• Published 27th Jul 2015
  • 1,874 Views, 73 Comments

Roads of Life - PonyWrites



High School is tough. It's even tougher if you're gay. Scootaloo is doing the best she can, but maybe the world has different ideas.

  • ...
28
 73
 1,874

Chapter 10 - One thing after another.

Applejack wasn’t the sort of person to seek out crisis. No, they came to her. Usually five. All at once. She was having one now, laying in bed at five in the morning. What had she done? She had broken her friend’s heart and then played with it for four years. Normally she wouldn’t be bothered. Rarity once asked her out. She rejected as kindly as possible. Most of their life, if they dated, would be a conflict of worlds, so to speak. Country versus City. Relationships can’t be built on war.

But this was Rainbow Dash. Who knows why, but that poor girl had fallen in love with a farmer. Of course, not just any farmer. The farmer, who happened to be a girl her age. And Applejack broke her heart and played with it. Tossed it about like a tetherball. gave her the wrong signals. Unintentionally flirted, used too many innuendo. She was leading her on. Applejack didn’t like girls. But the better question was, did she like Rainbow Dash?

After a good, old fashioned cry, lasting some length of time, she had her answer. She was an absolute fool for doing this, but as she once heard, High School was a time to sow your wild oats, because chances are you’d move before you could reap them. She always thought it was stupid, but under the influence of shine she quite agreed with the idea. She took another shot of liquid courage before she headed out to deliver her message in person. Honor demanded no less, and she knew she would chicken out if she waited.

Applejack tapped on Rainbow’s window. The light was still on. Rainbow never slept. Applejack had a good guess as to why. Rainbow answered wearing a bra and panties. Nothing special, nobody would see them anyway.

“What the hell?”

“I’m… stupid. Let me in.”

“You’re drunk, aren’t you?” Rainbow grabbed her friend's wrists and pulled her through the window.

“You’re so strong…”

“Applejack, what the hell are you doing?”

“I’m so so shorry. I love you and it’s taken me till now to see it.”

“Yeah, you’ve definitely been drinking.”

“No I mean it I… you’re really special and… put your phone down. Thanks. You’re hot and I love you and every time you smile my mind melts and I like hanging out with you and I feel stupid every time I think about you.”

Applejack had a remarkably high tolerance for alcohol. Rainbow kept that in mind as the farmer collapsed on the bed and started snoring. Rainbow huffed and settled in herself. She slept well.

Applejack wasn’t the sort of person to get hangovers. Her father could pour Wild Turkey on his cornflakes for breakfast. She had a high tolerance. So when she awoke with a grinding headache and burning throat, she knew she had hit the sauce too hard. She was as naked as the day she arrived, laying in Rainbow’s bed, who was equally naked.

What.

The Hell.

Rainbow stirred. “Morning sunny.” She grumbled.

“It certainly is.”

“What time is it?”

“Six thirty. Why am I naked.”

“Hmm? You went to bed with your clothes on.”

Applejack wasn’t about to begin thinking about this bullshit with her head screaming at her so she let it pass. “Scoots is probably making breakfast.” Rainbow mumbled before she started snoring again. The farmer got dressed quietly and went to the kitchen. Scootaloo was cooking pancakes. This, right now, was all the proof Applejack needed to believe in God. Scootaloo turned around, her expression turning to shock.

“Applejack? What are you doing here?” She whispered.

“I kinda blacked out. I think it was something about your sister. How strong is that coffee?”

“Strong as you make it.”

“Fantastic. Pour me a cup would ya, I’m so hungover I can’t think straight.” Can’t think straight. That had something to do with it. Scootaloo delivered a mug of steaming coffee, remarkably remembering how she took it. Which is to say, black. But when you’re hungover everything is a miracle. “Thank’s sugar.”

Applejack had cleared a plate of pancakes and no longer contemplated chopping her own head off. Rainbow Dash joined them around seven.

