• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 11,380 Views, 209 Comments

Music is Magic - Twilight Nightmare



After being shunned from her brothers wedding, Twilight intends to show them that she can make it on her own without them.

  • ...
17
 209
 11,380

Truly Outrageous

“We’re running out of money.” Twilight sighed as Sunset muttered curses as she restrung her guitar. It was times like this that she missed being human as it made tasks such as this a whole lot easier. True she had gotten more and more used to using her magic once again, she could play instruments easy now, but things that took much more control such as actually restringing an instrument took a lot more effort. Sometimes she wondered how pegasi and earth ponies managed.

“I know…and having to buy the strings didn’t help. We won’t be able to stay here much longer unless something happens.” Sunset said, already knowing that they were going to be having trouble soon. Sure they had earned a bit of a name for themselves the last few months, which got crowds coming to them when they stopped at a new town. With the bits they earned from their street performances they've managed to keep afloat until now.

Unfortunately, the fine they were given two weeks ago for performing without a license in one of the bigger cities has really eaten into their budget. And with the big dent placed in their earnings, things seemed to get worse as repairs had to be made to Sunset’s guitar and now the new strings for it. It meant that they would be sleeping under the stars which didn’t really bother them as they had to when they first started. It just meant that they would have to stick to smaller towns for the time being as they didn’t seem to require permits for their shows. It would take longer to build their reserves back up though.

“We will be okay though, I know we will.” Twilight said as she sat next to Sunset nuzzling her. Sunset couldn’t help leaning into it, feeling a little shiver passing through her body at the touch making her feel good. Not that she would admit it to the other unicorn, or admit that she was attracted to her. And with that attraction growing more and more as time went on.

She wanted so much to maybe explore those feelings and maybe even ask Twilight out, but she never really had experience with that sort of thing. All of the knowledge she had came from gossip she overheard in the human world and books which confused her at the same time. She was afraid that she was looking too far into things and the feelings she was having were really just feelings close friends had…something she never believed she would ever have. A friend.

“I know, but for awhile we might be a little tight on bits.” Sunset sighed, “I’m hoping that we get enough bits for train tickets to Bitsbe.”

“Isn’t that town a little too small?” Twilight asked, arching an eyebrow at the suggestion.

“It is small, but a lot of ponies stop there overnight during their travels. That means a lot of new ponies everyday.” Sunset explained, happy that she learned that detail from the inn keeper earlier.

“I didn’t know that, all I really knew was that it was a very small town.” Twilight said, unsure how to take that. She trusted Sunset, especially after the pony had trusted her with the story about her time in the human world. It didn’t make a lot of sense that such a small town like Bitsbe, where most places of business were closing and moving out, would get any visitors at all.

“Yeah, and there’s a big convention being held there soon. The inn keeper said if we wanted to make it in time for the convention we should leave by noon tomorrow.” Sunset said, growing a little more excited making Twilight smile. She didn’t see Sunset truly smile a lot, but getting this information seemed to really excite the pony making Twilight smile in return. Still…she had a nagging suspicion that something wasn’t right.

“Well, let’s head out and see what we can do about earning some money.” Twilight said, making Sunset’s smile grow even more before they took up their disguises. As they walked down the stairs and into the common room where several ponies were enjoying a meal they saw the inn keeper with a younger mare. She was a pink pony with a light blue mane with a microphone for a cutie mark.

“I got rid of more of your competition dear, told them that some fake convention is coming to Bitsbe to get them out of here before the competition tomorrow evening.” The inn keeper said making Sunset freeze in place as they overheard the conversation.

“I’m going to kill him!” Sunset hissed, though as Twilight put a hoof on her shoulder she sighed and was able to calm down.

“Don’t worry about him; let’s just go do what we were planning.” Twilight said as the inn keeper turned to see them, all color draining from his face seeing the still fuming expression on Sunset. He visibly relaxed as Sunset just snorted angrily and stalked away from him. Twilight took a mug that was sitting on the bar in her magic and dumped the sticky contents over his head before following.

“You didn’t have to do that, you know.” Sunset said, though she half smile showed she was very appreciative of the gesture.

“I know, but no pony tries to pull such a dirty prank on my best friend.” Twilight said happily as she trotted next to Sunset who felt like her heart was breaking and soaring all at the same time.

“Let’s just forget it, I want to play some music and get it out of my mind.” Sunset said as a crowd started gathering around them as the reached the park. They had a small following already, though with only a small percentage offering bits for their performances, they didn’t make a lot.

“Okay, how about…Truly Outrageous?” Twilight asked, getting a nod from Sunset as she took the guitar in her magic and started playing the music for the song. It was one of their new songs they had just written recently and once again Sunset found herself lost in the vision that was Twilight as she started singing.

“Look at me, in a different role, trying out a brand new part. But don't you worry baby, I know I'll never have a change of heart!” Twilight sang, her body moving with the music making Sunset move a little as well. A part of her wondered if maybe something was wrong with her as she felt just as attracted to Jem as she was toward Twilight. Sure she knew they were really the same pony under the illusion, but she couldn’t help feeling a little guilty.

