• Published 14th May 2012
  • 6,001 Views, 189 Comments

Home is Where the Heart is - smileyfacer



Scootaloo struggles to know she is an orphan and wants nothing more than a family of her own.

  • ...
6
 189
 6,001

Chapter 7

Day 3

I hope that book is worth something...
I can't feel my wings. After just one day of wing training, what the hay! I hope I'm doing this right, wait, ofcourse I'm doing this right!
I bet that Rainbow Dash felt the exact same way when she was in Cloudsdale. Yeah, I bet she did!
But... Were Rainbow Dash's wings too small too? I don't remember her telling of us it if that's the thing. Well, it's not like she likes to tell everypony about her flaws.
I guess that means she doesn't have flaws! Rainbow Dash is perfect in every way!
Anyway, I'm not writing this to worship the best flyer ever.

...

Alright, maybe a litte bit. Rainbow Dash is the best flyer ever!

Fine, I'm done.

About today's progress, it's like I'm an earth pony. I used to be able to flap with my wings, at least somewhat, but now, they're just hanging there, as if they're ready to be the next snack on the grill. But let me tell you something journal, my wings are never going to be up for barbeque! Nuh-uh! I'm gonna be fierce and strong and awesome like Rainbow Dash! You wait and see!

The change in Scootaloo's wings were obvious. At least they were to Sweetie Belle and Applebloom. They knew that no matter how weak and small the wings seemed, they would at least flap in excitement at Scootaloo's command.

Today, they didn't.

It was as if something had drained the orange feathers and the small muscles beneath them of all energy, and Scootaloo couldn't be bothered to muster the effort to show her delight.

"Eh, Scoots?" Applebloom quietly asked as they were having a small break from maths. Sweetie Belle paid little attention, as she was more focused on a especially tricky math problem, even during the break.

Scootaloo turned her heads towards Applebloom, just before she put down the pencil as she was done with the work sheet miss Cherilee had handed out some time before.

"'Sup?"

"What's wit' yer wings t'day? They seem," Applebloom took a second to find the right words, "less flappy today!" The little filly bit her tongue intentionally, as she came to the realization that there probably wasn't a word such as 'flappy'. Scootaloo let out a yawn to fake some exhaustion.

"Sorry Applebloom, I'm just very tired today."

Sweetie Belle took a break from her equation, and instead shot a critical glance towards the pegasus.

"Tired from what? You haven't been Crusading with us! What do you do at home, if you're so tired?"

Truth be told, Scootaloo was tired. The day before she had done some hard workout on her wings, and she knew the same thing awaited her when she got home. She cringed at the thought of the pain, but the fighter spirit within her told her to carry on.

"Well, I help around instead. It's so boring though! Nothing but washing floors and dusting off. The headmistress said that I might train my wings if I tried to hold the duster between the feathers on my wings, and that's what I tried to do. It hurts like hay!" she exclaimed.

"That does sound harsh Scoots. Hope she ain't pressurin' ya too hard. Ye' gotta be ready for some more crusadin' when ye' detention for this week is over!" Applebloom replied, sympathethic as always. Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement, before going back to her math.

Scootaloo let out quiet sigh, and thanked herself for becoming such a good liar. No matter how much she hated lying, it had proved to be useful when she got in a sticky situation.

The bell rung once more, and the rest of the teaching went like usual: boring and dull according to the earth-bound pegasus.

As school finished, Scootaloo said her goodbyes to the two other Crusaders. Scootaloo had paid little to no attention when they had told her of the crusading they were doing later that day - apparently something about trying out flower arranging. For just a second, Scootaloo was happy that she didn't had to go crusading with them that day, as she would rather have a whole day of school, rather than a minute of flower arranging. Maybe that was a bit of an exaggaration, but Scootaloo was sure as hay not gonna take part in it. The little pegaus gleefully trotted home towards the orphanage, and mentally prepared herself for another day of hard training of her wings.

Training was as hard as Scootaloo had imagined. The strain on her wings from the day before was evident. She couldn't do near as many wing-ups, nor could her wings solely lift as much as the day before. But Scootaloo refused to give up.

As if she was in a daze, the filly imagined herself flying in the ever so blue sky of Equestria. Soaring with eagles and other noble birds, feeling the wind tickle her nostrils, caress her fur, mane and tail, and playing tag with a rebellious cloud. But most importantly, she imagined herself with Rainbow Dash. She foresaw great adventures for both of them, her and Rainbow Dash, side by side, flying across the vast land that Equestria covered, and maybe even beyond the familiar borders of her home land.

Scootaloo kept those fantasies ind mind, and with hard effort, she managed to train just about the same amount as yesterday. When the filly finally ceased her workout and went into the common rooms for rest, she only just managed to grab a hold of Teddy, and whispered soft words of her training into his ears as she dozed off into wonderful sleep.


