• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 8,498 Views, 156 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 2 - SuperPinkBrony12



The second installment of a What If series, that involves the rewriting of episodes from Seasons 1-4 (Warning!: The rewritten episodes are the result of my personal opinion.)

  • ...
12
 156
 8,498

S1 E24: Owl's Well That Ends Well (What If?)

It was nighttime in Equestria, but tonight was going to be a very special night. A meteor shower was to take place in a little over an hour, and it was all anyone in Ponyville had been talking about for the past few days.

Nopony was more excited about this however, than Twilight Sparkle. Night after night she had found it hard to doze off, thoughts of the meteor shower kept her awake. Needless to say, Spike was relieved that the night of the meteor shower had finally arrived. Hopefully, after tonight he could get some peace and quiet for a change.

"This meteor shower tonight is going to be amazing!" Twilight said, unable to contain her enthusiasm.

"No kidding." Spike replied.

"You know, this shower only happens once every 100 years." Twilight went on, this fact had been what really got her interested in the meteor shower.

"I guess you can call it, a centennial celebration!" Spike added.

Twilight simply nodded "We better get a move on!"

"Don't wanna be late!" Spike agreed. He was pulling a wagon that was to be loaded up with supplies, suddenly he felt himself unable to maintain his balance and he began to wobble. "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Fortunately, he was able to correct himself before it was too late, and when he did he let out a sigh of relief. "That was close." he said to himself.

"Spike, did you grab my quill and ink?" Twilight suddenly asked.

"Check!" Spike replied.

"Scrolls?" Twilight asked.

"Check!" Spike replied, then he said "I've also packed a telescope, apples, bananas, fruit punch, and my freshly baked homemade triple-decker nut-crazy vanilla cream cookies!"

Twilight couldn't help but giggle as Spike helped himself to one of the cookies, and got a few crumbs on his face. "I can see that. Once again you've read my mind, Spike. And that is why, you, are my number one assistant."

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you." Spike replied, in reality he was only pretending.

Twilight decided to play along "That is why, you, are my number one assistant."

"Missed that! Huh...?" Spike said, once again pretending he hadn't heard.

"I said..." Twilight began, but she quickly stopped herself and giggled "Come on, let's get going."

"Sure thing." Spike replied.

Suddenly, Twilight remembered something "Wait! I almost forgot! I wanna bring the Astronomical Astronomer's Almanac to All Things Astronomy. Can you get it for me Spike?"

Spike was, needless to say, confused. "The Astronomo-lomo homono what?" he asked.

"You know that really old big blue book on stars, moons, planets, the universe...?" Twilight explained.

"Oh, right. Check!" Spike replied, and raced away to retrieve it. It didn't take long for him to find the book Twilight had mentioned, unfortunately the book was very old and very dusty. When Spike opened it up, a cloud of dust overwhelmed him. He soon felt the urge to sneeze, and he tried to resist. "Ah... Ahh... Ahhh... Ahhhh...!" he sighed when he felt he wasn't going to sneeze after all. But no sooner had he done that when he let out a huge sneeze. This caused him to shoot out flames from his mouth. When he opened the book up again, he was horrified to see that he had accidentally burned the pages to a crisp.

"Oh no! How am I gonna explain this to Twilight?" Spike thought nervously to himself.

To make matters worse, Twilight called "Spike, what's taking you so long?"

Spike began to panic, and in a fit of desperation he did something he would come to regret later. He placed the book back on the shelf. "What Twilight doesn't know won't hurt her." he thought to himself, and made his way back downstairs.

"I was sure I put the astronomer's guide back." Twilight said to Spike, as they made their way up to the top of a hill. From here, they would be able to get a good view of the meteor shower. "The book would have helped me identify different planets and stars tonight."

"Well... Maybe someone borrowed it?" Spike lied "Besides, you don't need that book. You can already name all the planets and stars, 'cause you're super smart and astronomically awesome!"

"Thanks, Spike. You're such a flatterer." Twilight complimented.

"Think nothing of it. It just goes to show how well I know you." Spike replied "We've been together for years, and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon."

"Very true. You're so close to me you might as well be family." Twilight said sweetly.

"My thoughts exactly." Spike replied, smiling all the while.

Rainbow Dash was munching on an apple, as she observed the heartwarming scene. "Wow, Twilight! You're lucky to have such a rad assistant." she said, in between bites of her apple. "I wish I had someone to do whatever I told them."

"Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! Me!" Scootaloo said eagerly, jumping up and down "I'll do whatever you want, Rainbow Dash!"

"Oh yeah, pipsqueak?" Rainbow Dash asked, tossing an apple core to Scootaloo "How about taking out the trash?".

"Yes ma'am!" Scootaloo replied, eagerly snatching up the apple core in her mouth. Rainbow Dash was quite surprised to see that she'd actually followed through with the command.

"Do we have Spike to thank again for this amazing spread?" Rarity asked Twilight, Twilight nodded in reply. "Isn't he simply amazing?" Rarity said, making Spike blush.

"Oh, come on." Spike replied "It's all part of being an assistant."

"Little Spikey-wikey!" Pinkie Pie said sweetly, pating Spike's head with her hoof "Who knew that big ferocious dragon started off so cutesy wootsy?"

"I quite like that nickname." Rarity thought to herself "I'll have to ask Pinkie Pie if it's okay for me to borrow that term."

"Aw shucks." Spike said innocently, unable to keep himself from blushing once again.

"Spike, you are such a little star that I had to make a little bow tie for you." Rarity spoke up, using her magic to give Spike a bowtie with multicolored gem stones stiched into it.

"Gosh. You guys are embarrassing me. Stop it." Spike replied, blushing so profusely that it was impossible not to notice the bright shade of red on his face.

"Spike, that's enough." Twilight said seriously, she didn't want all of the attention to get into Spike's head.

"Oh, right. That's enough." Spike said, somewhat embarassed.

"Hey, everypony! The show is starting!" Sweetie Belle called. And indeed it was.

The meteor shower was an awe inspiring event. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had a hard time seeing the shower, until their big sisters lifted them onto their backs. Scootaloo stood next to Rainbow Dash the entire time, enjoying every moment of being next to her idol.

Twilight and Spike enjoyed the shower as well, but Spike found it hard to stay awake. It wasn't long before he began to feel very sleepy.

"Mmm. Wow! These cookies are delish!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, helping herself to some cookies after the shower had ended.

"Spike made them." Twilight replied "Speaking of which, Spike, can you bring us some punch?"

There was no reply.

"Spike?" Twilight called, again there was no reply. Then, suddenly Twilight heard what sounded like snoring. She looked down, and saw that Spike had fallen asleep in the empty punch bowl.

"Oh, poor little thing." Rarity said softly, though she had to admit he looked pretty cute while asleep.

"Aww... He's worked himself to the bone." Twilight added.

"And now the punch has been... 'spiked'!" Pinkie Pie chuckled. Everypony laughed.

Twilight quickly brought Spike home, taking great care not to wake him up. "Goodnight Spike." she said sweetly, as she tucked him into bed "Sweet dreams, little guy." Spike continued to snore.

"He truly is like family to me, I don't know what I'd do without him." Twilight thought to herself, as she made her way downstairs "He's been working so hard lately, I've got to find a way to make it up to him."

Twilight sat down at her desk, and by candlelight she began to write her report on the meteor shower. "The Study of Comets. Comets are small, irregularly shaped bodies that are made of non-volatile grains and frozen gases. They have body structures that are fragile and diverse. With a surrounding cloud of material called a coma, that grows in size and brightness as the comet approaches the sun." she said to herself, as she wrote down her report on a scroll.

The next morning, Spike was still asleep. It was obvious the events of last night had worn him out completely. Rather than try to wake him up, Twilight decided to let Spike sleep in. It was the least she could do after everything he'd done for her.

Twilight had just finished eating her breakfast, when there was a knock at the front door. "Strange, I wasn't expecting company." she said to herself "It's probably Pinkie Pie inviting me to another one of her parties. I'll just have to politely decline."

But when Twilight opened the door, she was greeted not with the sight of Pinkie Pie as she had been expecting. Instead, Fluttershy was the one standing out in the broad daylight. "Oh, hello Twilight. Sorry if I'm disturbing you." Fluttershy apologized.

"Oh don't be silly Fluttershy, you weren't disturbing me at all." Twilight replied "In fact, why don't you come on inside? It's been a while since we've talked."

"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to be a burden." Fluttershy said kindly.

"You won't be a burden at all." Twilight reassured Fluttershy, and quickly guided her inside. "Would you like something to eat?"

