• Published 27th Jul 2015
  • 1,874 Views, 73 Comments

Roads of Life - PonyWrites



High School is tough. It's even tougher if you're gay. Scootaloo is doing the best she can, but maybe the world has different ideas.

  • ...
28
 73
 1,874

Chapter 5 -- Bookstore Meetings and Revelations

Scootaloo didn’t much appreciate being dragged along to a bookstore, but since her sister had the vehicle with a motor, she got to decide where they went after school. Scootaloo could skate home, but she was truly more curious as to why Rainbow Dash wanted to go to a bookstore. As it turns out, one A.K. Yearling (no relation to the teacher) was on a book tour and signing in that store. Rainbow Dash waited in line, shaking in anticipation. Apparently she had a rare first edition hardback that she needed signed to complete her collection. Scootaloo was left absentmindedly browsing the books. She found one with an interesting spine about two inches thick. She took it off the shelf, surprised people read books so big, and opened it about midway.

“Face it on your feet, sheepherder.” Scootaloo’s mouth contorted in thought. What an odd statement to stumble on. This bookstore had a coffee shop, so she put the book back and ordered the largest, most ridiculous sounding thing she could think of. It was delicious. The day was shaping up to be a boring routine. Go to school, sit around, leave, sit around some more. At least today had coffee. Coffee was nice. It wasn’t bad, per se, but it was a day. It could always be worse.

“Face it on your feet,” she suddenly recalled.

They had just opened the door to leave when it happened. Her parents walked in. Well this ordinary, mundane day just got shot straight to hell, the bits ground up into a fine paste, mixed with habanero peppers, and then snorted by a crack-addict off of a chunk of C4. That was on fire. Both parties stood in stunned silence for a moment. “Well, she’s not dead.” Her father signed. Whether it was relief or disappointment, nobody could tell. Rainbow Dash decided to play mediator and directed them all to the cafe so they could sit down and talk like mostly rational people. Scootaloo doubted this would get very far.

“Thank goodness you’re alright,” Her mother pleaded. “We were so worried.”

“I don’t buy that for a second. You didn’t even call. You just expect me to believe you give a shit about my well being after two weeks?”

“Scootaloo, I know we haven’t been the best parents--” her father started.

“Do you have any idea what it’s like to not feel loved in your own home? To be forced to hide who you are so that your parents might just say three tiny words? Three words that you’ve wanted to hear all your life?” Stinging tears teased her eyes but she didn’t want to let them see her cry.

“Scootaloo, we just want what’s best for you,” her mother restated, like she had countless times.

“Yeah, and what the hell is that? A husband, two and a half kids, white picket fence and a beagle named dog? So you can have the life you wanted by living through me?”

“What’s wrong with that life? It’s good, stable, your neighbors won’t stare at you.” Her father said.

“That life isn’t me! I don’t want to settle down. Life is one big adventure waiting to happen. I won’t ‘settle’ for anything. If I want something I’ll go get it. If I want to be an astronaut I’ll try my damndest. If I want to be a pro skater, I’ll be a damn pro skater. And whatever happens, I will face it on my feet.” Scootaloo rose. “And nobody, not even family,” she spat the word, “can keep me from those goals. She started walking to the door. Rainbow took that as her cue to leave. She left her sister alone for the time. Best to let magma cool before you tried to touch it. Scootaloo rushed to her room like a hurricane that caused an earthquake and slammed the door.

Rainbow Dash decided she had better give her sister another twenty minutes or so...

Rainbow Dash opened the door slowly. So slowly. So very very slowly. This was her mistake. She was met to a calculator to the abdomen, a phone that hit her shoulder, and a book flying to her face. She deflected the book and tanked the rest. She had an idea of why she was target practice at the moment, but she couldn’t back down. Never, ever back down. She dodged a few more projectiles Scootaloo had at the ready. She pounced on Scootaloo, restraining her and giving her a hug, though the younger likely didn’t see it that way. Scootaloo squirmed and squirmed until she started crying. Confident the danger to her body had passed, Rainbow released her.

And earned herself a black eye.

Rainbow’s voice was calm. “You done?”

“What the fuck is wrong with you!” Scootaloo screeched. “You were supposed to protect me from them, but you just sat there with your dumb smile, trying not to get involved. You don’t give a fuck about me! You want me to go back there and live with them because they’re my parents. You… You were trying to get rid of me!”

