• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 8,505 Views, 156 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 2 - SuperPinkBrony12



The second installment of a What If series, that involves the rewriting of episodes from Seasons 1-4 (Warning!: The rewritten episodes are the result of my personal opinion.)

  • ...
12
 156
 8,505

S4 E10: Rainbow Falls (What If?)

On a stretch of grass just outside Ponyville, Rainbow Dash was holding an important meeting for the Ponyville Aerial Relay team. The Equestria Games were months away, but the qualifiers were scheduled to begin very soon. Anticipation was running high. "Alright, ponies, listen up!" Rainbow Dash said, barking out orders "I called you here today for a very important reason, so pay attention!"

"We're all ears Rainbow Dash." Fluttershy smiled "Right, Bulk Biceps?"

Bulk Biceps was momentarily distracted kissing his own hooves. "Nuh-uh! I'm all muscles! Yeah!" he shouted at the top of his lungs, showing off his strength with no trouble.

"I like your attitude, Bulk Biceps." Rainbow Dash said eagerly "But it's gonna take more than muscles and Yeah!s to get us to the Equestria Games! Remember, we are the Aerial Relay team, and it's up to the three of us to make sure that we qualify at the tryouts. I'm not gonna lie, the competition will be tough. But I chose you both specifically because I'm confident that with your skills, and mine, we can make it to the games! And do I need to remind you how much I - I mean, Ponyville, heh – wants to qualify and make it to the Games?"

"I remember." Fluttershy nodded " I really, really, really want to qualify for you and Ponyville. I won't disappoint you."

"Bring it on! I'm not afraid!" Bulk Biceps bellowed "With your speed, Fluttershy's determination, and my strength, we can't lose!"

"Gimme a 'P' for 'Ponyville'!" Pinkie Pie shouted. She was dressed up in a cheerleader outfit and was embracing the role wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, she was a bit too loud, causing Fluttershy to yelp and cover her ears. Picking up a megaphone, Pinkie Pie shouted "P, Ponyville!"

"'P' for 'Ponyville!'" Bulk Biceps chimed in.

"Oh, thanks, Pinkie Pie." Fluttershy said kindly " That was a scary- I mean, great cheer."

"Not bad Pinkie Pie, just make sure you have one ready for when we qualify for the Aerial Relay." Rainbow Dash instructed.

"And after that, for when we win gold medals in the Equestria Games!" Bulk Biceps said confidently "The rest of Equestria doesn't stand a chance against the three of us!"

"Not so fast!" Applejack called, walking over to the athletes with a wagon of baked goods "If you're gonna be good, you're gonna be better with some of my apple brown bettys in ya. They're perfect. And I should know, I made 'em myself."

"'P' is for 'perfect'!" Pinkie Pie chimed in, as Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy helped themselves to some of the apple brown bettys. Rainbow Dash had already eaten, so she had none.

Once Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy had finished eating, it was for the training to begin. "Alright, team! Show me what you got!" Rainbow Dash said to Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy. The two pegasi quickly into the proper pre flight position. Rainbow Dash smiled "Put some bend into those knees! Flap those wings! And I want to see all four hooves off the ground on the count of three!" she paused for a second, before quickly shouting out "One two three!"

Both Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy began to flap their wings as hard as they could. They were making good progress, but Rainbow Dash could see they were trying too hard. Bulk Biceps in particular was clearly straining himself in order to fly higher than he normally could. "Hey, Bulk Biceps! Don't forget to breath while you're up there!" Rainbow Dash warned.

Bulk Biceps relaxed his breathing a bit, but he'd already pushed himself too hard. He grabbed hold of Fluttershy, who yelped as Bulk Biceps' weight pulled the both of them down to the ground. They landed on top of Rainbow Dash with a thud.

"'P' is for, uhh... 'pain'?" Pinkie Pie said nervously.

Rainbow Dash just sighed "Looks like I've still got some work to do." she thought to herself.

The next day, it was off to Rainbow Falls, where the qualifiers for many of the events in the Equestria games would take place. Anticipation and excitement were everywhere.

"Good luck, Rainbow Dash!" Helia called, as she and Thunderlane (who was her teammate) passed by "Are you sure you don't need either of us on the Aerial Relay team? I'm sure Bulk Biceps or Fluttershy would do just as well on the Air Sprinters team."

"Don't forget, the rules say we can only compete in one event." Thunderlane added.

"I know that." Rainbow Dash replied "But trust me, I know what I'm doing. Bulk Biceps is going to help us outpace the competition, and Fluttershy's flying skills have improved leaps and bonds ever since that temporary bat transformation a few weeks ago. Add in my impressive flying speed, and we're a sure bet to qualify."

"Suit yourself." Helia said kindly "But if you change your mind before the qualifier begins, just let us know. Come on Thunderlane, the captain's gonna start wondering where we are if we don't get a move on."

"See you later Rainbow Dash." Thunderlane called, as he and Helia headed for another train car.

"Best of luck to you both!" Twilight called back, then she turned to Rainbow Dash "You know, they have a point. It's not too late to change your mind if you really want to. This isn't just your glory you're fighting for out there."

"I know that Twilight." Rainbow Dash replied confidently "But I know what I'm doing. I wasn't kidding when I said Fluttershy's flying skills have gotten better, but they've been improving ever since she overcame her self doubts. You saw it yourself how she pushed herself to be better."

"That's true, but Bulk Biceps isn't exactly a speedy flyer like you." Twilight went on "Are you sure he won't slow you down too much?"

"I put him on the team for a reason, Twilight." Rainbow Dash explained "I didn't tell Helia and Thunderlane, because I don't want word to spread, but Bulk Biceps was chosen for his endurance. Pretty much every Aerial Relay team always leads off with the fastest flyer, and many of them often exhaust themselves so much that they start to slow down half way through. That's what I'm counting on."

"I see." Twilight replied softly "When everyone else is worn out, Bulk Biceps will be able to overtake them and put Ponyville in the lead. Very smart thinking."

"That's why I'm going last." Rainbow Dash said confidently "My speed can easily help us close the gap if we need to, and if we're still in the lead my speed will ensure we win. It's not quite foolproof, but it should work."

"Ponyville is very lucky to have you." Twilight commented "Not just anypony could've come up with such a killer strategy. You've really thought this one through."