"Thanks, but I already ate breakfast." Fluttershy replied "And doesn't Spike usually do the cooking around here?"

"He does, but I figured he deserves a break after last night. He's still upstairs, sleeping." Twilight explained.

"Is he really?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yes, I don't think I've ever seen him sleep for so long before. And I should know, I helped raise him." Twilight replied.

"He's not use to being up late all the time, is he?" Fluttershy asked with concern.

"Not really. Then again, he is a baby dragon and he needs his rest." Twilight explained.

"You certainly seem to be concerned about his well being." Fluttershy noticed.

"Why shouldn't I be? Princess Celestia entrusted me with his care, I can't disappoint her. Besides, Spike has been a part of my life since the day I got my cutie mark." Twilight said seriously.

"I'm not saying it's a bad thing. In fact, I really appreciate how much you care about him, and I'm sure he does too." Fluttershy smiled.

"No kidding." Twilight replied, before sighing "But I feel kind of guilty."

"What do you mean?" Fluttershy asked.

"I've made him do so much work lately, and all I've really done to reward him is say thank you." Twilight admitted, sighing some more "I mean, you saw how Rarity gave him that bowtie. I haven't offered him anything even remotely close, outside of an occasional gem to snack on. I really want to do something for him that says 'Thanks for all your hard work. I really appreciate it'."

"Have you ever thought about giving him a day off?" Fluttershy suggested.

"I would love to, really." Twilight replied "But I can't. I know Spike wouldn't feel comfortable taking the day off, unless he knew I'd be fine on my own. Not to mention, the very next day he'd be reporting to work as usual as if nothing happened. I need something that will really show him how much I appreciate everything he's done. I just wish I knew that something was."

"Well, how often does Spike stay up late?" Fluttershy asked Twilight.

"Quite a lot I'm afraid." Twilight admitted "Unfortunately, such is the life of an assistant."

"Well, I think I know of something that could help." Fluttershy replied.

"Really? What is it?" Twilight asked.

"You know how I have a lot of animal friends?" Fluttershy began, Twilight nodded. "Well, I have so many of them that I'm unable to keep them all. Every so often, I look for ponies who I believe I can trust, and ask them if they want to take one of the animals into their home. That's how Pinkie Pie and Gummy first met."

"I see. I was wondering how Pinkie could obtain a pet baby alligator." Twilight replied.

"Anyway, I recently obtained a very unusual new animal friend." Fluttershy continued "It's an owl, but strangely enough it seems to be more active during the daytime than the nighttime."

"That's definitely not something you come across everyday." Twilight commented "So, I take it you want me to take said owl into my home?"

"Of course. If you don't mind that is." Fluttershy explained.

"Does the owl have a name?" Twilight asked.

"I haven't given him one yet." Fluttershy replied "You can name him whatever you want. But are you sure Spike will understand?"

"Of course I'm sure." Twilight said confidently, but she should've asked Spike what he thought before finalizing her decision.

Spike slept soundly for quite a while, but eventually he was awoken from his slumber by the rays of Celestia's sun. Yawning a little, he opened his eyes. "That was some meteor shower last night." he said to himself, then he looked at the clock on Twilight's dresser. "Oh no, I overslept! Oh, Twilight is gonna be so mad!" he gasped, and hurridly raced downstairs.

Twilight was already there, waiting for him. "Good morning Spike, nice to see you're finally awake." she said kindly.

Spike took no notice, he was too obeserved in the fact that he'd overslept. "Oh please don't be upset, Twilight!" he pleaded "And what do you want for breakfast? Oatmeal? How about a sunflower smoothie? Grass pancakes?"

"Spike, don't worry. I've already had breakfast." Twilight explained.

"But what about my morning chores?" Spike asked frantically.

"They've already been taken care of Spike, courtesy of Owlowiscious." Twilight replied.

"Who's Owlowiscious?" Spike asked, he had never heard of such a name before.

"He's the new junior assistant." Twilight explained "He's here to help lighten your workload by doing some of the chores you usually do."

Now Spike felt worried, he didn't like the sound of "junior assistant". "What do we even need a junior assistant for?" he asked "I can manage just fine on my own."

"Spike, don't worry. Owlowiscious is just here to help. In fact, he's in the library right now." Twilight smiled "Why don't you go introduce yourself to him?"

"Do I have to?" Spike asked, he really didn't want to meet this "Owlowiscious" if he could help it.

