• Published 17th Sep 2015
  • 3,333 Views, 38 Comments

A Man and an Army - Saffron



A search for a mysterious energy reading leads a Commander to Equestria

  • ...
22
 38
 3,333

Day Leave for Three

Author's Note:

This story was published 5 years ago today. I wish I had more done on this story but life happens. I still plan on finishing this story and i'm going to grind out a few more chapters maybe try for one or two a week and if I get time try to grind out one a day like I did in the past. As I said in my previous blog posts I am not dead and neither is this story. The updates however are not going to be constant or consistent. Though I will try to focus on this more. I hope you all enjoy this chapter, the longest chapter published so far.

I walked back to the jeep and as I approached the soldiers inside exited with Spade Heart.

“Would you like to see your sister?” I asked as I kneeled next to her.

“Yes.” She replied happily.

“Good, we have a lot to discuss.” I smiled. “Follow me.”

“Okay.”

I began walking towards the ship and Spade Heart followed closely behind. When we approached the airlock Spade was startled by the automatic doors.

“Are they magic?” She asked curiously.

“No little one, they are electric.” I laughed. “Come your sister is waiting.”

Spade Heart was fascinated by everything around her. From the lights, to the doors, and even the people she saw making their way through the ship. She was very curious. As I made my way through I saw Mimic.

“Hey Mimic where have you been?” I asked.

“You left me outside the institute.” He replied.

“Oh yeah, sorry about that.” I laughed. “Come with me I want to introduce you to my new pet.”

“You have a pet?” Mimic asked looking surprised.

“Yeah. I do now.” We continued walking toward my room.

“Is it a dog?” Spade Heart asked looking excited.

“No it is not little one.” I looked at Mimic. “This is Spade Heart.” I motioned to the filly.

“Nice to meet you.” Mimic replied courteously.

“You are nice for a changeling.” Spade Heart said.

“You have met changelings before?” Mimic was obviously curiously. “Who were they?”

“I don’t know. My sister always talked to them. They never sounded nice.”

“Interesting.” We approached the door to my room. I opened it and let Mimic and Spade Heart inside.

“Spade!” Black Jack exclaimed when she noticed her sister enter.

“Black Jack!” Spade Heart ran to her sister and tackled her in a hug.

While those two were hugging it out I turned to the two privates that were guarding Black Jack. “Did she cause you two any problems?”

“No, the prisoner did not cause any problems.” Alex reported.

“Good. You two are dismissed.”

“Yes Sir.” The two saluted before leaving.

I walked over to my desk and sat down. “Finally.” I sighed. Today could have gone better. Mimic walked over to me and stood in front of my desk. “Yes Mimic?” I asked.

“Who are those two ponies?” Mimic asked motioning to Black Jack and Spade Heart.

“My new pets.”

“What?” Mimic was confused.

“Yeah… it is how it sounds.” I replied as I turned on my computer. I began putting in a request from the medbay and armory. It took a few minutes before Black Jack reluctantly walked over with Spade Heart following behind.

“Thank you, for saving my sister.” Black Jack's words were sincere. She was truly grateful I saved Spade Heart. I could see it in her eyes.

“No problem. I want you to be happy here after all. It is your home now.” I replied. I continued making various orders on my computer.

“What does he mean?” I overheard Spade Heart whisper to Black Jack. “Our home is in Las Pegasus.”

I decided to answer her question before Black Jack could. “That is because she is my pet. You are as well, little one.”

“We are not…”

“Because of you one of my men died!” I yelled at Black Jack cutting her off. Spade Heart coward behind her. “You are whatever I say you are.” The anger in my voice was clear. “You are lucky to even be speaking.” I looked at Spade Heart quivering behind her sister. “I even saved her.” I pointed to the filly. “I have shown you more than mercy.” My tone was getting more angered. I felt a strong heat building in my hands. I felt my anger getting the better of me and I took a breath. “It doesn’t matter what you think anymore. All that matters is that you obey.”

