• Published 14th May 2015
  • 402 Views, 11 Comments

The 1,000th Sun - Titanium Blade



One thousand years over, the dreaded Nightmare Moon has escaped her imprisonment in the moon. After bringing her eternal night, Four broken friends are left to defend against the chaotic attacks from dragons, Everfree monsters, and even angry mobs.

  • ...
10
 11
 402

"Dishonorable Discharge"

Blood.

I've never seen so much blood.

That was the one of the things that came to Royal Guard, Private Titanium Blade. Through all the acrid smoke, screams of terror of the ponies running for their lives and the dying laughter of the deranged arsonist, that is what stuck out.

The only other thing he could think of was; this is my fault. I did this.

The Las Pegasus Traders Exchange lay in ruins, all because he left his post. One minute of investigating a rustling bush, and some twisted pony was able to sneak in, setting fire to many of the buildings.

How did this happen?

How could I let this happen?

In his head, he heard the voice of his battalion captain, Shining Armor, saying "Training before instinct, Blade. Don't try and be the hero."

I should have listened...

Blade was a grey pegasus with the average build of a Royal Guard; stocky and strong, but agile. His silvery mane was obscured by his helmet.

But for even a tough guard, this was hard. He had left his post.

Two words came to his mind, and wouldn't leave:

Blade, deserter... Blade, deserter...

Blade jumped as he was snapped from his thoughts, hearing his name being called, weakly.

"Blade...Private Blade..."

He went toward the faint voice, looking for its source.

"Titan...ium Blade..."

Blade searched for the owner of the voice, ignoring the rubble and destruction around him. He heard maniacal laughter drifting from a collapsed building.

No...

"Thank you... Blade..." the voice gasped.

"No. Shut up!" Blade said.

"You let me in, so politely...That... that thing-in-bush trick worked nicely..."

"No! No! You're a monster! Look at what you've done!" Blade pointed at the destruction further into the town. "You caused these fires; you killed those ponies!"

"Yes, yes... I did... I did well, and so did you...” the voice chuckled, ending in a cough.

"Long... live... the Queen!" It exclaimed, its strength fading.

Blade put all his rage into his spear, thrusting it into the location of the voice. He heard a gasp of surprise and then a groan as the wave of pain hit his victim. He withdrew his spear from the creature he had impaled, hearing the soft pitter patter of blood upon the cobblestone, its greenish tone unmistakable.

Changeling blood...I let in a Changeling!

As if letting in any arsonist wasn't bad enough, He let in one of Equestria' s worst enemies: changelings. A changling splinter cell.

Blade hoped with all that was in him that there was only one.

It was in vain.

He heard the buzz of bug-like wings as another Changeling came through, one second too late to save its comrade. It attacked Blade from behind. Blade wrestled with it, before it finally overpowered him, putting him into a chokehold.

The last thing he saw was the death and destruction, which was his fault.

________________________________________

Titanium Blade's eyes fluttered open. He was in bed. Yellow sunlight streamed through the window.

Oh, thank Celestia.He thought. It was just a dream.

He tried to get up, when a sharp pang of pain shot through his chest. He swore, as he gently laid back down.

My chest...

The fight...

No.

It could not have been real.

Could it?

Blade continued to struggle against himself, as a nurse and the Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor, walked in.

"Private Blade," he said, seeing if the soldier was awake.

Blade gulped as he answered weakly. "Yes, sir?"

The nurse checked Blade's bandaged chest as the captain slapped a sealed scroll down on the stand next to the bed.

Shining Armor sighed. "Can you walk?"

Titanium Blade looked at his legs. There were only minor cuts on them.

"Yes, sir."

"Is that alright, nurse?" Shining Armor asked. "Is he clear to walk?"

"Yes, captain," The nurse said. "Just don't be too blunt or rough. You don't want to make him mess up his broken ribs any worse."

"Will do." The captain sighed. "Could... could you leave us, just for a bit?"

"Yes, captain," she said, as she turned and exited the infirmary.

There was a moment of silence, as the private and the captain looked at each other. Finally, Shining Armor broke the silence.

"What happened out there, Blade?" the unicorn asked. Blade averted his eyes.

"I messed up, captain," The weary private said. "I left my station, just for a second,"

"Why? What could have been that important?" The captain said, obviously frustrated.

Blade hesitated. He thought back to why he had left his post.

A bush. How could a rustling bush distract me?

This must be a dream... Wake up!

His wish went unanswered.

Blade took a breath. "There was something in a bush. I thought it could've been important—"

Shining Armor sighed. "Training overrides instinct, Blade. Day one of training! That's where we learned that! Day one, blast it! You should have remembered that!"

Blade didn't answer.

"Look... The event was not entirely your fault. I want you to know that. Which..." Shining Armor lowered his voice. "Which is why this hurts me." The captain picked up the scroll in his magic.

Blade was worried. After the incident, he thought he knew what that scroll was. He was trying to keep strong.

Captain Armor took a deep breath. "Time to get up."

Blade sat up, cringing from the pain from his wounded chest. "Yes, sir."

________________________________________

As he walked with Captain Armor, Titanium Blade drew stares from most of the other guards around base. Many of them were shocked to see a guard in such bad shape; Equestria hadn't been at war in hundreds of years. Some of them hadn't heard the news of the attack, but those who had didn't know it was that bloody.

Others had heard of the incident with Blade, giving him a mixed look of pity and disappointment. Some were unsure if he was a traitor to the Guard.

Blade walked in silence, thinking what was to happen when they reached their destination.

"Captain Armor, sir?" He asked, breaking the silence.

Shining Armor hesitated before answering. "Yes?"

"Where are we going?"

The captain didn't respond. His silence caused shivers in Blade's body.

As they walked, the wounded private noticed that there were many other guards walking somberly in the same direction.

Celestia have mercy...Not this...

Blade knew exactly what the scroll was.

Please...

As they walked, there was a stage with a beam that protruded skyward. From that beam, a loop of rope ominously swung.

Blade was unsure what to do; run, fight, or accept his fate?

Celestia, have mercy! Please!

Please...

As they neared the stage, Blade was jerked to the right, away from his impending death

"This way, private," Shining said.

Blade tore his eyes from the gallows, and looked in the direction he was now headed.

He saw another stage. There was a crowd of ponies around it. Contained in the mass of equine, Blade picked out some faces he knew;

Lieutenant Swift Sword, sergeant Knight Shade, Prince Blueblood,

...Dad?

No. No, please!

Blade was moved up onto the stage. Shining Armor read the sentence:

"Private Titanium Blade, of the 3rd battalion, 5th division, squad 24, is hereby given dishonorable discharge from the guard, as well as exile from Canterlot, for misconduct and cowardice in battle."

Blade didn't hear it.

Dad...This isn't how it looks...

His father, Crossbolt, didn't hear Blade's silent plea. He walked away sadly.

Blade walked away in disappointment. He was a failure.