"What can I say? The Wonderbolts Academy changed me for the better." Rainbow Dash replied.

"I am so proud to be representing Ponyville." Fluttershy spoke up, waving the Ponyville team flag "Oh, it's such an honor to even try out for the Games. I just hope I don't let anypony down."

"You've got nothing to worry about Fluttershy." Bulk Biceps said kindly "Just wait, we'll make them proud!"

"Couldn't have put it better myself." Rainbow Dash smiled.

"'P' is for 'proud'!" Pinkie Pie cheered "It's too bad Applejack and Rarity couldn't come, I'll have to send them a postcard so they don't feel left out. In the meantime, I'm gonna be the best cheerleader anypony has ever seen!"

"That's the spirit!" Rainbow Dash replied "With a positive attitude like that, nothing can stand in our way!"

When the train arrived at its destination, everyone aboard disembarked. Rainbow Falls was a beautiful place, and it was easy to see how it got its name. The namesake falls in the background complimented the various small buildings quite nicely.

Before long, the air was filled with the sound of athletes and non athletes talking, chattering, and groaning.

"There's Rainbow Dash! She's an awesome flyer!" a pegasus pony shouted in the distance.

"They say she's assembled the best Aerial Relay team in Ponyville history." another pegasus pony commented "Everypony else is gonna have to be way ahead to beat her!"

"It doesn't get any better then this." Rainbow Dash said happily, as she observed the competition "These will be some fine opponents."

"Do you think we can handle them?" Fluttershy asked nervously.

"What if one of the other countries has a better team than the three of us put together?" Bulk Biceps added "What do we do then?"

"We'll just have to manage as best we can." Rainbow Dash replied "Don't worry, at this point we're going to win for sure!"

"Ha, don't make me laugh." a condescending and jerkish voice called out "The three of you couldn't fly your way out of a wet paper bag."

"A voice that obnoxious and stuck up could only belong to one pony." Rainbow Dash thought to herself.

"Hello Rainbow Dash, did you miss me?" greeted a pegasus mare. Her green coat and yellow locks were all too familiar to Rainbow Dash.

"Lightning Dust!" Rainbow Dash hissed "What are you doing here?!"

"Isn't it obvious?" Lightning Dust replied "I'm flying for Cloudsdale on the Aerial Relay team. And with me as your enemy, you can kiss your dreams of qualifying goodbye!"

"You and what army?!" Rainbow Dash taunted "Last time I checked, you got kicked out of The Wonderbolt Academy for your behavior. Just who in their right mind would team up with you?"

"Oh, you'd be pretty surprised at the help you can find in a place like Cloudsdale." Lightning Dust smirked, and whistled. A second later, a pegasus stallion and mare showed up.

The stallion was huge, though he only came up to the same height as Bulk Biceps. His dark blue coat and mohawk like black and mane tail contrasted quite heavily with the light of the day. His cutie mark was a wind gust.

The mare, on the other hoof, was more average height. She had a pink coat, with a blueish-green mane and tail styled neatly to match it. Her cutie mark was a trio of snowflakes.

"Meet Jet Stream, and Alberta Clipper." Lightning Dust said with a fiendish smile "The two of them were all too happy to join when they found out we all had something in common."

"We're all pegasi that those so called 'Wonderbolts' passed up, or kicked out of their ranks." Jet Stream began.

"So we pulled a few strings, and got to fly for Cloudsdale's Aerial Relay Team." Alberta Clipper finished.

"Consider this my way of saying 'thank you', for crushing my dreams with your goody two horseshoes mentality." Lightning Dust said crossly.

"Don't blame it on me! You're the one who created a tornado that almost got my friends killed! There's a difference between pushing yourself to your limits, and being reckless!" Rainbow Dash snapped.

"Big words coming from a mare like yourself." Lightning Dust smirked "But I suppose it won't make a difference in the end. With these guys on my team, Ponyville doesn't stand a chance!"

"We're not afraid of you!" Fluttershy said seriously.

"Bullies like you always lose in the end!" Bulk Biceps snorted.

"What heroic nonsense." Jet Stream said crossly.

"The only reason Rainbow Dash even chose you two, was because she knew you were the only ones who wouldn't question her authority." Alberta Clipper added.

"Liar!" Bulk Biceps shouted.

"Rainbow Dash would never do such a thing." Fluttershy defended "You don't know her like we do."

"As I thought, your so called 'friends' believe everything you tell them." Lightning Dust said to Rainbow Dash "And yet, somehow, you still think you're Wonderbolt material."

The Wonderbolt comment alone was enough to make Rainbow Dash furious, but what really got to her was Lightning Dust's verbal assault on her friends. "Back off Lightning Dust! Don't drag my friends into this!" Rainbow Dash said angrily "They didn't do anything to you, so leave them out of it! It's me you want!"

Lightning Dust merely said in reply "It's just as I thought all along. You're weak Rainbow Dash, and you wanna know why?"

"No." Rainbow Dash snorted.

"It's because of your loyalty to your pathetic friends." Lightning Dust explained "When are you ever going to learn? In life, the only pony you can ever count on is yourself. Others just drag you down and hold you back. Do you really think they'll just up and let you leave them when you become a Wonderbolt?"

"If and when that decision has to be made, I will make my choice, and my friends will respect it." Rainbow Dash replied "They have dreams as well, and even if those dreams someday take them far away from me, I'll still support them."

"You just don't get, do you?" Lightning Dust asked crossly "Your friends are keeping you from realizing your full potential. But, I guess I should've expected that from you, Rainbow Crash!"

As soon as those words escaped Lightning Dust's lips, Rainbow Dash's attitude changed from one of annoyance, to one of outright anger. It took everything Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy had to restrain her. "Let me go! I'll make her pay!" Rainbow Dash shouted, flailing around in a vain attempt to break free.

"No, Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy scolded "Let it go!"

"She's not worth it!" Bulk Biceps added.

"I don't care! She's crossed the line, and I'm just the pony to teach her a lesson!" Rainbow Dash replied, finally breaking free from the grasp of her teammates.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I touch a nerve?" Lightning Dust asked sarcastically, her face displaying the most fiendish smirk possible.

"You just keep smiling while you still can!" Rainbow Dash shouted at the top of her lungs.

