• Published 12th Feb 2015
  • 7,987 Views, 162 Comments

A Farmers Tools - Imperium Bedlam



After spending a few thousand years in stone, one particular Displaced, in the form of Malthael, just wants to enjoy the simple things in life.

  • ...
25
 162
 7,987

The Shovel

"And what about this one?" The filly bounced down the halls gleefully as her mentor followed calmly behind. Each of the different murals she had seen held a story and her teacher had told her about them all. Well, most of them.

"Ah, this one." Her mentor seemed to shiver as she looked up at the glass. Memories she'd wished could be forgotten suddenly returning while she reluctantly thought best on how to phrase them.

"Long ago, only a few hundred years after the foundation of Equestria, a mysterious being appeared deep within the Everfree." A wing pulled the filly closer, though whether it was for her comfort or her mentors, neither of them could tell.

"Back then ponies were much simpler, and before then we had never known what a single being could be capable of..." She held back a tear as her eyes moved further up the mural.

"This, stranger, committed a terrible crime, and because of that a new visitor came to Equestria. She saw what he had done and she locked him away, leaving us with only a few words and a name." Though her smile had never left her, it seemed that now was the only time it became real.

"Who was she? And what did she say?" The foal had only become more curious as her teachers short story continued.

Her mentor looked to the top of the mural, the figure adorning it almost seemed menacing as it stood above the lower one. "She only told us, Dissy will probably let him out anyway', and her name was The N-"

Princess Celestia, diarch of Equestria, quietly sighed as she forwent old memories. They were only recent for her, but in the eyes of her ponies each day was as meaningful as the last. Still, she couldn't help as her smile faded somewhat. The mural she stared up at looming over her like a burden of the past, now becoming a stake to the heart at her recent discovery.

At the bottom of the mural stood a dark bipedal figure, face hidden under his cloak as the countless faded skeletons of his victims littered scenery around him. As the bottom faded to the top however, the scenery became much brighter. Wings of purple easily blinding out the bottom figures wings of darkness as the top figures arms crossed in the air above him, each hand holding onto an identical sword.

While the bottom figure's features lay mostly hidden, the tops were almost clear as day. Her hair was a jet-black as it fell just past her shoulders, her skin an earthy pink and her eyes a piercing blue as they stared gently down at the bottom figure. No matter how many years went by, Celestia felt she could never forget her.

It was with these memories in mind that she turned and headed up towards her room. She triple-locked and made sure to cast as many soundproofing spells as possible before she felt she would be in total privacy. She let her curtains block out the windows and lit a few candles around the room before tilting a framed picture of her and Twilight slightly to the left.

A hole appeared in one of the walls stones and she carefully slid her horn inside before casting approximately thirty seven spells in a certain order. Large sections of the wall began to rearrange into a hole containing one box and one large, chocolate, three-tiered buttercream cake.

Now, here is where it gets confusing. Don't blame me, blame mysterious other authors #1 and #2.

Celestia calmly floated the cake out of the hole and onto her bed while pulling out the box and carefully opening it. She lay the lid down to the side before floating out the waffle-iron inside. Placing it onto her dresser, she took a few moments to compose herself as she went over the ritual in her mind.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Once she believed herself completely and utterly prepared for it, she focused her magic onto her favorite gramophone, carefully lifting the needle as she replaced the vinyl on it for one labeled Symphony 9 - Beethoven. The initial bump gave way to the gentle picking up of the instruments while she gently picked up a piece of cake.

As the music came to a crescendo she slowly levitated herself around and onto the roof, piece of cake floating nearby as she calmly stood on her hind legs. Her forelimbs crossed over in front of her as the music began to pick up and she began to bite into the cake. At once the music reached a peak and she took greedy bites of the cake, unable to savor them as she began hopping forward, doing what was apparently called 'Gangnam Style'.

Three pieces of cake later, plenty of hoof-prints on the ceiling, and the music reaching the midway point, she finally heard a loud ding as the waffle-iron opened. She almost collapsed as she returned to normal gravity and finished off the cake in one fell swoop. Making sure to pull the pin off the gramophone, she lifted open the waffle-iron and pulled out the freshly baked cheese toasted sandwich from within and held it to her ear.

She almost sounded desperate as she spoke into it, having long gotten over the absurdity of the ritual. "Hello, is this The Nightingale?"

A loud, slightly creepy voice sounded out a reply while she absently packed the record away. "Well, could you please put me through to her?"

It wasn't her fault she sounded slightly disgusted, the one on the other end of the phone just sounded so.... odd. Her expressions only changed minutely as she heard the sounds of a scuffle on the other end of the cheese-toasty, ranging from confusion to apprehension before she reluctantly said once more, "Hello, is this The Nightingale?"

The perfectly made sandwich gave an affirmative.

“Thank harmony, after all these years I was hoping I hadn’t forgotten how to call you.” She let out a sigh of relief before her tone became more curious, “Who was that anyway?”

A few moments of silence kept on as only Celestia could hear those on the other end, one of them occasionally trying to annoy the other.

“...Well alright then. Back to the matter at hoof though…” She put on a more serious expression as she moved to the window, pulling the curtains aside and gazing worriedly down towards Ponyville before turning towards the Canterlot Gardens, and the now empty pedestal that stood there. “...Malthael has escaped. And just as you had said, Discord was behind it.”

She focused down towards the few tourists who had decided to tour the gardens, no doubt wondering about the pedestal and the ring of crabs surrounding it. Obviously, she couldn't risk anything until she was sure they were safe. A slightly worried chuckle escaped her as she replied to the ol' burned bread with cheese, “A little hard to now that my student and her friends have returned him to stone. As for Malthael however, so far my sister and I have gotten no news, though we doubt he is up to anything good.”

The answer she got while both almost inspiring, also filled her with mild agitation that she couldn't ignore. “Whether he chose to or not, that monster can never be forgiven for what he’s done.” Disgust rang out in her voice as she reflected on what he'd done. “Were it not for you, he may have finished what he started a thousand years ago.”

Celestia looked slightly fearful as the baked dough and dairy lectured her before she looked once more to her subjects and remembered her duties. "Very well, and if I do not accept him?"

She had known of course, what the being on the other end could be capable of. It was with these thoughts that she hid her worry behind a brave façade. “Very well. My sister and I will just have to see him for ourselves. But what do you mean by a lett-” There was a small flash of light as a letter, unmistakably one of Twilight's, appeared in front of her and she swiftly caught it. “Oh.”

Reading over it as she listened her expression remained featureless. The letter told her that a 'mysterious being called Malthael' had appeared at Sweet Apple Acres, asking for a job of all things. This was most likely a ploy, but she had to judge that for herself. Her usual smile returned as she rolled the letter up and placed it down on the dresser, taking out a blank parchment as she quickly wrote and sent a letter to her sister.

“Then I hope I do not disappoint.”

Author's Note:

Sorry the chapters are so short, I'm not one of those people who can drum up over four thousand words in a single sitting, but hey, I might get there eventually. Also I was incredibly tired writing this, sorry 'bout that.

Oooh, who is this mysterious telephone being? What horrifying atrocities could Malthael have committed? Yea, I'm no good at hyping people up. Just place yer bets or whatever.

And someone list off a bunch of farming tools I can use for chapter names. Cheers.

P.S. This was supposed to be longer and have another Malthael section, but what was originally just meant to be a tiny bit at the beginning became almost a chapter long, so I lengthened it and am putting the other two-thirds of the chapter into the next one.

P.P.S. Sorry if this is boring.

P.P.P.S. Sorry for all the sorry's.