• Published 27th Jul 2015
  • 1,873 Views, 73 Comments

Roads of Life - PonyWrites



High School is tough. It's even tougher if you're gay. Scootaloo is doing the best she can, but maybe the world has different ideas.

  • ...
28
 73
 1,873

Chapter 1

It was a day at high school. In that phase of life there are no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' days. Only days. Calling them 'bad', or breaking out the thesaurus for a stronger word has no effect. The English language does not contain a suitable word for such awfulness. Furthermore, in many mythologies naming a demon only gave it power. Calling a relatively positive day 'good' was a disservice to all things good, pure and holy. Therefore, when asked how their day was, students would only reply with a noncommittal grunt.

Sunset Shimmer had to admit, this day sucked a little less than normal. The sun was shining bright and proud. People didn't hate her as much now that the Dazzlings had been dealt with. Things were looking up. So was Sunset, which explains why she found herself on her back, having been accidentally bulldozed by Rainbow Dash. The athlete jumped up, but not before looking into Sunset's eyes and blushing.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry."

Sunset got to her feet and dusted herself off. "It's OK, the concrete broke my fall." She wasn't the least bit surprised by the events. This hadn't happened before, but with a bolt of lighting like Dash, it was sure to happen eventually.

"Are you alright?" Rainbow's voice squeaked. Puberty was a real bitch. It left her, ironically, sounding like a thirteen year old boy.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." Sunset smiled in an attempt to reassure her friend. Her aching back told her it was a lie.

"Are you sure because I'd feel really horrible if something happened to you, like you broke a leg and didn't realize it and had to live life as a cripple and couldn't do that adorable strut you do." Rainbow sped on at about a mile a second. "Oh my gosh oh my gosh I'm so sorry." Rainbow's face flushed red and she covered her mouth.

"I'm fine. However, I think you have some unresolved issues." Sunset looked at her with the patience of a monk. Twilight had been instructing her what to do if she ran across a potential friendship problem. Listen to the other party. Hear what they have to say, and look for a solution.

"OK, alright, fine, you're hot. I didn't know how you would take it, I have a huge crush on you since the Battle of the Bands. Most girls don't...like..." Rainbow trailed off.

Sunset raised an eyebrow. "Don't like what?"

"Other girls, you don't know?” Rainbow Dash said, then realized her mistake. “Oh of course. Unicorn."

"Yeah, it's no big deal in Equestria. You should see our mare/colt ratio. Something like Japan's I think. If we were all hetero, we'd be extremely sexually frustrated, and every single colt would be filthy rich. Is it like a big deal here or something?"

"Yeah, homosexuals are generally despised. Don't you watch the news?" Applejack walked up and joined the conversation.

"I'm a former megalomaniac and high school student. I don't care." She didn't even think it was exploitable; it was so commonplace where she came from. She thought of how many blackmailing opportunities she missed. Terrible habit.

"Yeah there's all these hate groups and people even want to pass discriminatory laws," Rainbow said.

"Wait that sounds like the fifties." Sunset was a foreigner in a strange land, but she knew the history well. Those straight A's didn't earn themselves. As a matter of fact, she could have fallen asleep in any class and still maintained her grades. Years of being the student of Celestia, oh the irony, lead to being a speed reader. She already cleared out this year's History book, as well as the next.

"Exactly sugar cube. I may be back-woods." Oh please, you live on the outskirts of a city of at least a million people, thought Sunset, "But even I know that ain't right."

Sunset saw the situation before her. There was a great injustice in the world that was effecting one of her friends. This was the perfect opportunity!

"What's the rough statistics for homosexuality in this world?" Sunset asked, not realizing her slip.

"About ten percent." Rainbow said. "Makes dating a pain, even if you aren't choosy."

"There are at least three thousand students at Canterlot high, meaning a rough estimate of three hundred." Three hundred Rainbows, singled out, feeling like anyone could hate them at the drop of a hat. What was a reformed villain to do but help them out? But what would they need? Rainbow was worried how she might react. A place where they can just be themselves would be great. Celestia (another terrible habit) knows, that it was hard enough to get laid in High School. Being a social pariah didn't help either.

"Couldn't we form like, a... gay club?" Sunset asked.

"That's a great idea, glad I thought of it!" Rainbow smiled that annoying smile to let everyone know she was joking.

"Oh, and for knocking me on my butt, you owe me dinner. You free at seven tonight?"

"Yes. It's a date."

Thus the day began. It wasn't so horrid.


It was lunch time; the collective high-school students' favorite time of day, when they would be granted a momentary reprieve from their prison cells of high(er) learning and talk openly to their peers. Even though most days inedible slop that resembled Jello Surprise, chilli, pizza or whatever the benevolent gods of the school board had funding for. Rainbow Dash approached with her tray to her own peers, who were already discussing something about fashion. "Rainbow dear," Rarity began, "You really would look better in jeans. I can't believe I'm saying that. Or even shorts. Show some leg; Sunset has the right idea." The comment caused the fire-haired girl to blush. Rainbow was holistically confused, as she had just walked up to the conversation, behind Rarity. She must have known she was there by osmosis or something.

"Am I being hit on?" Rainbow Dash wasn't complaining, per se, but genuinely curious. Rarity was objectively attractive. The pompous city attitude got annoying, but if propositioned...

"We've been through this, I'm asexual. Well mostly. I'm just saying you could improve your chances with the... same... sex fairly easily." The fashionista wasn't really used to saying something other than "opposite sex." The whole school came to her for dating and fashion advice. Most of them were, of course, straight. Rarity couldn’t figure out why they all came to her for advice. Many boys tried to win a date with her, but she would give a proper fashion scolding and send them on their way.

