• Published 27th Jul 2015
  • 1,874 Views, 73 Comments

Roads of Life - PonyWrites



High School is tough. It's even tougher if you're gay. Scootaloo is doing the best she can, but maybe the world has different ideas.

  • ...
28
 73
 1,874

Interlude 1

~ One Month Ago ~

It had been a normal school day, which as previously discussed, was awful. Well, they always start out that way, but once in a blue moon, someone wins the lottery and is promptly eaten by sharks while being electrocuted by a lightning bolt, and something good happens.

It was lunch, so already the mood-o-meter was leaning slightly positive. "Thanks for not making a big deal about it, AB. I just wonder how she'll react." Sweetie said.

"What are we talking about?" Scootaloo asked, suddenly behind her. The girl took a seat next to Sweetie Belle.

"Scootaloo, I need to tell you something important." Sweetie stared into those purple eyes, and snapped her face away before she could blush. "I may have developed a crush on you." Scootaloo stared with a blank face. "I understand if you don't feel the same way, but--" Scootaloo pecked her on the cheek.

"I kind of have a crush on you too. I'm not sure how easy it will be to date, my parents are strict ya know." Scootaloo could have sworn she heard lightning crack, but this was definitely a good day.

~That Night~

Oh lord what had she done? She kissed another girl on the cheek! Her parents were bound to find out! They had their ways! She moved her stack of Playboy around, acquired so slowly, so meticulously. Under the bed was too obvious, the closet too ironic. Finally she settled on wedging them between the mattress and box-springs. No one would look there! She foolishly admitted her feelings right then and there. Sweetie would expect dates! Her parents would probably literally kill her if they found out she was dating a girl. She wasn't even allowed to date boys!

Despite herself, Scootaloo looked forward to what surreptitious meetings they would have. That adorable smile, the way she smelled like sugar cookies… holding hands… Kissing… that was bound to be fun...

Screw her parents, she wanted to make this work.

Except the house over her head was nice.

The people living in it not so much.

But they fed her... loved her?

No.

Yes.

Urrrrrg. Scootaloo clawed at her hair to try and get her thoughts straight. Or at least stop fighting. Holding back tears, She looked at her arms, and the tiny criss-crossing lines of slightly paler orange. She remembered a year ago, sitting scared at the dining table, ready to announce something of vital importance.

She remembered what she did shortly after.

She had worn a mask so long she had forgotten who was underneath it. She attached it to herself with tiny cuts until she was happy. Until her parents were happy. A peace settled on the family, her arms held the treaty. Scootaloo liked the peace. Who in their right mind would try to make their parents mad at them? What if they were angry no matter what you did? No, they weren’t angry, they were just concerned for her well-being.

It was becoming obvious that her well-being differed from their definition. Scootaloo dragged her nails along her arm, wishing to tear the skin off; destroy the peace treaty of scar-tissue. Scootaloo realized, much like a freight train hitting a cabbage, that this wasn’t well-being. Her parents may be happy she was “straight, going to college, meeting a nice man and…” All those other damn hypotheticals. Not once, No, never, did they ask for her expectations; what she wanted out of life. And right now, it was three simple words.

“Sweetie Belle” and “Happiness.” Convincing herself otherwise had obviously failed.

That adorable bitch had to make waves; shatter the mask in a million pieces. Her parents still couldn’t know. She’d be sent to camp, cut off completely and abandoned in the streets. If she was holding on by such a razor’s edge, was it really love? Kids keep secrets from their parents all the time. This wasn’t anything different. She could do this.

If it wasn’t passed her goddamn curfew, she’d go out skating to clear her head. Or punch something. Or both. But it was her curfew, and she had broken enough rules already.

She thought back to what Rainbow said. Anything at all, huh? Previously she didn’t want to bother Rainbow with her teenage problems, she could handle them on her own just fine. But this… Scootaloo took out her phone and dialed. She wasn’t technically supposed to talk to her, but Scootaloo had ignored that one from day one.

“Yo, Scoots, what’s up?”

“Can I tell you something? You can’t tell anyone else.” Scootaloo swallowed.

“You’re gay?” Rainbow guessed.

“Dammit is it that obvious?” She hissed.

“No, but there are only a few reasons you’d call the school’s premier bull-dyke. Even fewer that would swear me to secrecy. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. So who do you have a crush on?”

“Most of the girls at school.”

“Oh lord tell me about it. Anyone in particular?”

“Sweetie Belle asked me out.”

“And you said…?”

“Yes, but then I got to thinking, what if my parents find out? I’ll be sent to camp.” Scootaloo heard Rainbow swallow on the other end.

“Well, just don’t get caught. You’re clever. Say you’re going to study with your friends. Technically it’s not wrong, but they don’t need to know you’re studying Anatomy.”

“Rainbow!”

“What, it’s what I did when I was in the closet. Did you… tell them you were gay?”

“Last year, after the camping trip.”

