• Published 17th Sep 2015
  • 3,315 Views, 38 Comments

A Man and an Army - Saffron



A search for a mysterious energy reading leads a Commander to Equestria

  • ...
22
 38
 3,315

Mercy

I told Celestia and Luna what had happened. That after I had talked with Mimic, I sent him, Astor, and the Elite guard to the friendly changeling village to bring them back. When I mention Mor’grol Celestia’s face seemed to get pale. I told them how Captain Sharp had died protecting the rest. I could tell Celestia was saddened by the news. However Luna seemed more angry than sad.

“What of Mor’grol? Did you kill it?” Luna asked expectantly.

“No, we captured it.” Celestia froze when I said that.

“How?” Celestia seemed thoroughly surprised. After all, she had tried to have it captured before, and that order resulted in several deaths of highly skilled guards.

“We froze it. We are going to collect some samples from it then give it to you to look after. If you want it that is.” I said.

“We would like the creature back.” Celestia said.

“Good, as soon as we are done with it we will deliver it gift wrapped.” I began to leave the throne room. “Now, I am going to relax before the battle.” I left the throne room with Mimic staying close and headed back to the castle gardens.

I laid in the grass and watched the night sky began to brighten. While Mimic I stayed there just seeing each star disappear slowly. I so caught up in it I failed to notice the small crowd that was forming.

“Commander, it is time.” Jane broke my trance and I sat up.

The first thing I noticed was the crowd. I spotted guards throughout it, I also noticed some nobles congregating in an area. I stood up and stretched. Once I was up I got a better look at the crowd. It was mostly comprised of unicorns, but there were a few pegasi in the air and sime earth ponies scattered about.

Celestia came trotting up to me and Avian Flame followed. I guess we are about to get started

Avian Flame stopped a few yards away from me and Celestia stayed between us.

“The rules of this duel are simple. When one of the parties are no longer able to fight the duel is over and the victor is the one left standing.” Celestia paused. “Do you both understand.?”

We both replied by nodding our heads.

“Ready your blades.” Celestia commanded.

Avian Flame unsheathed his sword, and when he did I noticed the wind picked up. I opened up my pocket and drew my flaming broadsword. The crowd gasp and I noticed Avian Flame take a step back. The flames died down until they were gone. I noticed the look of fear hiding in my opponent's eyes. Celestia then raised a barrier around us.

“Begin.” Celestia then teleported out of the designated battle area and appeared in the crowd.

I slowly walked towards Avian Flame with my sword dragging against the ground. The sword scotched the earth as I continued toward him.

Avian Flam took a stance and focused on his sword. I stopped a few feet away and waited to see what he was going to do.

“You think you can beat me you stupid ape. I’ll show you the power of the griffon empire!” He slashed his sword at me releasing several sharp blasts of wind.

I let them hit, the few that didn’t left large gashes in the ground. The blast made me stumble back a few steps but was otherwise uneffected. I remained silent and ran forward. I went for his neck but he blocked my attack. The force behind it caused him to almost lose his balance.

Those few seconds he lost balance gave me enough time to get a hit on his arm. The strike burned his feathers and burned his skin. He squawked out in pain and the crowd began cheering. He recovered faster this time and was able to dodge my next attack.

That caught me off guard, I wasn’t prepared for him to be able to dodge my attack. During my moment of confusion he was able to land a powerful close range wind attack. The force launched me across the field and I hit the barrier that Celestia had put up.

I slowly got up off the ground, and could only do one thing, laugh. I began laughing hard. It was a thrill being hit. I knew that I would most likely have a slightly bruised chest but it was exhilarating to finally face an opponent that could at least hold his own against me. Even if he had a powerful weapon and the skill to use it he was no match.

“You're laughing?!” Avian Flame’s reaction was that of anger. “I’ll show you to laugh at me!” He took another stance.

I felt a power build up, and the pressure began dropping. He was summoning all his strength in this attack. A vortex of wind began forming around him. I took my own stance and fire burst from my blade.

Avian Flame released a gust of wind. The attack was strong enough to make the blade of air visible. It soared at me at an alarming speed. I released a powerful wave of fire to weaken the attack. It was successful in doing so. However part of the attack was not weakened and slammed into the barrier causing it to crack.

The attack also caused a cloud of dust and dirt to obscure the field. When the cloud settled Avian Flame was on one knee and breathing heavily. I walked towards him the flame on my blade dying. He got back up, but it didn’t look like he had much strength left.

“Your blade absorbs your own strength to power its attacks.” I continued towards him. “While mine takes energy from external sources.”

He came at me with the last of his strength and tried to get me with one last attack. His attempt was fruitless however. I caught his blade with one hand and disarmed him.

“You never had a chance to win.” I placed the tip of my blade against his neck. “You put up a good fight though.” Instead of cutting his throat I swiftly got in close and bashed the butt of my sword in his skull knocking him out. “For that I show you mercy.”

The crowd began cheering and stomping their hooves. Celestia teleported next to me and disbanded the shield.

“The winner is the commander.” As Celestia announced my victory I placed my sword back into the pocket. “Therefore all complaints against him are forfeit.”

The cheering increased while the sun was just starting to break the horizon. Celestia motioned for me to follow her. The crowd began to disperse as we entered the castle.

“So, what do you want?” I asked.

“The meeting with the other nation leaders is being postponed until after the wedding.” I figured this was going to happen.

I sighed. “Well, is there a reason why?” I asked.

“A threat has been made against Canterlot. My sister and I discussed this and we would like your assistance.” Celestia seemed desperate.

“Very well, I will have fifty soldiers deployed here sometime today.” I said.

“That is great to hear.” Celestia relaxed a little.

“Well, I am going. I need to get some sleep.” I said yawning.

“You can rest here if you wish.” Celestia offered.

I didn’t see any reason not to. “Sure, why not.” I said.

“Do you remember the way to the guest quarters?” Celestia asked.

I shook my head. “No, I kinda forgot.”

“Follow me, I will show you back to your room.” Celestia began walking.

As I followed her through the castle I noticed the sound of hoofsteps behind and I turned around. It was Mimic. I can ‘t believe I forgot about him

“It is understandable, he is very quiet after all.” Jane said to me mentally.

After Celestia lead us to ‘my’ room I walked over to the bed, took of my armor, and then collapsed on it.

“Mimic, you can go now if you want to.” I said tiredly.

“I think I will just rest here.” Mimic replied as he jumped on a couch.

I heard the sound of flames and assumed that Mimic had unequiped his armor. I was so happy. I was finally going to get some rest. I closed my eyes and drifted of into the abyss of sleep.

I reawakened in the void. I was rushed with the negative emotions again, but something was different. Someone or something was there with me. A malicious force warping the void to its will. The void vanished and I reappeared in an open field. I could feel the ground beneath my feet. Birds were chirping.

It all seemed so familiar. I noticed the barrage of negative emotions stopped, and I began looking around. After some time I found the force that was warping my dreams. It looked like someone wearing a cloak. As I approached I felt a sharp pain in my side. I tried to ignore it, but the pain was growing stronger. I looked down and saw a knife in my side. I removed the knife.

“You are strong…” I looked back over to where that person was and he was gone.

“Where did he go…” I looked around to try and find him, but could not.

I began looking for him again, it took what felt like hours before I found him again.

“Who are you, and why are you here?” I asked.

“Such insolence, you dare speak when not spoken to.” The person turned around. I couldn’t make out any features, the cloak completely covered him.

“Answer the question.” My demand was answered with intense pain.

My body was engulfed in fire. I felt it burning every inch of my skin away and charring my muscle. When I tried to scream out in pain the fire entered my mouth and I began to burn from the inside as well. It felt like I burned for years before it finally stopped. I fell to the ground back to the way I was, unscathed.

“Seems your pet is trying to wake you.” I looked up to see the person begin to fade. “I’ll be waiting.” When he completely vanished my vision was blinded by a white light.

I awakened gasping for air, I checked myself to make sure I wasn’t burned. I only found that I was covered in sweat and that the bed was drenched. I let out a relieved sigh when I realized it was just a dream.

“Are you alright?” Mimic asked concerned. I looked to my side and saw him on my bed.

“What happened?” I asked.

“You were screaming in your sleep. So I came over to wake you.” Mimic said. “How do you feel?” Mimic asked in concern.

“I feel more tired than I did before I went to sleep and I have a piercing migraine.” I said as I rubbed my eyes.

Jane can you tell me what happened?

“I am not entirely sure. I need time to find out what happened.” Jane replied

I hope you can figure it out soon. I cannot go without sleep forever.

I got out of bed and began stretching. After I got the kinks out of my back I looked around my room for a bathroom. I really needed a shower. Once I finished I put my armor back on and sat on the couch. I tried to wrap my head around what happened but I couldn’t figure it out.

My thoughts were broken by someone knocking on my door. I got off the couch and went over to open the door, out side was Midnight Blossom and with her was Shining Armor. They both were accompanied by several guards. Midnight looked rather nervous while Shining looked rather calm.

“We need you to come with us.” Shining Armor said.

Author's Note:

Looks like the Commander isn't going to get a good nights sleep for awhile...