"Skirts are comfortable. I get athletic fit so I still have a lot of freedom of movement, and it's nice and cool on the undercarriage." Rainbow shrugged. Rarity scowled at Rainbow's typical lack of social grace.

"Why don't we ask Sunset's opinion on this?" Applejack goaded, causing them both to blush.

"Oh, what's this?" Rarity queried with a devious smirk.

"I kind of tackled Sunset this morning, and ended up coming out to her. To make it up to her, I have to go on a date." Rarity squealed like one would expect a highschool girl to.

"I too, think you would be more objectively attractive in skinny jeans," Sunset smirked at the thought. It was a smirking kind of day.

"Rainbow Darling, you simply must come by my boutique so I can get you ready for the date."

"Bu..." Rarity's hand cut the sentence short.

"Hup hup hup, I won't take no for an answer. And if you’re not there I will skin you alive." Rarity smiled with fake innocence.

Sunset was laughing into her palm. Rainbow Dash slammed her head against the table and groaned.

"Oh, I have to talk to the vice principals about forming a club. I didn't realize homosexuality was a big deal, but I want to try to help." Sunset rose.

"That's a marvelous idea. You'll have our full support. Isn't that right, girls?" The two that weren't speaking looked up from their meals and nodded before returning to their food.


Rainbow looked in the mirror. "You look simply marvelous, dear." Rainbow Dash had to admit it. She was currently wearing black skinny jeans, causing her to admire her own curves. Her rainbow hair had been straightened, despite protest. It flowed like a waterfall down her shoulders. Rarity insisted on doing her nails. The stubs left from kicking, throwing or chewing, were filed smooth and painted a deep red the fashionista would call "sensual." They weren't going to an extremely fancy place, and Rainbow was wearing a ruffled iridescent purple button up that hugged her form and didn't quite meet her waist. Three buttons on top undone. Below that was the white shirt with a storm cloud printed on. Rainbow was suspecting Rarity was admiring her curves as well. Really, who wouldn't? She's worked for this body, playing every sport and staying in top physical condition.

It looked good.

"I can't believe you sewed this in an hour." Rainbow motioned across the entire ensemble.

"Oh I did have some help from Sweetie, and I did have that over shirt lying around.”

"Tell her I said thanks, but I've got to get going."

"Will do. Have fun, don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"Rarity, no offence, but if I didn't do anything you wouldn't, I'd be sitting on a couch for the rest of my life."

"I kid, I kid, run along now." Rarity waved.

The door knocked. Sunset figured it was her date. She was wondering of Rainbow was only doing this out of obligation or genuine interest. Why did that really matter? She wasn’t even twenty yet. Back in Equestria she’d be expected to date just about everypony... everyone she could. She finished tying her hair back and answered the door. She could only stare in stunned silence for a time, making the situation ooze with awkwardness. "Dayum," She finally managed.

"You're lookin' good too." Sunset wore a little black dress with fake (possibly real?) diamond accents, a pearl necklace, and just a little make up. "Stunning even." Rainbow chuckled. Tension evaporated, and Sunset laughed too.

Rainbow opened the door to her sports car, "Your chariot ma'am."

"Thank you, my lady." Sunset said, adding a little sarcasm to her Canterlot training.

"I thought this place needed a reservation four months in advance?" Sunset stared at the entrance of Ruban de Lumière, a four star restaurant. The four star restaurant in town. Flash took Sunset here once, where the poor sap poured his heart out and gave Shakespeare a run for his money. Of course she cried on demand and said she felt the same way. Sunset wondered how this day would end.

“Eh, My dad owns the place.”

"Oh, glad to see you've spared no expense for our date."

"Don't bite the hand that gives you free food." The two entered, Rainbow gently dragging her date.

"Ah, Miss Dash and her date. Welcome." The snooty butler greeted. "I shall show you to the private room."

"Thank you, Jeeves."

They were taken to a small room up stairs with a view of the city. Sun had set, and Sunset found herself mesmerized by the nightscape.

"What would madams care to drink?"

"Pomegranate tea." Rainbow said.

"Oh, I love pomegranate, that sounds lovely."

"Very well madams. I will return shortly." The waiter walked away with dignified air.

"I knew your family was wealthy, but never how."

"I try to keep it on the down low. People always ask you for favors. 'Oh, Rainbow Dash, how about some free reservations,' or 'Why not mark down that skateboard deck for a good friend.'Our friends know, but that's it. A few other people at school know about my... preference."

"I'm guessing they were your other dates."

"Yep." The waiter returned with their drinks.

"Do the madam's know what they wish to order?"

"I'm in the mood for a porterhouse. Medium rare, the chef knows what I like.”

"Which of these vegetarian options would you recommend?" Sunset glanced at Rainbow, who answered "Vegetarian options? You know what, surprise the lady."

"Very well madam. It will be ready shortly."

Rainbow's brow furrowed as she thought. "Oooh, of course you're a vegetarian. The only plant-eaters I know are Fluttershy and those hippie kids. You didn't seem like the type."

"Yeah, bad girls usually eat meat." Sunset sighed. "Leather is one thing, you can just get it from cows that have died naturally, but I can't forget that I once only had incisors."

"You really have to let that go. Anyway, what did you talk to the principals about?"

"The alliance," Sunset's mood lightened, "We have to collect thirty signatures at least, and maintain that many members. We have to draft a constitution, I can take care of that. I speak legalese. Oh and a meeting schedule. Then it's up to our benevolent overlords to approve it. I don't think that will be a problem."

"That's great. You read books, right?" Sunset's eyebrows raised at the question. "Of course you do." Dash blushed at her stupid question. "So... Darring Do?" The red-haired girl's eyes lit up like the happiest sun in the universe.

"One of my favorites. I think the best one was..." The two girls talked about mutual interests while they waited, then while they ate, and for a while after that. It revolved around books and music, with a side of sports; both girls shared a technical interest in soccer. Sunset’s interest was born of a need to manipulate the soccer team. She knew the rules inside and out, and watched the team. She kept a close eye on everyone’s weakness. After they finished their meals and chatted about this, that and anything else, they left.

"Hey, you wanna go to my house and grab coffee?"

"Why would I want coffee, it's nearly nine?" Rainbow slapped herself.

"Sorry, cultural differences. Going for coffee after a date is code for 'want to have sex?'"

"Eh, why not, it's been a while." Sunset shrugged. She could ask about why there needed to be a code when the straightforward approach usually worked for her, but she accepted this world had different sexual ethics.

"I hear ya. Been too busy to really chase tail, you know."

The week passed normally. Drafting a constitution for a school club and organizing it around everyone's extracurricular schedules was tricky, but a lifetime of grooming for princesshood allowed Sunset to speak in legalese. It was a comfortable tedium. Sunset didn't feel comfortable collecting signatures. Her "trust scale" had increased since the Siren incident, but she still suspected the student body would be weary of signing anything she held. They wanted to hold on to their souls a little while longer, until they sold them to their career. On top of that, the dreaded semester tests were upon them. Sunset didn't need to study, and Rainbow Dash didn't on the principle. That didn't stop them from meeting to hit the books. They couldn't really hide it from their friends. Why would they? Playful flirting was too much fun, especially when it caused the other four to cringe. There wasn't a whole lot of emotional attachment on either side, but they hammed it up in public just so people would stare at them, disgusted. Of course, Rarity was eating it like candy. To think that her two friends were dating they were so cute together!

Valiant effort pays off, unfortunately High School students do not have effort in great amounts. They collected a whopping sum of thirty-five signatures for the Alliance. Not for lack of trying, mind, but more that the students did not put forth the effort to raise a pen to the form. One student, who looked to be more fragile than glass, claimed to be allergic to forms. Fortunately for him, Fluttershy was the one to ask. He was sent away with an apologetic smile and an oatmeal cookie, after she confirmed it would be alright, and profusely apologized. . The first meeting was supposed to start in five minutes.

"W-What if nobody shows up?" Fluttershy stammered.

Rainbow scoffed, "Please, there's like, five girls that totally want to bang me."

"I thought you and Sunset?" Rarity asked, perplexed.

"Well, see, there's emotion, and then there's sex. There are lots of hot girls around here."

"Honestly, who cares about monogamy in High School?" Sunset asked, and nobody knew how serious she was.

The door opened to an unexpected sight. Sweetie Belle walked in, then Scootaloo who was being shoved by Apple Bloom.

"Welcome to the Alliance." Rainbow greeted. "I was hoping you girls would show up." She got up and gave her sister a big hug. "So, are you here for support, Apple Bloom, or is there something you'd like to tell us?" Rainbow chuckled.

"As far as I know, I'm straight, but those two are my best fiends. Why wouldn't I need an excuse to hang out with them?" Apple Bloom crossed her arms.

"Well there went twenty bucks." Rainbow took out her wallet and passed a bill to Fluttershy. "So, how's Juliet and... Juliet." Applejack snorted at the metaphor.

"Still sneaking around like a bunch of cat burglars, stealing kisses and sneaking out at night. Oh, thanks again Rarity."

"Who am I to stand in the way of forbidden love?" Rarity sighed wistfully.

Collectively, the freshmen realized there were six others in the room, and one of them was Sunset Shimmer. They all stared at her for a while, deciding if they should run. Rainbow looked to see what had frozen Scootaloo.

"Sunset is a friend remember? I trust her. She's kept my secret for a while, and even a few others."

Scootaloo decided to be the big girl. "If Rainbow trusts you, then I will. Sorry." The other two apologized as well.

"I forgive you, truth be told if I was you I wouldn't trust me either."

Rainbow nodded. "Scoots, if you want to talk to me about anything in the world, just call, text, or whatever, you know that."

Lyra and Bon Bon showed up, and no one was surprised. Octavia and Vinyl Scratch did as well. The two musicians sat in separate parts of the room. While she was placing bets on her fellow classmates, Rainbow had a fiver going on Vinyl being mute, and a twenty Octy and her were in love. Looks like she wasn't getting that any time soon. A musclebound jock that would have made Rarity drool, if drooling wasn't unladylike, walked in with a tiny guy from math club around his waist. More and more filed in, ran by an internal clock that demanded they show up when the announcement said: 4:00. No more, no less.

"Alright, Everyone's here! We're gonna have so much fun!" Pinkie bounced around.

"What kinda fun?" Scootaloo asked.

"Excuse her, she's on the tail end of puberty," Sweetie quipped. The room was already in an uproar. Ice broken, Sunset started.

"Well, um, let's start off with some introductions. I think Pinkie had a plan to liven it up." Out of nowhere, the pink-haired girl produced a ball about the size of her head.

"It's simple! We toss the ball around and wherever your hand catches it, you have to answer the question. And give your name, all that good stuff! Then you can get a cupcake!" Pinkie was, of course, a genius. Everyone loves free food! The girl nonchalantly passed the ball to Rainbow Dash, who caught it with ease.

