• Published 22nd Feb 2015
  • 376 Views, 7 Comments

In the Beginning...... - Arn



A stallion opens his eyes in Equestria. Is this a dream? Why has Celestia brought him here?Only the words from a book keep desperation at bay!

  • ...
 7
 376

Soldiering On

To the pony standing at attention came naturally.

Before, when younger, he and his brother pretended to be soldiers. It was a game of poise, who could stand the straightest, be most erect, and be the best most soldierly and most soldierly soldier, upon called to attention. They practiced at it for hours, watched many war films( Gunga Din) and parades and military men and realized the movies were wrong except for the documentaries and military channel.

One day a teacher found both boys pretending to be soldiers and told them it was wrong, bad. She then preceded to explaining all the inconceivable adult reasons, her position, and air her opinions to the minds of two children who couldn't possibly wrap there minds around such complicated reasoning.

They politely just nodded up and down.

The two brothers didn't want to offend teach; but they didn't want to affront those who had sacrificed so much of what they held dear to serve the country in its time of need.

After the teacher finished her say and left the scene on her cue to do other thingsat the school.The brothers sat dejected.

"What are we going to play now?" asked one brother.

"I know!"said the other.

"Super!"

"Cybernetic!"

"Horsey!"

"Hyper..."

"force!"

"Yay!!!!!"the yelled together in exuberance.

So the two brothers instead pretended to be intelligent horse soldiers!Cyborgs in a future war! Imagining themselves war horses, living tanks, who could understand their commanders! Standing like statues gleaming in the sun!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
“How dare you impersonate somepony important!"The Pegisus Snorted." What is your name?”his voice was like grating gravel.

“I…er…um…please…I already…trouble…SIR!”the pony said truly afraid of this alien in front of him.

“Pour him another glass of water!”growled the Pegasus.

The pony at the bar did so grinning ear to ear.

“Finish your water.” he said eye to eye nose to nose.“Did I tell you to stand down!”pressing in even closer.

The Pegisus walked around the pony looking him over.“..Up that gut! Drink!”a sharp ribbing not a hard one just to get the pony's attention. Like a kick but not really.

The pony drank.

Glass down!Did I tell you to fumble?Put it back on the counter!"

He did so in the most soldierly way he could think .

Are we nice and hydrated, hmm?”He said with a horsey grin.

“YES SIR!”

Good!"said the Pegisus. "Salute!!!

The poor pony clumsily hit his head with his hoof.

Clompf!

HAW!HAW!HAW!"the Pegisus gave a hearty if less than cheery laugh. "Much better! Still, good try!What a new recruit indeed! You have a long way to go before you make rank, newbie! Get more experience before you try and bluff griffons you hear! Now,get out of here newbie!”

As the pony ran he stopped and looked back.

”Get on before I report you! So help me,Sargent Captain's, you had better be in orientation with the others in the morning or I will find you…do this again and throwing out the trash will be a high position for you!!”

The Pony stumbled looking back over his shoulder several times as he hurried down the hall mumbling something about flying horses and Griffons.

The Pegasus went over to the counter to pay his bill.Something about said pony wasn't right. He looking a bit manic, but that was to be expected, for a newly recruited soldier!
But that was what was wrong.
It was too much like what the pegisi expected, too perfectly wrong!

"Shouldn't you go with him?"asked the clerk.

"Naw."said Captains."He can't get out that way, he'll be closed in, if he starts to wander others will notice."

The clerk and the Sargent looked at each other.

Excuse me,"said the Sargent" but I need to see a guy about a pony!

Going on automatic, though the pony, why did he always do that.Why did he somehow think that was a good idea? He always got in trouble when he went on automatic!
Always!

When the Pegasus was out of sight, the pony stopped, before he could slouch and let out a sigh he turned his head. He noticed a door looking most
familiar!

A welcome distraction!He opened and went in.His brain was needling him. As if to say that he couldn't not think forever, realization will occur, like it or not.

He could still run away in a fugitive cloud! Yes, indefinitely! Oh, but this! So very welcome and familiar indeed!The perfect distraction indeed! He calmed down looking at the sinks. Exactly as they should be! He then found and trotted into a stall, closed the door and with a click drew the bolt and a sighed, “Porcelain and tile!” As he had turned around, he then realized something.

“ Why can’t I remember my name?Is this somepony, somepony…some..pony’s, som..e….po..ny…’s…”he blinked. Why was he saying that? “What is this dream about?What must I prove?”

Then the top of his head gently rested on the door.It felt to real to be a dream. He let out a sad sound.“I've stolen valor!”the sound, like a sob of realization.

Soldiers had enough trouble.Such behavior! He was alarmed. By doing such things,was he losing his soul?

Was he in hell? He bit his lip and closed his eyes. No…he wasn’t in torment, he felt all over his body, no. Purgetory? Pftt…There is no purgatory in the book! That would be Abraham’s bosom and……..

Then he realized in horror. The book!

My book! I hid it in my clothes! They’re on the way to the garbage!"

He was going to where the garbage was because there had to be an exit there! After all garbage in garbage out. Now he had a new mission!

I’ve got to find it! Of course! I must prove my devotion, my devotion to His word! Once I do, find my book, my devotion will be assured! This dream will end…everything will be okay! Everything will be okay! Everything will be okay! Everything will be okay…..Okay, kay.Kay? My head! His head felt hot and he was feeling feverish.

Author's Note:

Will our pony find his book?