• Published 13th May 2012
  • 2,994 Views, 160 Comments

Vacation - iloveyouderpy



Twilight and her friends are over worked, so they decide to take a vacation to the beach.

  • ...
2
 160
 2,994

Iron Pony II

Rarity was downstairs, sitting at the kitchen table, with a cup of coffee in front of her. She usually doesn't drink coffee, but the smell and the steam helped clear her head. Her eyes felt heavy and her mind was all over the place. The sun has only just risen and even now, hours after the dream, she could still hear the tapping of the crab's legs on the wall.

Rarity jumped and shrieked in shock after she thought she felt something crawl on her back. She reached her hoof to her back and looked for a hermit crab, but there was none. Her mind was playing games, but this game wasn't fun. Not at all. She would see things moving at the corner of her eye. The paranoia was unbearable.

She took a whiff of the coffee and her mind felt a bit better. "Rarity," came a sweet gentle voice. "are you ok?"

Rarity looked up at her friend, Fluttershy, and forced a smile on her face. "I'm fine." Rarity said.

"Are you sure?" Fluttershy said, she walked up to Rarity and put a hoof around her. "Twilight told me about what happened, and it sounded just dreadful."

"I'm fine, Fluttershy. I just need some rest."

"Well, I was thinking, I mean if you want, we could, umm.... go to a spa. Just the two of us, like we usually do in Ponyville."

"That's sound lovely." Rarity said softly.

"Ooh, great." Fluttershy said, sounding very excited. "Well I heard there's a place just a few blocks down the road, and that they do it very differently than they do it in Ponyville."

"Sounds wonderful." Rarity said and then placed her head on the table and fell asleep.

"Well, ok then." Fluttershy said, backing up from Rarity. "I'll just let you sleep for right now." The yellow pegasus went back into her room.

----------------------

"What do ya reckon it is?" Applebloom asked her friends.

"I have no idea." Scootaloo said.

"It's so...weird looking." Sweetie Belle said.

The crusaders were gathered around a strange gray blob that laid on in the sand. It was so odd looking, so gooey looking, like a gray snot ball.

"One of us should touch it." Scootaloo said.

"Yeah, but who?" Applebloom asked. Scootaloo and Applebloom's eyes widen in thought and then stared, with a grin, at Sweetie Belle.

"Um... Why are you guys staring at me like that?" Sweetie Belle asked, getting a little scared.

Applebloom and Scootaloo quickly got behind Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo gave her a nudge.

"Go on Sweetie Belle." Applebloom said.

"Yeah, touch it." Scootaloo said.

"Are you two crazy, what if it hurts me or eats me or absorbs me or hurts me then eats me and then absorbs me?" Sweetie Belle said with paranoia.

"You'll be fine." Scootaloo said.

"Yeah, we're right behind ya." Applebloom spoke.

"Are you sure?" Sweetie Belle said, looking over her shoulder at her friends.

"Positive." The earth filly said.

"Well, ok." Sweetie Belle said and she lifted her foreleg and drew her hoof slowly closer to the thing in the sand. Her friends stood behind her shaking in fear, but not as much as Sweetie Belle.

"STOP!" Yelled a voice. The three looked over at the beach house and saw Twilight galloping in there direction. Sweetie Belle's hoof was mere inches from the gray blob. "DON'T TOUCH THAT JELLYFISH!" She came to a halt, just in front of the blob.

"A what?" the group said in a kind of chorus.

"A jellyfish." Twilight said again. "It's a poisonous creature that floats in the water and stings anything that touches it."

"I told you guys, we shouldn't touch it." Sweetie Belle said, pulling her hoof back away from the jellyfish.

"They are very remarkable creatures, did you know..." Twilight spoke.

---------------------

Rainbow Dash was on her rainbow designed surfboard, surfing the ocean waves. It was quite a skill for a pony to surf. Not only did ponies need to balance on the board, but they also had to balance on two legs. Rainbow Dash rode up the wave, like a ramp, and did a flip in midair and stuck the landing.

On the shore ponies were shouting, cheering, and clapping their hooves. Rainbow Dash could hear them over the roar of the waves and this made her feel awesome, well more awesome than usual. The rainbow maned pegasus did a grind on the edge of wave. The crowd went nuts.

Rainbow Dash came up to shore and encouraged the crowd to cheer louder.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!" The crowd roared.