“Hey babe.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Rainbow tapped her phone a few times and it played audio. It was Applejack’s voice, but she didn’t remember saying it. Then Scootaloo literally collapsed on the floor and started laughing. “I-- I thought I was a fucking closet case! You love Rainbow Dash!”

“Yeah, and she does this every time she blacks out. I was smart enough to record it this time.”

“Rainbow, hun, could you slap me a few time--AH.” Rainbow slapped her a few more times. “Thanks. I deserved that. I fucking teased you along didn’t I? I thought what we had was just a really good friendship but… I know now that isn’t the case. I… I’m about to do something stupid.” Applejack latched on to Rainbow’s neck, nearly knocking her off the bar stool as she pulled her in and kissed her.

“AJ? Be stupid more often.”

“I’ll have plenty of opportunities. I’m taking you on a date. How’s Tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow’s great. I’ll pick you up.”

“No. I pick the place. You take all your bootie calls to your dad’s restaurant, Sunset excepted. And hun, I ain’t no booty call.”

Rainbow Dash face turned red and she saw butterflies. “O… Okay.” She punched herself and muttered “keep it together.”

“Let’s see. What was it you said to me? Just don’t break her heart.” Scootaloo said.

“Too late for that, but I’ll try to reverse the damage.”

“You… you really mean it?” Rainbow asked.

“I do.”


Applejack was adamant she would be different from all of Rainbow’s other dates, but she didn’t know how. For the longest time she hooked up to scratch her need. Nothing serious, and the poor boy was usually thrown out. Literally. She had forgotten what an actual date looked like. So she swallowed her pride and flagged down her sister at lunch. Of course, she was sitting with the rest of the trio.

“Sis, I um… need some advice.”

“Yes?” At that moment Apple Bloom resembled a queen taking pleasure in the groveling of a peasant.

“I have to take Rainbow on a date.”

Apple Bloom wasn’t surprised at all. “Yes, I see. When?”

“Friday.”

“Well, nothing interesting is happening friday, but I’d suggest taking her to a place that’s special to you? Seriously though, when was the last time you dated anyone?”

“Four years ago… God I’m stupid. Anyway. Thanks, I got an idea now.”

“So what was that all about?” Sweetie asked.

“Applejack was apparently a bigger closet case than me, and didn’t realize she’s had feelings for Rainbow for years. She gets blackout drunk and says she loves her. It’s like a damn soap opera.”

Sweetie looked at Apple Bloom. She knew that face. “Cider, what are you planning?”

“Cider?” Apple Bloom asked.

Sweetie shrugged. “I’m still trying to figure out pet names. You’re kinda spicy, like cider.”

Apple Bloom shrugged. “Well, the plan is still in it’s early stages, but I’ll let you know what you can do.”

“I haven’t had enough excitement in my life recently.” Scootaloo grinned and rubbed her hands together.

“Yeah, it’ll be fun!”

Applejack wasn't the sort to pray, really. God existed, but he often didn’t grant requests. Why should he? Instead, she prefered to thank him. But this time she requested guidance. Or perhaps she was asking her parents. She knew what to do, but wondered if it was OK. She had an idea her parents would approve.

If Applejack was being honest, as was her nature, she had no idea if what she was doing was right. She knew there was nothing wrong with same sex relationships, but was she being true to herself? Was she lying to make Rainbow feel better? Oh, what a foolish notion. Of course she wasn’t. She knew the last thing she wanted was to hurt her feelings more. But would it work out?

She tried to think of Rainbow’s perspective. Even if it didn’t it would be better than not knowing. But… Oh fuck it. She called Rainbow. Some questions had to be answered.

“Yo. Sup?”

“This is just me being foolish. What if… What If I just want to make you feel better?”

“I understand why you would think that, but I know you. You wouldn’t lie to anyone. That’s part of why I love you.”

“And what if it doesn’t work out?”

“Well, I can move on. I guess. That’s worked out so well for me so far. But if it works it works, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. I… thank you for trying.”

“You know it’s unhealthy for you to be as obsessed with me as you are, right?”

“Well, yeah. I… Ugh. I have issues, I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s fine. Um. I think. You might want to visit a therapist though.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, OK, see you tomorrow.”

“See ya.”

Sunset Shimmer was committed to many things at different states of her life. A student of magic. Becoming a princess. When that failed, world conquest. When that failed, she devoted herself to her friends and studies. She never, ever thought she would be committed to a relationship so young. But she had all the symptoms. Crying in bed at midnight, wondering what Rainbow saw in Applejack, wishing they could be together, and the terrible habit of planning to kill her crept back up.

It occurred to Sunset she needed to seek help. Seeing as she was a psychopath and all. No, don’t kill her. She was a rational pony… human. Whatever. Rational beings communicate. So, at midnight, she called Rainbow.

“Let me guess, you just realized you have actual feelings for me.”

“Damn, you’re good.”

“Listen. I… Love is complicated. As you know. I love you. I love all my friends, but I’d… I’d honestly be fine with an arrangement like that if Applejack is cool with it. I just broke up because I figured she wouldn’t be. She’s kinda old-fashioned. Talk to her about it.”

Sunset sighed into her phone. “Alright. Love you, see you in class.” She hung up and dialed Applejack.

“Sweet Apple Acres, what the fuck do you want at midnight?”

“Sheesh. I should have known better. Um. This is Sunset, wanting to ask a stupid question.”

“Ya get one. And don’t feel discriminated. If any of you twats called at midnight the one night I get to sleep, you’d still get one.”

“Can… We share… Rainbow Dash.” Sunset blushed and realized she was definitely appealing to the wrong audience.

“No.” Damn, didn’t even hesitate. “I just don’t feel comfortable sharing like that. She could run off with anybody. You know her, give an inch, take an acre.”

“I doubt she’d do that, but I will respect your decision. Sorry for waking you.”

Click. Well, somebody was in a grumpy mood. Sunset turned off the lights and went into a deep, but troubled sleep.

Applejack apologized for being so snippy with her the following morning. She gets about “Six minutes of free time” and Thursdays are one of the few days a week she can get a solid nine hours of sleep. On top of that, Sunset knew what waking up in the middle of the sleep cycle can do, so she was quick to forgive. The statement, of course, still stood.

It was at this time, the mental (and magical) barriers keeping Sunset close to sainthood broke. She could feel it, and immediately clutched her stomach and doubled over. She was about to barf.

“Sunset, I know it’s kinda a heart breaker, but are you OK?”

“No, I’m legitimately sick.” And twisted.

“Want me to take you to the nurse's office?”

“PL--Gah--yes.” The last thing Sunset needed was to be alone. Sunset was assisted up (Applejack was ridiculously strong, and Sunset could see why Rainbow found her attractive.) She limped at a slow pace. “Call--Gaaah. Twilight. Em--uuuugh---ergency. Code Bacon.”

“We haven’t talked about that one? What is it?”

“She’ll know. And whatever you do, make sure I’m not alone. RRRRgggg.”

In front of the nurse’s office, Applejack took the tele-book from Sunset’s bag and saw that her duty was complete. She began walking to class as she thumbed through the journal to find a blank page.

She stopped on one page fairly early, prettier looking than the rest with a cute border doodled around the edge.

“Sunset gives way to Twilight. As the day ends so must a new one begin, And the sun will rise. I can no longer hide these feelings, my darling Twilight.”

Applejack snickered and moved along.

“Pan-dimensional relationships don’t really work out. Would you like to come here with me?”

“No… I feel I must remain.” Blah blah blah… Sunset had a knack for prose. Back to the task and hand. She flipped to the back of the book where she found exactly one empty page. She scribbled down CODE BACON and wondered what it meant. She also wondered how the book seemed to grow a new page. All things considered, she wasn’t surprised.

Two seconds later she was on the floor wondering what the hell just happened. Lilac filled the air and her vision had turned purple. “Oh sorry Applejack! Where is she!” Twilight got up and helped up Applejack.

“Nurse. Down that hall. Big Red Cross.”

“I hope I’m not too late! No time to explain!” Twilight took off running.

Applejack blinked and decided the “Princess” had it covered.

Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship, Uniter of Kingdoms, and, as her enemies called her, the Lilac Cannon, barged in the nurse’s office and drove her open hand onto Sunset’s cheek. “BE HEALED!”

“Gah! Oh, thanks babe.”

“Keep that sticky note on for ten minutes and you’ll be fine.” Twilight kissed Sunset gently. “Good lord you taste like dark energy.”

“I can’t help it.”

A tight voice cleared her throat behind them. “Are you quite finished with your new aged ‘medicine.’”

“Yes, quite.” Twilight took a regal air and pretended she knew what the nurse was talking about. She bowed graciously and took her exit.

The nurse moved to grab the sticky note on Sunset’s cheek, but she covered it with her hand and smiled sheepishly. “Better leave it on. Can’t be too sure, can we?”

The nurse rolled her eyes but made no protest.

Later they reconvened at the cafe to have lunch. Applejack wasted no time asking the obvious question. “What in the hay is code bacon?”

Twilight’s eyes lit up as she realized she was going to get to teach something. She took out a notebook and pen. “So, Sunset Shimmer is an Equestrian. That means she has magic as… what you humans refer to as a soul. Her being.” She drew a crude representation of Sunset’s insignia. “Driven by her own avarice her magical essence became corrupted. She filled in about half of the sun with ink. “Of course, I came along and blasted her with the holy rays of harmony. It didn’t remove her dark energy, just sealed it away.” She drew a line separating them.

“It was always my destiny, wasn’t it…” Sunset said with sober understanding.

“Yes. It’s good or bad depending on when you think about it. But the wall holding her dark energy in is… flimsy at best. My brother was always better at wards and shields… Anyway, the only thing separating her as you know her now and the She-Demon you defeated is… tissue paper.”

“So by not agreeing to share Rainbow I caused her emotional distress and nearly blew up the school.”

“Well… bluntly, yes.” Twilight said.

“Well I still can’t.”

Sunset nodded. “I should be fine, honestly. I haven’t planned to kill you in a whole three hours.”

“How reassuring. Got any more of those sticky notes?”

“I’ll make some before I leave. My presence should keep the dark side in check for now, since I have absorbed Harmony. It’s complicated. That, and love magic.”

Pinkie raised her hand, remarkably reserved. “Yes.”

“Is anyone here actually straight? Like 100%?”

“Um… No.” Fluttershy answered. “Rarity is Ace, Dash, Sunset and Twilight are Bi, Applejack has no idea, I’m a lesbian, you’re pansexual… that’s everyone isn’t it?”

“What about the dog!” The dog protested.

“You’re a dog. It’s illegal in most of the world, deary.” Rarity said, patting him on the head.

“OK, just curious.” Pinkie smiled.

“I was never much one for labels anyway.” Applejack tilted her hat. “But… why bacon? What’s…”

“Her hair. Duh.” Pinkie said. Twilight nodded.

“It was her observation,” the princess said, “I thought it looked like a blazing phoenix.”

“While we’re hitting everyone over the head with symbolism, here come our favorite trio.”

“Pinkie, how is that symbolism?”

“You’ll see.”

The door to Sugar Cube Corner opened and Scootaloo walked in, strutting like she was queen of the universe. That collapsed as soon as she saw Rainbow Dash.

“Wh-what are you doing here?”

“Eating lunch with the gals. What are you doing?”

“Well… um, you see.”

“Playin’ hookie?”

“Yes.” Scootaloo whimpered.

“I’m not your fuckin mom. I thought the rule was stupid anyway. Go ahead, have a seat. We didn’t see anything.” True to their word, the girls resumed their conversation and payed no mind to the three delinquents.

True to her word, Applejack drove up to Rainbow’s mansion that night. She had second thoughts, but she said she would. It had to at least go from there.