“Scootaloo, it’s not my job to be your champion. I won’t stand in for a fight you have to face. As much as I hate your parents too, any progress won’t be from me, but you and them. You said it yourself. Face it on your feet. Not mine, not anyone else’s. I get hating your parents. Mine get on my nerves sometimes, but they don’t downright disapprove of me. I don’t expect you to forgive them, I don’t even expect you to talk to them. But I cannot fight this battle for you. What do you is up to you. I won’t stand in your way, but I will be right behind, to keep you from falling over. And I promise we aren’t going to get rid of you. Come hell or high-water, you’re with us now.”

“Swear?”

“I can get a stack of religious texts and sports magazines if you want.”

Scootaloo giggled. “Good enough. Sorry I keep beating you up.”

“I heal.”

“Scoots,” Apple Bloom said as she warmed some virgin cider on the stove. The chill of winter had started to leave, but it wasn’t gone yet. Kind of like a rash. Or a really tricky math problem that the two had worked out over the course of nearly two hours. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure?”

“What’s it like to be gay?”

“You ever had a crush on a boy? I know you’ve had boyfriends.”

Apple Bloom glanced around suspiciously. “I guess you could say that. Rumble is kinda cute, and that one boy with the purple hair...” Oh no, she said too much!

“Your stomach get all queasy when you think about them too long, or look at them? Can’t think about anything else?”

“Yeah.” Apple Bloom was glad Scootaloo couldn’t see her blush.

“Well it’s exactly like that, just toward different people. Two weeks ago when I was still a closet case I couldn’t even look at sugar without thinking of Sweetie. I was trying to be in denial and not in denial at the same time.” Apple Bloom poured the warmed cider into mugs. “But that’s not important.”

“Huh. I guess it’s that simple. I thought it’d be… weirder.”

“Nah, we’re just like everyone else.” Scootaloo sighed at the table.

“Sorry, I just didn’t understand. I dunno, I guess I got some misconception somewhere that… ya felt different.” Apple Bloom sat the mugs on the table.

“No, no, you’re fine. I just ran into my parents yesterday and keep thinking about it. It’s got me kind of on edge.”

“Want to talk about ‘em?”

“I guess I should.” Scootaloo began weaving her tale, recalling events of the past and how much they affected her. They never really let her have or do anything. She just wanted a pet gecko. It would spend most of it’s life in a tank. But no. Too much responsibility. She was barely allowed to leave the house. The only reason she could skate to school was because it was three blocks away. She couldn’t join the soccer team because her grades were abysmal. OK, maybe that one was fair, but when she actually tried, they said they didn’t have time. Then what was the point of trying? Within no time her grades were back in the pit of failure.

She finally sighed after her telling was done, third mug of cider gone. “Thanks for listening.”

“No problem. My brother always says the only thing good to come out of the past is history. It will affect you today, but you get to chose how. So go get a gecko and join the soccer team.”

Scootaloo thought about it for a moment. “Thanks. And thanks for helping with algebra.”

“I wouldn’t be much of a friend if I let my friends fail.” Scootaloo and Apple Bloom exchanged a few niceties before the two parted ways. Apple Bloom leaned against the wall in the kitchen and sunk to the floor, hands on her head. She tried to keep from crying. It was a fruitless cause.

“What’s got you down in the dumps?” Applejack’s voice asked.

“I’m… attracted to Scootaloo.”

“Well, you got yourself into a fine kettle of fish.” Applejack’s laughter rolled through the house.

“You’re so helpful sometimes,” the younger sister growled.

“I do what I can. You’re just gonna have to talk to them. Something tells me Sweetie don’t want to share, but I’d guess Scootaloo wouldn’t mind. Not that I think she’s a slut or anything.”

“Need I remind you that you was a teenager once? You have any idea what your hormones are like?”

“I know. My… you know, I’m not going to talk about my sex life, but I know. So what are you going to do?”

“Keep it to myself? This is a bad thing to say about your friend, but Scootaloo might just cheat on Sweetie for me. I don’t want to break them up.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. Apparently those lessons about honesty were quickly forgotten. “Can I ask you somethin, before I impart mah sage wisdom?” Apple Bloom nodded. “It’s kind of a silly question, really. How do you know?”