But before Rainbow Dash could go through with her threat, a loud whistling sound pierced the air. Everypony looked around for the source, and when they found it, they all gasped. There stood Spitfire, looking rather unhappy with what she saw. "Alright, that's enough out of the both of you." she said sternly, a whistle hanging around her neck "You all know the rules! Any teams caught picking fights will be disqualified. No exceptions!"

"Spitfire, why are you granting Lightning Dust so much slack? You of all ponies know how dangerous she is!" Rainbow Dash said crossly.

"Don't listen to her lies like you did last time, Spitfire!" Lightning Dust replied "The only pony's who a danger around here is Rainbow Dash."

"The way I see, you're both in the same boat right about now." Spitfire scolded "The other Wonderbolts and I were called here to serve as judges for the competetion, and we take our job as judges seriously. I'm not going to play favorites, regardless of what's happened in the past. Rainbow Dash, I have to give Lightning Dust a chance, so far she hasn't broken any rules. As for you Lightning Dust, don't think you're off the hook, you have no right to bully other teams. I've got my eye on the both of you, so if you cause any trouble I'll know about it."

"But-" Rainbow Dash spoke up.

"But-" Lightning Dust added.

"I don't care who said what!" Spitfire snapped "You're both fully grown mares, so it's time you started acting like them! If Fleetfoot, Soarin, or I, catch you fighting or breaking the rules, we will have you disqualified from competing! Do I make myself clear?!"

Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust both gulped "Yes ma'am." they replied fearfully.

"Good." Spitfire said with a smile "Save the trash talk for the games, where it belongs. In the meantime, just mind your own business and stay out of trouble. Now, if there are no more 'disturbances' I think I'll be on my way. Remember my warning though, because I won't repeat myself if you get caught." And with that, Spitfire flew off.

For a moment, nopony dared to say anthing after Spitfire had left. Both Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust seemed content to just gaze grimly at one another, as if hoping to bait the other into attacking. Jet Stream and Alberta Clipper, as well as Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy, exchanged looks of worry. None of them wanted to be disqualified because their team leader picked a fight.

At last, the silence was broken as Lightning Dust spoke up. "As much as I would love to wipe that smug look of yours off your face, I can't risk getting disqualified. Consider yourself lucky. Come on guys, let's go." And with that, Lightning Dust, Alberta Clipper, and Jet Stream flew away.

"This isn't over Lightning Dust, not by a long shot!" Rainbow Dash shouted, then she turned to her teammates "Well, things just got a bit more complicated. I don't know much about Jet Stream or Alberta Clipper, but Lightning Dust means trouble."

"You don't think she'll try to sabotage our chances of winning, do you?" Fluttershy asked nervously.

"She'll never break our team!" Bulk Biceps said crossly "We're going all the way!"

"Bulk Biceps is right!" Rainbow Dash replied confidently "Lightning Dust and her partners will be no match for us, as long as we stay one step ahead of them and don't fall for any of their tricks! Now let's get to practice! Don't forget, we need to be one of the teams that crosses the finish line within the time limit. There's only room for up to five teams, so we've got to make sure we're one of them!"

Practice itself was a relatively uneventful time, at least for Ponyville. Each team was allotted a small amount of time (usually about ten to fifthteen minutes) at alternating points every other hour, to get in shape and warm up for the qualifier.

"Okay Bulk Biceps, you're up first. Let's see those skills of yours" Rainbow Dash coached.

"Yeah!" Bulk Biceps shouted, as he briefly flexed his muscles before taking off into the air. The Aerial Relay course consisted of a serious of different colored hoops, and the objective was to fly through the hoops as fast as you could. Failing to pass through a hoop would result in a penalty of ten seconds, that would be added to the final time.

Bulk Biceps found navigating through the hoops to be a bit challenging due to his massive size. Several times, he very nearly got stuck. "This ain't as easy as it looked." he said nervously to himself, as he slid through the final hoop.

"Okay Fluttershy, get ready to take the horseshoe from Bulk!" Rainbow Dash instructed "I'll be waiting for you when you pass through your hoops. Remember, the more hoops you miss, the bigger the penalty for our team."

"Oh goodness." Fluttershy said nervously, just as Bulk Biceps passed the horseshoe to her. Fluttershy took off as best she could, but she had to slow herself down a little as she approached the hoops. "Oh, I hope I don't mess this up." she said to herself, as she began to fly through the hoops.

In a matter of seconds, Fluttershy had cleared the hoops, and hoofed the horseshoe to Rainbow Dash. With her speed and precision, Rainbow Dash had no problem crossing the makeshift finish line in under thirty seconds. "Two minutes exactly." Rainbow Dash announced, when she checked the results with Twilight. "With a little bit of effort, we could probably knock it down to a minute and a half."

"With a time like that, the others will have it rough!" Bulk Biceps said confidently "Yeah!"

"Hooray!" Pinkie Pie cheered, blowing a party hooter "Keep this up, and you're sure to win."

A short time later, Ponyville's time was up. Now the Cloudsdale team had the practice field, and it was obvious that the Cloudsdale team had a big spectacle behind it. "Give us some clouds! Give us some dale! And what do you get? Cloudsdale! Woo-hoo!" two twin pegasi cheered, shaking their pompoms all around.

Pinkie Pie gasped "Where can I get pompoms like those?!" she asked.

"We'll worry about that later Pinkie." Rainbow Dash commented "For now, I think we'd better stick around and see just how good Jet Stream and Alberta Clipper are."

Lightning Dust seemed pretty unconcerned with any sort of routine. "There's no point in putting on a show and letting everyone here see what we can do." she said to her teammates "Just practice on your own for all I care. I'm gonna save my strength for when it really matters, this practice session is a waste of my time and efforts."

"You sure about this captain?" Alberta Clipper asked.

"Shouldn't we be making sure we know our routine when the qualifier takes place?" Jet Stream added.

"If you two dunderheads wanna waste all your time revealing our strengths and weaknesses to the competition, be my guest." Lightning Dust replied "I could always find two other pegasi to take to the Equestria Games with me."

Alberta Clipper and Jet Stream's moods quickly seemed to changed after that last bit. "We were only asking a question, captain." Jet Stream said nervously.

"And I told you what my answer is!" Lightning Dust hissed "Now quit your stalling and get out there! Or would you rather let the competition have more time to practice?!"