"Come on Spike, there's nothing to be afraid of. Owlowiscious won't hurt you." Twilight said firmly "Just go introduce yourself. I'm sure Owlowiscious will be glad to see you."

Spike gulped "Well, alright I guess." he said, and nervously headed over to where Twilight told him "Owlowiscious" would be waiting. "Hello?" he greeted nervously.

"Owlowiscious" slowly turned his head around to greet Spike. He had dark brown feathers on his head and wings, with lighter brown feathers on his body. "Hoo." he greeted.

"Uh, you must be Owlowiscious. My name is Spike, welcome to The Golden Oaks Library." Spike replied. Was it just him, or did the owl seem kind of creepy?

"Hoo." Owlowiscious said in reply.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Twilight says you're here to help." Spike said seriously "Well just so you know, I've been an assistant for far longer than you have. I've got senority, so don't get any ideas about trying to take my place!"

"Hoo?" Owlowiscious hooted, he seemed rather surprised.

"I'm not accusing you of anything, I just thought I'd let you know. I don't need competetion." Spike snorted.

"Hoo!" Owlowisicious said crossly, sounding very upset.

"Oh, sorry. Did I touch a nerve?" Spike asked sympathetically "I didn't mean to be so rude. I'm sure we'll get along just fine Owlowiscious."

"Hoo hoo!" Owlowiscious hooted happily.

"Glad you understand. I'd rather have you as a friend, than an enemy." Spike replied "Whadya say we shake on it?" And with that, he extended his left claw out.

Owlowiscious was confused "Hoo?" he asked.

"Just hold out your wing." Spike instructed.

Owlowiscious did so, and Spike showed him how to shake. After that, Owlowiscious turned his head back around to the front.

"Well, glad I don't have to worry about Fussy Feathers over there trying to steal my job." Spike said to himself "In a matter of time things will go back to normal, and I'll still be Twilight's number one assistant."

Unfortunately, it wasn't long before Owlowiscious began to make Spike feel jealous. It certainly didn't help that Twilight had appointed him "junior assistant" without asking Spike if he was okay with such a thing.

"Spike!" Twilight called one day "Can you fetch me that old book called Two Headed Mythlogical Mysteries?"

"I'm on it!" Spike replied, and went to retrieve a ladder.

"Spike!" Twilight called, as Spike began to climb up the ladder.

"Hold on Twilight, I've almost got it!" Spike said seriously, just then the ladder began to wobble. Spike found it hard just to keep his balance.

"Spike, come down from there before you hurt yourself!" Twilight pleaded, she was frantic. The ladder looked like it could give way at any second.

"Just give me a second Twilight!" Spike called back, ignoring the warning. "This will show that silly owl who's the number one assistant around here." he thought to himself. But he misjudged his last step, and by the time he realized this it was too late. As he was trying to regain his footing, the ladder collapsed. It hit the floor with a loud crash.

Twilight raced to the scene of disaster, a look of horror frozen on her face. "Oh please, please let him be okay." she thought nervously to herself.

Spike rose up with a loud growl, he was more angry than hurt. "Stupid ladder!" he snorted.

"Spike, are you okay?" Twilight asked.

"I've felt better, but I'll live." Spike replied "Nothing's broken."

"Oh good, you had me worried there for a moment." Twilight said, letting out a much needed sigh of relief "I tried to tell you Spike, Owlowiscious flew up and got the book for me. Thanks to him, you no longer have to climb up and down that ladder to retrieve books for me."

"Just great." Spike muttered, glaring at Owlowiscious.

The next day, Twilight was busy writing down some notes on a scroll. All of a sudden, there was a loud snap! "Aw shoot! That's the fifth time this month!" Twilight complained.

"What's wrong Twilight?" Spike asked. He had come running the moment he'd heard Twilight's groan of frustration.

"My last writing quill just broke." Twilight explained, holding up the broken quill to emphasize her point.

"Say no more Twilight, I'm on it!" Spike replied eagerly, and he began to search for a replacement quill. It wasn't long before he was causing a comotion.

"Hoo!" Owlowiscious complained, looking on at the scene with disapproval. Spike was making quite a mess, as he searched for a replacement quill.

"Come on, come on! Where do we keep those spare quills?!" Spike said to himself, looking in every drawer and under every table and bed. He searched high, he searched low, but no matter where he looked he failed to find a quill.

