• Published 14th May 2012
  • 6,018 Views, 189 Comments

Home is Where the Heart is - smileyfacer



Scootaloo struggles to know she is an orphan and wants nothing more than a family of her own.

  • ...
6
 189
 6,018

Chapter 5

"And due to Scootaloo's sudden outburst, I thought it'd share it with you. I hope it's not too much of an inconvience?"

The ever so kind voice of Cherilee made the headmistress smile, and she shook her head.

"Ofcourse not Cherilee. I'm glad you've brought this to my attention. I have noticed this aswell, and I worry much about the dear Scootaloo."

The purple pony nodded, and quietly continued to sip on the tea she had been given. Although she was no shrink, she had wanted nothing more than to talk to Scootaloo. Unlike Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, she had the utmost trouble of sharing her feelings and thoughts when it came to certain things, and such things were important to share with the ones who mattered the most. It didn't have to be Scootaloo's teacher whom she shared it with, just someone of importance to the little filly. When Scootaloo had burst out of the classroom after Cherilee's attempt to share these feelings, the first thing she had thought of was contacting the filly's parents, before she realized, she had none. She thought that the second best option would be the headmistress at the orphanage.

"Where is she now?" the headmistress asked, and Cherilee shrugged clueslessly.

"I wish I knew," she said, before taking a glance out of the window, "she's been gone for so long now. The sun is near done setting."

"We must set up a search team. Please contact Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, and ask their sisters for their aid." the headmistress commanded. Cherilee nodded and quickly left the orphanage as quickly as her legs could carry her. Before heading to Sweet Apple Acres, she made her way to the Carousel Boutique.

The headmistress sighed heavily before she left her office, and turned left to head towards the common room, where all the other foals were now sleeping peacefully. She tip-hooved down the hall to make sure that nopony would wake up from her night patrols. All the beds were full, except one.

Scootaloo's.

As it was customed, all ponies freshly arrived from any other part of Equestria, could choose the design on their bedsheets, and Scootaloo had not hesitated to choose something that was related to flying. On her bed, the cover was adorned with various types of clouds, but the blanket she faithfully slept with every night, portrayed only one thing.

The Wonderbolts.

Her adoration for the aerial group had started even before she came to Ponyville, but after meeting the somewhat known cyan mare, Rainbow Dash, the adoration had only grown. The headmistress knew not much of how much Scootaloo idolized the agile flyer, but she thought that it was something that the filly could keep to herself. She reached the end of the hall, and stood still to stare out of the circle shaped window that hung on the end wall. The sun had definitely set, and Equestria was in the hands of princess Luna. The steady breathing of the other foals was the only sound the headmistress heard, until she sighed heavily.

"Where are you, Scootaloo?"


Scootaloo was almost certain that it was day when she rose from her slumber. She squinted her eyes as she stared at the moon, and gasped slightly. It had never appeared so big or bright ever before, and Scootaloo instantly thought of princess Luna. She faintly remembered how somepony had told her the frightening tale of Nightmare Moon, but after her redemption, the mare who so often was the cause of the little filly's nightmares, she thought differently of the princess. Although her approach was wrong, Scootaloo understood how frustrated the younger unicorn sister must have been. Maybe the bright moon tonight was because Luna, after those years, still longed for more events to occur during the night, that ponies all over Equestria wouldn't assume would be of evil nature.

Scootaloo sighed, and felt a strange connection with Luna at that time. The little pegasus turned around to head back to the orphanage, but as she did, she also realized how late it actually was. The previously bright and welcoming forest, was now dark, and it reminded her more of the Everfree Forest rather than the forest she knew so well in the daylight. A sudden fear of walking through the darkness clenched her stomach tightly together. Scootaloo was all alone, and it was a realization that slowly came to her. Instead of going through the woods, she decided to go to the edge of the hill, and cry for help.

"Can somepony hear me!" she shouted, hear small ears high up in the air to pick up any response.

The only response was the dead silent of the night, and somehow that very silence was deafening.

"Hello! Is somepony out there?" she cried again, her ears slowly dropping as she realized that nopony would hear her.

"Please help me! I'll never run off like that again!"

Her desperate pleas only caused the resting birds to flee the scene in fright. Scootaloo felt the tears coming on again, but she shook her head, and walked even closer to the edge.