Alberta Clipper and Jet Stream decided it was no use arguing with their captain, and so they reluctantly set to work on practicing. Jet Stream, despite his size, proved to be incredibly fast, and Lightning Dust seemed rather impressed by what he could do.

Alberta Clipper, on the other hoof, seemed to be having difficulty just staying in the air. "Oops." she said, as she accidentally knocked over a hoop.

Lightning Dust didn't seem to care that Alberta Clipper was clearly struggling. "Alberta! Quit fooling around up there and pick up the pace! You're better than this!" she shouted angrily.

"You're pushing her too hard, captain. You gotta cut her some slack." Jet Stream spoke up.

"I'm sorry, I don't recall asking for your opinion, Jet!" Lightning Dust snapped, and turned her attention back to Alberta Clipper "Come on Alberta! Put your back into it, or you're off the team!"

"I'm trying." Alberta replied, knocking over more hoops. Then there was trouble. Somehow, while passing through one of the hoops, one of Alberta Clipper's wings got snagged on the outside. When it finally broke free, the resulting force sent Alberta Clipper spiraling out of control. "Aaaaah! Somepony help me!" she screamed, as she plummeted toward the ground.

"Stand back everypony, I got this!" Rainbow Dash shouted, and quickly took off. In a matter of seconds, she managed to catch Alberta Clipper, and bring her safely down. Everyone present cheered.

"Awe-some!" Jet Stream exclaimed.

"As good as any Wonderbolt." Lightning Dust muttered under her breath, and began to make a plan. If all went well, Rainbow Dash would be out of her hair.

"Thank you for saving me." Alberta Clipper said to Rainbow Dash "I don't know why you bothered though, we're on opposite teams."

"We may be on opposite teams, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna just sit idly by and let something bad happen to you." Rainbow Dash replied "No one deserves to crash to the ground, no matter who they might be."

"Well, thanks again." Alberta Clipper replied "I'd better get back to practicing before Lightning Dust yacks my ear off." But just then, Alberta Clipper winced, and collapsed onto the ground. Gasps of worry filled the air.

"Are you okay?" Fluttershy asked nervously.

"My wing, I think I sprained it." Alberta Clipper groaned "It hurts like crazy."

Jet Stream quickly raced over to his injured teammate. "Somepony get an ambulance over here, now!" he shouted.

"Leave it to me!" Twilight said seriously, and flew off to find someone who could help. She returned a short time later with a pair of earth ponies in white uniforms pulling a stretcher.

"Where does it hurt ma'am?" one of the earth ponies asked, as he helped load Alberta Clipper onto the stretcher.

"My right wing." Alberta Clipper groaned.

"Just stay calm ma'am, we're gonna get to you to the hospital and have your wing looked at." the other earth pony replied "You'll feel better in no time." And once Alberta Clipper was safely onboard, the pair of earth ponies took off.

"What an unfortunate turn of events." Twilight spoke up, once the ambulance had left.

"I sure hope she recovers soon." Fluttershy said kindly.

"A sprained wing can take a long time to heal Fluttershy." Rainbow Dash replied "You remember how long my wing was sore the last time I broke it. It took weeks before I could even think of flying again."

"Oh, right." Fluttershy said, suddenly feeling a bit embarassed at having forgotten that.

"I feel pretty bad for Cloudsdale though." Rainbow Dash went on "With Alberta Clipper's injury, she's likely not going to recover prior to the qualifier."

"So that means, Cloudsdale won't be able to compete in the games?" Bulk Biceps realized.

"Not unless they find a replacement for Alberta Clipper in two days time." Rainbow Dash replied "And somehow, I don't think Lightning Dust counted on one of her teammates getting injured."

But as it turned out, that wasn't a problem for Lightning Dust at all. She had made a plan.

"Captain, what are we gonna do?" Jet Stram asked nervously.

"Just relax, Jet Stream. Everything is under control." Lightning Dust replied calmly, as if completely unphased by what had just happened to Alberta Clipper.

"But Alberta Clipper's out, and we're down a teammate as a result!" Jet Stream said frantically "If we don't find somepony to take her place, we'll be disqualified for sure!"

"Calm down Jet Stream, and keep your voice down." Lightning Dust scolded "Do you think I'm unaware of the situation? Alberta Clipper's accident is going to play right into our hooves. And if all goes well, when the qualifier comes, we won't have to worry about Ponyville."

"What are you talking about?" Jet Stream asked.

"Just follow my lead." Lightning Dust instructed, and she made her way over to Rainbow Dash. "Hey, Rainbow Dash. There's something we need to discuss, alone!"

"What do you want from me, Lightning Dust?!" Rainbow Dash asked, as Lightning Dust led her to a place far away from the hustle and bustle of the teams practicing.

"I just wanted to say, thanks. You know, for saving my teammate from a nasty fall." Lightning Dust replied, sounding surprisingly nice about it.

"Well, it was nothing." Rainbow Dash boasted "But that's not the real reason you led me here, or is it?"

"You catch on pretty fast, Rainbow Dash. You know me all too well." Lightning Dust said, a seemingly sincere smile forming on her face. "You know, you technically grew up in Cloudsdale. Or am I mistaken?"

"Of course I grew up in Cloudsdale!" Rainbow Dash replied eagerly "Where are you going with all of this?"

"Well, seeing as Alberta Clipper's not likely to get better anytime soon, why don't you fly with the Cloudsdale team?" Lightning Dust offered "After all, you wouldn't want to see your hometown be unfairly left out of the Equestria Games, just because somepony got hurt. Am I right?"

"I don't know about that, Lightning Dust." Rainbow Dash replied nervously "I mean, what would my teammates think of me if they saw me with the enemy?"

"Whoever says they have to know?" Lightning Dust explained "For now, you can just train with us. And the whole thing will stay our little secret. Then you can see for yourself if you like being on the Cloudsdale team."

"But won't my teammates become suspicious if they spot me training with Cloudsdale?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"You can easily just tell them to head back and rest up, saying that you'll stay to watch the competetion." Lightning Dust instructed "So, what'll it be? Do you accept my offer, or are you going to turn your back on the town you grew up in? The choice is up to you."