"You all know me. I'm Rainbow Dash, I'm awesome, single file ladies, and uhhh." She looked at the ball and read. "skim, 1%, or 2%? Huh, I only drink whole. Gotta feed the muscles you know." She flexed for the sake of punctuation. She turned around and tossed it, not giving much thought to it.

After introductions the meeting was interrupted by the principals. "Hello, students." The fair-skinned one began, "I'm thrilled that one of your own, Sunset Shimmer took the time to organize something like this. I was young once too, and I know High School can be difficult. While differences should be celebrated, everyone needs a community of friends where they can relax a little more and be themselves, without an act."

Then Luna took over. "We would like to remind everyone of the school’s policy on bullying. We take every measure we can to ensure that it will not happen, and when it does, it will be dealt with. If any of you have a problem, our doors are always open. Unfortunately It slipped our mind when we were talking to Sunset about the requirements for a club, you need a sponsor. That said, I have my own introduction to give. I'm Luna, and I'm a lesbian. "

"Guys, you have any ideas?" Sunset asked the room from her desk. They all pointed to Luna.

"It would be my privilege."

"We were just about to do one crucial vote." Sunset continued. Celestia dismissed herself, grumbling about paperwork. "Most of you have taken government, right?" about three fourths of the room nodded. "So Rainbow has briefed me on the situation. You probably have problems at home with your parents, in like half the cases. On top of that, you're all teenagers, believe me, I know. People telling you what to do is the worst thing in the world. Thus, I propose the club be a flat democracy. Anyone can suggest anything, no presidents, no nothing. Execution relies on volunteers. All in favor?"
The room was a cascade of "I."
"Opposed?" Sunset paused. "Motion is passed." She jotted down some notes on paper. "Well, see, I said, that, but we still have to figure out a few things, like what do we actually want to do?"

The jock spoke up, "Well, it's like you said. We have pressure from home and school to act a certain way. Let's just have a place where we can have fun and drop our masks, talk about issues or something. Play games maybe?" He scratched his neck.

"Do we have a second for um..." she chewed her pen, trying to be official in phrasing. Old habits, etc. "safe-space?"

"Well, I know I want my friends to be comfortable, so I'll second." Apple Bloom raised her hand.

"Very good, all in favor?" Again, everyone assented.

"Oh! I'll bring the games! I have lots of board games at my house!" Pinkie beamed.

"Excuse me, Pinkamina," Luna said, "Do you have Mecha-Destructor Three?"

"Yep, it's one of my favorites!"

She rose up as she issued the challenge, pointing dramatically. Luna didn't raise her voice often, but this was one such occasion. "Prepare to have your high score defeated!"

"We'll see about that." Pinkie smiled innocently.

Rainbow said something next, stopping bouncing the ball. "I'm actually a hardcore activist. I write my senators and all that good stuff. Not to steal credit, but I wanted to form an alliance but never had time. So I propose that be a part of it."

"I'll second the move for activism." Sunset said. "All in favor?" No dissent. "It's my understanding you have stuff like 'days of silence.' We'll point those out, but participation isn't required. With that the boring part of the meeting is adjourned. Which means it's Pinkie's turn."

"Let's get this party started!"

It was Friday. While the day was better than the rest of the week, it wasn't anything to write home about. It was like voting for the least-damaging candidate at high school elections. None of it mattered, but the one promised to do nothing usually won. Tomorrow was a good day; it was the weekend. Weekends were good days.

Six friends sat in a cafe, casually chatting over roasted beans shot with boiling bullets-- otherwise known as espresso.

"Ok guys, we have to see Dead Bunnies Three, the Undeading," Rainbow said, adding just enough drama to the title.

"Um, I think I'll sit that one out, but I'd like to see The Moleskine."

"A romcom? Really? I just don't see why you think they're good movies Fluffers."

"Never had you pegged for a cinema snob." Sunset poked the athlete on the shoulder.

"I'll go and see it, but don't be surprised if I bust out laughing and have to get thrown out."

"That's why I like them." Fluttershy giggled.

Rainbow's phone went off, filling the air with "Awesome as I Wanna Be." "Yo. Scoots? Woah, slow down. Are you OK? Good. Where are you? I'll be there in ten seconds." She hung up, "Sorry, I have to go." She rushed out the door, catching only a portion of her friends cheering her on. She hopped on her motorcycle and sped off.

"You think she needs our help?" Sunset asked. This was probably a great opportunity for a lesson in friendship. Supposedly it was stronger than even equestrian magic. Not that she lusted for power any longer, no. But try to think, something better than what you devoted your life to. Who would continue down that path, and not switch to the greater? None that could claim themselves as a student of anything.

"I think this is between sisters, but if she needs us we'll be there," said Rarity, trying to mask her worry with a smile.

Rainbow parked her motorcycle against a tree and ran over to the bench her sister was sitting on. She was crying. Rainbow tore off her helmet mid-sprint, and screeched to a halt in front of Scootaloo. Her very presence seemed to dry the girl's tears.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I was skating home with Sweetie, gave her a tiny kiss when we parted ways. We do that a lot. I don't. I don't. I don't.” Scootaloo gasped for air. “Think they saw us, it wasn't possible. When I got home there was a stack of Playboy on the coffee table. They found my stache. They, they, were giving me a lecture. Condemned to hell and all that fucking shit. I wasn't going..." Scootaloo took a staggered breath. "I wasn't going to live like that again. I found a piece of happiness. It was right in front of me the whole time. I chewed them out. Said some mean things. They kicked me out. The funny shit is, when I started putting my stuff in a box, they said they weren't serious. I said: 'I was.' More like yelled really."

