• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 11,380 Views, 209 Comments

Music is Magic - Twilight Nightmare



After being shunned from her brothers wedding, Twilight intends to show them that she can make it on her own without them.

  • ...
17
 209
 11,380

She's Got the Power

It had been three months since winning the Battle of the Bands and the group had produced two records so far that had both broken several records such as most sold from a new band on the first day of release. Their popularity was increasing by the day with many cities inviting them to perform there which was a little staggering. Still they were making it, making more than enough to live a very comfortable life not only for themselves, but in Twilight and Vinyl’s cases, their families as well.

Despite all of the attention and fun they had, it was still a lot of work. Especially for Twilight and Sunset as they learned just how hard it was to maintain their illusions throughout the few large shows they did while their shows they put on before was only one or two songs for a small crowd. Still, it didn’t keep them from doing their best as they were all determined more than ever to do this.

“So, you girls ready?” Velvet asked as they headed to the fair grounds where they would be performing in Manehattan after Night Light asked them to since one of his old friends were responsible for the entertainment. They were happy that it promised to be a smaller gig, their instruments already at the platform they were to perform on after several other entertainers finished their acts. It left them time to enjoy the rides and some of the games beforehand. It was kind of sad that they had to wear cloaks though it also let them stay in their real form before having to use the illusions.

“I guess we’re ready.” Twilight said, smiling to their manager which was her mother after she revealed that she quit working for Celestia after the wedding. Mother and daughter loved being able to work together, able to spend the time together they missed when Twilight grew up in the castle as the Princess’s personal student. “Though I am looking forward to seeing the magic show.”

“Magic show?” Sunset asked, coming up beside Twilight to see a poster advertising the act that would be before their own. It seemed that Trixie had somehow managed to secure a spot at the fair which made Twilight smile as she had worried about the traveling magician after she ran away from Ponyville.

“Yeah, some pony I kind of know is doing it.” Twilight said with a smile, “I can’t wait to see what she does today. She tells the best stories!”

“Well then maybe we should head to the stage to watch, it should be starting soon.” Vinyl said, smirking at the jealous look Sunset shot Twilight while the violet unicorn didn’t notice it. Velvet did take notice and shook her head while smiling a little. She would love to see the young unicorn get over whatever kept holding her back and just ask Twilight out, she was sure her daughter would be happy if Sunset did.

“Girls, I’m not too sure if you want to go near the stage as part of the audience.” Velvet said, stopping as she noticed five ponies that were very familiar to her.

“Its fine, mom, we will just avoid them.” Twilight said getting a confused look from Sunset.

“Come one, come all, and pay witness to the wonders of the Great and Powerful Trrrrriixxxiieeeeeee!” Trixie cried from the stage, throwing her front hooves into the air as smoke blasted up around her and fireworks exploded overhead. Twilight couldn’t help feeling excited as she would be able to watch the whole show uninterrupted. Before she was too stressed out to go, worrying about showing off her own magic or seeing some pony else show theirs off. What little she did see, she loved as Trixie was so good with illusions making them appear and disappear so gracefully without even showing any signs of fatigue. Only a master illusionist could do that, which Twilight wasn’t. Sure Twilight and Sunset were both two of the most powerful unicorns in Equestria, but only in their respective fields as Trixie was in her own.

“Booo, get off the stage you hack!” Rainbow Dash called out, not many of the other ponies seeming to pay much attention to Trixie other than some of the younger colts and fillies. Hearing Rainbow Dash do something so rude angered Twilight, especially since she was looking forward to this show before having to perform herself. “We want to see Jem, not so fake!”

“While I don’t agree with Dash here with how she’s going about it, I do think it best you get off the stage darling. We don’t need another Ursa Minor rampaging.” Rarity said, acting more refined, but just as bad.

“That Ursa Minor wasn’t Trixie’s fault!” Trixie snapped out, her eyes going wide when she saw who it was who said it.

“You!” Trixie hissed angrily pointing at Rainbow Dash.

“So it’s true?” Gasped someone from the growing crowd, more and more ponies being drawn by the argument.

“I did hear something about a poor magician drawing an Ursa into Ponyville and caused a lot of damage.” Another voice said, making Trixie take a step back with her lip quivering and eyes starting to water.

“That is enough!” Twilight screamed, her magic washing over her under the cloak applying her ‘Jem’ illusion. She stomped up the steps on the side of the stage to stand next to Trixie, Sunset and Vinyl following soon after.

“And who are you? One of Trixie the Great and Pathetic’s audience plants?” Rainbow Dash asked, flying up to hover just above them.

“No, I’m some pony who knows the difference between a showmare and fraud!” Jem snapped throwing her cloak off. “And Trixie is no fraud! In fact I was there the night of the Ursa and Trixie risked her life to protect the two foals who led that Ursa into Ponyville.”