The lyrics fit them so well though as the fans around seemed to love the new song, more and more ponies gathering around them. It was true, both of them were trying a new role in life and they were going to do their best at it.

“It's truly, truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous (a fantasy!) Bein' anyone I wanna be! And on top of it all, you're here with me!” Twilight sang, Sunset supplying the backups to the song. She couldn’t help feeling butterflies as Twilight looked to her from the corner of her eyes while singing about being there with her. For a brief moment she wondered if perhaps that was meant just for her.

The loud cheers that greeted them broke Sunset from those thoughts as bits were tossed in her guitar case. It was more than they had actually planned on getting which was good, but still not enough to cover there recent losses and expenses.

“That was awesome you guys!” A voice that sounded somewhat familiar to Twilight cheered as she trotted up to them. “You are going to rock the battle of the bands tomorrow!”

“Vinyl?” Twilight gasped out, shocked to see Pinkie Pie’s friend there. Twilight had met the DJ twice while living in Ponyville as she came to visit Pinkie Pie.

“Awesome! You know my name? Most ponies just know me by my stage name.” Vinyl laughed, “So who else is in your band? Or do you have a full music system like my setup?”

“I’m sorry, but we don’t know what you’re talking about.” Sunset said, looking at the slightly scared look on Twilight’s face.

“Come on! You have to be here for the battle of the bands, the winner is guaranteed a record deal with Twilight Music.” Vinyl said, making Twilight cock her head as she wondered if that was just some kind of coincidence. “You two will probably take the prize. Sweet Celestia, most of the competition I’ve heard sound like some pony being tortured.”

“Yeah, well, we didn’t know about it and this…is…kind of all we have.” Sunset said, feeling a little let down at the opportunity that they couldn’t grasp because apparently they needed a full band with a full range of instruments if she understood what this pony was saying.

“Heck no! You two are going to that competition! I’ll provide my equipment and even take care of most of the track. You can borrow one of my electrics Melody. And Jem, I have wireless headsets so you don’t have to concentrate so much on holding a mic in your magic.” Vinyl said already making plans that left the two stunned.

“You don’t even know us.” Twilight said. Shaking her head.

“You already know my name apparently, and I hear you sing a couple weeks ago in Summerdale. You’re Shimmering Jem and Sparkling Melody.” Vinyl said, pointing at each one saying their names. “You two deserve this, and when you get the record deal I’m sure the studio will supply a house band. Or…well…if you wanted?”

“Wanted what?” Twilight asked, catching on quickly now. Vinyl wanted something from them, and Twilight was unsure of how to take it. She didn’t want to owe any pony anything, but if they wanted to do this they needed help. Question was, could they afford this pony’s help?

“I could…you know…travel with you for awhile? Don’t get me wrong, I love being the most awesome DJ in Equestria…but I want a change for awhile. I want to be a part of making music instead of playing it. Sure I can deliver some serious wubz…but I just need a change you know.”

“We…have to talk about it first.” Twilight said, noticing how tired Sunset seemed to be getting. She should have realized that after using so much power fixing the strings before having to help maintain their disguises would have tired her out. After so long as a human without magic, Sunset’s magical stamina was a little low despite being pretty powerful still.

“Twi-Twilight!” Vinyl gasped out as Twilight tried to take over both of their disguises only to misjudge the amount of powers causing their disguises to fluctuate momentarily. It wasn’t long enough for any pony not paying attention to notice. Sadly, it was enough for Vinyl.

“I can explain!” Twilight gasped out as she looked at Vinyl in fear, only to have the unicorn to hug her.

“You have no idea how worried every pony has been about you!” Vinyl said, squeezing Twilight. “I guess you don’t want me telling them if you are out her doing this.”

“If you don’t mind keeping a secret.” Twilight said hopefully, not liking the smirk growing on the pony’s face.

“Oh, I suppose I can’t tell any pony if I’m traveling with you two. Of course we will have to stop off and see my marefriend when she’s not in tour.” Vinyl said, wincing when she saw the angry glare Sunset was sending her. “Kidding, just kidding. Don’t worry Twi, I promise not to tell any pony. I really would love to help you though, now more than ever.”

“We don’t have a choice if we want to have a shot at that record deal Twi.” Sunset sighed.

“So you don’t mind?” Twilight asked.

“It’s up to you.” Sunset sighed, unsure of how to take this. It would be nice to have another member while at the same time it would take Twilight’s attention away from Sunset. Not that she was jealous, okay maybe she was a little jealous, but this was what was best for them all.

“Okay then, welcome to the band.” Twilight said hugging Vinyl making Sunset send a glare at the new member who returned the hug.

Author's Note:

Here's the video for this chapter's song. :twilightsmile:

Sorry that it has been awhile since I updated, but I plan to try and update both this and Sunrise a few times each over the next couple of weeks. Hope you enjoy! :twilightsmile:

Also, thanks to BiomasterM2 for helping point out a lot of errors and rewording some things making this chapter at least 20% more awesome! :twilightsmile: