• Published 21st May 2012
  • 1,434 Views, 41 Comments

The Secret Diary of an Equestrian Rich Pony: Diamond Tiara edition - discord7



This is Diamond Tiaras story, the reason she is the way she is.

  • ...
2
 41
 1,434

Breakfast With the Apples

My father and mother were both asleep, but I stayed awake I only had a few more hours to go. Daddy wanted Chisel gone by sunrise, which meant I only had a short time to put my plan into action. If there was one thing my father distrusted more than competition, it was banks. He kept his fortune in a vault deep in the confines of a secret tunnel beneath the mansion. I made the decent and when I got to the door I stopped, my heart racing.

If daddy wasn't going to give Chisel the money he owed him I was going to make sure he got it. Dad didn't have a combination to the vault, only my mother and I even knew about it, only we knew of the secret entrance. He even had his brother build it, and still pays him every month to keep his muzzle shut about it. I opened the vault, it creaked loudly, note to self 'bring oil next time'.

I ran in and filled the two saddle bags I had with me and lifted the heavy gold onto my back. It was very heavy, but for my only true friend, I had to do this. My legs wobbled with every step and eventually I was all but crawling my way to the exit. Then I saw a faint shimmer of light, father would be up soon, and Chisel would be gone. I pushed through and lifted myself with my newfound second wind.

As I walked outside and into the shed I saw Chisel. I placed the two saddle bags down, Chisel looked over at me. I gasped for air.

"Kid what are you doing here?" he asked questioningly.

"I couldn't let you leave without my father paying you it wouldn't be right." I wheezed.

"That's real nice kid, but I can't take this it'd be stealing I could get in a lot of trouble." he looked down at me obviously touched that anypony would try to help him.

"Actually it wouldn't be." A new voice said from the door, I jumped in surprise and spun around.

There in the doorway, was my mother.

"I'm married to him, which makes his money mine also, which means I can also pay you Chisel." she told him.

I had never thought she even knew any of the workers.

"I've been watching you two for quite some time and I really must thank you sir, if you had not come my poor daughter might not have known what true friendship was." I didn't even know she was watching us.

"You have shown my daughter who she really is, and although only we three will ever know this secret, we will all be forever indebted to you Mr. Chisel." She laughed. "My husband can be a bit stubborn at times, and although he may not want to admit, he does have a rather prominent chin." We all chuckled at my mother’s joke.

"Come, let us go to town and have breakfast shall we?" My mother offered.

Chisel pondered the idea for only seconds.

"Mm, na, I got a better idea." He said. He picked up the bags full of bits and placed them on his desk, he opened a dusty box on a shelf and pulled some papers out and stuffed them in one of the pockets of his own saddlebag. He transferred the money slung it over his back.

"Ok I'm ready just follow me ladies." We followed him to an old train that ran through town; we took the train for about ten minutes until Chisel said "Ok this is our stop."

We got off at Sweet Apple Acres Ranch; we were immediately greeted by a maroon pony I knew as Big Macintosh.

"A little late today are we Chisel ol' buddy?" The two wrestled playfully for a bit, then Chisel introduced us, "Big Mac this is Diamond Tiara and her mother, I've been doin some work for little miss Tiara's dad."

"Really?" Big Mac looked interested to hear the news "Well come on in then now, we got plenty of breakfast fer all of ya."

As we walked Chisel and Big Mac got caught up. I looked around I saw Apple Bloom and her sister playing in the field, once again I felt that old sense of loneliness. I would always be an only foal. We entered the dining room/kitchen of the Apple family, it was small and cramped, but still had an airy warm feeling that I never got at my dinner table. Granny Smith came in and rang a bell that hung outside the window.

"SOOOUUPS UP LITTLE FILLIES!" Her old voice cracked a bit.

Apple Bloom immediately saw me and paused, she glared at me and said, "What's she doin' here?"

"Calm down there AB she's my guest, I'll explain ova breakfast ok?" Chisel assured her.

As we ate, Chisel told her the story how my father had hired her, refused to pay how I had bravely stolen the money from my father to pay him, he of course left out the part where I started metal work.

"WOW," Apple Bloom said, "Diamond Tiara I always took you for a bully not a saint."

"I just didn't think it was right that's all," I told her shyly, "please don't tell anypony else I don't want my father to be ridiculed." I pleaded.

"Don't worry Diamond, yer secrets safe with us," Applejack assured, Apple Bloom nodded, "after all honesty like that is held high in the Apple family, an' you got it kiddo."

I smiled, wow more friends, I've never felt happier in my life.

"How's the food compared to fancy livin' Mrs. Rich?" Granny Smith asked my mother.

"I absolutely love it; I haven't had a home cooked meal since... before I married Filthy. Ever since then it's been gourmet this and imported that." She said mulling over the rich foods as if it was all old hashed potatoes. Once more everyone laughed at my father’s expense.

It was the best breakfast I had ever had and eventually it ended. It was time to say goodbye to Chisel.


We were at the dock with Chisel saying our goodbyes.

"Well kid this is it. By the way when you get home my shed's gonna be gone. I already told my guy's to move it, it's yours now." He told me, he handed me a key.

I looked up at him with tears in my eyes, "But I don't know where it is." I told him.

"Don't worry kid." He looked up and nodded at my mom. I looked over and she eyed me, she nodded. I smiled, she knew where it was, and she’d probably been in on the loop the whole time too.



As the boat left the dock we waved him off. We watched it go until we could no longer see the boat.

"He's gone," I said putting my head down "forever."

"Now, now Diamond, that's not how he'd want you to remember him, is it?" My mother assured. I looked up, and smiled.

No, no it was not the way he'd want me to remember him.

"Come on, mom I've got a statue to make." I told her, more confident than I had been since... well... ever.

...

As the boat came into the pier at Trottingham I opened my saddlebag. It was time. As I walked across the boardwalk and opened the envelope, inside were a note, and a map. I read the note first:

Dearest Chisel,
If you are reading this, you are in Trottingham. Here is a map to the fountain, as I said I will wait every day from ten until noon. Come my love, I will await every day until you arrive, please do not keep me waiting.

---With love,

yours always, Fluier.

I looked up to the clock, it was three thirty. I'd missed her deadline but I would not tomorrow. Either way I followed the map. I found the fountain half an hour later. It was a rather small fountain, propped in the middle of a crystal blue pond. I found a motel near the fountain. I rented a room for one night; I'd be out by morning. I laid my head down and went to sleep, a rest I hadn't experienced in thirteen long, long years.

When I woke it was to the sound of a knock on the door, "Sir, as per request, we are waking you up at ten of the hour." I got up put on my saddlebag and opened the door, I handed the bellhop a hoof-full of bits, and he was shocked.

"Keep the change." I said as I galloped happily out the doors.

Finally I would see my fiancé. I raced to the fountain, but when I arrived I saw that the fountain held not a single soul. Had I wasted my time all these years? No, she was just late that's all. She would arrive see me and run to my arms that’s how it would be.

I waited, and waited, and waited until I finally looked back to the clock, twelve o' one. She wasn't coming; I hung my head in defeat. I saw a small circular stain on one of the tiles.

"Chisel?" A voice said.

I looked up.