Rainbow walked out wearing some tight jeans that showed off her toned butt and a tank top that made her look like she had an actual chest, which Applejack found herself staring at. She was a lesbian, at least for this girl. Rainbow opened the door to the truck and slid in next to her, in the middle. Applejack blushed furiously and kept her eyes forward.

“You look gorgeous today.” She muttered.

“You look gorgeous every day.” Rainbow replied.

“So do you… but I just now noticed.” Applejack shifted gears. “Let’s head off.”

“Where are you taking us?”

“You’ll see.”

Rainbow frowned when they pulled up to the gate of Sweet Apple Acres, but let play out. The stead was huge, on some hundred acres. Applejack could have anything planned. They finally parked in some weird corner of the farm, between the farmhouse and the South East Field. They got out and Applejack took the lead. There was a clear line where the lawn stopped being mowed and trees grew up where they wanted. A small path of tamped down grass led them on. They eventually came to a small hill, clear of trees except one. A little ways off was one of the lakes they had. Rainbow hadn’t seen it before, but the remnants of a tire swing on the tree suggested the family would come here.

Before… well. Before. She pictured Applejack swimming in the lake, not a care in the world. Clever girl, she had put out a picnic before they arrived. A checkered blanket and a basket beckoned them, and they sat down across from each other. Applejack opened the basket and pulled out a rye sandwich with pastrami and… Rainbow couldn’t see it all. It was a glorious layered stack of meat and sauerkraut. Her favorite. She pulled out a green bottle and poured two champagne flutes full.

“It’s non-alcoholic. Can you believe it? I want to remember this.”

“Finally.”

Apple Bloom wiped her brow. “I think we’re all set up. All we have to do is wait for sunset.”

“This is gonna be awesome. I kinda hope something explodes!” Scootaloo said, jumping up and down.

Sweetie said, “I much prefer the plan to work this time. But I’m the helpless romantic, not the pyromaniac.”

They were chatting about their feelings or some such. Something actual girls did, but not tomboys. Rainbow and Applejack could shed their facades and be themselves, reveal their most vulnerable selves to each other. It was so obvious, but Applejack was completely clueless. Oh well. Better late than never.

They were kissing when the fireworks went off. Literally. Pinks and reds and a whole rainbow filled the air with explosions.

“Believe it or not, I didn’t plan this.” Applejack chuckled.

“But how was the kiss?”

“I need more data. Do it again.” They kissed again, Rainbow throwing all her passion into it.

“So?”

“It was fantastic.”

“You’re not a sex on the first date type of girl are you?”

“Well. No. I didn’t technically date my one night stands. This may seem silly, but I want to know how I feel before I… do that to you. I want it to be… special.”

“I get it. Can we at least make out?”

“Duh.”

Apple Bloom was leaping up and down, cheering. “WOOOOHOOOO! One of our plans worked, and we weren’t maimed or covered in tree sap! You know what this calls for?”

“A nap?” Sweetie yawned.

“No,” She shot Scootaloo a knowing look. Scootaloo grinned madly, and they shouted in unison,

“Cutastic Crusader Celebratory Coietus!”

“Is that what we’re calling ourselves now?” Sweetie asked, head cocked.

The other two had already started wrestling, which Sweetie already knew was what passed for their foreplay. Oh, why not?

….

“So, you’re liking the polyamory thing?” Scootaloo asked as they cuddled one another in their clubhouse.

“Multiamory,” Apple Bloom corrected.

“Whatever. Anyway, are ya?”

“I’ll say this, you both know how to treat a woman.” Her voice was distant and sleepy. “I really do love you both. This is a much better alternative to fighting.”

Apple Bloom stroked Sweetie’s curly locks. “If you ever feel uncomfortable let us know.”

“I know. I know. Communication is key.” She nodded off, and the other two girls decided to do the same.

Twilight gasped for air after such a wonderful session with Sunset. She saw, poetically, the sun was setting.

“These bodies are so… interesting.”

“Tell me about it.”

They cuddled for a time, enjoying the warm skin against another.

“Do you want to come home with me?” Twilight asked.

Well. There was the million dollar question.