"I can't here you." Rainbow Dash said, putting a hoof to her ear.

"RAINBOW DASH!" The crowd cheered louder. Rainbow Dash raised her hooves into the air and the ponies roared.

Applejack walked up to Rainbow Dash and put a hoof on her shoulder to get her attention. Rainbow turned to Applejack with a smile on her face. "You're doin' it again." Applejack said.

"Doing what? Being awesome." Rainbow Dash replied.

"No, you're gloating."

"So, you're just jealous that I'm a better athlete than you." Rainbow Dash said.

"Are we really doin' this again?" The orange farm pony said. "Alrighty then, what are we doin'? Another Iron Pony contest?"

"Oh, so you want to contest, huh?" Rainbow Dash said. She could already picture her self winning and proving to her friend that she was more athletic. "Alright you're on. Same rules as last time and the one with the most wins is the most athletic pony on the beach." Rainbow Dash spat on her hoof and Applejack did the same. They locked hooves in show of their agreement.

"And this time, no wings." Applejack said.

"No problem." Rainbow said.

---------------------------

Ponies of all genders, races, and colors surrounded the court as Rainbow Dash and Applejack were about to perform the first event of their second Iron Pony competition. It was the beach volleyball contest and it one on one. They each stood on their own side of the court, behind the net.

Applejack served the ball and the game and the tournament began. Rainbow Dash bumped the white ball, with her hooves, over the net. Applejack bumped it as well. The ball went much slower over the net and Rainbow Dash, without using her wings, spiked the ball. Applejack had no time to react and the ball bounced into the sand.

"You should quit now before you embarrass yourself." Rainbow said.

"Keep ya insults to yourself." Applejack said. It's just a game. Applejack thought to herself. No, she had to win or else Rainbow Dash will never learn.

Applejack Picked up the ball and served the ball and it flew over the long net, over to Rainbow Dash's side of the court. Rainbow Dash hit the ball with her wing as hard as she could and the ball just barely went over the net. This hurt Rainbow Dash's wing and lost her concentration on the ball. Applejack bucked the ball with her hind legs and the ball smacked into the sand.

"Hey, no fair. I wasn't paying attention." Rainbow Dash said as she rubbed her wing with her hoof.

"Can't take the pain, don't play the game." Applejack said as she gave a cocky chuckle.

"Alright, game point." Rainbow Said. She picked up the ball, tossed it slightly into the air, and hit it from the bottom with her right hoof. The ball went high into the air and the sun made it hard for Applejack to see the ball. The light from the sun burned Applejack's eyes and for a second she was sure she had gone blind. She took a random swing of her hoof and felt it hit something hard.

Applejack instantly began to rub her eyes with her orange hooves. Tears flowed down her face as her eyes burned from massive light of the sun. There was roar of cheering coming from all around Applejack.

I guess that's that. Applejack thought to herself as she whipped the tears from her face. Rainbow Dash is probably rolling in the attention right now.

Applejack's vision had returned and she gazed upon the dozens of ponies cheering and banging their hooves, not for Rainbow Dash, but for her. For a moment Applejack was in shock, but long after did her shocked expression turn into a smile. She had one the first round. She looked away from the crowed and glanced over at Rainbow Dash.

"You won this round." Rainbow Dash said. "But this was just the beginning."

Rainbow was very determined to win, even more so than usual. She was getting nasty towards Applejack. Applejack was worried for both Rainbow Dash and herself. Somepony could get hurt, or worst.

--------------------

Rarity and Fluttershy laid in a saltwater hot tub in a salon called Silverwing Tropical Spa. Steam rose from the tub as the two friends sat back in total relaxation. Thank you, Fluttershy." Rarity said.

"Oh, it's no trouble." Fluttershy said happily and relaxed. "You needed it."

"I sure did." Rarity said. "This saltwater bath is to die for."

"I'm glad you like it."

A light pink pony with a curly yellow mane walked up to the two mares and spoke with a very strong accent. "How are you two doing? Relaxed?" although it sounded more like this, "Howz are yous twoz doeng?"

"Oh, I'm more than relaxed." Rarity said, sinking deeper into the water. "I feel like I've drifted into a section of my mind I never thought existed."

"Zat's Fanztastic." the spa employee said.

"Ah, I hope everypony else is having just as much fun as we are." Fluttershy said.