"Applebloom! Sweetie Belle!"

No response.

"Rainbow Dash!"

Utter and total silence.

Scootaloo sat down in frustration, and silently began to sob again.

"Please help me..." she whispered and stared down at the earth. She could make out the faint traces of the pegasus family she had drawn earlier, but didn't bother to erase it like she had before. Her sniffles were the only thing that she heard, and the thick tears in her eyes clouded her vision. Scootaloo opened them briefly to take a glance down on Ponyville, and suddenly noticed how a lot of lights had turned on. A vast amount of ponies began to shout a name and even though she couldn't hear it, she knew they were calling for her.

Calling her home.

Scootaloo suddenly rose with her tails and ears perked high into the air in excitement, relief and joy. She tried shouting again, and waved her hoof at the tiny figures.

"Applebloom! I'm here! Sweetie Belle, look up!"

Her shouting seemed to go on for quite awhile, before she realized it was useless.

Scootaloo sat down in disappointment, and took a glance around, to prepare herself to find a place to rest throughout the night. Even if the most diabolic of creatures primarily resided in the Everfree Forest, she wasn't about to take a chance and find out. The little filly turned around, and felt a sudden breeze in her mane. She looked towards the way she had arrived from, and noticed a ray of moonlight lighting up the area. She could even make out the little clearing that she had worked so hard on to make order in.

What is this? she wondered, and looked towards the dark sky.

There was nothing but the moon and stars to guide her home, but how?

Scootaloo wasn't a filly to think twice about getting home if she could, so she ran towards the beam of light, and as she stepped in it, it disappeared. Her heart pounded in fear, and she wondered if it had just been a mirage. Scootaloo let out a little gasp as the darkness she feared so much enveloped her, but as quickly as the light had vanished, as quickly a new ray of light appeared in the clearing. Scootaloo smiled widely, and made her way towards the light. When she touched it with just the tip of her hoof, the light vanished, but she remembered herself that another would appear just after. The little filly grinned as a new beam appeared, and ran to it. Quickly she realized that the beam would lead her home, and she almost found it entertaining to catch it as fast as possible, then impatiently waiting for the next to appear and so forth. Scootaloo didn't even realize it when she had stood locked in place for a couple of minutes, that she was out of the forest. She recognized the edge of the forest, and how she was outside of it. A familiar path and sign with 'Ponyville' embedded into it, she started to jump around in glee.

"I made it! I'm home!"

The pegasus filly was tempted to kiss the earth, but she realized that several ponies were worried about her, and instead she galloped as fast as she could towards Ponyville. Scootaloo clenched her teeth and wished nothing more than the ability to fly. If she could fly, she could've just flown down from the hill, and if she could now, those who searched for her wouldn't have to wait as long. Scootaloo shook her head as if to free the thought from her mind. Soon she saw the familiar light that so welcoming bid any newcomers to Ponyville. She headed into the center of town, and stopped for a minute.

Around the fountain, she saw countless ponies surrounding it. Some stood with torches to light up the dark night, whereas some stood close to those with torches to easily see in the dark light. The headmistress spoke, and took a glance around the ponies to see who were there. Suddenly, the older mare glanced Scootaloo's way, and gasped loudly.

"Scootaloo!"

All of the surrounding ponies gasped aswell, and turned around to face the little filly. With tears in her eyes, Scootaloo run to all of them, being approached by wide smiles and hugs galore. Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and not to mention Rainbow Dash came over and hugged the little filly tightly. Scootaloo was sure that if she had received any more hugs, her heart would burst from all the joy it suddenly contained.

"Where have you been? We've been worried sick about you!" Twilight Sparkle exclaimed, and held the little filly close.

"I'm sorry. I got lost on my way home from school." Scootaloo quickly lied and hoped the Cherilee wasn't around to tell the other ponies the truth of her disappearance.

"How in t' hay can ye' get lost on yer' way home from school?" Applejack wondered, and looked at Scootaloo with true concern in her eyes.

"I saw something really cool, and followed it into the forest."

All of the other ponies nodded sympathically. Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to speak, but before she had the chance, two balls of yellow and white fur tackled Scootaloo.

