• Published 27th Jul 2015
  • 1,873 Views, 73 Comments

Roads of Life - PonyWrites



High School is tough. It's even tougher if you're gay. Scootaloo is doing the best she can, but maybe the world has different ideas.

  • ...
28
 73
 1,873

20 - Obligatory Valintine Chapter

Button was where he always was on a Sunday evening. On the bed, in women’s basketball shorts, watching The Walking Dead. It was his private little ritual. Getting comfortable and feeling pretty watching what was essentially a glorified soap opera. The shorts kept him in a constant state of distraction. Or, more precisely, what was in the shorts. Perhaps he felt too pretty. Was that even possible? Naaah. There was a small tap at his door.

“Yes?” He asked, making no move to get up.

His mother answered, “Your boyfriend’s here. Put on a shirt.”

“Mooooom I’m not some faggot that parades around in his underwear all day.”

“I’m just gonna walk away~~” She said, singsong. She knew what he did at this hour. That’s why she started to knock.

Though technically speaking what Button was wearing barely qualified as a shirt. It was half a tank top with a vulgar word bedazzled on it. His midriff was also a frequent source of distraction.

He opened the door and there stood Mark. He was wearing what he normally was. A band T-shirt and parachute pants. Button promised himself he’d take his boyfriend shopping so he’d be a bit nicer to look at. Not recycled 90s apparel. The look on Mark’s face was blank for a second, before turning to a furious blush and grin. “Well come in,” Button posed himself on a door frame like it was a stripper pole. Mark made his way in and shut the door.

“Why haven’t I been here before?”

“Well, honestly, I didn’t know how mom would react. I mean, she obviously knows I’m gay but… I guess…” Button trailed off, unwilling to find the words.

“You were scared of me?”

Button sighed, defeated. “Yes.”

“Well, don’t be, OK?” Button nodded. There was silence. “Your mom is nice.”

“Yeah, she’s pretty great.” Another period of nothingness. “Not that I’m ungrateful, but why are you here?”

Now it was Mark’s turn to sigh. “I just wanted to talk… about us.”

Button’s heart sped up and it was getting a little difficult to breathe. “W-what about?”

“Just last night, when you said you love me.”

Button relaxed. “I do.”

“Well, yeah. What does that mean?”

“Because I realized how much I value you. I was worried you’d think I was some terrible person for still being in love with Rumble. And I am. Still. But you were so understanding and made me realize that I didn’t want to lose you.”

“You can love more than one person. Just love me too.”

“I do love you.” Button leaned in, placing a hand on Mark’s knee, putting his mouth right next to his ear. “And I have lewd dreams about you.” Button’s breath on his ear was intoxicating, Mark’s hands moved to the small of his exposed back. The world stopped mattering.

“This sounds like something out of middle school,” Mark whispered, “But I think you’re cool.”

“Yeah, well, you’re hot.” Button moved his head back before moving it back in for a kiss. Mark was surprised, he was the one that usually initiated. Their tongues danced delicately, enjoying each other. Savoring, exploring. The hand on Button’s back made it’s way down as Mark appreciated every curve. He grabbed his boyfriend’s buttock.

Without warning, Button shoved Mark away, “Shit, I forgot this was the season finale!”

Mark buried his face in his palm and muttered, “I love you, you beautiful dolt.”

“I love you too.”

Since he wasn’t doing anything else at the time, Mark took out his phone and sent a text.

“Congratulations girls, this is the second time we’ve played matchmaker successfully.” Apple Bloom twanged. “And I quote, ‘Watching Walking Dead with the dolt I love. TY girls, IOU’”

“Dawwww,” Sweetie cooed.
“Oh shit I forgot that was on!” Scooter said.

“You said you wanted to watch Game of Thrones!” Apple Bloom protested.

“I do. I’ll just catch a rerun. Could you move? My leg is falling asleep.”

“Really Walkin’ Dead ain’t that great anyway.”

“I’ve heard this rant a million times, sssshhhh, this is getting interesting.”

The Next Day…

“Rainbow Oh my god!” Scooter said as he flung the door to his sister’s room open. Rainbow’s book went flying, and her own body caught some air from the surprise. Forgetting why he originally came in here, “Oh my god really? You aren’t even wearing a bra this time?”

“It’s hot in here.”

“I’m pretty sure you set your thermostat to 90 degrees as an excuse… anyway OH MY GOD Valentine's day is tomorrow!”

“And let me guess, you haven’t gotten anybody anything, and you want my advice?”

“Why else would I be freaking out!!”

“Not helping. I’ve almost completed a personal record for rereading Daring Do. Just go to the mall and find something that makes you think of them.”

“That’s the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever heard!” Scooter shouted, jumping a little.