"Hello, Rainbow Dash! What brings you to my orphanage?" the headmistress cheerfully asked, and led the cyan mare into her office.

"I'd just like to check in on the twir-, er, I mean, Scootaloo. How has she been doing since her little stunt?" Rainbow Dash replied, and carelessly glanced about the cheesy motivational posters around the office.

"Well, it seems that our dear little Scootaloo is training to fly."

The careless look in Rainbow Dash's eyes were instantly replaced by passion and interest.

"What, flying? On her own?" she gasped, and was immedaitely impressed with the coolness of the little filly.

Much like myself, heh.

"Don't be silly, Rainbow Dash! Not flying just yet, but it appears she has borrowed a book from the library, about how to fly. She spends all of her days in the gymnasium, training hard to get those wings strong enough against the wild gusts of wind that you face so bravely every day."

Rainbow Dash let out a little snicker of satisfaction, before she nodded in a serious matter.

"That's great news. I'm glad to see that she's doing so well," the pegasus replied, before awkwardly tracing a hoof on the table before her.

"Is there something the matter?" the headmistress asked, and gave Rainbow Dash an intense and caring look. Almost taken aback by the genuine interest in her well-being, Rainbow Dash stopped the circular movements, and instead coughed slightly.

"Well, I was gonna ask you about a special favor for Scootaloo, and since she's been training, I'm sure that it'll be awesome!"

The headmistress cocked an eyebrow, before Rainbow Dash let out a snicker.

"Awesome for Scootaloo, that is."

The older mare now nodded in satisfaction, and urged the pegasus to go on.

"Scootaloo has been in detention for 3 days now, and she's not going on the field trip with the rest of the students. Is it possible that I could spend the day with her, giving her some tips on how to fly, and make it a day to remember?"

"Rainbow Dash, I'm sure you mean well with this suggestion, but I'm afraid that cannot do."

"What! Why?!" the mare demanded, and almost went flying into the ceiling in annoyance. Her wings flapped furiously as she attempted to keep herself sealed to the chair she was placed in.

"The whole reason why I sent Scootaloo to the detention was that she could learn from the experience. If I let you have this special day with her, where the others are on the field trip, she's learned nothing."

"Aw. c'mon! As if her not being able to go crusading for a whole week, you're gonna make it so much harder on her by not letting her being taught how to fly!", Rainbow Dash objected, a sudden sneer escaping her lips, "you're taking away everything that matters to her. What matters to me!"

"Rainbow Dash, I understand your annoyance and that Scootaloo's well-being is a matter of great importance to you, but I just can't let you do this. I'm sorry, but that is my final word in this matter."

"Fine!" Rainbow sneered once more, and dove with maddening speed out of the office. Scootaloo was happily occupied with sitting under the great oak tree before the orphanage, that she didn't even notice the streak of rainbow that followed the aggravated cyan pegasus.


Rainbow Dash didn't understand why the headmistress didn't wanted to let her do this for Scootaloo. Both mares had noticed how unhappy the filly was, and Rainbow Dash knew well enough how the little filly was feeling. She remembered how she had been just about the same way as Scootaloo. Without parents, and seemingly without a home. But as time went by, Rainbow Dash learned about herself and the companions that surrounded her. She had realized that your heritage isn't all you are, and there was more to the world of Equestria than achieving cute marks and awesomeness. The mare never thought she'd even think such things, but there was a time for everything, she supposed. Rainbow Dash never wanted anypony to feel the way she did before and after her cutie mark and her ability to fly. A feeling that nopony, and especially Scootaloo didn't deserve.

As Rainbow Dash ascended into the familiarity of the sky, she went straight for the massive fluffy cloud she called home. With her suggestion being crushed under the decision of the headmistress, all the familiar feelings that she had at the age of Scootaloo's, the mare couldn't help but dig up an old companion of hers.

A little stuffed animal, but more precisely, a little stuffed dog.

"Hello there, Buddy. It's been a long time since I saw you." Rainbow Dash cooed as she made herself comfortable in her bed.

Just then, as if the grown-up mare was a filly again, a time where awesomeness and being cool didn't matter near as much, Rainbow Dash sat down and had a conversation with her old friend, sharing everything from her insecurities to her strengths, her friends to enemies and everything between the earth and the sky. The sun had begun to set when Rainbow Dash finally stopped talking to the little bundle of worn clothes, before she let out a smile and thought of the little filly.

Whether or not she'll learn to fly, we have much more in common than I thought.


Bah, so not loving this chapter, but oh well. Sorry for the late update, revision for exams must be done! Much love. :)