, with an innate rasp to it, "though it's against my better judgement, Miss Trixie here is armed with a letter signed by not one, but three bloody princesses. My 'unlimited authority' only goes so far. You are to be released into her custody and shall be under a different regime. You're still technically serving your sentence, but with some kinks. I'll let you two work out the details," she then turned to Trixie, "and I hope you know what you are doing."
"I do, too."

The warden just sighed, before placing a mountain of paperwork onto her desk:
"I'll need a few signatures."


Her hooves physically hurt, but her body didn't care. With an audible fizzling of magic, the arcane shackle was removed. Almost immediately, crackles of energy shot from it into the air. To a unicorn, magic meant so much. It was the most useful tool, shaped to suit one's needs with but a few thoughts or incantations. To be reunited with it, then, felt like meeting an old friend. Which was strangely appropriate, considering the circumstances.

She stretched out as crackles of arcane power danced along her spine, all the way to her azure tail. She almost moaned as the sensation momentarily overwhelmed her, before standing back upright:
"Celestia, you can't imagine how good that feels."
"That I cannot. Shall we get going? My place isn't too far from here."
"Your place, huh?"
"Well, it's technically royal property, but my place nonetheless."
"Sure, I guess. Lead the way, big shot," the comment was laced with just a hint of venom and Trixie most assuredly noticed.

Frowning, the two mares navigated Canterlot's twisting streets. A horrid maze that was only practical if one wished to venture to related parts of the city. The prison was close to the guard barracks and other administrative buildings, which were close to the market, but the market was much too far from the areas where ponies actually lived. The problems of a city built in ancient times which tried to evolve as the ages passed.
Many ponies actually greeted Trixie. It was quite obvious she was a known face around Canterlot. Heck, she was probably a famous face across Equestria as a whole. Nova commented:
"You sure have a big fan club."
"It does get annoying, frankly. I can't even imagine how Twilight Sparkle deals with her own admirers."
"What a burden you both bear." a sentence dripping with sarcasm. Trixie almost replied, but managed to contain herself.

Strike was the one who broke the ensuing silence:
"So I'm basically under your care until you proclaim that I'm reformed or something?"
"Or until I say you are not. I don't think that will be an issue, though."
"Hmph."

They finally reached their destination, a set of buildings practically within earshot of the royal palace. Property reserved for the cream of the crop. Plus some royal students. A pair of guards once greeted them at the entrance:
"Good day, Miss Trixie."
"And to you, Artemis."

They ascended a flight of stairs into what had to be the rooftop suite. As soon as they entered the accommodations proper, Nova couldn't help but gasp:
"Woah."

It was spacious, to be sure, occupying two separate floors. The lower one housed a number of bookshelves, all filled to the brim. Then there was a cosy kitchen, a small area with comfy chairs and a fireplace for reading. The upper level, meanwhile, housed what could only be a telescope for observing the night sky. The ceiling was completely made of reinforced glass and the evening sky could be seen beyond them. Cleverly designed so that the sunlight would not bother someone on the lower levels.
"It is pretty nice. I especially love the glass ceiling. I've grown accustomed to sleeping under the stars. Anyhoof, you'll be staying here with me for a while. You can have my bed if you want, I can sleep in the chairs. Can I get you something? Tea, coffee, biscuits?"
"Yeah, umm, Trixie?"
"I have some more exotic flavours, too, if you'd like," she levitated a small mug out of a cupboard, her mind elsewhere.
"Trixie."
"And I bet you haven't eaten anything this tasty in..."
"Trixie!"

The shout spread across the spacious rooms, along with the sound of a shattering mug. Trixie quickly swept up the pieces, her attention otherwise fully on Strike:
"Y-yes?"
"I'm not in the mood for tea right now. I want some answers."
"Right. I guess that's natural. Shoot."
"What the hay is all this, Trixie? Me in your custody to see if I'm 'reformed'?"