Rainbow Dash rubbed her temples. Scooter was hopped up on his own anxiety and probably couldn’t think straight. Pun not intended. He’d look at something and think it wasn’t perfect enough. It was kind of adorable. The book would have to wait. “Fine, I’ll help, but you’re driving. And on the way there try to think of something each of them like. Like books. Everyone loves books.”

“Egghead.”

“You have a higher GPA than I ever did.” Rainbow got up and walked toward the door.

“Clothes.”

“Oh, right.”

Since both of his girlfriends liked jewelry, that’s where Scooter decided to go. Sweetie liked her bling, but Apple Bloom was more on the practical side. Scooter was trying to find a necklace suitable for his love, browsing through the huge selection. Rainbow, surprisingly, was able to offer advice about matching the color of her skin tone and hair. After thinking, repeatedly, that he was too manly to be in here, he found a silver heart with an amethyst star set in it, a musical note laid behind it so that the gem magnified it. It was perfect.

He turned her head to locate the watch section, but saw a mop of red hair done up in a bow and cowgirl hat looking at the earrings. He carefully avoided that section of the store, moving stealthily to the watches on the other side. Rainbow took note of the situation and decided it would be best not to embarrass the girls. After all, they were both doing last minute valentine shopping. Not her place to make it more awkward.

“Do you think AB would like a leather watch or metal?”

“Leather. Fits with the general theme she’s got.”

“But she might like steel since it’s durable and practical.”

Rainbow pinched her brow. “I don’t know.”

Scooter’s phone went off, signalling he got a text. “Metal.”

Scooter blinked. Another ping. “Your voice carries.” So Scooter eliminated half the watches, then thought that a gold band would blend too much into her skin. Silver wouldn’t be a good fit either, compared to a gunship black model he saw. He also saw the watch was priced close to the necklace he selected, so he wouldn’t be favoring one or the other. He thought both of them were on the ridiculous side, but decided it would work.

To make matters even more awkward, Apple Bloom was in front of him at the checkout line. Of course, they were the only two in line. Apple Bloom paid for her things while Scooter made a note to not look at them, deciding instead to memorise the earring display. Apple Bloom left without saying a word. Scooter let out a breath.

“Well now all we need is a gift for Rumble.” Scooter said just outside the shop.

“Eh, just get him a fleshlight and some lube.” Scooter gave his sister a flat stare. “What? If I was a teenage boy, that’s what I’d want.”

“Maybe I should just get him a book on philosophy. He loves that shit.”

“Why not some lesbian erotica too?” Scooter’s stare somehow became flatter. “What?” Scooter started walking to the bookstore. “What?”

“When was the last time you got laid?”

Rainbow was actually taken by surprise from that question. Not something siblings usually ask each other. Well, she didn’t really have a whole lot to go on. “Um… seventy-two hours ago.”

“Apparently that’s too long.”

Valentines for the increasingly eclectic group was perhaps the most interesting ever recorded in human history. It started out normal enough. It always does. Rumble had scouted out a romantic location for weeks for the perfect picnic spot, but found the only place was where they found Scootaloo half-dead and bleeding. The nearby canyon sparkled like it was laden with gems, and years of buildup and erosion left it like a multilayer cake. Of all the places to attempt suicide, she sure picked a good one. Rumble thought how weird thinking that was. He asked him for permission (the site carried a lot of weight), and he was approved. “I mean, I’ve had sex there. I practically own the place.” It was worth spoiling the surprise if it meant his boyfriend… which was still weird to think about… was stable.

So there he was, setting up at the site. They’d be there in about five minutes. Then a goddamn fox bolts out of nowhere and swipes the picnic basket. On instinct, he goes to chase it when he hears a weird call in the direction the fox went. Since he’s much slower he follows the fox and finds the basket had been completely looted, with sandwiches torn apart all over the ground. He couldn’t remember if chocolate killed foxes like it did dogs, but either way they’d had their just deserts with the chocolate-chip cupcakes he prepared. He inspected what was left, the bottles of soda the only thing that remained. With a sigh he picked them up and made his way back.

The harem was already waiting. Scooter’s head nestled in Sweetie’s lap as they looked out at the canyon. “You’ll never believe what just happened.” He said as he strode into the clearing. “A fox just stole our shit. Well, a whole family.”

Apple Bloom broke out laughing. Scooter turned to Rumble, clearly perplexed, and asked “A fox?”

“Yeah.”

“Weird.”

Sweetie asked, “How come?”

“No reason…”

“Well, they didn’t get the soda at least,” Rumble said and sat down.

“Oh well. No big deal.” Even Sweetie managed to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

“I wonder if Rainbow’s Dad’s place has a table open.” Scooter asked.

“Ugh, but there are other people there.” Apple Bloom groaned.

“And what are you planning that you don’t want other people to see?” Rumble asked.

“Well, we could get the main-course already.”

Scooter shot her a glare. “I actually wanted dinner. I mean, we’re going to bang all night. And probably into tomorrow.”

