• Published 17th Sep 2015
  • 3,315 Views, 38 Comments

A Man and an Army - Saffron



A search for a mysterious energy reading leads a Commander to Equestria

  • ...
22
 38
 3,315

The Legend of Mor'grol (Edited)

Mirror and another changeling named Copycat gathered all the changelings outside. Mimic waited until everyling was present before he began. It didn’t take long for them all to gather. Mimic explained the situation without adding the small detail of the ones who were offering them this were aliens from another world. The group of changelings listened to Mimics every word. When he finished they voted on whether to stay or to go.

“Raise your hoof if you want to leave.” Mimic said.

Thirteen out of the sixteen raised their hooves.

“It's settled then. We will leave.” Mimic said.

Mimic left them and rejoined the group of ponies.

“They accepted.” Mimic said to Astor.

“That is great news. I also have some good news. I just requested some backup, they are sending a four man squad. They should be here in about twenty minutes.” Astor said.

“Did you warn them about Mor’grol?” Captain Sharp asked.

“Yes. They are coming with some weapons that should be able to kill that creature.” Astor said.

“Well, hopefully they can kill it before it kills them.” Captain Sharp said.

“Don’t worry, they are trained…” Before Astor could finish two screams come from behind them. They quickly rushed over to see what the commotion was about.

“What's wrong?” Mimic asked.

“A creature just jumped from one of the tree’s and took Copycat!” One of the changelings said in a terrified voice.

“HEEEEELP!!!” A cry in the distance echoed.

“Healing with me, Darkest get in the air and give me some cover!” Astor ordered.

“Stand down.” Captain Sharp counter ordered.

“Listen Sharp. If we don’t go now, we might have a chance at saving him!” Astor yelled.

“He is already dead.” Captain Sharp said coldly.

“If you and your soldiers won't go. I will.” Astor said.

Astor ran in the forest and went in the direction of the scream. About fifty yards in he found some green goo and followed it. The trail lead to Copycat, he was severely injured missing chitin from his stomach. Astor quickly picked him and ran back to the village as fast as he could. Luckily the creature seemed to have gone somewhere else and Astor made it back without any problems.

“Healing I need you now!” Astor ordered.

Healing rushed over with her bag of medical supplies and dropped them in horror. Astor looked down to see why. The changeling’s insides were ravaged. As if something had eaten part of his abdomen. Astor quickly set him down and just stared. The worst part however was the fact the changeling was still alive.

“Noooo!” A changeling cried out and ran over to Copycat.

“Reflect…” Copycat wheezed out.

“Shhh… Save your breath… You are hurt.” Reflect said through her sobs.

“Don’t… Cry…” Copycat struggled to say. “Every… thing… Is fine.”

Reflect held Copycat in her arms as he slowly lost his strength to live. “Save your strength.”

“I… Love you… Reflect… Tell our son…” Copycat never finished. He went limp in Reflects hooves.

“Tell our son what? Copycat, wakeup. Copycat!” Reflect broke down crying over her husband's body. She held him tight not letting go.

Astor walked over to Captain Sharp and sat down.

“Tell me everything you know about that creature. I need to know to prevent another death!” Astor demanded.

“Very well, this is what I know.” Captain Sharp said.

---------------------------------- The Legend of Mor’grol ----------------------------------

Around the time Equestria was founded they say there were monsters far more vicious and vile that roamed the lands. Most of them were killed off and a few were captured. One of the creatures captured was Mor’grol. He was an alpha of his kind. The rest of his pack was killed. He was studied by a group of scholars and magi. They discovered that his kind were a magical hybrid composed of various creatures, they could only determine three of the creatures it was made of. Dragon, Unicorn, and Changeling. It was given the name Mor’grol because they suspected that Mor’grol the great necromancer of the east created it and it's kind. They studied it extensively and decided to make it into a warrior. A warrior that could not be defeated. They enhanced all of its senses. The made it so it could smell blood, hear hoofsteps, and see its prey from a mile away. They increased its speed and agility tenfold. Finally they gave it armor that was enchanted with invincibility so its armor would never break. Its also said that it can understand us, but cannot speak. Everything changed one day when discord came, he released the creature and it killed most of the ponies that were in the building. After Discord's imprisonment most of the research was burned and there was an investigation funded by the crown to investigate the group that studied the creature. They found evidence of dark rituals being practiced there and the institute was shut down. There were some sightings of a creature heading into the forest around that time but nothing ever came of it. Until Celestia found some documents on it around seven years ago. She assembled thirteen of the elite guard including me and she sent us to capture it. It was like an assassin picking us off one by one. As you know only myself and Burning Blaze made it out alive.

---------------------------------- The Everfree Forest ----------------------------------

“So, Lieutenant Hargrave do you know what we are looking for?” Private Ryan asked.

“Well Astor said they were attacked by some creature called Mor’grol and that it is a threat.” Hargrave said.

“So, we just have to kill a creature. Why couldn’t Astor do it himself?” Ryan asked.

“Apparently the armor the creature has deflected all the damage from his rifle.” Hargrave said.

“I think Astor just got lazy and decided to call us in. I mean does he honestly think we believe that story? He has a laser rifle with a compact focusing lens. It can take out a cargo ship.” Sergeant Zuko said.

“Well we will know more when we get there and ask him.” Hargrave said.

“What do you think really happened Alice?” Zuko asked.

Private Alice did not reply. Zuko waited a few seconds before he turned around.

“Yo Alice. Come out.” Zuko said impatiently.

The three heard a soft thump nearby and Zuko went to investigate.