Rainbow Dash didn't know what to do. Cloudsdale had been her hometown for a long time, and it had been years since they'd won the Equestria Games. This was her chance to bring back the glory that had always been just out of grasp for Cloudsdale.

But on the other hoof, Ponyville had never even been able to qualify for the Equestria Games until recently. This was the town's first real shot at going all the way, and both Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps had been training their hardest to make it happen.

No matter who she sided with, Rainbow Dash couldn't help both teams. So the choice was, should she abandon Ponyville and fly for the town that she'd grown up in? Or, should she turn her back on Cloudsdale, and help Ponyville?

"Darn it all! Why is this so complicated?!" Rainbow Dash thought to herself "I've always prided myself on being able to make the right choice when it counts. Why does this have to be such a hard choice to make?! Maybe Twilight will be able to help me figure this out." And with that, she took off to find Twilight.

Twilight was quite surprised when Rainbow Dash came to see her, telling her that she needed some advice. But Twilight hadn't become the princess of friendship by ignoring the request of a friend in need. And so, she agreed to listen to Rainbow Dash's predicament.

"Now then, Rainbow Dash, tell what the problem is." Twilight said kindly.

Rainbow Dash sighed, and explained "Lightning Dust wants me to fly for the Cloudsdale team in place of the injured Alberta Clipper. The only catch is, if I do that I won't be able to fly for the Ponyville team."

"Well, all you have to do is ask yourself what team you want to help." Twilight replied.

"That's the problem, I want to help them both!" Rainbow Dash told Twilight.

"But you can't." Twilight said seriously.

"And that's why I was hoping you could help me." Rainbow Dash went on "I need to know, what team should I help?"

"Well, if you fly for Cloudsdale, Pinkie Pie won't have anypony to cheer for." Twilight said glumly.

"I see." Rainbow Dash replied.

"That's not all." Twilight added "Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps came here for you! They want to qualify just as much as you do, and if you fly for Cloudsdale, you'll be turning your backs on them! Not to mention, it'll make coming here pointless!"

"But what about Cloudsdale?" Rainbow Dash asked "If I don't fly with them, they won't qualify, and it'll be my fault."

"Rainbow Dash, I know how important Cloudsdale is to you." Twilight said firmly "But what happened to Alberta Clipper was a freak accident that could've happened to anypony. You know that."

"Oh, but I really wanna fly with the best team! What would you do?" Rainbow Dash asked Twilight.

"I'm afraid I can't help you there Rainbow Dash." Twilight admitted glumly "I've never been in such a situation. I think this is a decision you have to make on your own. The race is tomorrow, so you'd better make it soon."

For the rest of the day, nothing more was said on the decision. Rainbow Dash thought over every single choice in her head, trying to decide for herself which team she wanted to help. She spent the remaining training sessions alternating back and forth between training with Ponyville, and training with Cloudsdale. Both teams seemed evenly matched. It just wasn't fair.

"If only I could find a way to help them both." Rainbow Dash thought sadly to herself.

The next morning, shortly before the qualifier, Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps were surprised when they arrived at the starting line before Rainbow Dash. In fact, Rainbow Dash was nowhere to be seen at all, and the qualifier was due to begin in a few hours.

"Where could Rainbow Dash be?" Fluttershy asked Bulk Biceps "It's not like her to be this late."

"Do you think something happened to her?" Bulk Biceps asked Fluttershy.

"I don't know. I sure hope not." Fluttershy replied.

"Knowing your 'friend', she probably realized she couldn't help a bunch of second rate flyers, and flew back home to save herself the embarassment." Lightning Dust teased.

"Now that is just not true!" Fluttershy said crossly.

"Yeah, Rainbow Dash would never do that." Bulk Biceps added "And we're not second rate flyers!"

"We'll just see about that." Jet Stream taunted "Assuming your teammate ever has the guts to show up."

"Oh, she'll show. I'm sure of it." Pinkie Pie replied "And when she does, you'll be sorry you ever made fun of her!"

Just then, a familiar groaning filled the air. Rainbow Dash finally arrived, but something was wrong. She was in a wheelchair, and covered from head to hooves in banadages. "Woe is me! Oooh!" she complained. Everyone present in the crowd gasped, and began to chatter amongst themselves.

"What's happened?" Fluttershy asked worriedly.

"Urgh, I feel sore all over." Rainbow Dash complained " I, uh, tripped on a-a foam hoof and landed on a..." the next part was almost impossible to understand, as Rainbow Dash mubbled "pokey stick coming out of the ground."

No one took the news of Rainbow Dash's sudden "injury" as hard as Pinkie Pie. She was furious. "If I get my hooves on that" she began furiously, the next part was lost as impossible to understand giberish ", it'll be in big trouble!" she growled.

"There's no way I can fly now. I'll be lucky if I actually recover within a month." Rainbow Dash groaned "Why did this have to happen to a pony like me?"

"Oh, don't worry, Rainbow Dash." Fluttershy said kindly, as Rainbow Dash loaded onto a stretcher "I'm sure the hospital staff will take good care of you. You just rest and get your strength back. Leave the worries about qualifying to us."

A short time later, Rainbow Dash was laying in a hospital bed. She was hooked up to a machine that gave off a frequent beeping noise. It was the only sound in an otherwise silent room.

"So, the medic pony isn't sure what's wrong with you." Twilight said skeptically, she knew the truth about Rainbow Dash's injury, but had kept silent. Even so, she was anything but happy.

"Everything! Absolutely everything!" Rainbow Dash complained.

"Really? What are the odds?" Twilight asked sarcastically "You and I both know you're not actually injured."

"It's that obvious huh?" Rainbow Dash asked, Twilight nodded. "Do the others know?" Rainbow Dash asked Twilight.

"I haven't told them." Twilight replied "Just like I haven't told them about you possibily joining the Cloudsdale team. I know that sometimes, it may seem like choosing not to choose is a good decision. But in this case, it's just taking the easy way out. I would've thought this choice would be obvious, but then again I'm not you."

"This isn't making me feel any better, Twilight." Rainbow Dash said crossly.

"Well, you made your decision." Twilight said seriously "Like it or not, I'll respect it. I just hope that, you'll learn something from this experience."

Just then, the door opened, and in walked Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps. "And how is our patient doing?" Fluttershy asked kindly.