He was just about to set off into town, when Twilight grabbed him with her magic. "Spike, I appreciate your efforts but you're turning this whole place upside down."

"But what about the quill?" Spike asked.

"Owlowiscious was kind enough to give me one of his feathers to use." Twilight explained, holding the new quill up so she could show it to Spike. The new quill was brown instead of red, but otherwise it was exactly the same as the one before it.

This made Spike mad, and at last he lost patience. He was fed up with Owlowiscious constantly doing his job for him. "Well you know what, that's just great! Real nice of him to do that!" he said sarcastically "Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll just get to work on cleaning up my mess! Or did Owlowiscious already take care of that too?!"

"Oh don't be silly Spike, you know the rules." Twilight said seriously "You make a mess, you clean it up."

"I know I know, far be it from that owl to take that away from me!" Spike complained.

"Now Spike, you know Owlowiscious isn't trying to replace you. He's only trying to help." Twilight replied.

"Whatever, I might as well get to work on cleaning up this place before Owlowiscious decides to do it for me." Spike said crossly, and he set to work. He grumbled all the way through, and when he was finished he was so worn out from being angry that he fell asleep almost at once. "Maybe I'm being a little too hard on Owlowiscious." he thought, just before he dozed off.

Spike was woken from his sleep by a loud thud. He opened his eyes to see something he had hoped he would never see again.

"Spike, do you know what this is?" Twilight asked, the stern look on her face made Spike feel incredibly uneasily.

"That's the Astronomical Astronomer's Almanac to All Things Astronomy." Spike said, then he gasped. He realized what was coming next.

"This is the very same book you said was missing, but Owlowiscious found it on the shelf just a short time ago. Right where it belongs, I might add." Twilight angrily told Spike "But that's not what I wanted to talk you about. Take a look at the inside, I'm sure you'll notice what the problem is."

Spike opened the book, and was greeted with the sight of the burnt pages. Now he knew for sure that he was in big trouble, he'd been caught red clawed.

"So, Spike. Is there something you'd like to explain?" Twilight asked crossly "How did the book get like this? Because I'm pretty sure it wasn't this way originally."

"Uh... well... I." Spike stuttered, the words he wanted to say died on his tongue.

"I'm waiting." Twilight said, glaring at Spike.

"Funny story actually." Spike said, laughing nervously "I... you know I would never do anything to intentionally cause trouble for you, right?"

"I know that, but that doesn't explain what happened!" Twilight said crossly "I don't have all day Spike! I want to know how this happened, and I want to know now!"

"I just didn't wanna disappoint you and, uh... Have you ever seen a dragon sneeze?" Spike asked.

"Well I've certainly seen a dragon lie." Twilight scolded "I'm very disappointed in you Spike. Haven't I told you before not to lie to me?"

"I thought you would be upset if I told you." Spike admitted, trying not to show how scared he was "I didn't mean for it to happen, it was an accident. I swear."

"Spike, I'm not mad that you burned that book." Twilight said seriously, looking Spike in the eye "I'm mad at the fact that rather than fess up, you lied to me. I trusted you, and you betrayed that trust by keeping this a secret from me!"

"Twilight, I'm sorry." Spike pleaded "I was gonna tell you eventually."

"You should've told me when it happened!" Twilight scolded "I probably would've been upset, but I would've understood. Instead, you lied to my face! And now that you've done so, how I can know for sure I can trust you?! How do I know you won't lie to me again?!"

"You don't trust me anymore?" Spike asked sadly.

"Not at the moment." Twilight explained "Maybe I should have Owlowiscious keep an eye on you from now, at least until you can prove to me that you've learned your lesson!"

At the mentioning of Owlowiscious, Spike snapped. "That is it! I have had with that owl!" he shouted.

"Spike, keep your voice down." Twilight said calmly.

"Why do you care?!" Spike complained "All you care about is that stupid owl! 'Owlowiscious did this.' 'Owlowiscious did that.' 'Owlowiscious already took care of that for me.' 'Owlowiscious is so helpful.' That's all I ever hear anymore! I'm sick of it!"

"You know that's not true Spike. How many times do I have to tell you that Owlowiscious isn't trying to take your place?" Twilight asked.

"Well apparently, he didn't get the message!" Spike said crossly "But it's not like it really matters, you just love having someone who you can boss around and tell what to do! First you did it with me, and now you're doing it with him."