“Hmm. OK, here’s your go-to battle plan. Have Sweetie and Bloom pick you up to escort you to your study session. Better yet, I can get a hold of Rarity and have her drive there and say she’ll keep an eye on you and Sweetie. Then bam, go on the date. It’s the perfect crime!”

“What if they don’t let me leave?”

“Rarity can make slicing your foot open seem like a good idea. You’ll be fine.”

Surprisingly, Rainbow’s completely and utterly foolish plan worked. Scootaloo’s grades were low enough that it didn’t raise suspicion when she suggested she go to her friends for help. Rarity assured her parents they wouldn’t even leave her sight. Scootaloo didn’t appreciate being viewed as an eight-year-old that might run into the street if you so much as glanced at your watch, but she was on her best behavior and didn’t say anything. If she made one snide comment she may never get the chance to swap lipgloss with Sweetie--or anyone-- again. It was easy to put on the “perfect daughter” mask when she had a reward for it.


“Hey, Rumble, guess what I got!” Button Mash said, reaching into his backpack before pulling out a plastic shell. Rumble’s eyes went wide. Damnet, he was so adorable when he was surprised.

“How… did you get an advance copy of Mecha Destroyer 3?”

“The studio sent it to me. I guess since I’m pretty popular on YouTube, they want me to do a review. How cool is that!”

“Awesome! I guess you proved me wrong.” Rumble was always skeptical about Button’s channel, uncaring for the videos themselves, but always admired how he got so excited about it. He wished he knew what he wanted to do, like his friend did.

“I’ll let you play, but you can’t tell anyone.” Button walked to Rumble, who was sitting in front of the TV in his room.

“Swear on my life.” Rumble held two fingers straight up, a carryover from Boy Scouts.

“I need to tell you something else too, but you can’t tell anyone else either.”

“What is it?”

Button scratched the back of his neck. “Rumble I… don’t know how to say this...” Oh screw it. Button grabbed Rumble’s neck and pulled him in for a kiss. Rumble pushed him away near instantly from the shock, after their lips met. Button collapsed on his knees and palmed his eyes. Rumble heard him sob. “I’m so sorry…” Button felt a hand on his shoulder, and looked up to see his friend smiling softly.

“You could have just told me you had a crush on me.”

“You… you don’t mind? Do you feel the same?”

“I’m afraid I don’t. I’ve never even thought about guys like that. Always prefered a nice soft butt you know.” Button chuckled. “You’re my best friend. You deserve someone that can love you back.”

“You mean, you’re not worried I’ll hit on you or anything?”

“So what if you’re gay? Nothing about you has changed.”

“I’m actually bi. I know because I have a crush on you and Sweetie.”

“Well, you have good taste at least. It just isn’t your week. I’m straight, I’m pretty sure Sweetie is a lesbian.”

“Ugh, really?” Button sobbed.

“Pretty sure. I saw Scootaloo giving her a kiss.”

“Damnet, why does life have to be unfair?” Button renewed his sobs, tears falling from his eyes. Rumble hugged him, patting him on his back while whispering “just let it out.”

“I… didn’t ask to be this way! Why can’t I just be normal?”

“Button, you are normal. Some boys like girls, some boys like boys, some like both. It’s just how it is.” Rumble paused, thinking how to continue. “I know it probably seems like you’ve just gotten your heart broken by two people, but you’ll be alright. And I’ll be here, your best friend, in case you need to cry or whatever.”

“But you’re causing the problem!” Button wailed.

“I know you just want me to say ‘I love you too’ or something. But that’s just a lie to the both of us. You’re my best friend. You’re just going to have to move on. I’ll make you a deal. I’ve had a crush on Apple Bloom. I’ll ask her out tomorrow, if you ask Sweetie out. It can’t hurt to try, right?”

“Deal. But we have to go on a double date, if it works.”

“Sure.”

“OK, enough mushy shit, let’s play… and thanks for understanding.”

“Can we help you, gentlemen?” Apple Bloom twanged. “Though that may be a bit generous.” Rumble and Button were pretty good acquaintances of the trio, which here means they were made fun of by the same people.

“Apple Bloom… would go you on a date with me?” Rumble stammered, his face turning a rosy hue.

“Sorry hun, but I’m seeing Featherweight right now. Tell ya what though, give me your number.” Rumble wrote down his number on a shred of paper. He chalked this one as a success.

"Um, Sweetie, would you... um, go out with me too?"

Sweetie glowered, "Is this a prank?"

“The only way we could work up the courage to ask you is to do it together.” Rumble just saved their butts and dignity.

“Aww, that’s so sweet." Button almost contracted whiplash from how quickly her mood changed. I’m dating Scoots, though. We could still hang out, or would that be too painful?”

Rumble was giving every signal to say no, but Button said “That’d be great.”

“Why don’t y’all sit down?” Apple Bloom gestured welcomingly.

Author's Note:

For some reason during the import of my earlier chapters, a few lines were dropped here and there. If anything seems like it's missing let me know. I've tried to fix them where I can.