“Alice come out. We all heard you.” Zuko said. He waited a few seconds before he continued in. What he saw caused him to fall backwards and scramble away.

Alice’s body laid there torn open. Her head missing. Zuko stayed on the ground un-able to speak.

“Sergeant, what's wrong?” Hargrave asked.

“Alice… Is dead sir.” He stammered out.

“This is no time for jokes sergeant.” Hargrave said.

“I am not joking! Go look for yourself.” Zuko said.

“Very well, and if she just jumps out and goes boo, I am going to have both your rations cut in half.” Hargrave said firmly.

The Lieutenant walked over to where Zuko said her body was and was mortified by what he saw. Alice’s mangled body.

“What the… Ryan, Zuko. Scan the area, find what did this.” Hargrave said coldly.

“Yes sir.” They both said.

Zuko and Ryan looked around trying to spot whatever creature killed Alice. Hargrave collected Alice’s dog tags.

“Rest now, your gods will guide you to peace.” Hargrave said.

Hargrave started walking back to the other two soldiers when he felt a slight pain in his shoulder and heard something hit the ground. He looked down to see an arm. He went to pick it up and when he tried he couldn’t. He looked at his side only to see empty space where his arm was suppose to be. Before he could cry out a black spike was pushed through his back and penetrated his heart. He fell over dead hitting the ground startling Ryan and Zuko.

“Fire!” Zuko ordered.

The two soldiers opened up on the creature. It dodged most of the blasts the rest hit the creature's armor. It quickly jumped up into the treetops. They both stopped firing as soon as it disappeared from view.

“Ryan we need to get to the changeling village stat!” Zuko yelled.

“Yes sir.” Ryan replied.

They both began sprinting towards the village. The creature following them in the treetops. The village was in view they were only a few yards to go. Zuko made it to the village just in time to turn around and see the creature drag Ryan away screaming. Zuko ran into the village. He found Astor quickly.

“Astor, we need to save private Ryan!” Zuko shouted out frantically.

“Where is he?” Astor asked.

“This creature just dragged him off a few seconds ago!” Zuko said frantically.

“Zuko, if the creature has him, he is already dead.” Astor said sadly. “There is nothing we can do for him.”

“Where are the others?” Captain Sharp asked.

“They are dead.” Zuko said remorsefully.

“Did you even injure the creature?” Astor asked.

“Our weapons were completely useless.” Zuko said.

“Dammit.” Astor muttered. “We need more support.”

“Do you want more to die?” Captain Sharp asked. “Then go right ahead and send more to their deaths.”

“I have to agree with the pony on this one.” Zuko said.

“My name is Sharp Edge.” Captain Sharp clarified.

“What do suggest then?” Astor asked.

“We need to make a run for it.” Tea Leaf said from behind them.

“The ship is roughly two miles away, if we just run for it that creature will kill half our group. Starting with those who pose the biggest threat.” Captain Sharp said.

“You also forgot the part where we are here to escort the changelings back.” Astor said.

“Well what do you suggest?” Zuko asked.

“Embers could keep it at bay, at least for awhile. She did a good job in the forest when it first attacked us and our rifles can slow it down. We could cover the group on the way to the ship.” Astor said.

“Hmm, that plan seems feasible.” Captain Sharp said.

Their planning was interrupted by a blood curdling shriek followed by a scream. They rushed over to find Darkest on the ground bleeding. He was missing one of his bat wings.

“What happened?” Captain Sharp asked.

“My wing… I can’t feel my wing.” Darkest gasped out. “Where is my wing?!”

Healing quickly began using her magic to seal the wound.

“He’s in shock. I need to calm him down and somepony get him some warm blankets.” Healing said.

Embers searched through her saddle bag and removed a blanket and rushed over with it heating it on the way over. Healing took the blanket and wrapped Darkest in it.

“Darkest, listen, everything is fine.” Healing said in a calming tone.

“Where… Is it?” He asked.

“Do not worry about that. Look into my eyes. Let your fears melt away.” Healing whispered to Darkest.

Darkest stared into Healings eyes as she spoke to him, he began feeling tired and closed his eyes.

“He needs rest now.” Healing said.

“He doesn’t have time to rest.” Captain Sharp said.

“Listen, we think we figured out a way to get back. When we get back he can get all the rest he needs.” Astor said.

“What is this plan?” Mimic asked from behind them.

“Embers, Zuko, and myself will cover everyone on the way to the ship. You and the rest of the changelings will stay in a tight formation. If the creature happens to get past us Tea Leaf and Sharp Edge will engage it.” Astor explained.

“I will gather everyling so we can leave.” Mimic said.

“Hurry, the longer we stay here the longer we are sitting ducks.” Astor said.

Mimic went off and gathered all the changelings and informed them of the plan. They quickly started forming a compact group with the young and females in the middle and the remaining warriors were spread out on the outside of the formation. Once they formed up Mimic went back to Astor and the others to inform them that they were ready to leave.

“We are ready.” Mimic said to Astor.

“Good, Embers you take point. Zuko and myself will cover the rear. Tea Leaf you are going to be covering the right and Sharp you will cover the left. Healing you are going to carry Darkest so you will join the changelings. Understood?” Astor said.

They all agreed and went to take their positions. Once they were in their assigned positions they made one last check.

“Everyone in position?” Astor asked.

They all sounded off then began the journey back into the Everfree.

Author's Note:

I would just like to thank Castok the Shadow once more for Mor'grol the creature in the Everfee. Also I am still recruiting OC's for more details please click here .