“It’s different for us cooks,” Rumble nodded, “sharing food is a part of our expression of love.”

“Well, mostly, I skipped lunch, but he’s right. Sharing a meal is like… being part of a family.”

“Well yea, sure!” Apple Bloom agreed, “There’s just a meal I want more than food, specifically.”

Sweetie finally made her opinion known, “I’m inclined to agree with the boys. For starters, Scooter may be fine with this place but I’m a little on edge. Let’s go weasel our way to a free meal at a five star restaurant and then go back to the clubhouse. That way we get our Romance and our… um… lustiness sated.”

“To the swag-mobile!” Scooter shouted, jumping up.

“That is not what you’re calling that thing!” Rumble protested, but he was already back on the trail out of earshot.

“Oh, trust me, he is.” Sweetie pursed her lips.

Rumble folded his bike in the trunk and they were off. The fact that Scooter was calling her “father” and driving down a gravel road, down a hill was a little concerning but they survived.

The dinner was fantastic, of course. Perfect steaks, wonderful salads and scrumptious desserts. Well. So Scooter told them about the desserts. The restaurant caught fire half-way through the entre. The chef calmly walked out and addressed the patrons. “I’m terribly sorry, but you will all have to evacuate.” Since the place was rather costly and required a reservation and suitable station, the patrons exited calmly, with certain dignity. “You will all be refunded, as well as a free meal once we extinguish the fire and make any repairs. Thank you for your patronage.”

The fire trucks blared as the quarto walked out. They stared from a few blocks away, wondering about what was going on inside. “So, uh… McRonalds?”

“Nope. Let’s go to your house and I’ll cook.” Scooter told Apple Bloom as he started the engine again.

“Uh, that might not be a good idea…”

Indeed it was not. In the kitchen were Applejack and Rainbow Dash, each stark naked and cooking something. Scooter quietly turned around on one heel and walked straight out the door before the others had a chance to follow him. He threw up on an unsuspecting strawberry mound in front of the house.

“I told you so.” Scooter could practically feel the smirk in her voice. After he recovered enough, he stood and absentmindedly wiped his mouth on his arm. Then he realized what he did and recoiled, but kept anything else down.

“Fuck it, let’s just get to the clubhouse and exchange gifts.”

Scooter took a water bottle from the fridge in the clubhouse and took a swig, swishing it it his mouth to rinse it out. He spat it out the window. Then he poured some over his arm and scrubbed the acid off. “This is the worst day of my life.” He mumbled, getting a towel and cleaning his face, then the floor.

“Scooter babe, sit down.” Sweetie gently commanded. She was very good at it.

“Okay.” Scooter sat next to her. She put her hands on his knees.

“Today was the best day ever. You know why? Because I have you.”

“What do you mean?”

Sweetie smiled, but Scooter recognized the pain behind it. Something he knew all too well. He’d burn the whole world if it meant he’d never had to see it again. Not on Sweetie’s face. “You dunce. I have you, in my arms.” Sweetie grabbed his wrists and rotated his arms, showing the soft and scared flesh. The pattern was still there, scar tissue in a lattice around both his arms, but they had faded, except for three huge gashes on his left. Those were still violently red.

“Oh.” Sweetie wrapped a hand around the back of his neck and pulled him in for a kiss. A wonderful, gentle kiss that reminded the boy he was still alive. He was loved, and people cared about him. Sometimes he just forgot. Rumble got behind Scooter and latched on for a hug, and Apple Bloom doing the same to both of them.

Scooter was totally not crying. “I promise.”

“Promise what?” Sweetie asked.

“To be here.”

Button and Mark had a much better time of it, showering each with gifts of chocolate and playing video games. “I swear you’re losing on purpose!” Mark said after the third victory. Well, a certain condition was probably influencing it. Loser had to play bottom. Mark decided to whisper something terribly erotic in Button’s ear, the boys eyes going wide. “W-well if that’s how you feel… just don’t go easy on me. You have to earn your defeat.” Button won the next round.

Sweetie and Scooter exchanged gifts. The boy received a leather and titanium bracelet he thought made him look cool. Scooter was a bit ashamed of what he bought Rumble, but the boy seemed absolutely thrilled about receiving Plato’s works. Apple Bloom acted surprised about her watch. “You didn’t have to do that, this is really cool. Look it’s mechanical.” The farmer stared at the sprockets for a good thirty seconds. Scooter got a new set of studs from Rumble, and Apple Bloom had bought him a book she liked. He didn’t really notice what the other two exchanged since he was busy cuddling with Sweetie.

“Can I take a nap? It’s been a long day?”

“Only if I get to hold you.”

“Always.”

“Are we becoming like that one couple in that dumb book where everyone has cancer?”

“Don’t mention such poor literature in my presence ever again!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“Not even to criticize it?” Scooter felt the same.

“You can’t criticize what doesn’t exist.”

“Oh I see. So, about that nap…”