"Spike, you know that I care about you." Twilight replied.

"Then why don't I believe you?!" Spike asked, folding his arms across his chest "Maybe it's because ever since that stupid Owlowiscious moved in, you've only cared about him! You claim that you care about me, but in reality you couldn't care less what I do. All that matters is who you can assert your authority over."

"Spike, if I did anything to upset you I'm sorry." Twilight apologized.

"Oh, now you're saying you're sorry? Well, sorry doesn't cut it!" Spike snorted.

"Spike please, I don't want to argue with you." Twilight insisted.

"Well it's too late for that! You just don't want me to pack up and run away because you want me to remain your servant." Spike replied, turning his head away "But I've already made up my mind. I'm gonna move in with somepony who actually appreciates me, and actually takes the time to thank me when I do her favors. I'm sure Rarity would love to have me as her new assistant."

"Spike, whatever has caused this disagreement, it doesn't have to end like this." Twilight pleaded "We can still work this out."

"What part of 'it's too late for that' don't you understand?" Spike said, refusing to turn his head around "My decision has been made, and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

Twilight began to panic. "What do I do? I can't lose him! I have to show him how much he really means to me, but how?!" she thought to herself. And then, an idea came to her.

Just as Spike was about to head up to his room and pack his things, he suddenly felt himself being embraced in a hug by Twilight. It felt surprisingly warm and comforting. Maybe, he'd been wrong. Perhaps, he had overreacted to the situation and lashed out. "No! I can't think like that! That's just what she wants me to believe!" he thought to himself.

"Look Spike, I know you're upset but you don't have to run away to prove a point." Twilight said softly, refusing to end the embrace "I care about you more than you realize. You're more than just my number one assistant."

"You're just saying that." Spike replied. But part of him was starting to believe that Twilight was being sincere.

"You're like a son to me Spike, always have and always will be." Twilight confessed "Ever since that fateful day when I hatched you, I knew you would be a part of my life. I'm sorry if I don't always show it, sometimes I get so wrapped up in my studies that I fail to notice how I'm treating you. That is wrong, I know that now more than ever."

"Are you saying, what I think you're saying?" Spike asked Twilight.

"I love you Spike, I love you like a mother loves her son." Twilight admitted, tears began to work their way down her cheeks "That's something that will never change, no matter what. Sometimes, you can make it hard to love you. But no matter what, you will always hold a special place in my heart. No one could ever replace you, even when you're being a jealous numbskull."

There was a long silence that followed Twilight's statement. Spike said nothing, he just sat there, taking in all the information he'd just recieved. Was it true? Did Twilight really mean all those things? Could he trust her?

Just as Twilight was about to leave, Spike called out "Wait, don't go."

"What is it Spike?" Twilight asked.

"I'm sorry." Spike apologized "I never should've been jealous of Owlowiscious. And I shouldn't have said what I did."

"I'm sorry too Spike. I should've been more sensitive." Twilight replied.

"But if you loved me so much, why did you make Owlowiscious a junior assistant without asking me how I felt?" Spike asked.

"That was a mistake, I should've taken your feelings into account." Twilight apologized, sighing "I got Owlowiscious so that you wouldn't have to constantly wear yourself out trying to help me. I thought you would appreciate having more free time."

"Well, why didn't you just tell me that in the first place?" Spike asked "We could've avoided the whole problem if you'd just told me."

"I thought you knew." Twilight admitted "I really should've double checked and made sure, but I was so observed in my studies that I thought I'd already told you. I know that doesn't make up for it, but I want you to know I didn't leave that fact out on purpose. So, despite all of what I didn't do, do you still forgive me?"

"What?" Spike asked.

"Do you forgive me?" Twilight repeated "I'll understand if you say no, I was a terrible mother."

"Don't you dare say that!" Spike said seriously "You're the best mother I could've asked for. Sure, you're not always perfect. But you've been there for me since day one. So, of course I forgive you. This whole mess was my fault, I should've told you how I was feeling much sooner. Instead, I kept it all inside, and I said things I wouldn't have said otherwise."

"We both said and did things we regret Spike." Twilight replied, embracing Spike in another hug "But I meant every last word when I said you were like a son to me."

"So, is it okay if I call you 'Mom'?" Spike asked, unable to keep himself from blushing.