----------------------

It was the second event of the competition between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. The two ponies stood behind a line drawn out in the sand. There audience was much larger now, probably around the numbers a hundred and a hundred-fifty. Their cheer was loud and could be heard from a long distance. Spike was on the sideline, wearing a referee uniform and a whistle around his neck.

"Alright you two," Spike yelled over the crowd too the two competitors. "this is the mile dash and the object is to be the first to cross the finish line, which is exactly a mile down the beach. May the best pony win."

Here we go again. thought Applejack. It's the Running of the Leaves all over again. I gotta win though, I just gotta. Rainbow needs ta learn she isn't all high and mighty.

"Ponies, on your mark!" Spike yelled. The crowd roared with a cheer. "Get set!"

Rainbow Dash and Applejack were bent over, ready to dash down the beach as fast as they could. Both determined, both hungry for the win.

Spike blew the whistle .

Rainbow Dash and Applejack galloped into a full sprint. The race had begun. They were both neck and neck of each other. The roar of the crowd muted out the sound of the waves crashing onto the shore. Applejack turned her head at Rainbow Dash, who was staring back with intimidating eyes.

"You're going down AJ." Rainbow Dash said.

"Oh, no I ain't." Applejack said and started pulling ahead of Rainbow Dash.

"Not so fast." Rainbow said. She grabbed Applejack's tail with her mouth and then yanked. Applejack fell into the sand and watched as Rainbow Dash took the lead.

"That cheater." Applejack said. Rainbow Dash turned her head as she ran and looked at Applejack. She closed her eyes and stuck her tongue out. The ground vanished and Rainbow Dash fell down into a fifteen foot ditch. Applejack ran around the hole with a grin on her face.

Rainbow Dash had an angry look on her face, but that soon disappeared as she felt hundreds of hermit crabs crawl onto her body. She shrieked with fear and flew out of the hole, covered in crabs. She zipped passed Applejack.

"Hey, I said no wings." Applejack said and then started running faster.

"Get them off! Get them off!" Rainbow Dash yelled, her voice cracking on every other word. Applejack watched, while she ran, as Rainbow Dash flew higher into the sky and began doing flips and turns.

"That little showoff." Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash came bolting down to the ground and then swooped up before hitting the sandy ground. Most of the crabs had fallen off, but four or five were still hanging on tight to Rainbow Dash's body. She got faster and faster, trying to get the little buckers off her.

BOOM!

Rainbow Dash was trailed by a stream of colors and the ground quaked and knocked Applejack off her hooves. The colorful blast could be seen from miles and the ground under where the sonic rainboom was performed was a giant crack that went a hundred feet into the sand.

Rainbow Dash passed the finish line and the crowd cheered louder than ever, to the epicness of the sonic rainboom. Rainbow Dash stopped flying and started waving her hooves all over her body, knocking off the remaining hermit crabs. She breathed heavily from exhaustion.

Applejack walked up to her, looking horrifyingly angry. "I thought I told you no wings." Applejack said.

"I'm sorry AJ, but I was covered in hermit crabs getting pinched to death." Rainbow Dash said.

"Yeah, right."

The two friends gave each other an hateful look.

-----------------------

Rarity and Fluttershy were walking out of the salon with smile on their faces. "Well Fluttershy, I can't thank you enough for bringing me here." Rarity said.

"Oh, you're quite welcome. I had a good time. It's a shame we couldn't stay longer but that earthquake apparently broke the heaters and made a real mess in the maintenance area." Fluttershy said.

"Yeah. But all the same it was a wonderful time. I feel like a completely new mare."

"Same here, and for such a good price. 10 bits for a hooficure. What a deal."

"Yes, and the service was excellent." Rarity said. "I mean look how fabulous they made my mane look." Rarity began touching her purple mane with her right forehoof.

"It looks gorgeous." Fluttershy said.

"Now, should we go back to the house or should we go somewhere for lunch?" Rarity asked.

"Lunch does sound good." Fluttershy said putting her hoof to her stomach.

"Because I saw this place on the way here that looked good. I'll pay."

-----------------------

Pinkie Pie stood in the center of the crowd on the beach, cheering for her two best friends as they competed against each other in tether ball. The pink earth pony was jumping up and down with excitement. "Go Rainbow Dash! No, go Applejack! No, go Rainbow Dash! No, wait..."