Rainbow Dash sighed "I've felt better." she replied.

"We just wanted to let you know that we're so sorry you got hurt, but you shouldn't worry a bit about not being able to be in the tryouts. We'll be alright." Fluttershy said honestly "In fact, we've even found somepony who can take your place."

"Who would that be?" Rainbow Dash asked. Her question was answered a second later, as a familiar cross eyed pegasus mare trotted into the room. Rainbow Dash recognized who it was an instant. "Why her?" she asked Fluttershy.

"She was the only pegasus available on such short notice." Bulk Biceps explained "But she's a good flyer. She said so herself."

"We're so, so sorry that you can't compete. We all know how much you love to fly." Fluttershy apologized "And we promise-"

"Cross our hearts!" Bulk Biceps said proudly.

" ...That if we qualify, and make it to the Equestria Games. You can have your medals if we win." Fluttershy went on "We know how much it would mean to you."

"Really? You'd do that for me?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Of course. That's what friends are for." Fluttershy replied sweetly.

"Oh Fluttershy, you're too kind for your own good." Rainbow Dash said honestly "I don't deserve any medals."

"Don't try to lie to make us feel better." Fluttershy replied "We'll be just fine. The medals don't matter that much to us."

"Alright everypony, that's enough. Rainbow Dash needs her rest." Nurse Redheart said sternly. Everypony present left the room, and now Rainbow Dash was all alone.

Or so she thought. "So, you're not going to be flying for either Cloudsdale or Ponyville after all. What a pity." a voice spoke up.

"Who said that?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Don't you recognize me?" the voice replied, and revealed its identity. Sitting off to the side was a pegasus stallion with a sky blue coat. His dark blue mane and tail styled very loosely, and complimented by his green eyes.

Rainbow Dash recongized at once who it was. "Soarin!" she gasped.

"The one and only." Soarin replied.

Rainbow Dash was incredibly surprised to see the Wonderbolt Co-Captain, he was suppose to be with Sptifire and Fleetfoot at the Judges Tent. "What are you doing here, Soarin?" she asked.

"Just visiting an old friend." Soarin explained, and pointed a hoof to the hospital bed next to Rainbow Dash. The mare resting there had a pink coat, and blue-ish green mane that Rainbow Dash had seen not too long ago.

"Alberta Clipper is your friend?!" Rainbow Dash gasped.

"She use to be, a long time ago." Soarin replied sadly "Back when the two of us were recruits trying out for The Wonderbolts together. Everypony said we were the best of the best, and we swore that we'd make it into The Wonderbolts together. Unfortunately, fate had different plans."

"What do you mean?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Spitfire had just became the new captain, and she pushed us to the limit." Soarin explained "I knew she'd be hard on me, despite us being childhood friends. But Alberta Clipper just couldn't keep up. When I finally joined The Wonderbolts, I felt like my dreams had finally come true. Until I learned that Alberta Cipper had given up on ever joining The Wonderbolts. And with that, we drifted apart. I never saw her again, until I learned that she would be flying for Cloudsdale in the Equestria Games. When that news reached my ears, I knew had to come down here and see her for myself. But I didn't count on our reunion being quite like this."

"So, have you been here this whole time?" Rainbow Dash asked Soarin.

Soarin sighed, and nodded "The saddest thing is, her wing isn't actually sprained. It's actually been healed already."

"But then, why is she still sitting in this hospital bed?" Rainbow Dash asked "She should be out there, flying with her teammates!"

"Unfortunately, from what she told me, Lightning Dust didn't have a use for her anymore." Soarin explained "Lightning Dust told her, that Cloudsdale was going to get somepony else to take her place."

"That somepony else was me!" Rainbow Dash realized "Uh, well, until I got hurt, that is."

"So, I guess we're all out of luck." Soarin sighed "Cloudsdale can't qualify without three fliers, and Ponyville won't qualify without you. Too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing both teams go at it."

Just then, a ray of sunlight peaked in through the window. When it shined down on the Ponyville team flag, Rainbow Dash saw it give off a rainbow colored shimmer, that was reflected in her eyes. It was then that Rainbow Dash knew what she had to do. Without wasting a second, she sprang from her bed.

Soarin was surprised "Better already huh? I guess you've suddenly changed your mind about not helping either team."

"There's no time to waste!" Rainbow Dash said seriously "We've got to get Alberta Clipper to the qualifier, now!"

At the starting line, both the Ponyville and Cloudsdale teams (as well as their supporters) were feeling pretty glum. Nopony wanted to say anything, but they all knew the truth.

The rules specifically stated that all relay teams had to consist of 3 members, no more, no less. With that rule broken, Cloudsdale would be disqualified in an instant.

Ponyville wasn't much better off unfortunately. Even though they had 3 flyers, their morale was broken due to Rainbow Dash being unable to compete. Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy were determined to do their best, but there was only so much they could do without their captain.

Then, in the distance, there came the sound of hoofbeats. Everyone turned to the source, and when they did they couldn't believe their eyes.

"Is that Rainbow Dash... walking?" Twilight asked, as three figures came into focus. One of them was quickly identified as Rainbow Dash.

"Well, what an unexpected surprise." Lightning Dust muttered "I certainly wasn't expecting you to be here."

"Does... this mean you're feeling better?" Jet Stream asked Rainbow Dash.

"I feel great, because the truth is... I was never hurt in the first place." Rainbow Dash revealed, tossing aside her fake bandages. Everypony gasped.

"I might have known you were faking your injuries." Lightning Dust said crossly.

"I faked my injury so that I wouldn't have to choose between flying for Ponyville or Cloudsdale." Rainbow Dash admitted "I wanted to fly with you both, and the decision was too hard! No matter what I picked, I'd be betraying somepony."

"Rainbow Dash, I know how much winning means to you." Fluttershy spoke up "But you really shouldn't have tried to keep this a secret from Bulk Biceps and I. Did you really think we wouldn't find out?"

"I know I was pretty stupid, to not see what should have been obvious." Rainbow Dash replied "But I know now who I should've been loyal to."

"Let me guess, you're going to side with your 'friends' and compete against me." Lightning Dust hissed.