"You missy, are in so much trouble!" Sweetie Belle hissed as she had landed on top of Scootaloo. The little filly let out a sheepish grin, but with sad eyes as she noticed how worried her unicorn friend had been.

"I know. I'm sorry... I-"

"There ain't anything ye' can say t' make us feel better!" Applebloom chirped as she stood next to Sweetie Belle.

Scootalo had never seen her friends so furious at her, and although their worries annoyed her slightly, she realized she couldn't be. After all, they concern was only due to their love for her. The two fillies squealed as Scootaloo grabbed them and held them close.

"I'm so sorry girls. I'll never do it again, I promise."

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom shared a glance behind Scootaloo's purple mane, and smiled as they let out a slight nod to each other.

"Ye' bet you ain't ne'er doin' such a thin' again." the Earth filly mumbled, and withdrew from their hug. Sweetie Belle reached a hoof out to Scootaloo, who accepted it with a wide smile. After Scootaloo had gotten up on all fours, she noticed Rainbow Dash standing before her.

"You scared me pipsqueak." she coldly said.

Scootaloo lowered her head in shame.

"You made me lose my cool. Nopony's ever done that before. I guess that means you're special to me," Scootaloo's head lifted quickly after Rainbow said that, which caused the cyan pegasus to blush, before padding the filly, "so don't, eh, do it again, alright?"

Scootaloo nodded vigorously, and let out a wide smile.

"Alright everypony, let's go to bed. I'ts been a very exciting evening, and we all need some rest." the headmistress interrupted. She and Scootaloo said their final goodbyes to the as they both headed to the orphanage.
The two walked in silence.

"Scootaloo, you must never run away like that again. I will not tolerate it."

Scootaloo lowered her head as the headmistress spoke.

"I'm sorry."

The headmistress said nothing, but only opened the front door to the orphanage without a word. Scootaloo scampered inside as quietly as she could, shortly followed by the headmistress. The filly held her head low and dragged her self to the common rooms.

"Scootaloo."

She turned her head around, and quickly stood before the headmistress again.

"Yes?"

"We'll discuss this further tomorrow. You know actions such as this have consequences."

Scootaloo nodded weakly, and said a weak goodbye as she turned to go into the common room to rest. She had never been so excited to sleep in her own bed, with Teddy right next to her. Scootaloo almost jumped into bed as she reached it, and in a frenzy she grabbed Teddy from her drawer. The little filly slept almost instantly, but before she did, she took a glance at the moon. It seemed much smaller at the orphanage, and less bright aswell.

Thankyou princess.


"What do you mean I can't go on the field trip?!" Scootaloo loudly exclaimed as she spoke to the headmistress the following morning.

"Scootaloo, you ran away. I'm sorry, but such behaviour can't be rewarded, and the only thing I can do, is excluding you from the field trip. Furthermore, for a week, you must return to the orphanage right after school. No activites outside of school."

"Yes, headmistress." Scootaloo mumbled, and left the office. She had been to school, which had consisted of several questions about why she had run off, which she promptly ignored. Miss Cherilee had given her several glances throughout the day, but had remained silent of their talk the day before. But Scootaloo knew that the teacher was now aware of her situation, which the pegasus filly hated her teacher for. The headmistress had told her, that Cherilee had gone straight to her after her outburst, meaning that the headmistress would also know.

Scootaloo let out a sigh, as she fell down upon her bed, and buried her face in her pillow.

A whole week of not doing any crusading. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom would be furious.

She sighed heavily, and turned around to lay on her back.

No crusading for a week, and even an entire day off. If it wasn't because the trip was to Fillydelphia, she wouldn't have cared. But there were a lot of pegasus ponies in Fillydelphia, and she wondered if she could bump into Rainbow Dash while there.

So much for that, she grimly thought, and continued to ponder what she'd be doing all by herself after school the following week. Nothing occured to her.

Scootaloo sighed in annoyance and rose again. She could only imagine how boring, and routine like this entire week would be. She groaned and began to pace back and forward in the common room.

Then, a thought hit her.

There was a moderately sized hall meant for exercise and training if the orphans wished to partake in such activities, and with that in the back of her mind, Scootaloo knew exactly what she'd spend the week with.

She took a glance at her small wings, and began to flap them to test them a bit.

This week Scootaloo, you'll learn to fly!