Rainbow Dash looked on in shock, her jaw hanging open as Jem stood there glaring at her in anger. She didn’t seem able to formulate a response to Jem’s claims as the others came up to surround her.

“Do you hate us?” Pinkie Pie asked, her mane falling flat while Fluttershy seemed to shy behind Applejack who was looking on in shock, yet anger while Rarity just stood there unsure of what to say.

“Now that there is a straight out lie! We would have known if you were there!” Applejack finally said, the others nodding in agreement.

“Then why do I know Twilight Sparkle pleaded with you to leave her alone? Trixie may have bragged a little, but that’s what a showmare does. They have to sell themselves and their art as Trixie is one of the best illusionist I have ever seen. And even Twilight Sparkle agrees with me.” Jem scoffed, Melody and Vinyl ditching their clothes. “I guarantee Trixie is the best unicorn illusionist in all of Equestria and her stories are the best.”

“Girls, please don’t fight.” Fluttershy squeaked out.

“I’m not fighting, I’m just stating facts.” Jem said, “Trixie, is a pony I would be proud to call a friend and I would be honored if she would let us perform with her.”

“Your crazy!” Rainbow Dash snapped as the crowd started booing.

“Get off the stage!”

“Let them perform!”

“Come on you lot, off the stage.” Two earth ponies who were serving as security guards said ushering the group of girls off the stage as Trixie came over to Jem.

“Do you really wish to be Trixie’s friend?” Trixie asked softly, getting a nod from Jem.

“I do, would you like to put on a show together?” Jem asked, Trixie nodding a few moments later.

“Let’s have some fun then.” Jem said as they went and got their stuff from behind the curtains and pushed it out, Vinyl’s synth on a small platform with wheels. Jem gave Trixie one last smile before the music started as Trixie started casting illusions, creating realistic looking mythical creatures, dangerous monsters and normally timid forest creatures all getting along and dancing to the music much to the amusement of the younger ponies in the crowd.

“Like a crystal gleaming bright, like a prism bending light! She can turn the day into night, she's got the power!” Jem sang, Trixie making the sky seem to darken as if it was night, the moon replacing the sun while pulling out a somewhat large crystal from her hat letting it balance on her hoof, holding it up as the light from the false moon shone through it, it created rainbows going in all different directions making the ponies look on in awe as it was no simple trick of a prism, as the rainbow colored beams were so bright and vibrant.

“See the way the candles gleam, feel the sun throw off its beam! She can turn life into a dream, she's got the power!” Jem continued as the sun reappeared alongside the moon as flames from candles surrounded them without the actual candles supporting them.

“Her mastery is no illusion, she’s got the power!” Jem sung, finishing up moments later as the illusions slowly faded while the crowd stared up at them for several long moments before they finally starting cheering, more than just a few of the cheers being directed to Trixie herself as a few tears escaped while bowing to the crowd.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Velvet waited for the remaining element bearers, and her daughter’s old friends to wonder away from the cheering with dejected looks on their faces. She was angry at them, but Twilight had pulled her aside during the cheering before the encore started and asked her to deliver a simple message to Pinkie Pie. If it was up to Velvet she wouldn’t have as she did not like these girls after what they had done, but she had promised her daughter.

“You know, I’m beginning to wonder if the elements made a mistake when choosing you girls.” Velvet said getting their attention, the angry looks at the accusation falling away at the realization of who was talking.

“How many times do we have to apologize?” Applejack sighed, hanging her head much like the others. Pinkie Pie though already had her head lowered and while Velvet thought the mare’s mane looked much better this way, she did know it was a sign that the earth pony was deeply troubled and saddened. Despite being angry at them, she didn’t like seeing the pink pony in such a bad state.

“Until I actually believe it, but I’m not here for that.” Velvet sighed, “I came to deliver a message to Pinkie Pie.” Velvet moved over to whisper in the pink mare’s ear. “No, she doesn’t hate you, not anymore. She’s deeply disappointed in all of you, but maybe someday she will come see you. Until then, she expects you to keep her secret if you really care about her.”

“Really?” Pinkie sobbed out as she pulled back, but her hair had poofed back up a lot which Velvet couldn’t help smiling a little at. Sure she may have embellished the message some, but maybe it was for the best as it seemed to cheer one of the only two of the girls she could almost say she could possibly forgive.

“Yes, really. I have work to do so enjoy the fair.” Velvet said before wondering off.

Author's Note:

We will be going on vacation and wanted to let everyone know, so wanted to get at least a chapter out for this before we go. I'm sorry it is kind of short, and sorry if the description of Trixie's part wasn't all that great as I'm not very good with that stuff.