A knock came from my door. I telekinetically opened the doors. In walked a soldier with a cart. On the cart was an injector with two vials containing tracking devices and two black collars. I walked over and picked up the injectors and the vials. I loaded up the first vial.

“Now come over here.” I coldly said. Black Jack was scared. I could see it under her mostly calm expression. She walked over so did Spade Heart. “I need to give you both an injection. It is a general vaccine that should keep you healthy.” This was a lie.

I started with Black Jack. I positioned the injector behind her shoulder before injecting her with the tracking device. She winced but did not complain. I then quickly put the collar on her before she could react.

“What is this?” She stepped back after feeling the collar wrap around her neck. She quickly tried to take it off but instead she felt a painful shock. “Ahhh!” She exclaimed in pain.

“Yeah… I wouldn’t do that.” I loaded the next tracking device into the injector. “Come here Spade.” The little filly slowly approached. I could see Black Jack wanted to do something, anything really, to get her sister out. I put the injector down. I sighed. “Tell me something Black Jack, do you have informants in the griffon kingdom?” I asked.

She hesitated a moment before answering. “Yes.”

“One more question. Do you still have control of the Javelin syndicate or did the griffons take over?”

“The griffons only managed to take out my larger operations in Griffon Stone, but last I checked most other operations in the other nations are untouched.”

I smiled. “Then maybe we can work something out.”

---------------------------------- Outside of Ponyville ----------------------------------

After the two privates, Alex and Jasmine, finished guarding the prisoner they met up with Sergeant Fulks and went to visit the town of Ponyville. It had been awhile since Fulks had taken some leave and he was glad to finally take a break.

“Got any plans, Alex?” Fulks asked.

“Yeah, I am going to check out what kind of food they have here.” Alex replied. “I hope it isn’t just vegetables and grass.”

“They are ponies. So don’t expect too much.” Fulks turned his attention to Jasmine. “What about you Jasmine? What do you plan on doing?”

“I’m not sure. I will probably just look at some shops, see what they have to offer.” Jasmin replied.

“What about you sergeant major?” Jasmine returned the question.

“I am just going to relax and enjoy my day off.”

The three continued walking in silence for a few minutes before they finally reached the outskirts of Ponyville.

“Next time we should requisition some transport.” Alex complained.

“Are you seriously bitching about the walk?” Fulks laughed. “Seriously?”

“Hey, i’m just saying it’s faster. This hour walk could have been a five minute drive.” Alex pointed out.

“And miss all this nature?” Fulks took a deep breath. “And this wonderful air?”

“There is plenty of air in the town sir.” Alex replied.

“No one likes a smartass.” Fulks retorted. “Looks like we are finally here.”

The three soldiers walked into town. Only a few ponies were on the outskirts of town. Once the three got closer some of the ponies noticed them. The ponies looked on curiously as the soldiers got closer.

“Hey major. Looks like we are getting some stares.” Alex said looking at the ponies.

“It is to be expected. This usually happens on planets that never had contact from ‘aliens’.” Fulks looked towards the staring ponies. When his gaze met theirs they began walking away quickly. “Looks like they get spooked easily.”

“Hey major.” Jasmine spoke up. “I’m gonna break off and go check out the shops.”

“Wait.” Fulks stopped the privates. “Listen, our rendezvous point will be that welcome sign.” Fulks pointed to the sign they passed a few minutes ago. “You have seven hours.”

“Yes sir!” Jasmine replied saluting. “See you guys later.” She broke from the group and went her own way into the town.

The two remaining soldiers continued together into the town before they came across a sweet shop.

“I think i’m going to split off as well. That shop looks like it has some good treats.” Alex began heading for the shop. “I’ll meet back up later.”

“Alright private, see you at the rendezvous point.”

Fulks was alone now. Wandering the town of ponyville looking for anything of interest. After a while Fulks found a spa.

“They have a spa here?” Fulks said to no one in particular. “Might as well check it out.”