“Well, since Scoots has started officially dating Sweetie and the two are all over each other, it’s gotten me curious. I think they’re adorable together and I’ve started to think what sex would be like, and. Um. I’ve kind of thought about her… showing me the ropes.”

Her sister nodded. “Well my sage wisdom is that you have to tell her. It’s like a band-aid, do it quick and get it over with. If she’s willing to cheat on her girlfriend for you, you don’t want her as a friend. I don’t think she would, frankly. Say what you will about Scoots, but she has integrity. Just like her ‘sister.’ Now, unfortunately, I’m going to have to give you the talk.

“It would be hypocritical for me to say sex is a direct result of love. The body has needs that need to be taken care of. You’ve probably figured out how to use your hand or… something. Anyway.” Applejack’s cheeks flushed. “People are attractive. Sometimes you want to bang them. There’s nothing wrong with that. Just remember a good one night stand isn’t love, it’s lust. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to sleep with Scootaloo. Unless you’re my age, then it’s considered statutory…. That’s neither here nor there. You might even love her, and that’s fine. If you want to know if you’re in love… you’ll figure it out. It’s sort of like a pit you don’t realize you're in until you’re about fifty feet down. Just remember there’s a difference between physical attraction and emotional connection.”

“I think I get it.” Apple Bloom retreated to her room, glad to be away from the lecture everyone receives at or before that age. Applejack wondered if she covered enough.


Scootaloo’s phone rang. She checked the screen to see who it was. She was betting on Rainbow Dash wondering where she was, but it was Apple Bloom. Huh. She answered. “Can’t keep your mind off me? I’ve only been gone five minutes.”

“Uh, yeah, about that… I might as well just tell you now. Friends don’t keep secrets from each other.” Apple Bloom didn’t say whatever it was she was going to.

“And that is?” Scootaloo said after an uncomfortable silence passed.

“I… I’m attracted to you. I know you’re dating Sweetie and I don’t want to ruin that, but I just wanted to tell you.” Scootaloo fell flat in the dirt. Good thing she had a helmet. She rose, dusted herself off and found her phone. Dumb rock. Totally just the rock. She dusted herself off and picked up her phone.

“What was that?”

“I totally crashed.”

“Oh goodness, are ya OK?”

Scootaloo spat some dirt from her mouth. Much to her chagrin, she saw a bloody tooth in the dirt.

“I’m fine.”

“Um, well, thanks for telling me. You’re kind of hot yourself, but um… I don’t think we can do anything like… date… or… um…”

“I know, I know, I just wanted to tell you. I knew what you would say. Thanks for not freaking out too bad.”

“I have four hundred scars from my freakout when Sweetie told me the same thing. Can’t get much worse than that. If you ever want to talk about the finer points of lesbianism, I’ll be here. We’re still friends. Don’t even worry about that.” Scootaloo picked up her tooth.

“I guess you can read minds. Thanks. Bye.” Scootaloo pushed back on her board, setting down the road again. She futilely shoved down thoughts of Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and her together… Maybe Sweetie would be open to the idea. It was sort of implied they wouldn’t see anybody else, but Bloom was their best friend. Maybe there was a “Best friend exception?”

Scootaloo sent a text to Rainbow, letting her know where she would be. I just knocked out a tooth skateboarding. Going to dentist to see if I can get it fixed. Be home whenever. Her sister replied.

Just make it into a necklace.

Rainbow had finally finished her homework and grabbed her book from the shelf. She jumped on the bed and opened it, leaning against a pillow. Someone gently tapped on her door. Rainbow sighed. “Come in.”

The door creaked open (She really should oil those hinges) and Scootaloo walked in. “Gah, do you ever wear clothes?” Rainbow looked and realized she took off her shirt and had changed into her athletic shorts.

“What? It’s my house.”

Prism walked by just then, carrying a hamper. “Technically, it’s mine. Oh, do you have any laundry?”

“I put mine in the hamper after I shower.” Scootaloo said.

Rainbow looked around, taking note of the mountain of clothes on either side of her bed. “I’m good.” Prism sighed and continued walking. “What did you want to talk about? Other than my habits of being a nudist.”

“Apple Bloom told me she was… attracted to me, her exact words.”

Her sister nodded. “Yeah, and how does that make you feel,” she said, channeling a sarcastic german therapist.