"Actually, yes." Rainbow Dash replied "You lied to me about Alberta Clipper's injury, just so you could get me to replace her! And all under the guise that I'd be betraying my hometown! Ponyville isn't just where I live, but it's where my friends are. The ponies who really care about me, whether I can help them win a race or not."

"Is this true captain? Did you really try to get Alberta Clipper replaced?" Jet Stream asked Lightning Dust.

"Don't act like this is a surprise to you." Lightning Dust said crossly "If you really cared about Alberta, you would've checked up on her in the hospital!"

"I trusted you! I believed you when you told me her injury was too serious, and that the best thing I could do was let her rest!" Jet Stream replied furiously "You didn't just lie to Rainbow Dash, you lied to me!"

"And what did I ever do to you to deserve being cast aside?" Alberta Clipper asked angrily.

"I did what I had to do to make sure Cloudsdale would win." Lightning Dust replied "You would've done the same thing if I'd gotten injured."

"That's not true. We cared about you, and we thought the feeling was mutual." Jet Stream said crossly, barely restraining himself from attacking Lightning Dust right then and there.

"I don't believe you. After everything you two have been through, I am the first pony you were even willing to listen to." Lightning Dust defended "If it were anypony else, you wouldn't trust them at all. You saw for yourselves in the past what loyalty got you, nothing but heartbreak."

"Just because we may have shared a dislike of The Wonderbolts does not mean we didn't believe in loyalty, unlike you." Alberta Clipper hissed.

"Well, whatever. We're still on the same team, so like it or not, we're going to qualify." Lightning Dust said crossly "And if you two don't wanna help me, then that's fine by me."

"We're still going to fly for Cloudsdale." Alberta Clipper said in reply.

"But from now on, we'll be the ones calling the shots." Jet Stream finished, and with that he and Alberta Clipper walked away.

"Come on, Ponyville relay team! We've got a race to get ready for!" Rainbow Dash said, when the arguement had concluded.

"This isn't over yet, Rainbow Dash!" Lightning Dust said furiously "Wipe that smug look off your face! Just wait, you won't know what hit you!"

"Lightning Dust, whatever happened to us in the past, it doesn't have to continue to taint our interactions in the present." Rainbow Dash pleaded "If you would just give friendship a chance, I'm sure you'd understand what loyalty really means."

"Spare me your nonsense! I'll see you at the finish line, and you'll be eating my dust!" Lightning Dust boasted, and flew away.

Rainbow Dash simply shook her head "Arrogant as always." she said to herself.

The race for the qualifier started off with Ponyville and Cloudsdale clearly battling it out for first place, after lagging a bit behind at the start. Bulk Biceps and Jet Stream were neck and neck the whole way through, it was only at the end that Bulk Biceps was able to push ahead slightly and take the lead for Ponyville.

Fluttershy got off to a strong start, and made good progress, but Alberta Clipper was more than a match for her. Fluttershy tried her best, but Alberta Clipper was just too fast once she really got going. Cloudsdale overtook Ponyville for the lead, as Alberta Clipper passed the horeshoe to Lightning Dust. Fluttershy wasn't too far behind, but she was out of breath. She barely had time to catch her breath, as she passed the horeshoe to Rainbow Dash. Now, the race entered its final stretch, and the excitement and tension rose to a fever pitch.

"And Ponyville and Cloudsdale are battling it out all the way! At this point, it looks too close to call!" the announcer shouted out "Cloudsdale and Ponyville are currently tied for first place, with the competition following far behind! This could be a finish for the history books!"

"Woo-hoo! Go, Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie Pie and Twilight cheered together.

"You're the toughest opponent I've ever had the pleasure of going up against, Lightning Dust." Rainbow Dash said, as she and Lightning Dust continued to fly towards the finish line.

"You haven't beaten me yet, Rainbow Dash!" Lightning Dust replied, trying at every opportunity to gain the lead.

"Ponyville and Cloudsdale are approaching the final hoop! The finish line is just on the other side, this could be it!" the announcer shouted. Ponyville and Cloudsdale's supporters watched with interest and anxiety, in a matter of seconds a winner would be determined. The only question on their minds now was "Who will it be?"

And then, it happened. Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust were flying neck and neck, and neither was willing to give up an inch of space to the enemy. As they entered the hoop together, Lightning Dust made her move. She tried to push hard and shove Rainbow Dash aside, but she pushed too hard, and the resulting reacting force caused her wing to hit the edge of the hoop. One second, she was flying normally, and the next second she was sent into a dizzying spin.

"I don't believe what I'm seeing here folks!" the announcer exclaimed "It seems that the flyer for Cloudsdale is spiraling out of control! She's gonna crash!" Those words set off a series of horrified gasps among the audience.

Lightning Dust was spinning faster and faster with every second, unable to pull out of the spin. As the ground came into view, she shut her eyes, and waited for the horrific crash.

But then, suddenly, Lightning Dust felt herself being scooped up right in midair. When she opened her eyes and looked up, she was surprised to see that it was Rainbow Dash who had grabbed her. "What are you doing?!" Lightning Dust asked.

"Even somepony as mean as you doesn't deserve to crash to the ground!" Rainbow Dash replied "You're gonna finish that race!"

"Just let me go already, I'm your enemy!" Lightning Dust hissed.

"I'm saving your life, even after everything you've done and have tried to do!" Rainbow Dash said crossly "You should be grateful!"

"You're just doing this because you think I'll return the favor somehow!" Lightning Dust said angrily.

"And because it's the right thing to do! I NEVER turn my back on a pony in need, no matter what!" Rainbow Dash said boldly, and flew towards the finish line with all her might. She wasn't in first anymore, but she didn't care. There were more important things than winning first place.

"Wait a minute, what's this?! Ponyville and Cloudsdale are qualifying at the same time!" the announcer spoke up, sounding very shocked "The clock is ticking, there's only a few seconds left! Are they gonna make it?!"

The crowd watched with anticipation, the seconds seemed to tick by slowly. Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust were getting closer and closer, but the seconds seemed to be ticking by too fast. Was this it, were Ponyville and Cloudsdale both going to be disqualified?

At the last possible second, Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust flew across the finishing line. Lightning Dust was holding Rainbow Dash's hoof for support, but the moment she was on a cloud, she let go. Rainbow Dash, for her part, breathed a sigh of relief, and wiped the sweat from her brows. "I made it." she said in between pants.