Applejack smacked the ball and it went around the pole twice before being intercepted by Rainbow Dash. A light bulb lit over Pinkie's head. She had an idea and she felt like it was a perfect idea. "I should through a party for them." She said. "There'll be balloons, cake, games, punch, music...ooh it's brilliant." She squeed and then bolted off to prepare the party.

------------------------

Applejack bucked the ball with her hind legs as hard she could and the ball hit Rainbow Dash in the face. The white ball went around the pole around eight or ten times, giving Applejack the game winning point. The total score of the Iron Pony Competition was tied, 9 to 9, and it was time for the final event that will prove who is really the most athletic pony in Equestria. Surfing.

Applejack had a plain red surfboard, which she rented at a surf shop earlier that day. Rainbow Dash had the same rainbow designed surfboard that she was using earlier.

"Ladies and gentlecolts," Spike announced through a megaphone, where he found it no one knows. "This is the final event, winner takes all. We have with us Octavia, Vinyl Scratch, and Trixie who will be judging this final even."

"That's the Great and Powerful Trixie to you." Trixie said.

Spike paid no attention to her and continued talking into the megaphone. "The score is tied, nine to nine, and the winner of this event will be crowned this years Iron Pony. The contest is surfing, rules are simple. The one given the highest score by the judges wins. Rainbow Dash you are up first."

Rainbow Dash walked up to Applejack before getting into the ocean and said, "Hey Applejack, may the best mare win." in a kind voice. Applejack was shock by this, the entire time Rainbow Dash has been snotty and mean and competitive, and now all of a sudden she's being a good sport.

"Yeah," Applejack said with a smile and the two friends shook hooves. Rainbow Dash got into the water and got on her belly on the surfboard. She paddled for a good two minutes before she stood up on two hooves and began riding the waves. Applejack had to admit it to herself, Rainbow Dash could surf.

Rainbow Dash went up the wave into the air and did a double flip, sticking the landing perfectly. Vinyl cheered while Trixie looked unamused. "I, personally, could do better." Trixie said.

The wave grew taller, so Rainbow Dash hurried and hit it like a ramp and spun three-hundred-sixty degrees. The crowed went wild. Rainbow finished off with sudden shot up into the air and dived into the water, with her surfboard still under her. The crowd was on the edge of their seats, well if they were sitting they would be. It was a good ten seconds as everyone waiting to see what would happen next. Rainbow Dash burst from the water, still on her board, did a front flip and landed onto the shore.

The audience went insane. Fillies tried to reach out to Rainbow Dash as she walked by. She walked up to Applejack.

"Wow, Rainbow Dash that sure was incredible." Applejack said.

"Thanks" Rainbow Dash said to her orange friend.

"So what made ya have a change in attitude?" Applejack said.

"I don't know, I guess I just realized it ain't losing a friend over."

Applejack smiled, heart warmed from what Rainbow Dash had said. "You're a good friend RD."

"You're still going down." Rainbow Dash said with a friendly, but intimidating smile.

"Oh we'll see about that." Applejack said returning the same expression. They both shared a laugh before spike announced that the judges had finished scoring Rainbow Dash. The looked over at the judges table. Octavia held up an 9, Vinyl held up a 10, and Trixie (the Great and Powerful Trixie) held up a 6.

"Oh, I'd like to get my hooves on that Trixie." Applejack said.

"Hey, it's ok." Rainbow Dash spoke, putting a hoof on Applejack's shoulder.

"Applejack, you're up next." Spike said directly to Applejack.

"Good luck." Rainbow Dash said.

"Thanks" Applejack said. The orange earth pony picked up her surfboard and went out into the ocean. She paddled, for what felt like hours. Up ahead was the wave. The wave lifted her and her board up and she stood up on two hooves. She looked over at the shore and saw Rainbow Dash watching with a smile on her face.

I think she learned her lesson.

Applejack thought and just jumped off her board. The crowd and the judges gasped. Applejack and her board came up to the shore. Rainbow Dash galloped over to the orange pony. "What happened out there, you just jumped off." Rainbow Dash said, sounding concerned.

"Rainbow Dash, it's ok. You're obviously the most athletic pony." Applejack said.

"But, you didn't even try to win."

Applejack didn't say anything and just walked away. Rainbow Dash smiled as the crowd cheered all around her.