• Published 17th Sep 2015
  • 3,315 Views, 38 Comments

A Man and an Army - Saffron



A search for a mysterious energy reading leads a Commander to Equestria

  • ...
22
 38
 3,315

Ambush

---------------------------------- The Ship ----------------------------------

The vehicles were going through the final check before departure to the institute. Soon Mor’grol would be safely transferred to the custody of the equestrian government. Hendricks was a little nervous, for multiple reasons. The biggest reason was that the possibility the creature could escape and rip him in half. Even though the possibility of that happening was slim.

“You ok?” Alex asked.

“Yes, i’m fine. I just want to get this over with.” Hendricks replied.

“The institute is only a few hours away. It shouldn't take too long before the creature is safely delivered and we can head back here.” Alex got up and started to the transport vehicle.

“Well you will be able to head back, unlike myself.” Hendricks followed after Alex.

“Oh right, you are to be doing a short term study of the creature up there.” Alex entered the transport vehicle and Hendricks followed him in.

Inside the personnel transport were eleven other soldiers and the three scientists. Everyone was ready. Once the two final members found their seats the rear door to the transport closed. The vehicles started up and left the ship. The three vehicles sped towards the mountain in the distance. The route was pretty straightforward, the only obstacle was a large cluster of trees that was in the route. A path had been partially cleared earlier, but the vehicles were going to still need to plow through a dozen or so.

The convoy was about an hour in when they came across the small forest. They approached slowly. Protocol normally requires the area to be scouted before being entered, but since the area was cleared earlier it wasn’t a mandatory action. Soon they were going to wish they had. About halfway through they came across an obstacle, it appeared to be a wall had been made out of the downed trees.

“Ok, we need to clear this, you two set up some charges.” Captain Jun pointed at two random soldiers. “Move soldiers!” He ordered.

“Yes Sir!” They both responded with a salute

The vehicles came to a stop. The two soldiers grabbed incendiary charges and left the transport vehicle to deal with the road block.

The gunner on the tank was keeping an eye out for any movement. Something didn’t seem right, that's when he noticed something glisten in the tree’s. Before he could inform the captain he noticed smoke coming from under the personnel transport. The next thing the gunner saw and heard was a white flash and a loud bang. What ensued after was chaos over a dozen griffons and ponies came charging from out of the trees. The soldier's instincts kicked in and he opened up on them. All the soldiers in the transport left and began a counter assault. A bomb was thrown at one the soldiers and exploded in his face killing him the shrapnel from the device injured another.

The ambush left the soldiers disorganised. Captain Jun was trying to regain control of the situation. The situation was even harder to control due to the fact that the enemies were using melee weapons and making it almost impossible for the tank gunner to get clean shots. Captain Jun did something a little unorthodox. He primed the two flashbangs he had on him and threw them in the air. They detonated above the mass. This startled and blinded most of the attackers giving his soldiers the edge they needed to push back.

The assailants began to fall one by one, but they had one last trick. Captain Jun looked up in time to see the archers.

“There in the trees!” Jun shouted.

The gunner was able to take one of them out before two arrows pierced his arm. He tried to continue firing but he couldn’t feel his hand.

Once one of the soldiers were clear of the enemies he pulled up his rifle and began firing up into the trees killing two and injuring another. Jun dealt with the remaining archers killing the remaining two. Captain Jun saw one of the griffons running away from the battle but before he could chase after him one of the ponies came from behind and tackled him to the ground. He didn’t stay on him for much longer private Alex managed to get over to Jun and smashed the back of the ponies skull with his rifle.

“Good work private.” Jun got back on his feet and assessed the situation.

Jun looked to see that the rest of the attackers were dealt with. Most were dead the ones that were not killed were being secured. Jun walked over to the soldier that was killed. He paid his respects and said a quick prayer.

“Ok everyone secure the prisoners and form up. I need to radio command.” Jun got back into the transport and got on the radio to notify command about what had happened.

---------------------------------- The Institute ----------------------------------

I was getting a tour of the institute from Lyra. The facility was surprisingly advanced to what I expected. Not to mention the architecture was beautiful as well. I was considering hiring a pony to design me a house if they could make it look half as good as what I have seen in Canterlot so far.

“Over here is where we…” Lyra was cut off.

“Commander, the convoy was attacked.” Jane showed me a mental play of what had happened.

“Dammit. One dead, three injured.” I sighed. “I want a team to scout the area see if any of them escaped.”

“Already done sir.” Jane replied.

“Good. How long until the convoy arrives.” Jane showed me the route and estimated time of arrival. “Fifteen minutes.”

“What happened?” Lyra asked worriedly.

“It’s not important right now. What is important right now is what is coming. Three injured soldiers. Does this place have an operating room and capable staff?”

“Yes, one of the best surgeons works here.” Lyra gasped. “I’ll go and alert the medical staff immediately.” Lyra sprinted off to go let the doctors know they were going to have a surprise visit.

“Have I ever told you I hate surprises?” I looked down at Mimic.

“No.” Mimic answered.

“Well I do.”

“Commander I hate to say this but there is something else.” Jane spoke up.

“What?” I was getting kind of annoyed.

“You have received an encrypted message. It’s from your advisor.” I froze.

“What does the message say?”

“I cannot decrypt the file.” Jane replied.

“Always with these games.” I sighed. “I wish he would make things easier for me sometimes.”

“Who is this person… your advisor?” Mimic asked.

“He is a ghost. Someone I have known since I was still in highschool and my number two.” I walked over to a bench and sat down. “One thing is certain, when ever he contacts me it’s always important. Jane I need you to send a message to Celestia right away.”

“Right away Commander.” Jane replied.

---------------------------------- The Castle Barracks ----------------------------------

Midnight was sleeping peacefully in her bunk. That was until she was rudely awakened by another guard. Midnight looked to see it was a rookie, a rookie who was about to get chewed out.

“What is the meaning of this?” Midnight growled angrily.

“Sorry ma’am but Celestia has requested to see you.” The rookie replied showing her a letter.

Midnight read it and sighed. She got out of her bed and went to her locker to get her armor. She was exhausted. Her normal eight hour night shift turned into a sixteen hour shift when she was assigned a missing pony case. In the end she found him. He had just gotten lost.

Midnight had more important things to worry about now. She finished putting her armor on and grabbed her spear before she headed up to the throne room where Celestia and Luna were waiting for her.

When Midnight entered she knew that what they had called her up for was far more important than what she had previously suspected. Several other high ranking military officials were in the throne room as well. Even the griffon general was there. The room was buzzing with activity ponies moving back and forth talking amongst each other.

Luna waved Midnight over to see her.

“What do you need princess?” Midnight asked as she bowed.

“We believe Black Jack was involved in the attempted capture of a dangerous creature.” Luna levitated a file to Midnight.

Author's Note:

Couldn't sleep... So Here is another chapter.