Rage filled Rainbow's lungs, but pride swelled her heart. Scoots’ parents weren't the greatest in the world. Her sister had stood up for herself, and demanded she be respected. It wasn't returned. Morality was more black and white than people let on. If it wasn’t good for you, then acting against it is the only choice you have. Nonviolence is prefered, of course, but sometimes that can’t be helped. Scootaloo was right in this situation, and her parents could burn in the fiery pits of hell for their sins, if the pits existed. It was really that simple.

"Right. You're staying with me. You have your stuff?" Scootaloo tapped a small box of things, under the bench.

"Are you sure?"

"Where else are you going to go, dumby?"

Scootaloo seemed to genuinely think about the question. "Ok, fair point."

"Put that box in the saddlebags and hop on."

Despite herself, Scootaloo always gawked at Rainbow's house. House wasn't the right word, really. A mansion. White marble pillars, two stories. The Greeks would have marveled at the architecture. Rainbow opened the door like she didn’t notice any of these things. Of course she didn't; she lived here. And now, so did Scootaloo?

"Oh, hello, you're home early." Rainbow's mom said. "Dinner still isn't ready."

"Don't worry about it. Some things came up." Rainbow moved to one side, revealing the scared little girl.

Why was she shaking? Why did she suddenly have a horrible case of heartburn? She shouldn't be! She was the bravest little girl ever! Scootaloo stood up a little straighter, and tried to act like she wasn't cowering in fear seconds ago.

"What's got her scared?" Her mom asked. Rainbow let her sister answer, giving her the cue by gently nudging her.

"Um, well, Mrs. Dash."

"Oh please, drop the pretense, Prism is fine."

"Well, I'm gay, and uh, my parents found out, and I got kicked out."

Prism's eyes widened in horror. "Who kicks out their own daughter? The nerve! I'll give them the talking too of their life! Oh, please come in, make yourself at home. Literally, move in. We have so many rooms it's not funny."

"I better call the girls and let them know everything is OK." Rainbow thought out loud.

"Everything is OK? Really!? HOW is any of this OK? I just got kicked out, I'll probably never speak to my family again, I have a personal bully that wears a faggoty tiara everywhere, and now I have to rely on the kindness of others...again! Look how well that's worked out! My own parents didn't want me! Once you have to deal with me for more than five minutes you’ll throw me out too! Everything's OK?” She screamed, "I'd say things are pretty fucking far from OK!" Scootaloo swung a fist, which landed firmly in Rainbow's stomach, doubling her over. Scootaloo collapsed to her knees. "I'm so sorry. Please don’t kick me out." She cried, tears flowing like a river. “I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry.” Much to her surprise, Scootaloo found herself being hugged, rather violently by Prism. She couldn’t breathe, they were trying to kill her! This shit always happened! She fucks up, people hate her but they never went this far before. She flailed her arms trying to get free, but Prism was stronger. “Shhh, shh, you’re ok.” Rainbow’s mom kept repeating.

Eventually Scootaloo gave up on her struggle. She realized Rainbow’s mom was crying. The embrace wasn’t threatening, it was protective. Already Prism didn’t want anything bad to happen to this girl she barely knew.

"Feel better?" Prism wheezed. Rainbow leaned on a wall to recuperate. Scootaloo sobbed what sounded like an affirmative. “We would never kick you out. We love you.”

At that tiny little word, love, Scootaloo lost control again. She cried and even wailed. She was afraid. There weren’t a whole lot of people that said those words, but most of them were liars. That can’t be true, but she still had a nagging suspicion.

Scootaloo retreated to her room until she was called for dinner. She ate quickly, not saying a word as the family talked and hurled playful insults at each other. She mumbled “Thank you, may I be excused?” and left. They didn’t stop her. They knew she needed space. About five hundred miles away from anyone else would be best, but she didn’t have that luxury.

Scootaloo's phone vibrated. She was working through a particularly annoying annoying algebra problem and welcomed the distraction. It was a text from Sweetie. A very welcome distraction. Rarity told me what happened. It sucks, are you alright? <3
The girl quickly typed a reply. Yeah. It's awful, but I have you, and I guess the Dashss.
If you need to talk, you know where I'll be. Or smooch, et. al.
What's et al?
and others Scootaloo's mind went all sorts of places with that one.
You any good at algebra? Scootaloo already knew the answer.
No, but Bloom is. She's gonna be an engineer or something.
Love you. I think I'll talk to her tomorrow. I'm getting a headache. She switched who she was contacting to Apple Bloom. Hey, you free tomorrow, I need an algebra tutor.
Five minutes later, she got a reply. I'd love to help. i'll be busy until about seven. Stop by ‘round then.
K. Scootaloo folded up her algebra book. Well, now what? She decided to cross the hall to Rainbow's room. She forgot to knock, and barged in on her laying on the bed wearing only a brassiere and panties, tapping out a rhythm to whatever she had playing from her computer, and working on something that looked like more advanced algebra. Ew. The older girl looked to the door. "Oh Hi. What's up?" Scootaloo gawked. "Well don't be intimidated, we're just girls." Scootaloo finally regained control of her legs and took a step in, shutting the door behind her.

"Sorry, it's just the only other girls I've seen... like that... are either in a magazine or Sweetie."

"Did you want to talk or was it your plan to catch me in my undies?"

Scootaloo's cheeks flushed red. "Oh, no no no. Um." She originally came to ask a completely different question, but the words tumbled out of her mouth. “Do your parents love you?”

"Do what?"

“Do your parents love you, or is it all an act?" Rainbow scooted up on the bed, leaning against a pillow. Scootaloo saw the purple blotch on her hard stomach. "Did I do that?" She pointed.

"You pack a wallop. I’m fine, don’t worry. Of course they do. If you ever need help, talk to mom, dad, or me. I can understand why you wouldn’t trust anyone who says ‘love’, except Sweetie I’m guessing?” Scootaloo nodded so slightly Rainbow barely saw it. “But I don’t just toss the word 'love' around. From the bottom of my heart, Scootaloo, I love you. You’re my sister, and I’ll always be there for you. Always.”

“Even after I punched you?” Scootaloo sobbed.

“You could beat me into a bloody pulp and I’d still love you. But don’t, please?” Rainbow pleaded.

“I won’t. I promise.” The girl blinked back tears, “I’m gonna go… work on homework or something.”

Rainbow Dash noticed the sobbing, and decided to give her sister some time. She had a lot to let out.

Scootaloo lay face up on her bed, arms and legs sprawled. She stopped crying a while ago, but let the torrent of questions she had run over her. What could she possibly do to deserve being kicked out and hated by her own family? Furthermore, what did she do to find someone like the Dashes? Was she even worthy of them? They seemed to be just fine with Rainbow being a flaming lesbian. There was a light tapping on her door. That was new. If her parents wanted her they would either yell to summon her, or barge right in.

“Come in,” she droned. To her half-surprise, it was Prism.

“I know that look. That’s the ‘my life is terrible’ position.” She took a seat at the desk, resting her arms on the back. She looked around the room. A few of Scootaloo’s nicknacks were placed in shelves or on the floor. She looked to the closet and found… nothing.

“Do you even have clothes?”

“Yeah like five sets. Heck I packed my whole closet. I’m not that stupid. Why?”

“Is that all?”

“Yeah, I didn’t want mom buying me stuff, but she didn’t let me go out shopping a lot either. Money was too tight or something.”

Prism Dash formulated a plan and stowed it for later. “Scootaloo, I know there’s about three people in the world you trust and I’m not one of them, but just listen for a sec. I remember the first day you walked into the shop. You were like my twelfth customer. You bubbled with enthusiasm explaining everything to your father. That’s the girl I know. I’d give you the entire stock if I thought I could see that face again. I knew, right then, two things. One, I opened the shop for a good reason. Two, that reason wasn’t even profit.” Prism let her great and profound statement hang in the air.

“Well what was it?”

“It was to help boys and girls find something to like. A hobby, a passion. Anything. Mostly, it was to see that face you made on others. You remind me a lot of me. You’re bold. You didn’t even put up with your parents. I kept with mine until I was eighteen. I-- let me tell you a little something about me. My father used to beat me. It didn’t do much, I just got craftier at avoiding punishment. I thought it was normal, honestly, until I went to college and met my first girlfriend. Just experimenting, you know. I managed to break a plate while doing the dishes and was shocked I wasn’t bent over and spanked. I was twenty goddamn years old and my first thought was ‘I hope mom doesn’t find out.’ We don't want you, or anyone, to be scared like that. We’re pretty lax on rules around here. I won’t hurt you. I couldn’t do it, and my husband is a big teddy bear. I have to kill the spiders, he won’t touch them.”

Scootaloo chuckled. “Oh, good you’re laughing now.” Prism rose, “If you ever need anything from us, just to talk or some decorations for your room, come get us. I want you to be as comfortable as possible.” Prism left. Scootaloo stayed in her room, save for taking a shower and preparing for bed. She went to sleep.

Scootaloo found herself in a lush, green meadow. It looked to be spring, which wasn’t quite accurate. This was probably a dream, considering she never saw such an array of colorful flowers in one place. They almost formed a rainbow… Before she could think further on the pattern of flowers around her, A shape buzzed in. It was larger than she thought could be capable of flight, and tiny wings beating so fast she couldn’t see them. The shape came into view and she saw it was… her? It was a pegasus with tiny wings indeed. Purple hair, same style too, and an orange coat a bit darker than her skin. Yeah, this was totally a dream. The filly landed next to her. Scootaloo found herself holding a box of sugar cubes. She opened the box and it was completely normal inside, one inch cubes of sugar. She knelt down and fed one to the filly who took it with glee. It--She made more facial expressions than Scootaloo thought possible for a pony. She scratched between the pegasus’s wings, who very much enjoyed it, whickering with joy.

The filly folded up her misshapen wings. Now that she was close, Scootaloo could see that they weren’t supposed to get off the ground. They were too small, and to make matters worse one side was just a little larger, so she couldn’t fly evenly, if she got of the ground at all. The filly unfolded her wings again, and this time they were large and majestic. They seemed to touch the sky. These were wings meant to fly. The filly seemed to give motions with her hoof, indicating to get on her back. Scootaloo did so, what could go wrong, it was just a dream.

The filly took off with stuttering, careful grace, like she wasn’t quite used to the wings. The sky was beautiful. Scootaloo could breathe up here, above the humid forest floor. She caught a glimpse of the meadow, and saw a rainbow of flowers like she suspected. Moved by an outer force, she stood straight up on the filly pegasus’s back and held her arms wide, proclaiming herself queen.

The filly landed on a cloud. Well, a city made of cloud. Great nimbus rose for houses, shorter cumulus for factories, it must be. Rainbows dripped from pools from runoff from some of the buildings, off into the sky. The filly gently cantored to what must have been a house. It looked familiar, but she couldn’t quite place it. The door opened, light shone through, brighter than the sun.

GODDAMNET. The one symbolic dream she’s ever had and she wakes up before the symbol! It… what does it mean? The filly seemed happy to return home, so it couldn’t have been her parents. The only way she’d be happy to see them is their funeral. Wow, that’s a bit harsh. Scootaloo didn’t apologize for thinking it, and instead looked at her arms, reminding her why she felt this way. She ground her teeth and pinched off tears.

She thought about Prism, how she actually seemed to care about Scootaloo’s feelings, after taking her in for only a minute. Her actual mother would practically punctuate each sentence with “I love you,” but Scootaloo wondered if she meant it. She always talked about how disappointing her only child was, when she thought that child was in her room listening to music or doing homework. She always compared Scootaloo to her father. The one that had a job at twelve because that’s just what people did back then, never mind now. The one ladies swooned over. Mother wanted Scootaloo to find a man like that. She would bring it up at dinner tables, in the rare instances they shared a meal. “Scootaloo, have you found a man yet?” She made it sound like a joke, but nobody in the house ever laughed. Laughter requires joy, not a sword of expectations hanging above your head.

For the first month after she tried coming out, she would literally bite her tongue to keep from saying “No you damn cow, and I won’t ever! I’m a goddamn lesbian. That mean’s I like girls.” Instead she would excuse herself and…. Scootaloo looked at her arms again. She wanted to maul something. Badly. A wolf, or maybe a griffon, perhaps even a manticore, or some large and aggressive beast of fantasy, raged within her. Rend, sever, kill, tear. She wanted to shred apart her mattress, smash the desk to splinters and kick the wall in.

Scootaloo opened the window and climbed out. It was all she could do. Just going for a walk at… about two in the morning to clear her head. Nothing unusual about it.


Humans have a tendency to run to a person or place that makes them feel safe. At this time of day, two of the five places she knew well were closed. The skatepark and the shop. On the walk she realised she needed more hobbies. The school was locked up, not that she particularly liked being there, but it was alone and secluded. A prison of sorts, trapping her with her thoughts. Maybe that’s what she needed. She certainly couldn’t go back to her parent’s house. That would spell their victory, her defeat.

But instead of any of those, her feet led her to Sweetie’s house. Well, now that I’m here… Scootaloo was intimately familiar with the location of Sweetie’s bedroom. She picked up a pebble and took aim, like she remembered seeing once in a movie or something.

The pebble was too big, or the glass too flimsy, or her arm was better than she thought. The rock punched a clean hole through the window, and she could barely hear glass tinkling. The light turned on quickly and Sweetie rushed to the window. Scootaloo briefly thought that wasn’t the safest thing to do. She could have been a shooter or something. If it was possible for looks to kill, Sweetie was going to have to get her eyes registered. Scootaloo wished she were dead. Sweetie opened the window and yelled “Pardon my French, but what the Fuck, Scootaloo?” The tone of voice would have to be registered too. Scootaloo fell to her knees and collapsed on the sidewalk, crying. She hit the concrete with a fist. It hurt like seven layers of Hell but she didn’t really care at the moment. She found herself being dragged by an arm into a glowing light of the living room. This was it. This was where she dies. Sweetie Belle would kill her. That was the biggest act of vandalism she ever committed. She was done. It’s all over.

Scootaloo found herself on the couch, with her girlfriend’s face right in front of her. Their lips met, and if this was punishment, she welcomed it.

“You looked like you needed cheering up.”

"You're not mad?" Scootaloo blinked.

"I'm mad as hell. First off, it's two thirty in the morning! Second, some hooligan broke my window!" Sweetie noticed Scootaloo's shaking hands and lowered her tone. "I'm completely furious, but you must have some reason."

Rarity walked in, sipping from a small white mug, containing a black liquid that smelled like Scootaloo thought Death might. Not a dead thing, but Death the thing. She wore a plush white bathrobe. “No, it’s ok, I’ll sleep when I’m dead.” Rarity’s face turned even more sour for two-thirty in the morning. She had been designing a dress until about midnight and had to wake up at six. She decided it was best to just give up on sleep for today. “From lack of sleep.” She sighed greatly. “No one’s hurt right?” The two girls nodded. “If it were a more reasonable hour I would comment on how romantically cliche that was. Throwing a pebble at your lover’s window. I’m surprised you didn’t recite Shakespeare." Rarity groaned. "If you need me, I just remembered I was so caught up with the dress I didn’t do my homework. Fuck.” Scootaloo never realized it was possible for curses to sound high-class. “You can stay here tonight unless you want to walk back.” Rarity left, grumbling about how small her paycheck was, or something.

Sweetie Bell handed Scootaloo a steaming mug of something with a floral scent. “It’s called herbal tea. Supposedly this blend is supposed to calm you down, and you need all the help you can get.” Sweetie sat down on the couch. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“You realize how stupid that sounds right?”

“I… It’s a reflex. Everything.”

“Well go on?”

“I should just let you get to sleep.”

“Scootaloo I will repeatedly slap you for not only waking me up at two thirty in the morning, but also for wasting your girlfriend’s time for not telling her why. So why?”

“Do… do you love me?”

“Is that all? Of course I love you.” Scootaloo thought she would never hear a more true statement. She compared it to Rainbow Dash’s words, and Prism’s.

“No, that’s not it. I just wanted to hear it.” Scootaloo smiled.

“You’re still about thirty seconds away from a slapping.”

“It’s just… you know, Rainbow practically adopted me today. That’s great. I can’t help but think my parents will barge in. I’m literally kidnapped. They’ll find me, somehow, they have bloodhounds of some kind I’m sure. They’ll knock on their door and take me away, and the Dashes will let them take me because who want’s a legal fight?”