The showpony sighed and looked out of a nearby window, taking in the sight of night-time Canterlot, before replying:
"Ever since our last... encounter, I've been thinking. All this time, you never really left my head. I... I knew I couldn't change what had been done. But I can still set things right," she looked again at her childhood friend, "I've been talking to the princessess. I know you're not a bad pony, so I just wanted to let them give you a second chance, rather than let you rot in some cell. And well, this was the only version they would agree with."
"I see," Nova made herself comfortable on a nearby chair, "that's so you."
"What?"
"Sticking your muzzle everywhere, trying to make everything peachy-keen."
"I-I thought..."
"What? That everything would be a-okay and we'd be buddy-buddy again? Listen, I appreciate the whole no-more-jail thing but," she exhaled in frustration, "but I just don't think this is gonna' work. At all. We haven't seen each other in years, apart from occasions where we fought and screamed at each other. We're leagues apart. Royal student protégé and a... a random unicorn vagabond. You'd have to be a donkey for us to be more different."

The tables turned as Trixie remarked:
"That's so you."
"What?"
"Stubborn as a mule, making your mind up long before your brain gets a chance to think about anything."
"Oh, yeah? At least I didn't become a tyrant."
A low blow deserved a counterattack:
"Oh, yeah, you just tried to burn down a city, that's totally fine."
They glared at each other. Nova spoke:
"Hmph. I'm done with this conversation. You don't know me."

It was in that moment that something in Trixie broke. Her battle-stare gradually faded, replaced by something between anger and sadness. Nova noticed and tensed up:
"I-I guess I don't. I thought I could bring my friend back, I see I was wrong. Naive as always, Trixie," she sniffled, "naive. I guess I shouldn't hold you b-back, then? Here," from her bag, she retrieved an envelope with the royal seal, no doubt containing documents related to Strike's release, "I'll sign them first thing in the m-morning, then you can go... wherever it is you want to go. Oh, and I mustn't forget this," from a nearby drawer, she retrieved a small, simple-looking box, "you c-can have it. I'm gonna' just... g-go for now. Make yourself tea or something."

With that, she flung the box across the room, where it smashed right into a wall. By the time Nova looked back, Trixie was already gone. Deathly silence ensued. She levitated the envelope onto one of the chairs, before moving closer to inspect the box. It was little more than a brown cube with some padding on the inside. The item that fell was also not remarkable. At least, not remarkable to anyone else.
A copper pendant in the shape of a crescent moon, with some noticeable bumps and ridges, evidence of clumsy forgery. It would have been worse had father not lent a helping hoof. The inspiration had come from the source, too.


"Stop hogging the whole sleeping bag, Nova."
"I am not."
"Are too. Just because you forgot to bring yours doesn't mean you can take over mine."

Two fillies were locked in a brutal territorial conflict, evidenced by constant nudging and random backfires of utterly harmless magic. They had been told camping was exciting, but no one had mentioned all the bugs or other icky stuff. Most importantly, Nova had packed everything but the essentials.
After a good ten minutes of fruitless struggle, they both simultaneously gave up and stared upwards. Their tent was spruced up with a bit of magic, its roof completely see-through, letting them stare up at the night sky. Panting from their exhausting total war, little Trixie exclaimed:
"Hah, I've never slept outside. The stars are so pretty."

Strike followed her gaze and mustered only a feeble:
"Yeah."
"And there's so many, too. I wonder if there's anything out there, you know?"
"Didn't we learn it's mostly rocks in astronomy... or was that astrology?"
"Psch, way to spoil the mood."
"Heheh. Oooh, look, the moon's coming up right now!"

And it surely did, in all of its crescent-shaped glory. Trixie sighed, then commented:
"I've always loved the moon. It's like a friend that looks out for you at night!"
"Huh, never thought of it that way. That makes sense, I guess."
"I sometimes wish I could just grab it and carry it with me always," Nova practically burst out laughing, "what's so funny?"
"You are, Trix."
"Am not."
"That's a good thing, you dolt."
"No it's not."

The two fillies chuckled, before finally bringing peace to Sleeping-bag Gulf and drifting into dreamland.


Nova looked the little bauble over one more time. Such a simple little thing, yet the greatest gift for... an old friend.