Fulks entered the building. As soon as the door opened a bell rang above him. This put the soldier on edge for a moment before he realised what it was. He removed his hand from his side arm and walked up to the counter.

“I will be with you in a moment.” Someone called from the back. Fulks couldn’t quite tell but it sounded almost as if she had an accent. After a few minutes a pink pony with a blue mane and tail came to the counter. “How may I help you?” Yup, she definitely had a french accent.

“I was just looking around.” He paused taking a moment to look at what services they offered. The services cost money and he doubted they took credits. “I don’t really have any money… unless you accept credits.” Fulks sighed.

“Hmm… That is unfortunate.” The mare looked me over. “But I think the experience in this case might be worth it.”

“Huh?”

“I have never worked on a creature like you.” She clarified. “So in this case the experience should be payment enough.”

“That works for me.” Fulks laughed. He looked at the pony then realising she had hooves and not hands. “This definitely will be interesting.”

“Just follow me to the back sir and we can begin.” She smiled.

“Lead the way.” Fulks replied as he followed the pony.

Fulks followed the mare to a large back room. It had a large pool that was releasing steam, possibly a hot spring and several smaller pools off to the side which looked as if they contained mud. Fulks continued to follow her to another separate room in the back. Soft music was playing and there were several massage tables. Along with various decorations and plants which made the atmosphere much calmer. Fulks also noted a slight hint of mint in the air. His stress and tension was already melting away.


---------------------------------- Private Alex ----------------------------------

Alex was outside of the shop known as Sugarcube Corner. He was amazed as the structure itself looked almost edible. He was excited, it had been months since he had any real sweets besides what is offered on the ship, and that selection itself was limited and to be honest… not the best when it comes to quality or options. As Alex entered the establishment he was hit with the delightful smell of sugar. The sight before him almost brought a tear to his eye. There were pies, cakes, and cup cakes of differing flavors, cinnamon pastries, strudel, e’claires, the list could go on. He walked up to the counter and inspected the treats from behind a glass prison. He was so close, but yet so far. That's when the realization hit him. This planet was not apart of the NLR and… would not accept credits. Alex fell to his knees the sound of his knee pads hitting the tile floor got the attention of the blue earth pony with a pink swirled mane. She saw Alex and seemed apprehensive but approached nonetheless.

“Are you okay dearie?” The pony asked.

“No, I just realized I have none of your currency.” He looked away from the treats and toward the pony. “I was looking forward to eating something good for once after eating military rations for months.” Alex sighed and stood up. “Guess I will be waiting a while longer.” He turned defeated and began walking toward the exit.

“Wait.” Alex turned towards her. “Have a cupcake on the house.” The mare smiled.

This caught Alex by surprise. “What?”

The mare picked out a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting. She placed it on the counter.

“Enjoy!” The mare smiled genuinely.

Alex walked over. “Are you sure?”

“Of course, just tell me what you think of it.”

Alex picked up the cupcake gently and looked at it if it was a lost holy treasure. He brought it close and inhaled. The chocolate smell overpowered his senses. He carefully took a bite. The flavor brought him to his knees as he cried tears of joy. The sudden motion of him dropping shocked the mare.

“Are you okay?” She asked worriedly as she walked around the counter to check on him.

“Yes.” Alex cried. “It's the best thing I have ever eaten.” He took another bite. “Where have you been all my life.” Alex soon finished the godly treat and turned to the mare. “How… how did you make that.”

“It was just a regular cupcake.” The mare replied modestly.

“No… this was perfection.” Alex got back to his feet. “Whoever made this has to be a baking god.”

“You liked it that much?” The mare was surprised.

“I have had to eat bland food for the past few months. This was the first time in a long time I had anything delicious and to be so perfect…” Alex hugged the mare. “Thank you.” The mare returned the hug after a few seconds as she was startled by his action. He broke the hug. “I just wish I had some money now, i'd buy out your whole store.”

“Well…. I could use some help in the shop, our main baker is out at the moment. I could give you some sweets as payment.”

“Yes.” Alex replied excitedly. “I accept, but I only have about 6 hours before I need to head back.”

“That is fine. Whatever help you can give will be appreciated. By the way, my name is Ms. Cake.”

“Nice to meet you, my name is Alex.”

---------------------------------- Private Jasmine ----------------------------------

Jasmine walked through Ponyville looking at the various stores. There was a unique variety of establishments, however there was something that was common with most. They tended to only offer one or two things. For instance, there was a shop called Quills and Sofas… and they only sold quills and sofas! It didn’t even look like they sold ink for the quills. Though it is possible as Jasmine only looked through the window. There was also another shop called Mr. Breezy's Fan Shop which only sold fans. It was quite different from what she was used to. On her home planet she lived in a mega city where skyscrapers and mega structures loomed over everything. The sky itself was completely blocked by their enormous stature. Shopping districts had anything you could ever want or need and there was a constant murmur of people talking, transports flying, and music playing. Compared to this small rural small town on an undeveloped planet it was a shocking sight for her. Almost everything was equally interesting and dull all at the same time. That was until one building caught her eye. It was a brightly colored shop that was at least two stories tall. The front had two large windows each had a few pony shaped mannequins with dresses on.

“Is that a dress shop?” Jasmin asked herself.

Jasmine’s interest peaked. She had not seen any ponies wearing clothes. Besides armor she had not seen any type of clothing. She walked over to the store and looked into one of the windows. It was a dress shop. Jasmine opened the door to the shop. As she did it hit a bell above the door. This triggered her reflexes. She instantly turned and drew her side arm pointing it at the bell. She was about to fire until she realized what it was.

“I’ll be right with you.” A voice called from the back.

Jasmine let out a sigh of relief and holstered her sidearm. She turned and walked in further. The place was very colorful, bright purples and magentas dominated the establishment. There were a few changing rooms that were open and each had a large mirror. There was also a table with needles, thread, and cloth on it. Maybe this was a dressmaker instead of a dress shop. After a minute or so of looking around a white mare with a carefully coiffed mane and red glasses came out from the back of the shop. The mare saw Jasmine and paused for a moment before approaching.

“How may I help you?” The mare seemed calm but there were some visible signs of fear.

“I was just curious about this dress shop. I have not seen any ponies wearing clothes. Just guards in armor.” Jasmine replied.

“Oh.” The mare seemed to relax. “Why yes, most ponies do not wear clothes regularly. Usually its just for special occasions.”

“Interesting, why is that?” Jasmine asked curiously.

“Clothes are expensive and need to be custom fit. So wearing them all the time make it more likely that dresses or suits will get dirty or have the fabric torn.” The mare explained. “It is more common for clothes to be worn in major cities usually there are a lot more dress and clothes makers so they need to be more competitive so clothes tend to be less expensive and more streamlined.”

“That doesn't make sense. How can clothes be so expensive that they are hardly worn?” Jasmine asked.

“The materials are very expensive.” The mare walked over to a large chest and opened it. Her horn glowed and out levitated a large gem the size of a large rock. “Gems are used when making dresses and suits and finding…”

“Holy shit.” Jasmine cut the unicorn off. “Is that an emerald?”

“I would appreciate it if you did not use that language, it is not very polite.” The unicorn scolded her. “And yes, it is an emerald.”

“I apologize.” Jasmine replied not really paying attention to the mare and focusing on the emerald.

“That's alright just don’t do it again.”

“Where did you find a gem like that?” Jasmine asked still focusing on the brilliant green giant.

“Actually it was a friend of mine who helped me get this wonderful beauty, we actually managed to get quite a large amount.” The mare smiled. “It was fun, except when I was abducted by some nasty diamond dogs.”

This caught Jasmine’s attention. “You were abducted?” Her eyes were now on the mare. “What happened?”

“It’s a long story.”

“I have time, I pretty much checked out all the shops and have a few hours to spare before heading back.”

“Well…” The mare seemed to debate whether or not to tell the story. “I guess if you have time.”