“Well, the Dashes are rolling in money, so I wouldn’t dismiss that so easily. They might just do it for you, and not just for you, but to set an example for the courts. I can’t say I know them that well, but they’ll do the right thing.”

“And should I be… loyal to my parents or something?”

Sweetie held a distant stare at the coffee table, like she was straining to recall some words she read. “Loyalty is earned, not a birthright.” She turned back to Scootaloo “From what I gathered I wouldn’t even speak to them. It takes a person a lot stronger than me to go through what you did. They were basically abusing you.”

Scootaloo looked at her cup. She had finished her tea without thinking.

“What if… What if the Dashes kick me out.”

“You realize how stupid that sounds right? They took you in, and you’ll stay with them. Can we go to bed now?”

“Yeah, I think I’m good.” Scootaloo got up and rinsed her mug on instinct. Sweetie was giving her a ‘come on so we can get naked’ stare.

Sweetie was in her pajamas but had put on a bathrobe when the incident started. She fixed the window with duct tape and called it good. Since Scootaloo didn’t really own pajamas anyway, she had gotten dressed in her day clothes for her walk. She stripped to her panties and climbed in bed. Sweetie turned to the side and faced her, draping an arm around her and holding her close. She smelled kind of like the tea, but with more… sugar. Sleep came easy in that embrace.

Sweetie’s alarm was more of a fog-horn. And here Scootaloo was having a wonderful dream, before it was so rudely interrupted. But alas, it was time for school. Sweetie accidentally slapped Scootaloo on the way to the off button. The bed was suddenly smaller than she remembered from the night. Sweetie grunted an apology.

The two girls started getting dressed, and for the first time in what Sweetie realized had been a year, she saw her friend’s arms. She furiously grabbed her girlfriend’s arm and turned to the softer flesh of the wrist. Tears filled her eyes.

“Why would you do this?”

Scootaloo flushed red. Her secret was out. “Sometimes… I’m stupid. I told my parents I might have been gay a year ago, and… well, I thought I could be the good kid and hurt myself every time I thought of…” Oh God, she couldn’t actually say it. How would she react? Would she...

“What?”

“You… or another girl.” Scootaloo was lightly slapped by Sweetie’s backhand, who then grabbed her by the chin and pulled her into a kiss.

“You’re right, that was stupid. I love you. Don’t ever hurt yourself again. If you need to talk, you have all of us.”

“I love you. I stopped cutting a while ago. I won’t ever do it again.”

Sweetie nodded. “Good.”

They finished dressing and made their way to the kitchen, where Rarity had prepared breakfast. Which means she retrieved eclairs out of the fridge and brewed lattes.

“Scootaloo, dear, how do you like your coffee?”

“I’m allowed to have coffee?” Scootaloo cocked her head.

“You seem like a mocha cappuccino type of girl…” Rarity busied herself with preparing another mug. She finished the mix with a light sprinkling of cinnamon. She made a catholic cross on the coffee, in penance for what she was about to unleash on the world.

Scootaloo took a sip, and ended up with a foam mustache that she licked off. “Wow, tastes like drinking a chocolate bar. I thought coffee was bitter.”

“It can be. If you drink this straight like I was at two thirty, it could…. how would Applejack put it? Peel the skin off your eyeballs. This is a double macchiato. Sweetie likes sugar cookie lattes, because I guess she needs a sugar fix in the morning. Oh, and I informed Rainbow Dash where you were sleeping so don’t worry about it.” Rarity rubbed her temples in clear agony. “I need to stop doing all nighters.”

“She says this at least twice a week.” Scootaloo was unsure if it was appropriate to laugh, but nobody else did, so she didn’t either. To be fair, it seemed like Rarity and Sweetie were both struggling to say every word. The table was quiet, and slowly Rarity’s face of pain melted away.

Scootaloo sipped her coffee like it was a precious gift from the gods. It was still gone far too quickly. “Can I have some more?”

“Trust me, that will be more than enough. Besides, it’s time to go.” Rarity grimaced.

Shortly after arriving on the school grounds, Rarity was approached by Rainbow Dash. “Hey, can I ask you a favor…” Scootaloo didn’t hear the rest as they parted ways. She tried to ignore her trembling hands. And calves. And how her heart seemed to flutter. Maybe a little less on the coffee. Well, at least Rainbow didn’t appear to be angry. She realized she kind of did a stupid thing. Well, about three. She walked off in the middle of the night, vandalized Rarity’s home and then slept there. School was… well, it was school. At that time of life it blows for any reason you could think of. Something halfway interesting happened at lunch. “Apparently,” Sweetie Belle said, “Rarity wants you to come with us after school. She refuses to say what for.”

Scootaloo’s heart skipped a beat. Was Rainbow kicking her out for her stupid midnight walk? Surely not! She said she loved her. She was her sister. A voice in the back of her mind said She betrayed you, like anyone who says those words. She looked at her girlfriend and told the voice to shut up. Surprisingly, it did. “OK.” A few minutes later, Rainbow trailed by the table and dropped off her phone.

“Kid, you left this.” She said, and walked on.

“Wait!” Scootaloo caused Rainbow to stop and pivot on one foot. “You’re not mad?” Rainbow sighed.

“Kid, I was worried to death when you weren’t in your room. I was going to call you but I saw Rarity’s text,” Her older sister blinked rapidly to keep back tears. “Scoots, don’t run off like that. I was so scared. No, I’m not mad. I’m happy you’re OK, worried about you, and want to help. If you want to talk, even in the middle of the night, come to me. Heck, I have borderline insomnia so you won’t bother me. Just please don’t scare me like that again.”

“I promise. What does Rarity want?”

"That's a surprise, but I think you'll like it."