She sighed and placed the necklace back in its box, then placed it next to the envelope. One signature and she could be on her way... somewhere. There had to be a place for her out there in the world, after all. She'd just travel for an indeterminable while... alone. She let out another frustrated sigh and commented to no one:
"Shut up, brain. It's over. We... I blew it."
So cocksure she was, jumping to conclusions and making assumptions without thinking, as always. Just like when she went back into Kost with a nebulous goal for revenge.
"Seriously, you're not helping."
Always thinking she could do everything on her own. Only after that stupid duel, of course. She still remembered the status quo before that.

Nova Strike looked at the envelope again, then the box. Finally, she exclaimed:
"I'm such a bloody, Celestia-damned idiot," she finally realised, "I need to find Trix. To say sorry, if nothing else," she got that right, too, "no time to lose!"

Swiftly, she grabbed the box and ran down the stairs. She stopped at the two guards and asked:
"I need to find Trixie. Where did she go?"
The male guard spoke this time:
"Looked like the market square. Watch out for sobbing."

Nova frowned and ran off. Artemis leaned a bit closer:
"Friendship problems these days, eh, Tyr?"
"Yup. I'm sure they can work something out, though."
"Optimist."


The market square at night was the polar opposite of its daytime twin. Gone was the hustle and bustle of trade, replaced by an almost eerie silence. Nonetheless, certain establishments kept their doors open late into the night. Usually the sort that got fairly regular visits from the city guards to confiscate more questionable wares.

Most importantly, however, there was no famous showpony in sight. The trail had run cold, mostly because 'market' was the only clue she had. She sighed to herself and looked over the square. Nopony in sight, either. Great. It was then that a certain sign caught Nova's attention.

Miskatonic's Parlour of Forbidden Curiosities. She remembered that place. Everyone at school had thought it was haunted. Or that its sold items were haunted? One of the two. Still, it did have a good view over the entire marketplace, so maybe... With an audible gulp, she approached the door and entered.

The place was positively eerie. The wares on display ranged from suspicious amulets and misshapen dolls to exotic alchemical reagents and mixtures. It was quite clear that the place served a niche, decisively occult clientele. A shiver ran down her spine when an eldritch voice greeted her:
"Aaaaah, a customer."

The creature was no less unnerving. Carrying itself on four insect-like legs, the rest of its thin, tall body was wrapped up in a brown, hooded cloak. Only its eyes were visible, a trio of flaming emeralds in the dark. Strike mustered her courage and spoke:
"U-umm, greetings."
One after another, the emeralds blinked, before the shopkeeper walked sideways to the counter, not taking its eyes off her for even a moment. It lowered itself a little, watched her intently for a few more seconds, then again commented:
"You seem distressed."
Nova still couldn't tell if the creature had a gender, but replied:
"Y-You could say that. I got into an argument with someone and... well, I'm trying to find them."
Again, the three eyes blinked in sequence:
"You mustn't let despair cloud your judgement, Miss Strike."
"H-how do you...?"
"Few things are hidden from our sight. But that is unimportant right now. You know this individual. You alone can find them. The truth is within your grasp."

Nova just gazed at the creature, then seemed to undergo an epiphany:
"You are absolutely right."
"We know."
"I know where to go now. How can I repay you?"
"Fool's advice is free."
"Heh, if you say so," she opened the door to leave, but turned back one more time, "you know, this place isn't that bad. You should rethink your branding."
"We will consider it."

As the door slammed shut, peace once again returned to the parlour. Out of concealed cracks under the counter, a small plethora of long, prehensile appendages sprung forth, heading for the door. With a sigh and a quick slap, they were sent back to the nameless depths which had spawned them:
"How many times must we remind you? No eating the customers!"


Canterlot's western wall was a peculiar thing. A popular tourist attraction and meeting place for friends, lovers and even enemies. A brief look at the wall revealed nothing truly remarkable. A brief look from the wall, though, explained everything.

Sat on the edge of the mountain which the city called its home, the western wall had little defensive use and its primary function seemed to be keeping people from taking a one-way trip to the valleys bellow. The sight was breath-taking, however. Equestria stretched below for untold miles in every direction, with all of its towns, forests and other assorted biomes. Many romantic types loved to come there at the break of dawn and watch the sun slowly bathe the country in light.