Scootaloo talked at the approximate velocity of three miles per minute. “Well she’s kind of hot and I’ve thought about having a threesome a few times but I don’t want to make Sweetie mad because she brightens my day, always knows what to say and her smile is like a star shining bright and we talk a lot and share our secrets and she’s a really good kisser and I’ve seen her sad before and it broke my heart and…”

“OK, woah, OK, I get it squirt, you want to have sex with your friends. Believe me, I get it. You love Sweetie Belle and don’t want to ruin that relationship by banging Apple Bloom. Well, here’s what you do. Tell Sweetie Belle. Then whatever you do is up to you. I would strongly advise against hooking up with Bloom.” Rainbow looked at the ceiling, and they waited awkwardly for someone to remember something. “Oh, did you salvage your tooth?”

“No, I fucking swallowed in on the way to the dentist.” Scootaloo laughed, clutching her knees.

Rainbow had to laugh at that. “At least you tried. You get an appointment for a crown or something?”

“Nah, I didn’t.”

“Well, do you want one?” Rainbow asked tentatively.

“Sure…”

Sweetie?
Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow at the text. One word, her name, a question mark. Something was troubling Scootaloo about their relationship. Sweetie shook her head. Talk about reading into things.
What’s up babe?
AB told me she was attracted to me. Just thought I’d let you know. Don’t get the wrong idea. We both know we can’t really do anything.
Awww that’s adorable. <33 To be honest, I’m not sure I’d blame you if you did. Actually wait, yes she fucking would. They’ve only had sex once at this point. It was special and wonderful and magical, but Sweetie wouldn’t be able to look at it the same way if Scootaloo just jumped on anything that called her hot. Sweetie crinkled her nose. Was she legitimately thinking her girlfriend was little better than a two-bit hussy? Was she that distrusting? Ur still mine though. :P She sent.
Always, angel.
Love U. <333

If there was one thing Scootaloo knew, it’s that she could trust her friends. Dumb nightmares be damned, her friends were there for her, and she for them. That stupid dream a few days ago was just memories of how she thought her friends would react if they found out. Not to mention how completely off base she was with Rainbow Dash. She was a lesbian and she let everyone know it.

Like Apple Bloom said, friends don’t keep secrets from each other. Scootaloo was flattered that not just one but two people found her desirable in some way. And Apple Bloom had made it clear that she wanted her friends to be happy, and wouldn’t cause any waves. Scootaloo believed her. If there was one other thing she knew, it was her friends. Apple Bloom couldn’t tell a lie, like there was something in her brain preventing it.

But she also knew her girlfriend. Reviewing the text message, Ur still mine though, Scootaloo couldn’t help but feel Sweetie didn’t trust her. The emoticon with the tongue sticking out was meant to lighten the message, make it seem like a joke. Scootaloo was happy, and she didn’t want to cause waves either.

Or maybe the skater was over analysing things. It was hard to overcome the paranoia that comes from living in the closet. One wrong word and that pack of white girls might beat you up. Deny a guy’s advances and he’d call you a fag. Scootaloo, like many, began to apply that with other aspects of her life. What did her girlfriend really think? The conversation was straightforward enough but there was always a message behind the message, behind the message. Where Apple Bloom was more honest than George Washington, Sweetie had always avoided hurting her friends feelings, and prefered to cause herself some torment if it meant her friends were happy and protected. If she just said what she really thought...

Did Sweetie just want to hide her feelings so Scootaloo’s feelings wouldn’t get hurt? Was Sweetie concerned Scootaloo would run off with Apple Bloom for a good time, and just toss out what they had? Maybe that was it, but why would she even think that? Scootaloo would readily admit that she had a few fantasies with Apple Bloom, including that lovely nightmare when she stayed at her house. But would she trade what she had with Sweetie Belle, the wonderful girl with the soft, cotton-candy-colored hair that smelled like sugar cookies and honeydew? The girl who made her laugh, and kept her temper under control; the one with the magical giggle that somehow dissolved the world and all its problems? No.

She just hoped Sweetie knew that. Or that Scootaloo was just making it all up, and there was no problem. Since she had become so good at convincing herself of things that may not be true, she settled on the latter.

Two days later, and it looked like their relationship was unaffected. Scootaloo was just worrying over nothing.

Author's Note:

The book Scootaloo stumbled on is called Eye of the World in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Check it out if you haven't. I should warn you it's fourteen books long, and the author died before he could publish the last three. The series was taken over by another one of my favorite authors.
It's a good read, but you'll be there a while.