"Ponyville and Cloudsdale qualifiy!" the race offiical announced. The supporters of both Ponyville and Cloudsdale cheered and screamed so loudly that it was almost impossible to hear anything else.

Sometime later, however, Cloudsdale was dealt a surprise ruling that nopony had suspected. The guest judges broke the news. "Upon further consideration, and in light of all the evidence presented to us, we have come to the conclusion that the Cloudsdale Captain committed illegal acts of cruelty." Spitfire announced.

"Lightning Dust not only nearly picked a fight with the captain of the Ponyville Team, Rainbow Dash, but also attempted to replace an injured teammate without permission from the Equestria Games committee, or the judges." Fleetfoot added.

"In addition, it has come to our attention that Lightning Dust and her teammates bribed members of the committee, in order to allow her team to be Cloudsdale's official representation in the games." Soarin said seriously.

"Therefore, in accordance with the rules layed out by the Equestria Games committee, and delivered with the reluctant approval of Ms. Harshwhinny, Lightning Dust, Alberta Clipper, and Jet Stream, are all officially disqualified." Spitfire declared.

Some of Cloudsdale's supporters booed, but most of them cheered at the decision. They felt Lightning Dust had given their country a bad reputation, and while they were saddened to have their country's chance at competing in the Equestria Games taken away, they would not have wanted a cheater and a ruler breaker to represent them at the games.

"However, Cloudsdale itself is not disqualified. I repeat, Cloudsdale itself is not disqualified!" Soarin spoke up.

"It has been decided, that a replacement team will be represent Cloudsdale at the official Equestria Games." Fleetfoot explained.

"At Ms. Harshwhinny's request, we ask that you put your hooves, and talons together, for Cloudsdale's new representitives in the Aerial Relay. Fleetfoot, Soarin, and I!" Spitfire announced. There was a tense silence for a moment, before everyone gathered burst into thunderous applause. The Wonderbolts would restore Cloudsdale's honor for certain, and they were fine athletes.

Once the announcement about Cloudsdale's fate had concluded, it was time for the award ceremony. All of the teams that had qualified recieved medals, based on their total final time. The Wonderbolts took the place of Lightning Dust and her teammates for Cloudsdale's Aerial Relay Team.

"Yeah!" Bulk Biceps cheered, as Ponyville's Aerial Relay team recieved its medals.

"Yeah! Woo-hoo!" Pinkie Pie and Twilight cheered.

"Equestria Games, here we come!" Twilight said proudly, as she and Pinkie Pie posed for a celebration photo with Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Bulk Biceps.

Just before it was time for Team Ponyville to board the train and head back home, Rainbow Dash was surprised to recieve a visit from Soarin. "I wanted to give you this, as a way of showing my gratitude for reuniting me with a friend I thought I'd lost for good." he said, and hoofed Rainbow Dash a badge with the Wonderbolts symbol displayed on it.

"Really Soarin, you don't have to do this." Rainbow Dash replied.

"Don't worry, I have at least a dozen more badges like this back at Wonderbolt HQ." Soarin said with a smile "But this one holds a special place in my heart. Spitfire gave it to me, after I saved her life on a mission gone wrong. She said it her way of rewarding me for my loyalty, and after that display you put on back there with Lightning Dust, I think you've earned it."

"Thank you, Soarin. I promise I'll always treasure this." Rainbow Dash said kindly.

"I know you will." Soarin replied, and smiled as Rainbow Dash boarded the train and headed back home.

Rainbow Dash was all too eager to write about her adventure in the journal, the past few days were filled with events she would never forget. The entry read as follows:

Oh, I can't deny it. I love to win! But if I ever gotta choose between winning and being loyal to my friends, I'm always gonna choose my friends. 'Cause as much as I love winning, I love them waaaaay more.

When Rainbow Dash finished writing, she headed outside to join the celebration party that Pinkie Pie had arranged. If she had turned back to look, she would've seen the badge that Soarin gave her, give off a rainbow colored shimmer.

Author's Note:

And so we come to the one Season 4 rewrite everyone's been looking forward to, and the one Season 4 episode everyone finds fault with.

The most obvious problem is this episode's lack of any sort of explanation for anything and everything it does. Nothing in the episode is explained, and makes the episode come across as blantantly contrived.

There's also the character of The Wonderbolts, who are incredibly demonized and villanized in the original episode. Not to mention, the subplots that shoehorn in Applejack and Rarity and focus on running gags that fail to entertain.

Twilight isn't potrayed the greatest here either, as she doesn't tell Rainbow Dash what the most obvious and compelling reasons should be for her to not side with Cloudsdale. And then subsequently gets mad at Rainbow Dash when she decides not to choose.

So here, while The Wonderbolts still appear, they are not the ones representing Cloudsdale. Using Lightning Dust and two OCs helps to save the character of Equestria's greatest flyers (outside of Soarin, who didn't need saving and was arguably the best thing about the episode).

In case you're wondering, "Equestria Games" isn't being rewritten, and the events in that episode still take place. The ending with The Wonderbolts replacing Lightning Dust and her teammates is helping to prevent what would otherwise be a glaring plot hole.

Of course, you didn't really think I would leave Derpy out of the episode, did you? Derpy's cameo was a nice welcome back for her, it was just unfortunate that it only added to the problems of the original episode. Not to mention, there's never a given explanation as to why Derpy wasn't considered earlier, or why she was the first one considered as a replacement for Rainbow Dash in the original episode.

"Appleloosa's Most Wanted" might be on the list for rewrites if I ever make a third installment, but it's not set in stone right now and it won't appear on this installment.

Episodes to be rewritten:
The Show Stoppers
Owl's Well That Ends Well
Dragon Quest
Spike at Your Service
Just for Sidekicks
Games Ponies Play
Bats!
Rainbow Falls
Three's A Crowd
Filli Vanilli
Somepony to Watch Over Me

Previously rewritten episodes:
Boast Busters
Look Before You Sleep
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Green Isn't Your Color
Over A Barrel
Luna Eclipsed
The Cutie Pox
Hearth's Warming Eve
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
It's About Time
One Bad Apple
The Show Stoppers
Owl's Well That Ends Well
Dragon Quest
Spike at Your Service
Just For Sidekicks
Games Ponies Play
Bats!