"Of course Spike." Twilight smiled, kissing him on the forehead "That's my way of saying 'I'll always love you, no matter what'."

Owlowiscious had been watching the entire scene from his perch. It warmed his heart to see his owner and his best friend patching things up and sorting out their feelings for each other. "Hoo hoo!" he hooted happily.

"Owlowiscious, I'm sorry I got jealous of you. I should've known from the start that you weren't trying to steal my job." Spike apologized "Do you forgive me?"

"Hoo!" Owlowiscious said seriously.

"What?! Really?!" Spike asked.

"Hoo hoo!" Owlowiscious replied, Spike quickly figured out what he was trying to say.

"Oh. Well, I'm glad you forgive me." Spike said, letting out a sigh of relief "Don't scare me like that. You really had me going there for a moment."

"Hoo." Owlowiscious hooted, chuckling slightly.

"You know what Spike?" Twilight asked.

"What?" Spike replied.

"I think we both learned a very important lesson about friendship. And I'm sure Princess Celestia would be very happy to hear about it." Twilight explained "Why don't we write our letter to her, together?"

"You really think so?" Spike asked.

"Of course I do." Twilight nodded "Come on, let's get a scroll, some ink, and a quill."

A short time later, Spike and Twilight were busy writing their letter to Princess Celestia. When they had finished, the letter read as follows:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Sometimes, you may start to feel angry, or sad, or upset. And when that happens, you may not always know what to do.

It's important to remember that whenever something is troubling you, you don't have to keep it to yourself. You should tell someone you know you can trust what's bothering you, so they can help you.

Keeping everything bottled up inside won't help, it'll only make you feel worse. And when you eventually let everything out, you might say or do something that you normally wouldn't do. And then you'll feel really guilty.

In addition, there may be times when you feel like you're being taken for granted in some way, shape, or form.

If you feel like that's the case, you should speak up for yourself. Tell the one who's taking you for granted how you feel, and tell them why you don't like them treating you in that way. Chances are, a good friend will realize their mistake and apologize.

But most importantly, it's best not to jump to conclusions and assume things when you don't know the whole story. If you do, you're likely to make yourself look bad and accuse someone of being something they're not.

Or worse, you may get the wrong idea and try to make that someone look bad.

A good friend can come in many ways, shapes, or forms. But what seperates a good friend from a bad friend, is how they own up to their mistakes. A good friend will learn from his or her mistakes, while a bad friend will act like they've done nothing wrong.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle (and Spike, her number one assistant/son)

"Say Spike, how about I give you the day off from your duties tomorrow?" Twilight offered, after the letter had been sent "I'll spend time with you, doing whatever you want to do."

"Really?! You'd do that for me?!" Spike asked, deeply shocked.

"Of course I would Spike, it's the least I can do to make up for all those times I haven't treated you right." Twilight explained. "In fact, tomorrow I'll make breakfast for you. Would you like that?"

"That would be lovely!" Spike said happily "Thank you so much, mom."

"You're welcome Spike." Twilight smiled, and she and Spike hugged once again.

Author's Note:

And so, we have come to the second rewrite. And the last Season 1 episode to be rewritten in this installment, now it's on to Season 2.

This also marks the start of the unholy trilogoy of Spike episodes, and the three staring him that most often end up on many people's worst episode lists.

This episode suffered from several problems, none the least of which was making Owlowiscious a Gary Stu, and turning the entire universe against Spike (and thinking it was justified). There's also a redundant scene that makes the mane six's affections look really petty (which is thankfully written out here), and Twilight flat out ignoring Spike even when he's clearly just trying to help.

Because of how bad this episode turned out in the show, it has tainted other Spike episodes by making his relationship with Twilight seem abusive. I know it wasn't intentional, but the implications are still there. Thankfully, those implications are removed in this rewrite.

Episodes to be rewritten:
The Show Stoppers
Owl's Well That Ends Well
Dragon Quest
Spike at Your Service
Just for Sidekicks
Games Ponies Play
Bats!
Rainbow Falls
Three's A Crowd
Filli Vanilli
Somepony to Watch Over Me

Previously rewritten episodes:
Boast Busters
Look Before You Sleep
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Green Isn't Your Color
Over A Barrel
Luna Eclipsed
The Cutie Pox
Hearth's Warming Eve
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
It's About Time
One Bad Apple
The Show Stoppers