And then there was her, rushing up the access stairs, looking for someone she didn't know. A lone figure stood there, their front legs propped on top of the battlements, staring at the land bathed in moonlight. Nova walked forward slowly. The blue pony glanced in her direction, before turning away again without saying a single word.

She assumed position right next to the showpony and also leaned against the battlement. Casually, she commented:
"Nice view."
Trixie sniffled a little, then retorted, her voice laced with anger and frustration:
"I'm sorry, but do I know you?"
Nova's smile grew bittersweet with that comment, yet she maintained her composure. For once:
"I guess not. You remind me of an old friend I used to have, though. Whenever she was sad, she'd just hop onto this wall and gaze at it all. Sometimes for hours."
"And what happened to this friend?"
"We both did and said things we later regretted and drifted apart."
"A strangely familiar scenario. I had a similar... falling out."
"That's sad to hear. Listen, I, umm," Miss Strike stumbled for a moment, "I know how hard it can be to lose a friend like that. Maybe we could, you know, get to know each other?"
"Miss Strike, was it?"
"I never told you, you're breaking continuity."

The showpony chuckled and Nova joined her. After somehow stabilising from the ensuing giggle fit:
"Tell me, then, mysterious mare, why should I get to know you?"
"One bad friendship shouldn't make you close up to everyone else, you know," she looked down at the land, "besides, I'm sure your friend was just... a bloody idiot that doesn't think things through."
"To be fair, I always had a habit of taking things into my own hooves without even asking how she felt."
"I'm sure she knows you meant well, even if she had seemed like an ungrateful tart."
"Woah, did you just say that? I need to hear that again."

Nova glared at her friend:
"Don't push your luck, Miss Lulamoon. I know whose homework you copied for all our alchemy classes."
"For the first few months until I got the hang of it! I, on the other hand, know someone who couldn't keep her hooves off my biology notes because she spent lessons mesmerised by professor Faun!"
"In my defence, he was quite dashing."

The duo put on their best battle stares, before swiftly devolving into a storm of snortling, giggling and chordling. Nova's horn glowed as she retrieved a small item:
"Oh, yeah, I think you dropped this."
Trixie smiled at the old necklace and proceeded to immediately tie it around her neck. She looked down at the little piece of copper and spoke:
"I always liked this little thing."
"Hah, of course you did. I made it, after all."

"I do wonder, however," the battle stares returned immediately as the showpony finished her sentence, "are you still as quick as I remember?"
"Well, definitely still faster than you, Miss Lulamoon."
"Is that a challenge, Miss Strike?"
"Hay yeah."
"Last one at my place is a... a..."
"Blank flank."
"I suppose that will do. On your mark!"
"Get set!" Nova's surroundings already crackled with energy.
"Go!"

And with that, hey were off, illuminating all of Canterlot with displays of magic. Nova soared through the air, wrapped in an arcane aura, while Trixie blinked from rooftop to rooftop. Needless to say, there would be a few complaints filed to the city guard by morning.


Three emerald eyes watched the light show transpire, their owner's insectoid fingers clicking through the air. The creature nodded to itself, before gently petting a wayward tentacle from the depths. A sound, half ethereal whine, half screech, could be heard in the parlour, but no further:
"Yes, our part is done. The wheel of fate continues its endless journey," another unnameable sound permeated through the fabrics of the ether, "no, you still cannot eat the customers."


After finishing the race and asking a confused Tyr and Artemis who had been first, they continued to argue all the way up the stairs, through the evening cup of tea, up until the question of bedding came to the forefront:
"Hmmm, a conundrum," spoke the Dreamwalker, "as my guest, you should probably get the bed. I do believe tha-aaaaagh," while she was busy muttering, Nova tackled her onto the bed and ruffled her hair, "help, I am being oppressed!"
"Yeah you are," they giggled again, before settling down. Nova's gaze was drawn upwards to a ceiling made of reinforced glass. The night sky shone beyond, illuminating the room, "heh, remember out first camping trip?"
"You mean when you forgot bloody everything?"
"Not everything. I brought shampoo."
"Precisely!"

The two friends laughed for the final time that day, before slowly falling asleep beside each other like little fillies.